Toast Ryan Lester 200 Game Tribute Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how to link it but there’s a nice bit in a thing on Lions social media where Lester, Rayner and Berry are driving around in a golf buggy. It’s where Lester talks about giving a message to his 18 year old self - take things on a bit more, be less safe and be prepared to make mistakes to be greater. It’s good advice for us all.

Also, he mentioned Matt Maguire being a good mentor when he stated. I saw Matt with Lewy Taylor and Darcy Gardiner at a Vietnamese restaurant in West End their first year. He was obviously the senior player introducing taking the guys out for lunch. When we asked for autographs he sort of guided them on how to interact with fans. He was good fella Matt

Not sure how to link it but there’s a nice bit in a thing on Lions social media where Lester, Rayner and Berry are driving around in a golf buggy. It’s where Lester talks about giving a message to his 18 year old self - take things on a bit more, be less safe and be prepared to make mistakes to be greater. It’s good advice for us all.

Also, he mentioned Matt Maguire being a good mentor when he stated. I saw Matt with Lewy Taylor and Darcy Gardiner at a Vietnamese restaurant in West End their first year. He was obviously the senior player introducing taking the guys out for lunch. When we asked for autographs he sort of guided them on how to interact with fans. He was good fella Matt
Goose Maguire was another ripper; shame injuries cruelled his career the way they did. I remember when he was at St Kilda in his prime playing on Browny and he was a beast of a back man for a 2-3 year period. Very good at the Lions too.

Ryan Lester thru the years 2010-2018 ..................... (i ran out of time)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After listening to all the media bits two thoughts come to mind.

The first is that Ryan's coaches didn't turn his career around by telling him to attack more. I used to say in the match threads I would have a drink every time Ryan got a kick. I had no idea he had such a defensive mind set that was limiting him so much. He had to figure it out himself. This is an indictment of all his coaches as it shows they have failed in man management. I wonder who else is being mis-managed.

The second is I assume Ryan, amongst 200 game players, has played more seconds game?

After listening to all the media bits two thoughts come to mind.

The first is that Ryan's coaches didn't turn his career around by telling him to attack more. I used to say in the match threads I would have a drink every time Ryan got a kick. I had no idea he had such a defensive mind set that was limiting him so much. He had to figure it out himself. This is an indictment of all his coaches as it shows they have failed in man management. I wonder who else is being mis-managed.

The second is I assume Ryan, amongst 200 game players, has played more seconds game?

I was interested and VFL and NEAFL games were estimated to be around 50-60 in this article. Surely the accurate number is known.

Also this was interesting but a few years old (also info in the comments): Player who played 100 reserves games.

I hope the club can link a replay of Frog's post season interview that was clearly about to occur when Fox cut to Bounce immediately after Rayner was interviewed.

We got that interview in the telecast in Brissie.
I could take a recording off my tv and post it maybe?

I've made the mistake and just watched it on Fox, not thinking of the 7 broadcast or telecast whichever it is.
I usually watch on Kayo as well but I accidently found out out last late Sunday game that Channel 7 continue the broadcast, while Fox Footy quickly starts that juvenile show 'Bounce'. I am assuming that Fox continue with the interviews and short analysis in case they want to re-use it during the week.

Has 3KZ been a naughty boy?
I was naughty, but I have been rehabilitated. My redemption story mirrors Ryan Lester’s!
IMG_0622.jpeg
IMG_0623.jpeg IMG_0624.jpeg
Notice Cam Rayner’s ‘Froggy Love’ - it’s a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ryan Lester 200 Game Tribute Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back