Strategy Rowey admits the club wasn’t honest at the presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to 5adelaideapologists this afternoon.

Will start off with Rowe going nuts about Betts injury, with Bicks in the background timidly agreeing with him, before they say how great it is that Fagan came out with the email and things will be looked at.

100 points to me if Rowe uses the following line

"Fagan's said they'll look at things, and they will, they hold themselves in the highest regard, with great people, and they'll look at things. Bickkkkkkks they've said they'll look at things and they will"!

Good question.

Surface ship culture is different to submarines. They are more laid back and from those I’ve met you’ll find fewer assholes.

Submarines are the ultimate boys club. Bullying, sexism, double standards are rife. Basically anything goes. The way you’re treated isn’t about them trying to weed out the weak or toughen you up etc.

There are a lot of people in this world who if you give them power over other people they’ll abuse that power to satisfy their own ego. Submariners are regarded as elite and that means you also have people who have massive egos and they love to go around letting everyone know how farkin good they think they are.

This leads to unchecked abuse which very rarely gets reported and or acted upon. People turn a blind eye to it because ‘that’s just the way it is’. The Navy in particular have tried to change this culture launching ‘New Generation Navy’ which says all the right things but ultimately has done little.

There are very few mentors and too many bullies with big egos running their own personal agendas to screw over people they don’t like and move up the ladder.

Sorry I ended up having a bit of a rant. In short no it’s not about the greater good it’s about personal agendas. I will say though that military personnel go through and put up with things that civvies just wouldn’t do. You read about incidents of workplace harassment in the civilian world and those ‘petty’ things are everyday occurrences in the military. It’s laughable.

I’ve got a good mate who was a submariner. He was working on building them, up until 6 mths ago when that industry closed down.
I see from his Facebook a lot of ragging goes on between him and mates. No doubt he could handle anything thrown at him.

Heard the radio

Stop it
Just stop the ringing and the e mailing the whining and the negativity

It’s funken embarrassing

I’ve got a good mate who was a submariner. He was working on building them, up until 6 mths ago when that industry closed down.
I see from his Facebook a lot of ragging goes on between him and mates. No doubt he could handle anything thrown at him.

Knowing how these things have affected me over the long term if I had my time again I’d knock out the first prick who decided to bully me but knocking out a superior rank would’ve ended my career and when you have only just started out and already been through a year or more of shit just to get where you are it’s something you try and avoid at all costs. Now I realise it’s not worth it to do nothing and put up with it because that’s what people in the Navy do. My mental health is more important than that.

I am sick of the way Rowie tries to polish up a turd.

When Burton was first announced there were plenty of callers expressing disappointment over the decision and talking about his poor record at Brisbane, rather than admit the club might have made a mistake he used this line numerous trying to justify the decision.

"Brett worked in a tin shed at Brisbane, A TIN SHED !!!!"

Somehow Burton going from the outhouse to the penthouse was supposedly going to turn him into an elite high performance manager :$

I am sick of the way Rowie tries to polish up a turd.

When Burton was first announced there were plenty of callers expressing disappointment over the decision and talking about his poor record at Brisbane, rather than admit the club might have made a mistake he used this line numerous trying to justify the decision.

"Brett worked in a tin shed at Brisbane, A TIN SHED !!!!"

Somehow Burton going from the outhouse to the penthouse was supposedly going to turn him into an elite high performance manager :$

You can take the boy out of the shed but you can’t take the shed out of the boy.

Looking forward to 5adelaideapologists this afternoon.

Will start off with Rowe going nuts about Betts injury, with Bicks in the background timidly agreeing with him, before they say how great it is that Fagan came out with the email and things will be looked at.

100 points to me if Rowe uses the following line

"Fagan's said they'll look at things, and they will, they hold themselves in the highest regard, with great people, and they'll look at things. Bickkkkkkks they've said they'll look at things and they will"!
And what was said?

But there were complaints to the AFLPA and they're satisfied that the club will review and improve going forward.
What Paul Marsh actually said last night was there were no complaints to the AFLPA and they first heard about it in the media.

He went on to say they were pleased the Crows had done a review and had acknowledged they made some mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Paul Marsh actually said last night was there were no complaints to the AFLPA and they first heard about it in the media.

He went on to say they were pleased the Crows had done a review and had acknowledged they made some mistakes.
Did someone in media comment that the AFL were doing or planning an investigation into the camp? Have you heard anymore about that, or was it speculation?

Some of Warren's best work, finally someone is prepared to link Brett Burton's name to this shit show !!!

He even mentions that Matt Hass is just following Brett's program.

Thank you Tredders, at least someone out there is prepared to call it like it is.

Some of Warren's best work, finally someone is prepared to link Brett Burton's name to this shit show !!!

He even mentions that Matt Hass is just following Brett's program.

Thank you Tredders, at least someone out there is prepared to call it like it is.
It was always Burton’s program.

He’s applied the blow torch to him nicely.

WARREN TREDREA

The Crows have gone from the envy of the AFL to also-rans in less than a season

ADELAIDE’S football department has gone from the envy of the AFL to a basket case in under nine months.

Winning can mask many things and right now the Crows’ poor leadership and decision making has been laid bare.

After what seemed destined to be their third AFL premiership in 27 years, they’ve quickly gone from the competition’s measuring stick in 2017 to battling to play finals in a horrible fall from grace.

Coach Don Pyke and inexperienced football manager Brett Burton are under the pump.

They’ve clearly underestimated their players fragile mental state following last year’s 48-point grand final walloping by Richmond.

It’s not as simple as blaming injuries as the reason for their demise, it goes much deeper than that. And while they’re a reality, they’re never an excuse. The Crows are still fielding a highly competitive team with experienced players each week.

I’ve lost count of how many hamstring injuries the Crows players have suffered in 2018, with the latest casualty being superstar Eddie Betts for the second time this year.

Adelaide’s fitness department is in disarray. Internally, some have turned the heat up on the club’s hamstring strengthening program while others are blaming mind training for short cuts in their fitness work.

The reality is we’ll never know the cause but what’s certain is inside football clubs people will always divert blame elsewhere to save their own skin.

And while much of the heat is on GM of high performance Matt Haas, I’ve been told by reliable sources he isn’t totally to blame as the club is still using Burton’s old fitness program.

The off-season exit of former player and fitness staffer Matthew Bode to Carlton smells, especially after he offered to take a significant pay cut to stay at West Lakes.

I’ve also been surprised by what I’ve seen and heard since the grand final.

In the post-game press conference coach Don Pyke’s said “One thing that’s very hard from a coaching view point is to provide effort, players are responsible for that.” While its true I didn’t like then and still don’t now. He was effectively separating himself from his players. In footy clubs you win together and lose together.

No less than a week later the club childishly banned Jake Lever from attending the club best and fairest after he revealed he was leaving for Melbourne. It was a toys out of the cot moment – it’s well known Adelaide low-balled Lever in contract negotiations in turn forcing him to go to market.

The acquisition of Bryce Gibbs seemed to calm the masses but it wasn’t going to be the end of the off-field issues at West Lakes.

I’m all for pushing the envelope to get better, but it’s the clubs two most senior football people coach Don Pyke and footy manager Brett Burton’s job to make the right call when formulating a plan of attack for the upcoming season, it appears they’ve made grave mistakes.

There’s been huge fallout from Adelaide’s desperate, old-fashioned get tougher approach to go one better in 2018. They have clearly underestimated their players’ mental struggles to deal with the grand final loss and as much as Adelaide has tried to manipulate the media narrative the reality is the truth always gets out.

On day one of pre-season it was reported that players had come back in poor shape following their break. It’s since been revealed they were set unrealistic fitness times in testing.

The clubs’ leaders had to tell the coaching group to chill out and not be so intense.

Enter the Collective Minds program and that fateful Gold Coast camp in late January.

It was reported in late March that players were “distressed” about what happened on the camp. Allegations of blindfolding players and repeated verbal and audio taunting of various types, something I have never heard of in my 22 years in the game.

The club went into damage control sending out skipper Taylor Walker to deny the story saying “the journalist has got things completely wrong” - all the while he was text messaging his team-mates telling them to effectively shut up shop, naive considering some players were upset and the messages not surprisingly found their way into the media.

Fast forward to last week and finally Adelaide softened its approach with Don Pyke revealing “there were some things that were a bit a miss” admitting “we’d do it differently” – too little too late.

They should have been upfront from the start and admitted their errors in judgement, but because they chose to the tactic of “deny, deny, deny” it gave the story more air and heaped more pressure on their players.

While Adelaide says they’re committed to mind training and the club is still paying Collective Minds, the players refuse to work with them.

Transparency with injuries has been poor, needn’t I mention the Brad Crouch osteitis pubis debacle, where the coach said he wasn’t suffering from OP only for Crouch to contradict his coach days later. It was also reported he would have surgery, this was denied only for Crouch to go under the knife shortly after.

Burton famously claimed: “I find it offensive for anyone to suggest we aren’t upfront and open with injuries.” He along with many others have egg on their face. All preventable, unwarranted distractions the players have had to deal with.

On field it’s not surprise the playing group looks mentally shot, lacks spark and appears unwilling to play desperate hard football that was a given from the Crows in 2016 and 2017.

This could be the reason why coach Don Pyke headed to the bench on the weekend to work more one on one and reconnect with his players as the message isn’t getting through.

It’s impossible to see Adelaide replicating its wonderful season of 2017. The players appear bereft of confidence and not willing to pay the price.

And for those who think they’ll get a swag of players back from injury after the bye and flick the switch, it doesn’t just happen.

Adelaide has failed to live up to the lofty expectations in 2018 and its all been its own doing.

Pyke and Burton must be willing to put their hands up and admit they got it seriously wrong, with the once premiership favourites caught in footy’s mire.

These mistakes must never be repeated.

My point remains
CM was not slammed until this year and after this camp

Hindsight claiming it lost us the GF firstly gives it more credit than it deserves
Bollocks

It was slammed during the Power rangers stance

It was slammed for the Gold Coast camp (guess who else is based in the Gold Coast)

It was slammed for how Walker and the club dealt with Lever

We may not have know at the time, but CM was behind all of that in one way or another

It was a good and accurate summary of the AC since last years GF. The Lever stuff was cringeworthy and our reporting of our season has been very poor. If you have a media and communications group within the club why did we not use it to our advantage. Its been pathetic.
Will not be happy until Burton and the fitness group are gone. Fagan and the board needs a good look at itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Rowey admits the club wasn’t honest at the presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Back