Autopsy Saints WIN WIN WIN v Richmond r22

Remove this Banner Ad

He's barely played 20 games as a full time mid so hard to call that a record.

Roving half back/midfielder....who cares. The point remains. You'd struggle to find a 100 gamer who is not a KP that has not a single Brownlow vote. I doubt there is an opposition supporter that rates him above C-.

In fact I just checked for you. Of current players who have played 100 games plus, 26 in the AFL do not have a Brownlow vote. Hunter needs a vote in one of his next 4 games so as not to join the illustrious club.

He's had 28 disposals at 86%, Sincs our only player with more (29 touches), second highest AF score, 9 marks etc. Our best mids only got 23 disposals each.

That match shows we need to keep Battle and find a premium mid at the draft. You can only play about 7 or 8 players under 22 before you start to push into North territory. Battle will be the new Joel Smith holding up a cup while we watch reruns of the 1966 GF.
No - have to let him go if he gets us Band 1 priority.

Its replaceable position and we have a much greater need for quality midfielder.

This bloke is nowhere near as good as Battle but he's much closer to a premiership cup than Battle - and the reason why - his teams got a better midfield.

Its replaceable position and we have a much greater need for quality midfielder.

This bloke is nowhere near as good as Battle but he's much closer to a premiership cup than Battle - and the reason why - his teams got a better midfield.

Totally agree. On the basis that we get Band 1 compo (which I think is likely 6?) we have to be happy. Everyone saying this draft is strong, everyone saying Saints mids are weakness - the opportunity to get a couple of high pick young mids is the right long term play.

My only hesitancy is St Kilda's unique ability to pick all around champions. Got to say that our last two top 10 picks have been pretty good though.

So the $64 million question….

Do we still want to beat the Blues if it means moving one spot back in the draft?

I’m torn, but I’m leaning towards HELL YES!
I'm with you all the way there Diehard.

Hope we smash em into next year !!!!!!

I guess the good thing with Battle is he's playing the best footy of his career just as he's leaving, so should get us a good return. Unlike Gresham.

So the $64 million question….

Do we still want to beat the Blues if it means moving one spot back in the draft?

I’m torn, but I’m leaning towards HELL YES!
I absolutely hate em......it's almost at a psychotic level.

LOVE IT !!!!!

I guess the good thing with Battle is he's playing the best footy of his career just as he's leaving, so should get us a good return. Unlike Gresham.

His form doesn't affect the return of a free agent.
It MIGHT affect what the Hawks will offer, which in turn can affect the compensation.

Never a perfect week for mine if the Cats win. They are top of my list for wanting teams to lose every week. Essendon second .
Oh well, we can fix that up next week. Probably cost them the double chance if we win. That will be a season highlight for me if it eventuates. Fk the draft position. Cats aren't superstars.
Yes that Hawkins non goal in 09 can never be forgiven.

He's had 28 disposals at 86%, Sincs our only player with more (29 touches), second highest AF score, 9 marks etc. Our best mids only got 23 disposals each.

That match shows we need to keep Battle and find a premium mid at the draft. You can only play about 7 or 8 players under 22 before you start to push into North territory. Battle will be the new Joel Smith holding up a cup while we watch reruns of the 1966 GF.
agree -you would be happy to draft a player that ends up with Battles ability so keep him

Last edited:
Wilkie was massive as was Marshall. Caminiti is a very promising player as is Cooper, Battle played well, Hunter is quite underrated IMO and I can't wait to see what he does with a full pre-season no inuries. A few dirty Tigers but our guys didn't take the bait. Season's end can't come soon enough imo. Give these blokes a rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super boring game, still couldn't score 100. A Ross Lyon special.

I thought our strength was supposed to be out running game? Have not seen it all year. The lack of overlap run is alarming.

Anyway, season almost done. Should comfortably lose the next 2. Deserve pick 4, Crows are a far superior outfit to us.
It’s posts like this that are killing the forum. No matter what happens it’s Ross’ fault, even when we win! It’s just so tiresome and draining. There is no joy, only negativity and a desperation to dominate that negative narrative at the expense of everything else. Where is the fun in that?

So people don’t bother anymore.

Enjoy.

Over and out.

Wilkie was massive as was Marshall. Caminiti is a very promising player as is Cooper, Battle played well, Hunter is quite underrated IMO and I can't wait to see what he does with a full pre-season no inuries. A few dirty Tigers but our guys didn't take the bait. Season's end can't come soon enough imo. Give these blokes a rest.

The luck of the Saints.
If we hadn't drafted King, we wouldn't have been able to find a tall forward for love nor money. But we took King and Hammer and Sharman just fell into our laps.

It’s posts like this that are killing the forum. No matter what happens it’s Ross’ fault, even when we win! It’s just so tiresome and draining. There is no joy, only negativity and a desperation to dominate that negative narrative at the expense of everything else. Where is the fun in that?

So people don’t bother anymore.

Enjoy.

Over and out.
Agree 100%-West coast cant get any senior coaches interested in their gig -honestly who would come and coach us?we are very fortunate to have the coaching team we have got-we know that our standards are now 1st rate -our weakness is and has been for years midfield -when ever we have been blown off the park it has been our midfield -we are now fixing that -we only have to win 4/5 more and we are right in it

If they make the GF, they would be hoping that Joyce isn't playing.
He's their backup. Do you think Cordy will easily fill Battle's shoes?

Anyone suggesting Battle didn't play well yesterday obviously didn't watch the game.

Hawthorn will be a bloody force with him in their team. He is a great player and for once band 1 is not overstating the price of a FA.

Wont be disappointed if he stays. If he does we need to trade King though. We need lots of FRDP's.

Yes that Hawkins non goal in 09 can never be forgiven.

Chappys 3 goals on a "this procedure will be banned in a week, wink wink" was far more damaging than blind goal umpires. Right up there with Shane "Whodis?" Ellis tearing apart '97 as just straight universal BS, flip table, corrupt nonsense for a flag and FU AFL.

Still a testament that we win our second, the AFL will yeet itself into touch footy so fast in shock that everyone else can get blotto and we can just roll with it as a hurrah to all things.

I do rate Clark, I feel that he has the ability to find time and space on the field and while injures are not ideal he is a best 22 player.

Marshall needs to be in the AA team, best ruck this year.

Byrnes has also replaced Seb Ross as the hard working outside mid and i feel his kicking has improved this year.

No kid is going to make an instant impact. Joyce isn’t close to Battle in quality even if stats look like it. We will get another 4 players in this draft at a minimum. We are getting very young. And we can’t play them all. Phillipou and Garcia plus a first round drafted kid, a second rounder and Windhager needing minutes on top of Steele and Dow and whoever else we have. We are unlikely to have as many injuries to the one area and next year it could be tall backs.

The season was done at round 3. You could see that we were not going to be competitive. We played an absolutely diabolical brand of footy and had no energy or momentum and heaps of injuries.

It's definitely the most disappointing season in years. Somehow we feel very flat and boring even when winning. I don't know if the "next year" thing has just finally worn thin and the hope that a new coach brings has worn off, but it's a strange feeling at the moment.

The thought of losing favourite players to bring in a spud squad of shit players, drug fiends, losers and broken down spuds doesn't help. It feels like we are pushing the timeline out by another 5 years at the moment and that's if they don't stuff it up.
In my view 2021 was way worse. Came off 2020 full of hope and expectation and then we shat the bed big time. Game plan was horrible. Averaged the same points per game as we have in 2023 except without any of the defensive structures. Didn't have many kids of quality to play. The most emotionally checked-out season that I've experienced.

At least this year we have played the kids the whole way through - Wilson, McLennan, Pou, Windy, Hugo, Hastie, Owens, Nas, Caminiti, Sharman etc. Most of them look like players. We have also been a chance of winning every game except two (Dogs and Lions).

Our brand of footy since the middle of the year has been good, scoring more consistently which gives us something to build upon.

I agree with your last comment though. We need to stick the course with the draft and keep on bringing the kids through. Trading for guys in the Henry age bracket is fine but some of the names mentioned are depressing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints WIN WIN WIN v Richmond r22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back