Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I'm really glad that we are not deeming this season as a success, but a stepping stone. Many were commenting that the turn around in the season was a pass even if we didn't make finals, and then we did and said "no matter what happens they've exceeded expectations", then we won one and had a really high pressure Semi final where we showed a lot of fight.

This season was great, but a bit of improvement and Sam said his goal was to be in more winnable positions late in games. We had 4 losses by under a goal and another that was lost purely on accuracy (Essendon) that we really should have won.

Then there were still some games we were well beaten, Melbourne, Geelong x 2, Sydney, Gold Coast.

So of the 10 losses 5 were winnable positions 5 we were too far off it.

Our Finals appearances have shown us, who can stand up in finals and deliver, shown us a few players who struggled with intensity, some struggled with the anxiety of it, some had bad moments that they wouldn't normally, and most importantly we pressure tested the game plan and squad for finals.

We found the Watson is made for finals and a star. Dear can be dominant with a favorable match-up but needs to build tank and strength to compete with some bigger guys.

We found that Ward, Morrison and Maginness are capable at the level.

We need more star power in the midfield, with Day out Newcombe had to carry the load, i was hoping Mackenzie would lift but was also out. So either we draft or trade for another star, or it's going to come from Ward, Mackenzie or Weddle.

We lack quality and depth in the key position posts. This is already fixed. 2 very good key defenders coming that both use it well. Blank, Frost, Phillips, and Serong will probably get culled down to 2 players.

We need more than just a returning Lewis for our Key forward stocks. Dear needs help, Chol is a flyer not a wrestler so is often held out. (we need be smarter kicking to him too let him use his speed, reach and leap, don't expect him to fight to the front like Lewis would.)

Personally I'd like us to return Amon to the other wing opposite Mass when Battle joins us. We still have Impey and Hardwick to man the smaller oppo forwards and it would save us having to train another player to perform the wing role. Amon is a quality winger and would be a ready- made option.

I'd also like to see us try Weddle as a third tall on a half forward flank, similar to DeGoey or Stringer; Weddle is good overhead which we really need down there, a penetrating kick, and obviously a very powerful endurance athlete. He would be another player we have who would intimidate oppo backmen trying to run the ball out of our forward line. And he would at least bring the ball to ground if he couldn't mark given his KPD experience, which would suit our small forwards. I think he'd be a hard match up for opposition sides and using him there would allow us to leave Sis in defence, where he is one of the best in the business. Least disruption for the side and would give us a great variety of forwards for the other mobs to cover.

Personally I'd like us to return Amon to the other wing opposite Mass when Battle joins us. We still have Impey and Hardwick to man the smaller oppo forwards and it would save us having to train another player to perform the wing role. Amon is a quality winger and would be a ready- made option.

I'd also like to see us try Weddle as a third tall on a half forward flank, similar to DeGoey or Stringer; Weddle is good overhead which we really need down there, a penetrating kick, and obviously a very powerful endurance athlete. He would be another player we have who would intimidate oppo backmen trying to run the ball out of our forward line. And he would at least bring the ball to ground if he couldn't mark given his KPD experience, which would suit our small forwards. I think he'd be a hard match up for opposition sides and using him there would allow us to leave Sis in defence, where he is one of the best in the business. Least disruption for the side and would give us a great variety of forwards for the other mobs to cover.
Yeah we need weddle to play up forward next year even if it is just to develop his forward craft more so he can swing forward in clutch time. We will need to be patient.

What to do with Weds? The fact that the bloke can literally play anywhere is both a monumental advantage and a little bit of a problem.

I think he's a smidgeon wasted down back, and with Battle and hopefully Barass on their way, he can move up the ground. I would personally like to see him tried on a wing and/or on ball. I reckon he could be devastating in those roles.

Imagine a fit and firing midfield of Day, Nuke, Worps, Nash and Weds, backed up by Mackenzie, Ward etc. Class, grunt and running power in absolute abundance. Welcome to flagtime....

What to do with Weds? The fact that the bloke can literally play anywhere is both a monumental advantage and a little bit of a problem.

I think he's a smidgeon wasted down back, and with Battle and hopefully Barass on their way, he can move up the ground. I would personally like to see him tried on a wing and/or on ball. I reckon he could be devastating in those roles.

Imagine a fit and firing midfield of Day, Nuke, Worps, Nash and Weds, backed up by Mackenzie, Ward etc. Class, grunt and running power in absolute abundance. Welcome to flagtime....
I agree about wanting to see Weddle freed up from lockdown defensive roles in particular. When I see him tasked with those jobs it's like watching a unicorn ploughing a field.

Extremely lengthy post incoming...

Wow the future is bright and the Hawks are officially playing finals and contending for flags again. Boy oh boy is it good to be back.

Here is a half review and half predictions/areas for improvement of most players:

Backs

Barrass - One of the premier full backs in the comp, I think a fair few comparisons with current players vs players from the 3peat era are somewhat lazy but Barrass really has a lot of Brian Lake about him in both play style, talent level, and timing of arrival to the club.

Battle - Already a good player, should fit in seamlessly given his pace and fitness. Great in the air, did a fantastic job on Jeremy Cameron a few weeks back, and has played stints on the wing in the past, highlighting his tank and mobility.

Sicily - Was very hampered in the back end of the season, yet somehow still found a way to contribute. At full strength with the ability to now get more favourable matchups to do his thing, we're looking at him getting back to being the best defender in the league.

Impey - Back to his best and thriving in this game style.

Amon - I strongly believe he will stay back, will keep learning defensive craft and his ability to hit long range targets completely opens up the field.

Hardwick - Can play a lockdown role extremely well but also regularly executes long range switch kicks, plays with a hard edge that helps everyone stand taller. Blake Hardwick is the player that the AFL media pretends Brayden Maynard is. His recognition will finally come now we're in primetime.

Scrimshaw - A fantastic player, another one who is going to get his flowers in a big way when we get primetime slots next year. Beautiful kick of the footy, calm decision maker, and has a knack for taking a mark at the perfect time to take the pressure off the backs.

Frost - Can now move into a hybrid role of playing on either talls or smalls as a lockdown guy. He is 31 and speed is a big factor in his game, but I would expect we have 2 more great quality seasons to come from him.

Depth players - Ryan, Blanck, Mitchell, McCabe, Serong, BMac, DGB

Mids

Weddle - The fact is at full health we already have 8 genuine best 22 defenders, and that's excluding Weddle. I think he is the most likely candidate to get moved.
I would love to see him as a 2008 Matthew Richardson type winger, that really gets forward and kicks goals. He already has the goal sense, long range kicking ability, aerial prowess, and tank, would just need to learn the role. A roaming CHF a la Jeremy Cameron is also an exciting prospect.

D'Ambrosio - Wow. Just turned 21 and only played 39 games. Everything you want in a winger already, and young enough to still have plenty in him. Should take plenty of confidence into next season to close the gap between him and Gulden as the best in the game.

Day - Would just like to see a full season from him. Could see him usurp Sicily as the outright best player in the team.

Newcombe - Late season form was more of what he actually is as a player, still only 75 games into his career, and from now on poised to become a perennial top 10 Brownlow finisher. I hope we get to see a bit more of him resting forward or going forward to break tags.

Worpel - Grunt work mid, really worked on his inside 50 kicking to great effect. Had a big start to the season and then faded, he would hope to iron out some week-to-week consistency issues going into next year. If he can manage that then he will go to another level, although this may just be who he is now given he is 26 at the start of the season. (This one reads harshly but I appreciate you Worps).

Nash - Vital cog that tends to go unnoticed. Similar to Rowbottom from Sydney, does the shit stuff that lets the others shine, always defensively accountable and lays great tackles, blocks, shepherds etc. Can improve his kicking, as well as contested marking and overhead ability given his frame.

Mackenzie - Was mostly a mainstay in a midfield that was pretty durable, especially after Day's return. Consistently shows flashes of class and x factor. Accumulation should be a focus for him over preseason, as when he has the ball good things happen. Fitness levels will play a factor here too, and his body has started to really take shape. Next year could be a breakout one for him.

Meek - Only just played 50 games and has been a revelation since having some confidence in his spot in the team. Dare I say weirdly creative with some handballs, tap work is super solid, developing a lovely little connection with Newcombe in particular, and can bite off short to mid range kicks that he keeps low. Adding the ability to take marks around the ground as a bail out option down the line would be huge for him.

Depth players - Finn, Ward, HMo, Reeves, Hustwaite, CJ

Forwards

Dear - Just time in AFL strength and conditioning environment will do wonders. 40-45 goals next year puts him in the Langford/Georgiades/Treacy/JUH/Stringer/Fogarty range which I think is reasonable. Has taken quite a few marks pushing up the ground as an outlet which I'd like to see more of and will be important for coexisting with Lewis and Chol, as well as our team not having a true long down the line marking option at present.

Moore - If this is his level going forward then brilliant. Spiritual leader of the team.

Macdonald - Plays a role that is a death sentence for many and has made it his own. Infectious energy and nature that is in many ways the true essence of our team this year. Sneakily kicked 28 goals this year. In the back end of the season I noticed him taking a couple contested marks which was cool to see. Still super young, I could see him adding some Gryan Miers to his game in terms of kicking i50 and setting up teammates in addition to his current offerings. Perhaps a few CBAs in his future.

Lewis - Gets put up for trade every second post on here but when healthy is a genuine star KPF. Perhaps the answer here is we can keep his mileage down by having him as true FF working out of the goal square rather than getting up the ground (let Dear do more of this). I see him as a really important piece of the puzzle. Has great leadership qualities which will be important as Gunston likely retires next year.

Chol - Poor finals series will leave a bad taste in some people's mouths but was the main man in a forward line with old man Gunston and first year Dear. If you replace him with Jacob Koschitzke this team does not make finals. Fitness levels would be a realistic area of improvement.

Watson - He will be the best small forward in the league either next year or the year after.

Ginnivan - Showed he can get up the ground and act as a link up player as well as a goal scorer. Accuracy wasn't there this year but should return back to normal. Would love to see him come back quicker and more explosive, which is easier said than done but would take his game to another level.

Depth players - Scaife, Gunston, Breust, Ramsden, Butler, Bennets

An attempt at a fully healthy best 23:

B: Frost - Barrass - Hardwick
HB: Battle - Sicily - Amon
C: D'Ambrosio - Day - Weddle
HF: Macdonald - Dear - Moore
F: Watson - Lewis - Chol
R: Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Int: Scrimshaw, Impey, Ginnivan, Nash, Mackenzie

Love them but can't fit them in: Finn, Gunston, Breust, HMo, CJ, Ward

Would love to hear people's suggestions for areas of improvement for players, or changes you'd make to a potential 23 and why.

Wow the future is bright and the Hawks are officially playing finals and contending for flags again. Boy oh boy is it good to be back.

Here is a half review and half predictions/areas for improvement of most players:

Backs

Barrass - One of the premier full backs in the comp, I think a fair few comparisons with current players vs players from the 3peat era are somewhat lazy but Barrass really has a lot of Brian Lake about him in both play style, talent level, and timing of arrival to the club.

Battle - Already a good player, should fit in seamlessly given his pace and fitness. Great in the air, did a fantastic job on Jeremy Cameron a few weeks back, and has played stints on the wing in the past, highlighting his tank and mobility.

Sicily - Was very hampered in the back end of the season, yet somehow still found a way to contribute. At full strength with the ability to now get more favourable matchups to do his thing, we're looking at him getting back to being the best defender in the league.

Amon - I strongly believe he will stay back, will keep learning defensive craft and his ability to hit long range targets completely opens up the field.

Hardwick - Can play a lockdown role extremely well but also regularly executes long range switch kicks, plays with a hard edge that helps everyone stand taller. Blake Hardwick is the player that the AFL media pretends Brayden Maynard is. His recognition will finally come now we're in primetime.

Scrimshaw - A fantastic player, another one who is going to get his flowers in a big way when we get primetime slots next year. Beautiful kick of the footy, calm decision maker, and has a knack for taking a mark at the perfect time to take the pressure off the backs.

Frost - Can now move into a hybrid role of playing on either talls or smalls as a lockdown guy. He is 31 and speed is a big factor in his game, but I would expect we have 2 more great quality seasons to come from him.

Mids

Weddle - The fact is at full health we already have 8 genuine best 22 defenders, and that's excluding Weddle. I think he is the most likely candidate to get moved.
I would love to see him as a 2008 Matthew Richardson type winger, that really gets forward and kicks goals. He already has the goal sense, long range kicking ability, aerial prowess, and tank, would just need to learn the role. A roaming CHF a la Jeremy Cameron is also an exciting prospect.

D'Ambrosio - Wow. Just turned 21 and only played 39 games. Everything you want in a winger already, and young enough to still have plenty in him. Should take plenty of confidence into next season to close the gap between him and Gulden as the best in the game.

Day - Would just like to see a full season from him. Could see him usurp Sicily as the outright best player in the team.

Newcombe - Late season form was more of what he actually is as a player, still only 75 games into his career, and from now on poised to become a perennial top 10 Brownlow finisher. I hope we get to see a bit more of him resting forward or going forward to break tags.

Worpel - Grunt work mid, really worked on his inside 50 kicking to great effect. Had a big start to the season and then faded, he would hope to iron out some week-to-week consistency issues going into next year. If he can manage that then he will go to another level, although this may just be who he is now given he is 26 at the start of the season. (This one reads harshly but I appreciate you Worps).

Nash - Vital cog that tends to go unnoticed. Similar to Rowbottom from Sydney, does the shit stuff that lets the others shine, always defensively accountable and lays great tackles, blocks, shepherds etc. Can improve his kicking, as well as contested marking and overhead ability given his frame.

Mackenzie - Was mostly a mainstay in a midfield that was pretty durable, especially after Day's return. Consistently shows flashes of class and x factor. Accumulation should be a focus for him over preseason, as when he has the ball good things happen. Fitness levels will play a factor here too, and his body has started to really take shape. Next year could be a breakout one for him.

Meek - Only just played 50 games and has been a revelation since having some confidence in his spot in the team. Dare I say weirdly creative with some handballs, tap work is super solid, developing a lovely little connection with Newcombe in particular, and can bite off short to mid range kicks that he keeps low. Adding the ability to take marks around the ground as a bail out option down the line would be huge for him.

Forwards

Dear - Just time in AFL strength and conditioning environment will do wonders. 40-45 goals next year puts him in the Langford/Georgiades/Treacy/JUH/Stringer/Fogarty range which I think is reasonable. Has taken quite a few marks pushing up the ground as an outlet which I'd like to see more of and will be important for coexisting with Lewis and Chol, as well as our team not having a true long down the line marking option at present.

Moore - If this is his level going forward then brilliant. Spiritual leader of the team.

Macdonald - Plays a role that is a death sentence for many and has made it his own. Infectious energy and nature that is in many ways the true essence of our team this year. Sneakily kicked 28 goals this year. In the back end of the season I noticed him taking a couple contested marks which was cool to see. Still super young, I could see him adding some Gryan Miers to his game in terms of kicking i50 and setting up teammates in addition to his current offerings. Perhaps a few CBAs in his future.

Lewis - Gets put up for trade every second post on here but when healthy is a genuine star KPF. Perhaps the answer here is we can keep his mileage down by having him as true FF working out of the goal square rather than getting up the ground (let Dear do more of this). I see him as a really important piece of the puzzle. Has great leadership qualities which will be important as Gunston likely retires next year.

Chol - Poor finals series will leave a bad taste in some people's mouths but was the main man in a forward line with old man Gunston and first year Dear. If you replace him with Jacob Koschitzke this team does not make finals. Fitness levels would be a realistic area of improvement.

Watson - He will be the best small forward in the league either next year or the year after.

Ginnivan - Showed he can get up the ground and act as a link up player as well as a goal scorer. Accuracy wasn't there this year but should return back to normal. Would love to see him come back quicker and more explosive, which is easier said than done but would take his game to another level.

Would love to hear people's suggestions for areas of improvement for players, or changes you'd make to a potential 23 and why.
Good effort. That side is 6 goals better than our last one.
The only area I’d like to see more depth is leg speed. Our ball speed was great until it got shut down. A speedster or 2 to run through them would be handy GWS style. Take the fastest bloke from the combine.

Backs

Mids

Forwards

B: Sic Barass Hardwick
HB: Battle Scrim Impey
C: Mass Worps Amon
HF: Moore Lewis* Weddle
FF: Watson Dear Ginni
R: Meek. Day. Newk

INT: CMac Ward McKenzie Nash Frost/Ramsden/Chol

*Chol pending return

Would like to get Morrison and Finn in too but Ward and McKenzie would be my first picks and then it would be up to them to hold their places.

I suspect you are right re where Amon plays but personally this would be my set-up. I'm not saying I know more than the MC but I do have an under 13 B&F on my resume, so....

I think Scrim has to start. He was fantastic all year.

I think we need to look at how we nurse Meek through the coming seasons, hence I'd look at Ramma or Chol on the bench even if Lewis returns. Meek looked to be tiring near the end of the year. He's never carried the ruck duties for a whole season previously, obviously. He was great in the prelim after a week off but was down a bit on Friday again, even though I think he's actually a better player than Sweet. He's almost out most important player now! If he got injured we'd be in strife.

I can't see Reeves fitting into our free flowing running game.

I'd like to get a bit more pace into this side, especially the back half if I could. CJ doesn't earn a spot on form this year unfortunately because he'd be ideal at his best.

But that aside I think we are getting very close to having all the pieces if Lewis returns and is in top form. He's never consistently played in a dominating team so it would be interesting to see how he goes on his return if we remain competitive next year. When we have played well against Nth and WC he has kicked bags from memory.

Strategy-wise, we need to drill a Plan B response for when teams slow us up. No surprise we haven't got to that stage of planning yet given the team has so many young and/or new players this year. Backline should be fine in a slower paced game but the key forwards struggled when the game slowed down. For that reason I'd put Weddle up there for his running power and ability to provide long leads, and then hope Lewis can come back fit and well and that Dear continues to develop.

If we play with the same spirit next season and avoid major injuries to key players I reckon we'll be thereabouts at the pointy end of the year.

On ball, kouta mk2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are saying it will be scouted and copied over the summer, but will it if we don't win the flag as it seems the premier is copied more just a finalist, if we don't win it all.
Except half the teams in the AFL cannot do it?

How many teams have the small and medium forwards the Hawks have plus the elite defensive kicks they have?

What Mitchell is doing is building a list to execute a plan. Other clubs simply cannot copy the plan if they don't have the capability in their list to implement it.

Hawks next challenge is to have a plan B - because they needed one against Port.

Hawks next challenge is to have a plan B - because they needed one against Port.
I don't think it's a different game style type of plan B, it's more when we're stifled and not able to put speed on the ball, having a semi reliable bail out option either on the wing or in the forward line, and having a tall defender that can win 1 on 1 contests against the dangerous KPFs when we're facing repeat entries if we're stuck in a territory battle.

Lewis' return and Barrass' inclusion go a long way towards a functional plan B.

Dear's natural improvement as well as Battle being able to replicate (potentially even improve upon) the intercept marking of Weddle (who could be pushed to a wing or forward) will also help.

It's crazy to say since the season hasn't even ended yet, and we have already seriously addressed the main concerns, and in my opinion, we look really balanced and strong going into 2025.

Except half the teams in the AFL cannot do it?

How many teams have the small and medium forwards the Hawks have plus the elite defensive kicks they have?

What Mitchell is doing is building a list to execute a plan. Other clubs simply cannot copy the plan if they don't have the capability in their list to implement it.

It’s not so much we needed a plan B as we needed to better execute plan A. We couldn’t move the ball as we either constantly fumbled or made wrong decisions when we didn’t.

It’s not so much we needed a plan B as we needed to better execute plan A. We couldn’t move the ball as we either constantly fumbled or made wrong decisions when we didn’t.
I disagree.

Hawthorn could not execute plan A - 1/ there was less space on the narrow ground (almost 20m narrower than the MCG) and 2/ Port played man on man which largely curtailed the Hawks switch game and most the of the Hokball game.

Hawthorn offensively have been all about piecing the opposition press with precise kicking either over or between the pressing players. You cannot do this when the opposition is playing man on man.

Hawks are not going to come up against man on man footy all that much, but if they show again they cannot deal with it, it will not take long until they come up against it every week.

I disagree.

Hawthorn could not execute plan A - 1/ there was less space on the narrow ground (almost 20m narrower than the MCG) and 2/ Port played man on man which largely curtailed the Hawks switch game and most the of the Hokball game.

Hawthorn offensively have been all about piecing the opposition press with precise kicking either over or between the pressing players. You cannot do this when the opposition is playing man on man.

Hawks are not going to come up against man on man footy all that much, but if they show again they cannot deal with it, it will not take long until they come up against it every week.

It was a one game sample size, in a game that Hawthorn lost by three points.

We'll have plenty of time in the pre-season to practise new tactical plays, and then more games to practise it next season.

I disagree.

The team fumbled the ball at every opportunity. Which is why we couldn’t get any ball movement going. We couldn’t string any possession chains together because there would be a fumble that invited pressure.

I doubt the teams going to change the way it plays as much as it’s the players adapting to playing a higher level of opposition. Our style of play will slice up man on man defences if we don’t fumble.

The team fumbled the ball at every opportunity. Which is why we couldn’t get any ball movement going. We couldn’t string any possession chains together because there would be a fumble that invited pressure.

I doubt the teams going to change the way it plays as much as it’s the players adapting to playing a higher level of opposition. Our style of play will slice up man on man defences if we don’t fumble.

Mitchell would have said in the after match cool down room, that is finals football and that's what we need to get to in pressure on the opposition.

Mitchell would have said in the after match cool down room, that is finals football and that's what we need to get to in pressure on the opposition.
We will be a heap better for having experienced that pressure. Pretty much none of our players would have experienced close to that ferocity.

I disagree every year a team needs to change its game plan in some way even by a little, Im not saying throw the whole thing in the bin, Port gave the clubs a blue print on how to beat us in this evolution, Yes we aren't at the end of our evolution, but this years game plan I will change in little ways.

Describe Port’s blueprint.

Tigers were the best at absorbing the pressure by way of two things;
İf they got their hands on the ball first, they would always handball frwd over or under the oncoming tackler/so, teammates know this so were on the move to where the ball would go immediately.
Or , if the Oppo mids got the clearance first, they would ' Hunt' in numbers till they ripped the ball off their opponents.

We will play very similarly very soon. Didn't even lose by much to worry about .

We need more star power in the midfield, with Day out Newcombe had to carry the load, i was hoping Mackenzie would lift but was also out. So either we draft or trade for another star, or it's going to come from Ward, Mackenzie or Weddle.

I think this is one area where the players are already on the list. I think it's a sure bet one will elevate himself this year, with the potential for all three too longer term.

MacKenzie is close to a slam dunk and my bet to fill the hole. He's got it all in spades, save for the tank. But that should come if he works hard again in the off season. He was at a level good enough late in the season, and started to influence games accordingly.

It's hard to know how Weddle will go as a midfielder, the question mark would be on his smarts without wanting to sound insulting to the great young man. It's just a different game in there. Wouldn't count him out, he clearly has the ability to learn and the physical attributes to be reaching his prime by the time Nash is winding down.

Ward is the wildcard. If he gets himself together with good confidence and support then we're laughing. In our two finals and a couple of times during the year he's shown tools that none of our other mids have in their game, save for perhaps MacKenzie. Personally I believe that he will make the transition from a young, vanilla looking mid, to damaging A grader. Guys that want for confidence often find it, and it comes with added steel on arrival.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back