Sandilands bump on davis, 1-2 weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

As I posted on another thread, there is a substantial difference between bumping a player high and colliding when both players have eyes on the ball.

Franklin has chosen to bump opponents (yes some were soft and should never have been looked at) while Sandi was watching the ball in an attempt to mark. No deliberate bump.

The collision occurred because one bloke was brave enough to stand his ground. Instead of trying to ping Sandi, this thread would have been worth more if it was solely about Davis' courage. That was certainly worth a mention.

2-3 weeks, he did get him in the head and he could have tackled. Good record will count for him though.

How the hell do you tackle when the opposition doesnt have the ball and your going for the mark. It was a collision between two players, not a bump.

Re: Phil Davis Cleaned up by Sandilands

You cant get rubbed out for high contact in a marking contest like that. He's got nothing to worry about.

Uh, it wasn't a marking contest, Davis took the mark uncontested then Sandilands bumped him. Probably shouldn't go to MRP. Though it should have been 50.

i might be wrong but if sandilands hadnt turned his body then wouldnt he have smashed his teeth/chin into davis's head which could have been alot worse. once he saw davis take the make he couldnt jus stop running automatically with his momentum...bracing for contact was about all he could do

We had to suck it up last week. I'd say Freo will have to do the same on Monday..

Is pot smoking a requirement for Hawks supporters. Coz if you think for a millisecond that Franklin and Sandilands are even comparable, you are ion some serious shit. Franklin, as has been said numerous times had options but choose the wrong one (going to bump rather than tackle). Sandilands had no other option.

I would have been disappointed if Sandilands didn't try to mark the ball, in fact I would have been pissed off if I was Harvey.

It was a genuine contest and showed great guts by Davis and shows what this game is really be about.

Lets not be concerned with the result (disappointed that Davis will be out for a few weeks) but with the courage of Davis and especially so for a kid in his 8th game of AFL.

That was what makes our game the best in the world.

Uh, it wasn't a marking contest, Davis took the mark uncontested then Sandilands bumped him. Probably shouldn't go to MRP. Though it should have been 50.

He took the mark about .000001 seconds to Sandilands arriving. How is he supposed to react to that.

He was going to take the chest mark, davis come the other way and sandi had to turn to protect himself. If he wanted to "take him out" he could have sent him to the south pole.

Hate seeing any player smashed like that let alone one of your own, BUT sandi should not go BUT neither should have franklin the last 3 times, which has been a total joke.

So who knows

I hate dirty play but seems like these days in footy every time theres a big hit, it cant just be taken as a big hit and "thats footy".

I just saw that as a good hard at it contest by both players. Some good balls shown by Davis. Would be disappointing if the MRP panel suspended Sandilands. Just makes it look much worse when he weighs so much more, could feel that bump.

I have no idea. I've given up trying too read the MRP's minds. I would have thought a reprimand or at the outside a week because I thought he was trying to bump rather than mark. But then again when you look back at Hille on Bartel - one which most people thought was worth time off - Hille didn't get anything and clearly wasn't even thinking about anything but taking him out. Similarly in a slightly different situation I didn't think there was much in the Mumford one - legal tackle on a player with the ball but the MRP saw differently. So I have no idea where the lines are for a lot of these things any more.

Agree with everything you said.

There is one rule for Hille, a different rule for Franklin. Let's wait and see which rule applies to Sandi.

Personally, I hope he gets off, but who knows now?

god almighty some Hawthorn supporters are sooks! Absolutely embarrassing

They have to make adjustments. Now that the injury excuse, thin as it ever was, has gone there has to be somereason why they are destined for bottom 4.

Now it's the umpires and the tribunal picking on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

god almighty some Hawthorn supporters are sooks! Absolutely embarrassing

Your thinking in terms of last week only - hawk supporters are thinking about the last three suspensions. LC can you honestly say that the interpretations for Hille and Franklin as pointed out by supporters other than hawks have been adjudicated differently.

Your thinking in terms of last week only - hawk supporters are thinking about the last three suspensions. LC can you honestly say that the interpretations for Hille and Franklin as pointed out by supporters other than hawks have been adjudicated differently.

they've been adjudicated differently because they are different scenarios.

I just have a real issue with Hawks supporters sooking about any other head high contact, PARTICULARLY when it's been pointed out numerous times that the rule clearly states that if you have no other option but to bump - ie because the player doesn't have possession of the ball & thus can't be tackled - that a bump is still legitimate, even if there's incidental high contact, a la Josh Kennedy. This is clearly designed to NOT wipe the bump out of the game, which is absolutely the right philosophy.

I think Franklin was hard done by with one of them particularly, and to be honest, I think the spirit of the law is wrong - it should be to wipe out the serious head-high bumps, not incidental contact.

But the rule is clear. So Hawks fans constantly moaning about the Franklin rule is just obnoxious; and, frankly, stupid.

FWIW I think Hille was lucky in the one they said he was going for the marking contest, but I actually think they got it spot on, as per my comments on what should be the spirit of the law above. As for the last one re Hille, there was no clear head contact, so it's not even an issue

they've been adjudicated differently because they are different scenarios.

I just have a real issue with Hawks supporters sooking about any other head high contact, PARTICULARLY when it's been pointed out numerous times that the rule clearly states that if you have no other option but to bump - ie because the player doesn't have possession of the ball & thus can't be tackled - that a bump is still legitimate, even if there's incidental high contact, a la Josh Kennedy.

I think Franklin was hard done by with one of them particularly, and to be honest, I think the spirit of the law is wrong - it should be to wipe out the serious head-high bumps, not incidental contact.

But the rule is clear. So Hawks fans constantly moaning about the Franklin rule is just obnoxious.

FWIW I think Hille was lucky in the one they said he was going for the marking contest, but I actually think they got it spot on, as per my comments on what should be the spirit of the law above.
As for the last one re Hille, there was no clear head contact, so it's not even an issue

When you constantly hear that the head is sacroscant and must be protected at all times it then becomes difficult to understand how you can interpret what is incidental and what is not - protect the head by all means but don't then pick and choose which is incidental and which is not - I'm sure scattered throughout the history of sport some of the most incidental contacts have resulted in some very serious injuries.

Point in fact - the spirit of the law applies to some but not to others

Your justifying why hille got off but hawk supporters are obnoxious for 'sooking' about franklin not being as lucky. :confused:
Like I said, I don't think and I can only speak for myself that for the most this is not about Sandilands as the contest was similar to Harbrow and Lewis but more about the MRP and it's interpretations. As I said previously it will be interesting to see the outcome for Goddards hit on Cousins and where it differs from Maguires clash that he received a fractured cheekbone but still got done by the MRP for head high contact.

really proud of Philthy, way to earn respect :thumbsu:

Sandilands did absolutely nothing wrong and is just unfortunate that a) he's the height he is and b) mobile to even get to the contest in the time he did.

We should burn AFL house down if he gets a game.

2-4 :thumbsdown:

If he couldn't avoid the contact then why should he get a week?

Because there are different grades of contact the match review panel take into account along with prior records.:rolleyes:
Which means he would get less games with his good record and the incident is probably going to be graded as incidental contact.
Phil Davis will miss matches with concussion and with an AC injury.

Because there are different grades of contact the match review panel take into account along with prior records.:rolleyes:

But why should he be cited at all if it was an accidental and unavoidable collision in a marking contest?

If every accidental and unavoidable high hit in marking contests was punished we'd be suspending guys for putting their knees in the back of someone's head while they go for a screamer, or for hitting someone with their hip while they fly across the top for a mark.

But why should he be cited at all if it was an accidental and unavoidable collision in a marking contest?

If every accidental and unavoidable high hit in marking contests was punished we'd be suspending guys for putting their knees in the back of someone's head while they go for a screamer, or for hitting someone with their hip while they fly across the top for a mark.

It wasn't a marking contest. The ball went past Lurch and his opponent.
Davis got the ball and Lurch tucked his arm in and collided with Davis. BTW it was a fair bump which happened to make head high contact which the AFL frowns upon. Those are the rules and us supporters just have to accept the decisions that the AFL make even if they are stupid ones.

It wasn't a marking contest. The ball went past Lurch and his opponent.

No it didn't. Davis ran back with the flight and marked just in front of Sandi as he was running to mark the ball.

No it didn't. Davis ran back with the flight and marked just in front of Sandi as he was running to mark the ball.

If the ball didn't go past Lurch and his opponent how did Davis mark the ball.:rolleyes:
Going by what you just said then I'm wrong and Lurch had plenty of time to avoid Phil Davis and deserves 3 - 4 weeks.:p

It wasn't a marking contest. The ball went past Lurch and his opponent.Davis got the ball and Lurch tucked his arm in and collided with Davis. BTW it was a fair bump which happened to make head high contact which the AFL frowns upon. Those are the rules and us supporters just have to accept the decisions that the AFL make even if they are stupid ones.

So how did Davis marl it then, if it went past him? You didn't watch the game obviously.

No they aren't the rules. If you decide to bump instead of tackle & get a player high you are gone. if you are in a marking contest & hit the player accidentally, you are fine.

FFS, when are people going to get that through their thick heads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sandilands bump on davis, 1-2 weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back