Round 9 - St Kilda vs Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

thomas_m18

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
Melbourne, Aus
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alright, let's look forward to the Melbourne game. After such a shocking game on the weekend, it's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but Melbourne are struggling with injuries with Trengove and Dunn suspended at well, so it could be the ideal match to shark a win.

On changes, there's a plethora of people that could be dropped, but at a minimum, we will almost definitely see at least:

OUT: Baker (susp.), McQualter
IN: Montagna, Smith/Winmar

Smith ahead of Winmar on his performance on the weekend, but Winmar ahead on consistant VFL performance, although Smith does have prior AFL experiences. McQualter obviously a liability judging from being subbed at HT, so he's most likely gone too. Those are the minimum changes, others will be swung, but I'm not sure exactly what. What do you guys think?

Out: Baker (susp), McQualter, Kosi
In: Montagna, Smith, Stanley

Need somebody to start helping win the ruck, and sadly, he's the last hope we've got. Archer could come in, I suppose, but he's not a ruck, really... mind you, not sure Stanley is either, but hey.

Doesn't matter. This is just one long 2012 pre-season now.

Out: Baker (susp), McQualter, Kosi
In: Montagna, Smith, Stanley

Need somebody to start helping win the ruck, and sadly, he's the last hope we've got. Archer could come in, I suppose, but he's not a ruck, really... mind you, not sure Stanley is either, but hey.

Doesn't matter. This is just one long 2012 pre-season now.

Would be happy with those changes, if not Smith than one of our other young mids like Winmar or Ledger.

I'd like to see Stanley get another run but I doubt they will drop Kosi even though he was pretty awful yesterday. Kosi was pretty good against Carlton so maybe deserves a second chance.

Could maybe even give McEvoy a spell and replace him with Stanley. The Dees ruck stocks aren't very strong at the moment with Jamar injured, I think they had Stefan Martin as their ruckman against North who is really only a pinch hitter at best.

I think there will be a few changes and some players carry a yet unknown injury and need a week off (but will of course not play in the VFL)...

Out: Baker (susp), Goddard (inj), McQualter, Gram, Steven

In: Montagna, Blake, Clarke, Winmar, Lynch

Is Lynch fit? He got smashed in the VFL physically on the weekend, so he might need the week off, but you'd have to give him a shot soon if fit.

I can see why Ross loves Blake, Eddy, Baker and Dempster, among others. They give it all. They're not talented or skilled, but they persevere and give their all for the club. A lot of players could learn from then on that front. We need more like that in times like these.

Oh, and Cripps NEEDS to play a whole game this week.

Out Baker(Susp) , McQualter ( Inadequate), Gram(WTF) , Steven ( just a spell ).

In Montagna, Smith, Lynch ( If OK - otherwise Simpkin ), Winmar.

Cripps to play a full game ( or at least 3/4) , Winmar Sub, Goddard to play off the backline.

I also have no objection to Dropping Kosi and bringing in Stanley.

Heyne and Ledger on the radar for future games. ( Need to string a few good VFL performances together.)

Anything short of a solid win this week will be totally unacceptable for the following reasons...

- Melbourne have been massacred by injury and suspension lately and its list is serverly depleted coming into this game.

- We should be able to dominate the ruck with no Mark Jamar for the Demons. Although judging by last weeks poor effort I'm not so sure.

- Melbourne's horrible record at Etihad Stadium. Our home, our fortress, the place where we do our best work. Saturday afternoon in perfect conditions, no excuses.

- A turn around from last weeks insipid, embarrasing and disgraceful effort is a non-negotiable.

Im looking forward to this game, unfortunatly I can't attend due to local football commitments but I'll be keeping an ear open for updates throughout the day. It's hard to say who should be in or out, but If I had to select, it be close to....

OUT: Steven Baker (Susp.), Jason Gram, Andrew McQualter
IN: Leigh Montagna, Alistair Smith, Tom Lynch

Maybe Jack Steven for Ryan Gamble too, but that's a tough one.

Cripps to play a full game ( or at least 3/4) , Winmar Sub, Goddard to play off the backline.

Heyne and Ledger on the radar for future games. ( Need to string a few good VFL performances together.)

agre - gram is on the WTF list at the moment.

I think steven stays though. Kosi to play.

Out: Demptser, Baker, McQualter, Gram
In: Montagna, Smith, Lynch, Winmar

Lynch to take Dempster's spot as IMO he has better awareness and is more efficient by hand and foot.
Smith for Baker. Al can play that lookdown role, and has more speed to run off and make his opponent accountable. As well as the obvious fact that Baker is rubbed out.
Montagna needs not be explained and Winmar would come in for McQualter and play as a sub in his first appearance.

Even last season it would be laughable to think we could drop this game. It's no gimme now

Despite our poor season to date, Melbourne's injuries and suspensions should still see us get over the line, but only if we bring some decent level of intensity to the game. The Dees must not be underestimated. Paper talent is not enough

OUT: Baker, McQualter
IN: Montagna, Winmar

As Roos mentioned last night, what about putting Goddard onto Maloney, not as much as a hard tag but purely to say "this is your man, now go out and beat him"? How much better is Roos on On The Couch than Hird? Stacks I reckon

I actually didn't see the game against Hawthorn (sounds like a blessing) so not sure who else might deserve to be dropped, or who deserves to be brought in. That being the case I have only picked on McQualter because he doesn't bring anything that can't be fairly easily replaced at the moment

Our next tilt at the flag will be without Clarke, so I see no reason to bring him in. Same argument could be used to drop Blake, but I think we have enough kids in the side right now and don't want to mess too much

Out: Demptser, Baker, McQualter, Gram
In: Montagna, Smith, Lynch, Winmar

Lynch to take Dempster's spot as IMO he has better awareness and is more efficient by hand and foot.
Smith for Baker. Al can play that lookdown role, and has more speed to run off and make his opponent accountable. As well as the obvious fact that Baker is rubbed out.
Montagna needs not be explained and Winmar would come in for McQualter and play as a sub in his first appearance.

Smith can play in the midfield, can get a bit of the contested ball and can find the goals on occasion, ( kicked a long one on the weekend ) I'd hate to try to turn him into a one dimensional run with player in the backline.

Whats with the love for Simpkin i am yet to be convinced he can take the step up, not strong enough body wise.

Jones i suppose he'll pick up Moloney other wise what's his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Roos mentioned last night, what about putting Goddard onto Maloney, not as much as a hard tag but purely to say "this is your man, now go out and beat him"? How much better is Roos on On The Couch than Hird? Stacks I reckon

Well they've pretty much already done that with Goddard, he played on both Deledio and Gibbs and was soundly beaten. Can't recall if he played on anyone in the Hawks game but given he had another shocker it's unlikely he would have beaten whoever he played on.

Goddard is probably better off just trying to play as a spare man, even at his best he isn't all that accountable and in the form he is in at the moment whoever he plays on has been running amok and close to BOG while Goddard is having very little influence himself. At least when he is in good form you would back him to do more damage in a head to head battle.

Wouldn't mind seeing him played up forward a bit more but I guess with our midfield struggling and our defence constantly under the pump he has been used there more.

Whats with the love for Simpkin i am yet to be convinced he can take the step up, not strong enough body wise.

Jones i suppose he'll pick up Moloney other wise what's his role.

No love, purely based on fairly consistant VFL performances.

Not sure about his strength, Saints.com have him the same height and weight as Johnson, heavier than Lynch ( 2Kg lighter than much taller Kosi ). Heavier than Blake. Is he just fat?

I'm more concerned about his height.

Well they've pretty much already done that with Goddard, he played on both Deledio and Gibbs and was soundly beaten. Can't recall if he played on anyone in the Hawks game but given he had another shocker it's unlikely he would have beaten whoever he played on.

Goddard is probably better off just trying to play as a spare man, even at his best he isn't all that accountable and in the form he is in at the moment whoever he plays on has been running amok and close to BOG while Goddard is having very little influence himself. At least when he is in good form you would back him to do more damage in a head to head battle.

Wouldn't mind seeing him played up forward a bit more but I guess with our midfield struggling and our defence constantly under the pump he has been used there more.

I hear ya, but I think those occasions were more Dids and Gibbs playing on Goddard, and not the other way around.

No love, purely based on fairly consistant VFL performances.

Not sure about his strength, Saints.com have him the same height and weight as Johnson, heavier than Lynch ( 2Kg lighter than much taller Kosi ). Heavier than Blake. Is he just fat?

I'm more concerned about his height.

Has been good this year.

Agree that he lacks a couple of centimetres (also needs as much intensity when he has the ball as when he doesn't - bit too casual at times).

Had 10 spoils in the game against Box Hill. Averages 6 per game along with 15 possessions and 2.7 tackles. 14 frees for and 7 against suggests his body positioning is pretty decent. No fumbles recorded all year (a few kicking turnovers though). Note I don't normally have these extra stats.

RL conceded last week, so the time has come for change.... finally!!!

FB. winmar dawson lynch
HB. goddard fisher gwilt
C. ray armitage gilbert
HF. heyne riewoldt schneider
FF. milne stanley sippos
F. mcevoy dal santo montagna
B. cripps steven dempster smith(sub)

Does anybody know whats going on with nick heyne? I remember that sheahan dude saying he was one to look out for when we picked him up and could turn out to be a steal at pick 48

Does anybody know whats going on with nick heyne? I remember that sheahan dude saying he was one to look out for when we picked him up and could turn out to be a steal at pick 48

Was struggling to move around in one of the games I watched, and his knee has been heavily strapped of late. Still has great goal sense, but just isn't getting enough of the ball (is only averaging 12 possessions). Missed a couple of very gettable shots against Williamstown. Also haven't seen him jump at the footy since the Round 1 game (not sure if that's related to the knee).

Saw this from pre-draft comments:

A versatile medium forward/midfielder who can provide good run, Heyne is a strong mark and also possesses good goal sense. He is an AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Orbost-Snowy Rovers F.C.

The author : Chelsea Roffey!

Was struggling to move around in one of the games I watched, and his knee has been heavily strapped of late. Still has great goal sense, but just isn't getting enough of the ball (is only averaging 12 possessions). Missed a couple of very gettable shots against Williamstown. Also haven't seen him jump at the footy since the Round 1 game (not sure if that's related to the knee).

Saw this from pre-draft comments:

A versatile medium forward/midfielder who can provide good run, Heyne is a strong mark and also possesses good goal sense. He is an AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Orbost-Snowy Rovers F.C.

The author : Chelsea Roffey!

cheers

Of course we'll win, Jamar is injured, they have no ruck stocks to speak of.

Oh, wait.

;)

Whilst I'm not saying that Simmo comes in, I did notice the contrast between the VFL best players and the votes by the club (for the match just played).

VFL best
Lourey Magner Smith Lynch Peake Heyne

Club votes​
3 – J.Magner
2 – T.Simpkin​
1 – M.Lourey

Heyne was named among the Best on the weekend, but he needs to put a few together IMO.
SEN today was taking calls about StKilda. LOL at the guy who says "get rid of McEvoy, he's no good , we need to play more kids "
Hello he's not yet 22.

oh dear, i wonder what main board poster that was?

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 9 - St Kilda vs Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back