Autopsy Round 9 vs West Coast @ OPTUS - 12/05/23 - 8:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

WC team they put out against the tigers was awful. Oscar Allen is the only thing they have going for them.

I reckon two changes:
Casboult managed (long flight on 6 day break) for Ainsworth if fit or Sexton. This is the type of game Secco lives for

Long out for Weller if fit or Farrar

Heard Holman may still be a couple weeks

WC team they put out against the tigers was awful. Oscar Allen is the only thing they have going for them.

I reckon two changes:
Casboult managed (long flight on 6 day break) for Ainsworth if fit or Sexton. This is the type of game Secco lives for

Long out for Weller if fit or Farrar

Heard Holman may still be a couple weeks
Was going to suggest they might rest big Witta, who copped a few knocks last night, for the long flight and get him ready for Brisbane. Need to manage him through the season with his workload where we can and gives Moyle another run at it, this time not against a top 5 ruck.

But then again, we need to put a win on the board here and Levi might be a more likely out if a few come back or we want to give Burgo a go.

Was going to suggest they might rest big Witta, who copped a few knocks last night, for the long flight and get him ready for Brisbane. Need to manage him through the season with his workload where we can and gives Moyle another run at it, this time not against a top 5 ruck.

But then again, we need to put a win on the board here and Levi might be a more likely out if a few come back or we want to give Burgo a go.

Whenever Witt's doesn't play we are a good chance to lose. Has to play whenever available. If it were a game against the cats at GMHBA that's a game you would consider resting resting him.

Reckon chol gets a game for the sling tackle, burgess could get his chance. Would be happy to see Jeffery get a shot at half back if long misses. Depends on weller, ainsworth and holman fitness but if fit berry and Flanders make way.

Na not much support to be honest, there's a few of us scattered around and a few behind the goals, but it's a long way to go before we reach the noise that the Vic Army are making on tv
Well this is a great opportunity for us to build the WA fanbase then. Especially considering both WC and Freo seem to be struggling this year. There may be some frustrated West Aussies who feel like jumping on board because we're playing exciting footy/look like we're about to rise and the two WA teams aren't.

Hey boys, how do I get tickets in the suns section? Wce games are stuffed price wise, $57 for level 5 back row type of deals.

Massive WA fan here, been on suns since 2014ish.
Was on the fence bout this one but after yesterday gotta go support the boys, hopefully get an open training too been ages with covid .

Hey boys, how do I get tickets in the suns section? Wce games are stuffed price wise, $57 for level 5 back row type of deals.

Was on the fence bout this one but after yesterday gotta go support the boys, hopefully get an open training too been ages with covid .
There are tickets behind the goals available, if not just buy the cheapest tickets and move anywhere you like (Won't be packed)

I got the level 5 tickets, but you can select the opposition supporters section behind the goal for the same price.

It's very easy to just move around though from previous experience

Ballard might be better off having a spell, not sure how many a team 3-5 can rest, even against west coast. Finals should still be the goal, if we can win 3/4 in the next month we'll go into the bye with an even ledger. West Coast should be a lay up, then 2 out of the lions, dogs and crows. Giving Ballard, Witts and Casboult a rest would be nice.

I would drop Chol based on his performance last night but if there was ever a game to get him going it would be against West Coast. If he struggles in that game then it's not going to happen against the good teams.

We need to persist, he has had a few almost nights. It will click for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to persist, he has had a few almost nights. It will click for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. I get people’s frustrations, but Chol and King are our forwards. Chol has some things to work on, but when playing “badly” he still hits the scoreboard. He also does ok in the ruck and offers something different.

Working out how Chol and King can work together in the next few rounds is key to our future.

Ballard might be better off having a spell, not sure how many a team 3-5 can rest, even against west coast. Finals should still be the goal, if we can win 3/4 in the next month we'll go into the bye with an even ledger. West Coast should be a lay up, then 2 out of the lions, dogs and crows. Giving Ballard, Witts and Casboult a rest would be nice.
Have to disagree. We are 3-5 and every game counts even if it's against half a West Coast team. If they are fit they play, bye isn't too far away, they can rest then.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to disagree. We a 3-5 and every game counts even if it's against half a West Coast team. If they are fit they play, bye isn't too far away, they can rest then.
Agreed. You don't want to fall into the trap Richmond did last week when they rested Dion Prestia because they just thought they were going to steamroll us and it backfired big time and now their season is cooked. I would possibly make an exception for the 30+ players but if a 23 year old Charlie Ballard is healthy then he should be playing every week.

if we dont win this and win well (5-8 goals), we may as well pack it in.
we are a 2 goal a qtr better side.
they have hardly any fit players.
we need to score heavily as they wont be able to - a tight defensive game is what they will want.
get secco in to get 2-3 and hopefully we kick 12-15 all up and we should win.

if we dont win this and win well (5-8 goals), we may as well pack it in.
we are a 2 goal a qtr better side.
they have hardly any fit players.
we need to score heavily as they wont be able to - a tight defensive game is what they will want.
get secco in to get 2-3 and hopefully we kick 12-15 all up and we should win.
Sure, we should win but no game is easy especially going to Perth. Yes, Eagles are decimated but still got some good players in current line-up. Allen is on fire. They were something like only 8 points down with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter against Tigers. If they have a good start at home against us who knows what could happen.

We could be missing Ballard, Long, Miller, Weller, Holman, Ainsworth, Budarick.

We gave everything against Demons. There could be some sore, tired players on 6-day break and travelling.

I take 1 point win.

Last edited:
West Coast losing average in Perth this season is 8 goals from 4 games, if we aren't kicking 2 extra goals a quarter against them, I'll be filthy.
We need the % against the teams we can get it from. We have this game, Hawthorn in a few rounds and then North again in the final round to get this up.

Sure, we should win but no game is easy especially going to Perth. Yes, Eagles are decimated but still got some good players in current line-up. Allen is on fire. They were something like only 8 points down with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter against Tigers. If they have a good start at home against us who knows what could happen.

We could be missing Ballard, Long, Miller, Weller, Holman, Ainsworth, Budarick.

We gave everything against Demons. There could be some sore, tired players on 6-day break and travelling.

I take 1 point win.

No Budarick but Macpherson has replaced him

according to dew's presser, sounded like they would be touch & go, especially considering a short turnaround over in perth.
Honestly, team played well enough without them (and I’m not sure their inclusions would have helped us win).

Give them a week if they need and make the changes after. Don’t rush players in underdone (like Flanders was).

Having said that, a few players might be sore after a pretty bruising and deflating game.

I usually trust the medical team, but too many players with niggles isn’t a good idea.

If we're looking to cycle in players for a tough road trip-

Andrew/Farrar are still the best options down back
Sharp still worth a shot on the wing, Ellis was quiet and might need a week
Mclaughlin has been the best key forward , can take a mark and score from other avenues as well, he's right on Chol's heels if Mabior keeps playing like this
I think everyone knows what Sexton can bring if Dew will play him for 4 quarters
Jeffery is finding his form too
No one in the midfield really standing out atm for me, Blakely is really clean in tight but offers nothing on the outside and Hollands is still regaining confidence

If we're looking to cycle in players for a tough road trip-

Andrew/Farrar are still the best options down back
Sharp still worth a shot on the wing, Ellis was quiet and might need a week
Mclaughlin has been the best key forward , can take a mark and score from other avenues as well, he's right on Chol's heels if Mabior keeps playing like this
I think everyone knows what Sexton can bring if Dew will play him for 4 quarters
Jeffery is finding his form too
No one in the midfield really standing out atm for me, Blakely is really clean in tight but offers nothing on the outside and Hollands is still regaining confidence
IMO, Burgess is clearly better forward than McLaughlin in VFL who to me looks a typical VFL player and I suspect would struggle in AFL. While Chol pisses me off with his lack of efforts moments he did score 2 goals.

Andrew showed way more than Farrar against Casey.

Sharp can move to WA already.

I suspect if Long is out, Jeffrey would be a good replacement.

Definitely worried about Hollands. He now plays mostly in the middle and really did not show much there (and it's just VFL).

A bit surprised that people are so keen on Sexton. A bit easier to score in VFL. He did play 4 quarters against Tigers and was bottom 3 player, did not show much. He was good as a sub in 2 games.

Last edited:
Can we unanimously agree that Tistas doesn’t play in the afl side again?

Rather try OEA as the sub
Yup, Even if we're willing to chalk that first game down to nerves (That Collingwood game STILL gives me a bitter taste in my mouth)

His missing the lot late in the piece was enough for me to put a line through him with a sharpie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9 vs West Coast @ OPTUS - 12/05/23 - 8:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back