Official Match Thread S32.R15, Royals v. Bears [Season 32 Heritage Round] – Round 15, Gold City-Las Vegas at Golden Throne

Remove this Banner Ad

Also what’s everyone upto on this fine Sunday ?
I’m finally climbing Optus Stadium this evening :D
We’re at Collectors Corner, Garden World having coffee and cheesecake :D

Also what’s everyone upto on this fine Sunday ?
I’m finally climbing Optus Stadium this evening :D
I WAS planning a trip to Kansas City before I saw this..
Screenshot_20211107-142039_Twitter.jpg

Incorrect response. You have 19 more attempts.
I'll only need 1.

Throughout the history of music there have been precious few covers that have surpassed the original. There's something quintessential when the writer of the song also sings it; the raw humanity of someone truly inhabiting the lyrics like no other person can. Of course, there are some notable exceptions like Jimi Hendrix taking on Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" or Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" being reimagined by Johnny Cash, where the performance somehow transcends the divide between writer and performer.

Disturbed's cover of "The Sound Of Silence" is no such exception.

Put aside for now the fact that the version of the song we all know and love was actually somewhat of a cover itself*, The Disturbed version is the audio equivalent of this painting "restoration":

1636258539535.png

You can vaguely see what they were trying to do and there is some resemblance to the original, but it's a tragic example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

But let's delve a little bit deeper into what makes this cover such an abomination:
  • Does it replace an instrument with a piano to instantly emotionally manipulate a sense of seriousness? Check.
  • Is the song slightly slower with breathier vocals to match the cliched template of every trailer for an upcoming shitty TV show**? Check.
  • Does it have an unnecessary string section? Check.
  • Does the vocal melody change just enough to make stupid people think they've actually made the song "their" song? Check.
  • Is there symphonic percussion instead of standard drums to bring the pomposity up to nauseating levels? Check.
  • Does it build to an cathartic release that is completely at odds with the original? Check.
  • Do you hear the singer push his voice to the limit in a completely transparent attempt at making him seem sincere? Check.
The original song has been saved by the US Library Of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important", a fate that will only be mirrored by the Disturbed version if every physical copy of it ever produced were to be piled together, set on fire and launched out of Earth's orbit; a recording of the world's collective sigh of relief would probably meet that same bar of being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important".

I could fart a tune that had more emotional sincerity and less self-important grandeur than anything David Draiman produces in this crime against humanity. I would prefer to listen to Crazy Frog dragging his green, webbed fingernails down a chalkboard than ever torment myself to listen to that atrocious worship of banality ever again.

To be completely honest, I'm more disgusted than words can describe that hundreds of millions of people have willingly put themselves through the aural molestation that this song truly is. I feel sick. You make me sick. Humanity makes me sick. But I'd rather throw up all over the floor, lick it clean, then vomit again in a continuous Sisyphean eternity if it meant erasing this pathetic excuse for musical reappropration from existence.

* It was originally released as a very simple folk song and didn't make any real impact at all. Then, without either Simon or Garfunkel's knowledge or approval, the producer Tom Wilson remixed the song, adding electric guitar and drums to it for the record label to release, to massive worldwide success.
** Seriously, enough is enough.

I'll only need 1.

Throughout the history of music there have been precious few covers that have surpassed the original. There's something quintessential when the writer of the song also sings it; the raw humanity of someone truly inhabiting the lyrics like no other person can. Of course, there are some notable exceptions like Jimi Hendrix taking on Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" or Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" being reimagined by Johnny Cash, where the performance somehow transcends the divide between writer and performer.

Put aside for now the fact that the version of the song we all know and love was actually somewhat of a cover itself*, The Disturbed version is the audio equivalent of this painting "restoration":

View attachment 1275776

You can vaguely see what they were trying to do and there is some resemblance to the original, but it's a tragic example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

But let's delve a little bit deeper into what makes this cover such an abomination:
  • Does it replace an instrument with a piano to instantly emotionally manipulate a sense of seriousness? Check.
  • Is the song slightly slower with breathier vocals to match the cliched template of every trailer for an upcoming shitty TV show**? Check.
  • Does the vocal melody change just enough to make stupid people think they've actually made the song "their" song? Check.
  • Is there symphonic percussion instead of standard drums to bring the pomposity up to nauseating levels? Check.
  • Does it build to an cathartic release that is completely at odds with the original? Check.
  • Do you hear the singer push his voice to the limit in a completely transparent attempt at making him seem sincere? Check.
The original song has been saved by the US Library Of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important", a fate that will only be mirrored by the Disturbed version if every physical copy of it ever produced were to be piled together, set on fire and launched out of Earth's orbit; a recording of the world's collective sigh of relief would probably meet that same bar of being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important".

I could fart a tune that had more emotional sincerity and less self-important grandeur than anything David Draiman produces in this crime against humanity. I would prefer to listen to Crazy Frog dragging his green, webbed fingernails down a chalkboard than ever torment myself to listen to that atrocious worship of banality ever again.

To be completely honest, I'm more disgusted than words can describe that hundreds of millions of people have willingly put themselves through the aural molestation that this song truly is. I feel sick. You make me sick. Humanity makes me sick. But I'd rather throw up all over the floor, lick it clean, then vomit again in a continuous Sisyphean eternity if it meant erasing this pathetic excuse for musical reappropration from existence.

* It was originally released as a very simple folk song and didn't make any real impact at all. Then, without either Simon or Garfunkel's knowledge or approval, the producer Tom Wilson remixed the song, adding electric guitar and drums to it for the record label to release, to massive worldwide success.
You reckon that's bad? Run your check list over this. It's totally unrecognisable. 😁

I'll only need 1.

View attachment 1275776

I'm not reading that. I'm reading the Qooty Record, while getting a rub down from Sven, while listening to this.

I'm not reading that. I'm reading the Qooty Record, while getting a rub down from Sven, while listening to this.

Sven is a miracle worker, he knows all the right spots.

1636262172164.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phawks just won. That tightens the screws.

Gumbies doing to the Furies, what they did to us last week. Screw job incoming.

Don't worry Broken, it's the Royals that are on the downward spiral.

Side note, the wife got a NIN tat today.

Oooooh it's the cat/buttered toast analogy again, as I'm about to miss my 18th finals campaign in my past 15 seasons.

Side note addendum I've always been a fan of this Downward Spiral based tat
51cc9aa929a5a1b6cf55fab4ad4a34de--index-page-teeth.jpg

Match Start
Qooty Commentary File - QOOTY (Quick Footy) Version 10.5
Qooty Website - http://qooty.footypedia.com

Match commencing shortly ... GCR v LVB

Rich (BB code):
                       LVB
Ulahoopski                  BRAB                     PMBangers
kane249                     Western Stand Warrior    Jezmiester40

Smartys Power               Blacky                   MrPremiership
Broken                      Art Vandelay_            TheTick

krakouers85                 nahnah                   Fitzey
Matera92                    Tommycash                I Dont Care

ShaunDuggan                 CakeEater                brahj
tony                        MWPP                     CarterS

grumbleguts                 The Filth Wizard         MC Bad Genius
terrybull                   JoshWoodenSpoon          bl4ke
                            GCR

GCR Foll : GreyCrow, spookism, Marlowe
LVB Foll : Muddiemoose, Millky95, Electronic_Renaissance

GCR INT : Dancing Potato, Engimal v3
LVB INT : Campaigner for good, RookiePick

PLAYERS TO WATCH :
Gold City Royals: Smartys Power spookism Marlowe
Las Vegas Bears: Matera92 Electronic_Renaissance

Round 15, Conditions for this match - CLOUDY

Q1
1 : 0 {C} - Winning the bounce is Muddiemoose.
1 : .07 {rW} - The ball is now with I Dont Care.
1 : .12 {lHFF} - A bit of a miskick.
1 : .16 {lHFF} - Over the head of Broken.
1 : .18 {CHB} - Its hard and tough but Blacky wins possession.
1 : .22 {CHB} - Blacky sells the dummy and helps himself to a bounce.
1 : .26 {CHB} - Blacky is swamped. Not much prior opportunity but its holding the ball.
1 : .3 {CHF} - So Art Vandelay_ ... with a moment to digest his options.
1 : .32 {CHF} - Art Vandelay_ takes a bounce and nearly fumbles it.
1 : .37 {FF} - He has another one.
1 : .4 {FF} - Art Vandelay_ steadies himself and has a shot ....
1 : .45 {FF} - Art Vandelay_ is celebrating but it's been touched off the boot.
Gold City Royals : 0.0.0
Las Vegas Bears : 0.1.1

1 : .51 {FB} - Ulahoopski has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : .55 {FB} - A lookaway handpass to Marlowe.
1 : .59 {FB} - Marlowe ran into Muddiemoose and came off second-best.
1 : 1.01 {FF} - Western Stand Warrior weaves through the congestion.
1 : 1.06 {FF} - Western Stand Warrior has a bounce.
1 : 1.09 {FF} - Western Stand Warrior let's fly toward goal.
1 : 1.13 {FF} - They'll be talking about that goal tonight.
Gold City Royals : 0.0.0
Las Vegas Bears : 1.1.7

1 : 1.16 {C} - Big tap from Muddiemoose.
1 : 3.09 {C} - Taking the ball is Electronic_Renaissance.
1 : 3.09 {lHFF} - His kick covers more height than distance.
1 : 3.09 {lHFF} - Smartys Power is in the way and will mark.
1 : 3.09 {rHBF} - Smartys Power sizes the options in front of him.
1 : 3.11 {rHBF} - Crunching tackle by Broken.
1 : 3.11 {lHFF} - Who wants it? Broken does. Great stuff.
1 : 3.11 {lHFF} - Broken has time to take a bounce.
1 : 3.11 {CHF} - Spears a kick towards Art Vandelay_.
1 : 3.11 {CHF} - Art Vandelay_ gets too far under the ball.
1 : 3.13 {CHB} - Blacky takes them on.
1 : 3.13 {CHB} - Finds spookism with a handball.
1 : 3.13 {rW} - Kicks to a contest - krakouers85 looks to get to thre front.
1 : 3.15 {rW} - The ball spills free.
1 : 3.15 {rW} - krakouers85 does some crumbing and is away.
1 : 3.17 {rHFF} - An underground handpass to Marlowe.
1 : 3.17 {rHFF} - He has a bounce.
1 : 3.17 {rFP} - Finds grumbleguts with a handball.
1 : 3.19 {rFP} - grumbleguts slams the ball at goal.
1 : 3.19 {rFP} - grumbleguts gives some to the crowd after that goal.
Gold City Royals : 1.0.6

1 : 3.19 {C} - Both ruckmen fooled by a rare decent bounce up.
1 : 3.19 {C} - Who wants it? Muddiemoose does. Great stuff.
1 : 3.21 {CHB} - Quick hands to Electronic_Renaissance under pressure.
1 : 3.21 {CHB} - Electronic_Renaissance bounces the ball.
1 : 3.21 {CHB} - MWPP didn't see that tackle coming from CakeEater.
1 : 3.21 {lHFF} - The ball is now with brahj.
1 : 3.24 {rHFF} - Handpass over the shoulder to ShaunDuggan.
1 : 3.24 {CHF} - Huge handpass to CakeEater. As good as a kick.
1 : 3.25 {rFP} - He sends the ball to grumbleguts.
1 : 3.25 {rFP} - terrybull upset the marking attempt by grumbleguts.
1 : 3.25 {lBP} - terrybull does some crumbing and is away.
1 : 3.27 {rBP} - No-look handpass to bl4ke.
1 : 3.27 {lHBF} - He sees a lead by tony and kicks in that direction.
1 : 3.27 {lHBF} - tony can't take it.
1 : 3.27 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : 3.31 {lFP} - Long handpass to the running MC Bad Genius.
1 : 3.34 {lFP} - A gimme goal coming up if MC Bad Genius keeps his cool.
1 : 3.38 {lFP} - MC Bad Genius adds a behind to his team's tally.
Gold City Royals : 1.1.7

1 : 3.46 {FB} - bl4ke looks downfield.
1 : 3.48 {lHBF} - A measured kick to tony.
1 : 3.52 {lHBF} - What a shocking kick - straight to ShaunDuggan.
1 : 3.57 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan looking for a lead.
1 : 4 {rHFF} - Brought down by tony.
1 : 4.04 {lHBF} - tony has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : 4.07 {C} - Gets onto his preferred foot and boots it long.
1 : 4.1 {C} - nahnah claims the mark but its play on.
1 : 4.15 {C} - Tommycash with some space now.
1 : 4.19 {rW} - He kicks sideways towards I Dont Care.
1 : 4.21 {rW} - Over the head of I Dont Care.
1 : 4.25 {lW} - Fitzey slowing down the play.
1 : 4.29 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan presents on a long lead.
1 : 4.33 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan gets too far under the ball.
1 : 4.35 {lHBF} - tony fighting to get a clear kick.
1 : 4.4 {rHBF} - He elects to use CarterS and kicks in that direction.
1 : 4.44 {rHBF} - Great grab by CarterS.
1 : 4.48 {rHBF} - CarterS sizes the options in front of him.
1 : 4.5 {CHB} - Passes to MWPP by hand.
1 : 4.54 {CHB} - MWPP nearly got done for running too far but he remembers to bounce at last.
1 : 4.58 {lBP} - Fires out the handpass to terrybull.
1 : 5.02 {CHB} - A long pass towards MWPP.
1 : 5.04 {CHB} - MWPP gets too far under the ball.
1 : 5.09 {CHB} - With the ball is MWPP.
1 : 5.12 {rHBF} - Handpasses to CarterS.
1 : 5.17 {CHB} - That came off the outside of the boot.
1 : 5.19 {CHB} - The umpire calls play on.
1 : 5.23 {CHF} - CakeEater through heavy traffic.
1 : 5.27 {CHF} - That couldn't be a goal ... surely?.
1 : 5.31 {CHF} - Runs in - oh he should have steadied there.
Gold City Royals : 1.2.8

1 : 5.37 {FB} - JoshWoodenSpoon with the ball now.
1 : 5.41 {FB} - Fires out the handpass to Electronic_Renaissance.
1 : 5.46 {FB} - Where did GreyCrow come from? Great tackle.
1 : 5.49 {FF} - The Filth Wizard signals for his teammates to present.
1 : 5.52 {lFP} - Flicks it to MC Bad Genius.
1 : 5.56 {lFP} - MC Bad Genius ignores a lead to have a shot.
1 : 6 {lFP} - It's a goal. MC Bad Genius has 1.
Gold City Royals : 2.2.14

1 : 6.04 {C} - The ball is bounced to the clear advantage of Muddiemoose.
1 : 6.1 {lW} - Not enough pressure on Matera92.
1 : 6.15 {lW} - A slick handpass goes to Muddiemoose.
1 : 6.19 {lW} - Muddiemoose nearly got done for running too far but he remembers to bounce at last.
1 : 6.2 {CHF} - With his laser-like left foot.
1 : 6.25 {CHF} - Blacky upset the marking attempt by Art Vandelay_.
1 : 6.29 {CHF} - Who wants it? Art Vandelay_ does. Great stuff.
1 : 6.33 {CHF} - Art Vandelay_ nearly got done for running too far but he remembers to bounce at last.
1 : 6.35 {FF} - Art Vandelay_ has another.
1 : 6.39 {FF} - Art Vandelay_ wants a goal.
1 : 6.43 {FF} - What a goal.
Gold City Royals : 2.2.14
Las Vegas Bears : 2.1.13

1 : 6.47 {C} - GreyCrow taps it down.
1 : 6.54 {rW} - krakouers85 breaks a tackle and is off.
1 : 6.58 {C} - Handpass to space. nahnah runs onto it.
1 : 7.02 {C} - Tommycash made that tackle look worse than it was - free kick.
1 : 7.05 {C} - Tommycash has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : 7.08 {rW} - A slick handpass goes to I Dont Care.
1 : 7.12 {lHFF} - Sees Broken ahead and sends it his way.
1 : 7.16 {lHFF} - Smartys Power comes in from the side to intercept.
1 : 7.2 {rHBF} - With the ball is Smartys Power.
1 : 7.22 {CHB} - That came off the outside of the boot.
1 : 7.26 {CHB} - Great mark! No! The umpire calls play on.
1 : 7.31 {CHB} - Blacky has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : 7.35 {lW} - Kicks to a contest - Fitzey looks to get to thre front.
1 : 7.37 {lW} - Delicious kick to Fitzey.
1 : 7.41 {lW} - So Fitzey ... with a moment to digest his options.
1 : 7.45 {lW} - Quick hands to spookism under pressure.
1 : 7.49 {lW} - Gets hands off within the nick of time.
1 : 7.51 {lW} - GreyCrow nearly got done for running too far but he remembers to bounce at last.
1 : 7.55 {lW} - Heavy clash between I Dont Care and Fitzey. I Dont Care comes off marginally better and collects the ball.
1 : 8 {lW} - Matera92 dances around krakouers85.
1 : 8.04 {lW} - Matera92 nearly got done for running too far but he remembers to bounce at last.
1 : 8.07 {rW} - I Dont Care on the end of this.
1 : 8.1 {CHF} - His kick covers more height than distance.
1 : 8.14 {CHF} - All up but nobody can take the mark.
1 : 8.18 {rHBF} - Smartys Power turns on the afterburners - look at him go.
1 : 8.22 {lW} - He handpasses to Fitzey.
1 : 8.24 {lW} - He has a bounce.
1 : 8.28 {lHFF} - Fitzey touches the ball to the ground.
1 : 8.33 {lHFF} - Gets hands off within the nick of time.
1 : 8.37 {lHFF} - Gives the ball to Marlowe.
1 : 8.38 {lHFF} - Marlowe has a bounce.
1 : 8.43 {lFP} - Marlowe has another.
1 : 8.47 {lFP} - He has another one.
1 : 8.51 {lFP} - Marlowe screws it round his body.
1 : 8.53 {lFP} - This has ended up being far too easy a goal to Marlowe.
Gold City Royals : 3.2.20

1 : 8.57 {C} - Big tap from GreyCrow.
1 : 9.06 {rW} - krakouers85 breaks a tackle and is off.
1 : 9.07 {C} - Flicks it to nahnah.
1 : 9.11 {rHFF} - Boots the ball toward ShaunDuggan.
1 : 9.16 {rHFF} - One grab... Two... Three... Mark to ShaunDuggan.
1 : 9.2 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan has it.
1 : 9.23 {FF} - That's a real finger-breaker in the direction of The Filth Wizard.
1 : 9.26 {FF} - The Filth Wizard slips at the crucial moment and its marked by JoshWoodenSpoon.
1 : 9.3 {lBP} - terrybull signals for his teammates to present.
1 : 9.34 {rBP} - Almost a throw to bl4ke.
1 : 9.38 {lHBF} - Hurried kick towards tony.
1 : 9.4 {lHBF} - Great mark! No! The umpire calls play on.
1 : 9.45 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan looks downfield.
1 : 9.49 {rFP} - Huge handpass to Marlowe. As good as a kick.
1 : 9.53 {rFP} - Marlowe about twenty-five out.
1 : 9.55 {rFP} - Marlowe says 'Goals are fun and I'm having one'.
Gold City Royals : 4.2.26

I was thinking of getting a Joy Division tattoo.

Q1 (2)
1 : 9.59 {C} - Muddiemoose wins the hitout unopposed.
1 : 10.07 {rW} - I Dont Care looks downfield.
1 : 10.09 {rW} - I Dont Care disposed of the ball illegally - and he'll lose it.
1 : 10.13 {rW} - krakouers85 has it. What can he do with it?.
1 : 10.18 {rW} - Gets hands off within the nick of time.
1 : 10.22 {rW} - Millky95 applies the tackle on spookism.
1 : 10.25 {lW} - Matera92 wants to get on with proceedings.
1 : 10.28 {lW} - He involves Electronic_Renaissance in the play.
1 : 10.32 {rW} - Sees I Dont Care out of the corner of his eye.
1 : 10.36 {rW} - Fitzey will take this. No - he's dropped it.
1 : 10.4 {C} - nahnah looking for a lead.
1 : 10.42 {rW} - Handballs to krakouers85.
1 : 10.46 {lHFF} - A measured kick in the direction of brahj.
1 : 10.51 {lHFF} - The ball spills free.
1 : 10.55 {rHBF} - CarterS looking for a lead.
1 : 10.56 {rHBF} - CarterS sells the dummy and helps himself to a bounce.
1 : 11.01 {rHBF} - A pretty obvious push in the back by CarterS.
1 : 11.05 {CHF} - Now CakeEater has the ball. What can he do with it?.
1 : 11.09 {rFP} - He kicks towards grumbleguts and terrybull.
1 : 11.11 {rFP} - Spoilt by terrybull.
1 : 11.15 {lBP} - terrybull looks downfield.
1 : 11.19 {CHB} - He sees a lead by MWPP and kicks in that direction.
1 : 11.23 {CHB} - MWPP marks strongly on the lead.
1 : 11.25 {CHB} - MWPP slowing down the play.
1 : 11.3 {CHB} - Draws a man and then with hands to Millky95.
1 : 11.34 {lHBF} - He kicks sideways towards tony.
1 : 11.38 {lHBF} - ShaunDuggan takes one of the best marks you'll ever see.
1 : 11.4 {rHFF} - ShaunDuggan slowing down the play.
1 : 11.44 {rHFF} - Draws a man and then with hands to spookism.
1 : 11.48 {lHFF} - Spears a kick towards brahj.
1 : 11.52 {lHFF} - Ooh the kick has gone straight to CarterS.
1 : 11.56 {rHBF} - CarterS to send the ball forward.
1 : 11.58 {rHBF} - Gets hands off within the nick of time.
1 : 12.03 {lHBF} - That came off the outside of the boot.
1 : 12.07 {lHBF} - tony takes a strong mark. His form is ominous.
1 : 12.11 {lHBF} - So tony ... with a moment to digest his options.
1 : 12.13 {lHBF} - tony has time to take a bounce.
1 : 12.17 {CHB} - MWPP screaming for the ball - and he is heard.
1 : 12.21 {CHB} - CakeEater drops an absolute sitter.
1 : 12.25 {CHF} - CakeEater takes off.
1 : 12.27 {CHF} - Watch out! Oh! MWPP has laid CakeEater out flat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread S32.R15, Royals v. Bears [Season 32 Heritage Round] – Round 15, Gold City-Las Vegas at Golden Throne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back