Saints Are Finished in 2011 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
In the dying minutes of the game against the Crows in which they will lose, it is hard to believe that the Saints were Grand Finalists last year.

Apart from the third quarter, they have been seriously woeful in all facets of the game.

What is the most disturbing fact is that Gilbert, Dawson, Baker & to a lesser extent Schneider, are just sub-standard kicks of the football.

Dawson & Gilbert also make terrible decisions under pressure and invariably either get outmarked or give away a soft & undisciplined free kick.

Every time Baker took a mark, he kicked backwards, he does not have the wherewithall to want to kick forward at all so all of the opposition teams will know that and play to it.

Their ruck dept. is sadly inferior to the other clubs and their reliance on the big guns (Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, Reiwoldt & Milne) to get them over the line is now costing them games. Those players listed are very good in their own right but tonight they were pretty poor overall and when they are missing, there is no-one else to pick up the slack.

It's really sad to see this team perform at the level they are right now and although they will pinch a handful of wins over the remaining 18 rounds, it will not be enough for them to play finals.

They need to swing the axe and make some swift but calculated changes to their playing list if they want to make a quick recovery because the current group has had their time in the premiership hunt. They need to clear out some of the deadwood on their list and replace them with some young enthusiastic players from the draft.

I know Saints supporters will want to attack me for speaking my mind here but if they are honest with themselves, they'll agree with me on most of these points.

Re: Saints Are Finished in 2010 & Beyond

I won't attack you, because you're correct.

It's really sad though. We were so close, but now the next chance at a flag looks to be another 10-15 years away.

When Riewoldt and Goddard are long retired...i think those guys see the futility in it which is why they're both playing with absolutely zero desire this year.

Riewoldt has been particularly bad in 2011.

Well, the circle turns. We've been up since 2004 had 2 bloody good cracks and couldn't do it.

I actually thought our 2010 was pretty good what with making the GF and all.

We may have a few problems in 2011 though.....

I won't attack you, because you're correct.

It's really sad though. We were so close, but now the next chance at a flag looks to be another 10-15 years away.

When Riewoldt and Goddard are long retired...i think those guys see the futility in it which is why they're both playing with absolutely zero desire this year.

Riewoldt has been particularly bad in 2011.

Well, the circle turns. We've been up since 2004 had 2 bloody good cracks and couldn't do it.

With some Smart recruiting you can have another crack in 2012, your season was gone from all the off field BS and Hayes injury.

We've been up since 2004 had 2 bloody good cracks and couldn't do it.

I think that is a very important fact, it is hard to keep up the top year after year especially when you haven't won a premiership.

Seven years of being red-hot contenders has to hit a wall sooner or later and it appears to be this year.

We knoe there is the talent to be competitive but when you take into the account the lack of contributions from second level of players coupled with the will to succeed/finals burnout it just makes it all too hard.

I laugh at the people who say 10 years, that's a joke.

A rebuild takes 6 years at most until you're up and challenging.

2000-2004 St Kilda
2005-2008/9/10 Collingwood
2004-2007/8 Hawthorn
1999-2004 Geelong
2001-2005 West Coast

Big clean out on the cards over the off-season. Going to be a long way back from here for the Saints, they look absolutely beaten and broken at the moment.

I personally think it'd be in their best interests to look long and hard at dishing off a Dal Santo/Montagna type and getting the best possible return with an eye to their future. Both guys would be in high demand, and realistically they aren't much chance of playing in a premiership at St.Kilda, so why not offload them why they still have considerable value?

2000-2004 St Kilda
2004-2007/8 Hawthorn
1999-2004 Geelong
2001-2005 West Coast
1997 grand final

2009 grand final

Count the years.

Ok obviously, we could have made a grand final earlier than 2009, but a rebuild to get to a grand final is a massive ask. It's a probably a 10 year job.

How much longer has Riewoldt, Hayes, Montagna, Goddard & Dal Santo got in the game ??

I know they are in their prime years now so depending on how many more can be squeezed out of them will allow the Saints to make some strategic changes to their list and still be able to launch one last premiership assault.

Kosi has to be moved on, he is a liability to the Saints but they might be able to get something reasonable in return for him from one of the lower ranked clubs needing a big body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Ross Lyon can prove that he can coach to a the new game styles he should be gone. His general demanour is bad for the club. Club is need of some serious image makeover even before it can work on its footy department

A bit like Collingwood's collapse after 02/03, a key injury here, some poor form there and suddenly you are out of finals contention.

Hard call on whether they should start over, they have a few great players but it all means nothing unless they can add 2 or 3 very good plays in the next 2 years.

Riewoldt has looked disiniterested all year and his poor performances every week are evidence of his.

It all came down to this.

wtfzj.jpg

2000-2004 St Kilda
2004-2007/8 Hawthorn
1999-2004 Geelong
2001-2005 West Coast

6 Years....10 Years.....what's the difference?
The Saints missed a golden opportunity in 2009/10.
I genuinely feel for genuine Saints supporters.
10 years may see a lot of the older supporters out.:(

Has Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Freo (away) and Collingwood in next 5 weeks.

So most likely at R11 they will 2-1-7 and will be unlikely to make 8 yet alone the top 4.

To win matches a team must be able to kick more than 9 goals against quality opposition.

St. KIlda starting to look like the Collingwood team in 2004 after they lost 2 GF in 02/03.

Probanly will need a strong recruitment of youth over the next 2 drafts and start to promote playing youth in 2011 when season looks all but gone.

Now that it has been amended, I completely agree with the OP.

Our future is not looking good and we need to pull something remarkable out of the hat otherwise its back down the bottom for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back