Ryan O'Keefe - are we interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Do you want o'keefe??

we will accept anything like your 1st pick + thorp/dowler

RD%20Daria%20umm%20no.jpg

something a little less and you may have a deal, he is 28 FGS, do like him as a player but

Ryan O'Keefe is a seriously good player, and shouldn't be considered just another forward option. He is a hard runner who picks up possessions all over the field for the Swans, he's one of the best marks in the comp, very hard to beat one on one at ground level and a great user of the footy.

His age of 28 shouldn't be a massive concern. If ever there's a time that it's OK to top up with the odd older player or two, it's when you've just won the flag and are pushing for more success in the near future with a young list that's already proved capable of getting the job done. Especially if the older player you bring in is of undeniable quality like O'Keefe.

He would command a big salary at this point of his career though, so cap space would most likely be the sticking point if our recruiting team think he is worth looking at.

If he is interested in coming to the Hawks, and Pelchen and co can get the job done under the cap and come up with a deal to satisfy the Swans at the trade table, I say we should jump at the chance to add another high quality player to our list even if it's only for the next 2-3 years.

he is a gun, id def take him.. 2nd rd pick and a player. while were up should take it. he has 5-6 years in him for sure.. could taylor be bait as spider has left??

snip....

His age of 28 shouldn't be a massive concern. If ever there's a time that it's OK to top up with the odd older player or two, it's when you've just won the flag and are pushing for more success in the near future with a young list that's already proved capable of getting the job done. ....snip

i disagree.... now is not the time to be trading for players with 3 years of longevity left... with our current young list we have the next few years covered... but what about after that? ROK aint gunna be helping us then is he? GC17 will be plundering all the youth in the next few drafts so now is the the time to be trading players for picks and trying to top up on youngsters that are going to continue our tradition in 5 to 10 years time....

Great player ROK... but let someone else grab him whose interested and content in trying to steal one flag in the next 10years... and mediocrity for the other 9

Ryan O'Keefe

If the rumors are true and he does want to leave the Swans I think Hawthorn should make a play for the boy.

He runs hard and can kick well, the two main attributes of our players.

I would quite happily offer our first round pick for RoK but wondered what everyone else's view on him were.

Re: Ryan O'Keefe

If the rumors are true and he does want to leave the Swans I think Hawthorn should make a play for the boy.

He runs hard and can kick well, the two main attributes of our players.

I would quite happily offer our first round pick for RoK but wondered what everyone else's view on him were.

If we are going to offer our forst round pick, surely we would be better doing so for a key defender, top quality outside mid of ruckman?

Would be very lucky to get him
The dogs/Saints could offer a lower pick, and are probably more willing to give up better players for him.
Say example-First rounder(14/ray
Or Saints-Kosi/Second rounder, First rounder+something else

What could we offer? first rounder and boyle? and who would he push out? he would be a luxuary. and Would push back Dowler/Thorp, meaning we might eventually lose one of them

Great player at his pomp but not of great value to Hawthorn at this stage.

Osborne and Williams play a similar role to O'Keefe and while they aren't as good as him at it, together they're pretty hard to stop, as we saw on Saturday.

Rioli is being groomed to be a midfielder once he has developed his stamina and endurance capacity but that will not be really evident until 2010, I suggest, recalling what the club has previously said about easing young recruits into the gruelling aspects of pre-season training. Therefore, I would expect Cyril to spend 70% of his time in the forward line and the balance in the midfield for most of 2009.

Cameron Stokes is likely to be elevated to the senior list for 2009 and he presents another small forward option for the club.

No doubt he'll want a fair bit of coin to change clubs (according to some reports, he's happy to stay in Sydney but he's just testing the waters to see if he can get a better deal elsewhere) and, as we've seen with Thornton and Carlton, if Sydney can afford to pay that extra coin, then that's okay by Hawthorn.

I'm sure that the club will take a look as to whether recruiting O'Keefe would benefit Hawthorn's defence of its premiership in 2009 but I'm not so sure that they'll make it a priority to get him.

Re: Ryan O'Keefe

If we are going to offer our forst round pick, surely we would be better doing so for a key defender, top quality outside mid of ruckman?

O'Keefe is an All Australian HFF who will fill the void in our team Crawford's retirement will bring.

We need hard runners and with Bateman going down every second game a durable elite runner with excellent skills should not be passed on.

Of course if they want more than our first they can bugger off and we'll see if Whitecross can play or Morton has learned to kick.

Out of interest which key defender would we be able to get for Pick 16? 90% of clubs out there are after players for these positions and could easily outbid this pick if it was for a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a great player, but he is 28, with maybe 3-4 years left, and our forward line is already very strong.

Remember we have Mitch Thorp and Tim Boyle who can't break into our forward line, however ROK is a better player than both.

If we are going to be active in trading, IMO we need to trade for a quality defender, to take the pressure off Croad and Gilham, as Croad may be missing for a while, and we won't always be able to rely on Roughie to play as a defender, as he is a much better forward.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards yes. But only if Crawford retires!

The bloke is a great contested mark, and can play any position. I for one would not be displeased if we managed to get him. Just like I was excited when we got Stewie Dew.

EDIT - BACK TO BACK WITH ROK

why wouldnt we be interested, yes he would coem into the side for someone like a willo, granted he did play well during finals he could still be up for trade bait to get ourselves a key backmen

id take him at the right price, maybe 2nd rounder

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards yes. But only if Crawford retires!

The bloke is a great contested mark, and can play any position. I for one would not be displeased if we managed to get him. Just like I was excited when we got Stewie Dew.

EDIT - BACK TO BACK WITH ROK

I agree with the 'swap' for crawf - especially if Rioli is going into the midfield more. (although o-keefe is no crumber.)

ROK would really fit into our notion of making sure all our players are versatile. e.g. Buddy and Roughy on the HBF at times, Lewis, Bateman etc mid/forward rotations.

Forward line:

Willo Roughy ROK
Rioli Franklin Browny.

SHIT!

That looks pretty good. Add Ozzie into that mix...

But what would we give for him? Morts, Kennedy, Tuck, Taylor and Stokes have all been vital to our success this year. Dowler, Boyle and Thorp would gather interest but we've put a lot of work into these guys for the return of a 4 year player at best.

Hmmmm not sure.

I like the idea of addressing our more urgent needs.

If ROK wants to come to Hawthorn he will be playing for Hawthorn.

He is a STAR .

When an A grade player is available you go and get him.

He would walk into any side including ours and would be a top 10 player in any side.

Perfect age and will be at his peak over the next 2-3 years.

Brilliant Physically/athletically and has got a complete game.

We have at least 10 hacks on our list that can make way....i won't bother mentioning them.

Get real people.

ROK welcome on board.

Ridiculous. Why would we shelve one of our champion forwards for someone elses superstar? Whether they're as celebrated or not, every member of our forward line has earnt their spot as individuals and the combination is clearly the best in the competition.

We don't need him.

Not worth it to us to pay him.

Nothin's broken on us he can fix.

Keep walkin' Okie.

If ROK wants to come to Hawthorn he will be playing for Hawthorn.

He is a STAR .

When an A grade player is available you go and get him.

He would walk into any side including ours and would be a top 10 player in any side.

Perfect age and will be at his peak over the next 2-3 years.

Brilliant Physically/athletically and has got a complete game.

We have at least 10 hacks on our list that can make way....i won't bother mentioning them.

Get real people.

ROK welcome on board.
Has a great tank & i would welcome him at Hawthorn so yes for me!:thumbsu:

Ridiculous. Why would we shelve one of our champion forwards for someone elses superstar? Whether they're as celebrated or not, every member of our forward line has earnt their spot as individuals and the combination is clearly the best in the competition.

We don't need him.

Not worth it to us to pay him.

Nothin's broken on us he can fix.

Keep walkin' Okie.

Couldn't disagree more. No-one is talking about shelving anyone....

He is a top 10 player on anyones list.

There are about 40 blokes on our list and he would sit well and truly in our best 10.

It's that simple, you want as many A graders on your list as possible or would you rather Zac Dawson, Tim Clarke and Tim Boyle on our list as opposed to a Jet.

Nothing broken?...we have plenty of players on our list that will be delisted or will never make it - ROK isn't one of them.

One of a handfull of players in the entire country with a complete game...He is a dead set GUN and absolute nightmare match up.

Straight to Hawthorn do not go pass anywhere.....Straight in, thank you for coming.

I'd go as far as to say we would be an absolute Monty for the flag next year, if we arn't already, if we can add yet another genuine A grader like ROK.

Rest assured we will throw everything at Sydney to get him across, of that there is NO doubt whatsoever and by everything i mean any player on our list that is ranked 15th to 40th plus draft picks...eg any one of Tim Boyle, Ben McGlynn, Simon Taylor, Zac Dawson, Josh Kennedy, to name afew plus second rounder would secure it.

None of those players will ever be AA...ROK has been and is a chance every year.

I'm talking about in our best 22, obviously. No-one in our forward line or midfield deserves to get relegated for the sake of chasing a big name.

not worth it. 28yo coming to the end of his career. there is no room for him in our side and he would prove to be an expensive waste of time. for those that suggest we should pick him up, whose position in the forward line would he take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan O'Keefe - are we interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back