Preview Round 9 - Hawks vs Tigers - Changes and General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HH why do you worry so much about the Tigers?

Relax, we will win quite easy they are not as dangerous as most in here seem to think they are.
They are very young and thin down back, they have no dangerous big forwards apart from a crying whinging out of form Revolting the second and they don't have a great ruck combo, only Ivan the great.
Don't forget last season when we played them we lost Stratts early in the game where as this time round we will hopefully have all of Ghilly, Gibo, Stratts and Shoey play out the game.
Bruest, Savage, Shiels, Smith, Popy all have had an extra year in the system and Hale is in pretty good form and we have Lewis who i say is leading the B&F at the moment..

Relax and enjoy the win.....:thumbsu:

yes i think Lew would be and thank you for making me laugh i will try to relax and Thank you Phil too :) both of you are helping me relax i call revolting sooky sooky la la and he takes after his sooky sooky la la cousing they both sook too much

hope we thrash them by heaps

I truly believe that we are in a totally different class to the current top 4... We are a genuine flag threat and really should be sitting in the top 4..

Enough already.

FFS - you are gonna look like the world's biggest tool if we lose, and if you have any idea about footy - could happen.

When you are starting to piss people off on your own board - what does that tell you?

Enough already.

FFS - you are gonna look like the world's biggest tool if we lose, and if you have any idea about footy - could happen.

When you are starting to piss people off on your own board - what does that tell you?

The Dees game people were calling that a danger game, the Freo game people were calling that a danger game. Now the Tigers game people are calling this a danger game..

FFS!! Simple fact is that no matter how much the Tigers have improved, we are a much BETTER side and should win by 4+ goals if we are a top 4 side..

But hey you don't have to worry about it, I certainly wont be hanging around in here if we lose!!!!!!!

My money would be on no change for tonight's teams. The only one may be Gunston in and Poppy out.

Poppy didn't get much of the ball but his forward pressure was sensational (although only 2 tackles). You could tell Freo felt under pressure whenever they had the ball in defense and he contributed to this. Given his output however, its not unreasonable to be replaced by Gunston who potentially offers more.

All I have heard about last weeks game at Box Hill was that McCauley was good in the ruck and Gunstan kicked his bag of 7, Poppy, correct me if im wrong, didnt collect a kick last weekend? That is obviously, for someone who maybe isnt thinking through it all a easy straight swap, however, they are two totally different type of players. On one hand Poppy creates so much pressure on the defence when they are coming out, but on the other Gunstan is a good lead up option with good hands.

Now both these options have their advantages against an inexperienced Richmond backline with few talls. I would think Rance would go to Franklin and either Batchelor or even Post, who was good at VFL level last week and will probably come in to play on the Roughead/Hale combination but if Gunstan comes in as well that creates a possible headache for Richmond, or if McCauley comes in to play ruck then Hale, Roughead and Franklin would all be forward to stretch that shortish defence.

The other option is Poppy stays and puts pressure on Houli, Newman, Morris and Deledio coming out of their defence. What I have seen of Richmond is when they are pressured they are turning the ball over a lot, its when the game turns into a free flowing game full of running that they are great to watch, so potentially that is a good way to go.

Either way, I dont think there is a bad option, whatever the match commitee choose to do will be a good decision and done for a reason. I went and watched the tigers play last week and this will be a cracker, a close, fast game.

Given the conditions are supposed to be poor, I'd expect 'no change'.

Bingo. Poppy isn't usually this quiet. His pressure was superb. In doing his role (along with Cyril), it freed up Bruest.

I can see Gunston coming into the team soon if his form warrants it BUT:

It will probably mean Buddy plays a similar role as he did against Freo, except just drift into the fwd line a little more often. If he plays, I reckon the likely tactic is that when Gunston is deeper in the fwd line, keep him with Roughy, Cyril, Bruest, Poppy, etc. In this case, Franklin drifts outside the fwd 50 arc and try to get to where the ball is, if it comes out.

Conversely, When Gunston leads outside the fwd 50 arc, Buddy can try to drift into the fwd line and present another option.

In both cases, it enables our fwd line speed/pressure to remain and presents unpredictable options (which Clarko wants). Gunston is also a much better set shot than Buddy, so he doesn't need as many opportunities to kick 3 to 4 goals.

My 2 cents worth of how both Gunston (if in form) could play in this team without losing the forward pressure and speed we need. (Yet have goal scoring options). The plus is that Gunston also gets to develop more and more.

Does anyone think that if Puopolo stays in the team, that he might play in defense? The Tigers have Nahas and King. Now Guerra will go to one of them most likely, Puopolo needs to go back into defense. He played really good footy for us last year playing in the back pocket.

Does anyone think that if Puopolo stays in the team, that he might play in defense? The Tigers have Nahas and King. Now Guerra will go to one of them most likely, Puopolo needs to go back into defense. He played really good footy for us last year playing in the back pocket.
Poppy isnt in as good form as he was last year, the torn hammy and playing a few weeks in a row as the sub has probably contributed to this, if he holds his spot you are right in your thinking that he may be used in defence on the tigers smalls, however the match committee might bring in Gunston on the back of his 7 goals at box hill, and try to stretch the tiger defence, he did kick a bag against them last year playing for the crows. Poppy could do with playing a full game at box hill to get some game miles in the legs.

He could be used at both ends and depending on his fitness he could have stints in the midfield to assist with the rotations.

Will be interesting:thumbsu:

I'd prefer him up forward personally, his pressure is too important up there for me. Similarly with Cyril, i don't care how fit he gets i want him in our forward line not the midfield.

We have Burgoyne who did a job on Milne so he will play on one of them and we always have Birchall who plays well on smalls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pops get's a game he competed and pressure relentlessly on saturday the stat's mean nothing. Also Richmond are trying to play a game more like ours where we precise kick it in the backline there inexperience can be exploited by pops and rioli not the lumbering big men.

Also Lewis goes to dids and should smash him

All I have heard about last weeks game at Box Hill was that McCauley was good in the ruck and Gunstan kicked his bag of 7, Poppy, correct me if im wrong, didnt collect a kick last weekend? That is obviously, for someone who maybe isnt thinking through it all a easy straight swap, however, they are two totally different type of players. On one hand Poppy creates so much pressure on the defence when they are coming out, but on the other Gunstan is a good lead up option with good hands.

If you want to know more about how Box Hill played last weekend, try this thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946379

Another thing to think about when picking teams is that a player dropped from the side won't have an opportunity to play for Box Hill, as neither the seniors nor development squad have a game this weekend.

Probably give him another week to see if it wasn't a fluke. Could also be a concern that we're playing too tall up forward but it would be interesting to see how Gunston goes on a wing or HBF this week at Box Hill.

All this talk of Gunston coming in. Didnt even make the emergencies list.

Cheney, McCauley and Bruce

What a joke...how bruces named can be put ahead of any of the hawthorn listed players is a disgrace.what good are we getting out of him short term or long term????

What a joke...how bruces named can be put ahead of any of the hawthorn listed players is a disgrace.what good are we getting out of him short term or long term????
Put the gun down, son.

He's just an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back