AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Those were exhibition matches, not part of an official league competition.

Still AFLW, but does highlight how Pies and Carlton were gifted opening round. Nothing particularly historic about it as opposed to if it was given to the clubs putting effort in.

This round has shown that there is entertainment to be had when teams at similar standards play one another.

Haven’t given it any serious thought but there’s an argument to be made that AFLW should consider becoming a 2 division competition.

Split it 9/9 or 10/8, everyone plays once and top 4 make finals. Top 4 from div 2 replace bottom 4 from div 1 each year.

Like I said I haven’t given this any serious thought but we need to maximise game ls between like teams. Dogs/Blues/Pies/Bombers have been terrible watches because they get pumped and are non competitive. This weekend all their games are fantastic

This round has shown that there is entertainment to be had when teams at similar standards play one another.

Haven’t given it any serious thought but there’s an argument to be made that AFLW should consider becoming a 2 division competition.

Split it 9/9 or 10/8, everyone plays once and top 4 make finals. Top 4 from div 2 replace bottom 4 from div 1 each year.

Like I said I haven’t given this any serious thought but we need to maximise game ls between like teams. Dogs/Blues/Pies/Bombers have been terrible watches because they get pumped and are non competitive. This weekend all their games are fantastic
Yeah well you can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather. Injuries, list changes via trade and draft, plus general improvement and form slumps will always make a mockery of a two-division attempt to maximise close games.

Carl/Coll/WB this year each play 6 teams from 2023's bottom 9. Carlton have been thumped in 4 of those games. Collingwood 3. Bulldogs 2 and still have Fremantle next week.

Come on - all of those teams except Essendon have been in it since the start. Just get better

Pretty sure I just saw a field umpire cheat. Boundary umpire clearly calls a lasso, field umpire comes in and questions it. Boundary umpire clearly reaffirmed his call. Field umpire continues to debate with him and tells him to call a throw in. What a ****ing joke.
Yeah idiotic by the field umpire.

Also, further to a point I made earlier today, the ball went over the line with 5.10 left on the clock. Wasn't thrown back in until 4.30 left on the clock. 40 seconds of playing time pissed right down the drain.

Come on - all of those teams except Essendon have been in it since the start. Just get better
It’s not about that. I don’t care that it’s my club or anyone else’s down the bottom. Two bad teams playing a close game as we’ve seen 3 times this weekend, is far better for women’s footy than Brisbane and north beating teams 80-2.

Unfortunately the status quo is a poor product more often than not because there is a chasm between the haves and the have nots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not about that. I don’t care that it’s my club or anyone else’s down the bottom. Two bad teams playing a close game as we’ve seen 3 times this weekend, is far better for women’s footy than Brisbane and north beating teams 80-2.

Unfortunately the status quo is a poor product more often than not because there is a chasm between the haves and the have nots.
Anybody with a brain understands close contests are better to watch than blowouts.

But the crystal ball is always cloudy except for when you look into the past. Nobody can identify the haves and have nots ahead of time at a success rate much beyond ~50%.

At a guess I think that Melb, Nth, Adel, Bris playing more games against each other has helped them to become stronger teams.
And that’s from the Coach down.

The more you play against the best the more you’ll learn and the quicker you’ll develop. It’s a hard watch sometimes but it’ll help the competition in the long run I think.

Not a good look with the Sheerin push on Nanscawen.
I can see how she was trying to push her to one side of the ump and trying to get separation running around the other side.
All players would know if you shove a player into the umpire deliberately it’ll be trouble.
I just think with 90secs to go and a point down in our fwd 50, it all just went a bit sideways trying to do it.
Massive diff in penalty careless to intentional with finals a week away.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back