VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Practice Matches (noting the AFL pre-season is pretty much done by 13th March in terms of matches) :

Saturday 13th March v Box Hill at Trevor Barker Beach Oval (Seniors 2pm, Reserves 11am)

Friday 19th March v Williamstown at Whitten Oval (Seniors 4pm, Reserves 6pm)

Saturday 27th March v Northern Bullants at Visy Park (Seniors 12pm, Reserves 10am)

Saturday 3rd April v Port Melbourne at TEAC Oval (Seniors 2pm, Reserves 11am)

Seaford ace among Zebra newcomers
From http://www.localfooty.com.au
Reported by Paul Amy
BEFORE Christmas Sandringham general manager John Mennie was fretting about his club's lack of recruits.
``We can't get a deal over the line,'' he said, noting how the Zebras had been outdone by Port Melbourne for AFL pair Shane Valenti and Adam Bentick.
But the past fortnight brought a string of signatures for Sandy, including delisted St Kilda utility Brad Howard, two more disenchanted Frankston Dolphins in James Magner and Nick Benbow, highly-regarded Seaford centreman Chris Irving, former Melbourne and Box Hill forward Cameron Hunter and Daniel Sands from Woodville West Torrens.
Throw in Sandringham Dragons graduates Jonno Nash, Dylan Jones and Sam O'Sullivan, and Dandenong Stingrays James Hallinan and Maddison Andrews, and Mennie's worries have eased considerably.
Pretty sure they also got Lourey from Frankston and Jarryn Geary's brother. Jonno Nash is Tom Lynch's close friend who has been dogged by injury but can play. James Hallihan and Maddy Andrews are good players as well so maybe not all bad for Sandy this year

Shame about Valenti - I'm a rap for him. But would like to see Eddy, Gears, Hutchings, and Ali Smith get as much midfield time as possible in the VFL (assuming Armo and Jack Flash play regular AFL footy).

Interesting with Brad Howard - hopefully he can show more than the odd glimpse this year.

Brad Howard is interesting. It's funny because when all the Riewold't /Gold coast rumours were going around, the theory was that anyone from up that way would jump at the chance to go home. But now we have a guy who probably doesn't have a hell of a lot to stay for, but he does anyway. Maybe he thinks he can still give it a shot.

Blokes are named Maddison now?

The world is getting scarey isn't it?

Blokes called Maddison, and you make front page news if you do a couple of doughnuts in the carpark.

One thing I felt about the change to Sandringham is that the Saints didn't seem to have as much control as they did at Casey. Whether thats just my impression or not, I'm not sure.
It would be good to see the strategies/game style more co-ordinated.

It would be good to see the strategies/game style more co-ordinated.

First year blues were always likely. But we still need to deal with certain people wanting a vacant F50 so they can win another Frosty Miller goalkicking award.

Pretty sure they also got Lourey from Frankston and Jarryn Geary's brother.

Yep - spot on :

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/general/geary-joins-sandy/1741865.aspx

Bendigo Pioneers club champion Kallen Geary has signed with VFL club Sandringham.

A shock non-selection in last year’s AFL national draft and AFL rookie draft, Geary was chased heavily by several VFL clubs, including the Bendigo Bombers.

“Obviously, the prospect of maybe playing with Jarryn was a part of the decision,” Kallen said.

what happened to a fella surname Crowe he lined up chf early in the year.

Rod Crowe's not noted as a departure yet, so maybe he's still around. Hard nut.

First year blues were always likely. But we still need to deal with certain people wanting a vacant F50 so they can win another Frosty Miller goalkicking award.

Pretty hard to have a vacant F50 at Sandy..it's a relatively small ground....funny...didn't stop the Goose kicking a few goals or Tom Lynch getting a few...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great for Paul, in fact he kicked 4 in the second quarter out of 10.
Apparently Tommy Walsh was the biggest possession winner for Sandy in the first quarter and then got injured (saw him at the game last night and he was limping) Sandy had 8 St Kilda players and Box Hill had 10 Hawthorn players so some promising signs maybe

It appears the Zebras are playing on the right side of town this weekend so I might wander down and have a look.

BTW, I'm really glad to see Cahill kick 6 goals. I think a few people have been quick discount him as a future Saints player. Obviously he has a long way to go but he's only going into his second year as a listed player after an injury interrupted first season.

Sainter - would be great if you could duck in for a look.

Hopefully Walsh only got a corkie last week and will play. Was stated to have been playing well at full back.

SS - believe Gardi rucked for part of the game and got around OK.

We are still waiting to see some of Steven, Eddy, JWS, Simpkin, and Winmar. Hopefully they will start lining up with the Zebras soon.

Who rucked for the Zeb's , was it Patterson? Did McGrath get a go?
Did Nick Winmar get a run?

Pattison is injured...McGrath was at Sandy...I asked him how long he's out for and he said he'd be available for round 1...he had a minor knee op...Nick Winnmar didn't play

Below...Paul Cahill

4442996872_4cc97068c1.jpg

Pattison is injured...McGrath was at Sandy...I asked him how long he's out for and he said he'd be available for round 1...he had a minor knee op...Nick Winnmar didn't play

Below...Paul Cahill

Sounds good, we may have three decent ruckmen, and two at least as good as Brent Renouf by round 1.

I will be heading out there and will try a write up later. Apparently a big contingent of Saints playing. Gardiner, Pattison, Robert Eddy playing first game of the year I think, Stanley, Lynch, Heyne etc. Get my first look at Hutchings along with other rookies Archer, Gaertner and L Fisher. Should be a strong side

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back