VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Port too good. 43 pt win. Heyney kicked one in the last, but not his best work today. King and Raph standouts for us. Stanley had some good moments. Eddy worked battled hard - one of the few to hold his own in close where Port dominated.

many thanks for all the updates, Squizzy !

Cahill kicked at least 4 - competed well with the ball not coming down that great at times. Tried harder to get the front position. Lynchy struggled today after dropping an easy mark early.

Was my first Zebras match, and I think Squizzy has covered everything well. I missed the first 5 mintues (Cahill's first?) and had to leave 15 mins into the last to get ready to meet my friends for the Saints game.

Thought Lynch looked lively in the first and I think he kicked one early on, but didn't show much after quarter time - it was difficult as the ball didn't reach our forward line with much class.

Stanley was very sharp in patches, but still has a way to go. He has a good work ethic and will get better and better. Great leap and a good contested mark, but he was comfortably beaten in the ruck (he also played forward and had a spell down back).

Cahill is a live wire up front. Very keen to present and a good trier - I was impressed. Out of our youngsters I thought he showed the most.

Walsh took a couple of contested marks, but as Squizzy pointed out his positioning is poor. He was a good 10 metres off his opponent for too much of the game.

Here's my rundown:

Basically, it seemed to me it was a game of "men versus boys". With the exception of Raph and King, we basically had our kids out there, and by the third it was obvious the seasoned bodies of Port Melbourne - playing their best team (they're not affiliated with an AFL team) - just got over the top of ours.

- Stanley continues to be exciting. He went up for a mega leap at one point - yet again didn't take the mark, but looked awesome. Covers the ground fantastically. I still think he's going to become a running forward like Roo, and that over time his ruckwork will fade into the background.

- Cahill was very good. Strong, knew where the goals were, good on the lead. Kosi was there yesterday (more on that in a minute), and I think he would have watched Cahill with a bit of interest.

- Heyne was very solid, and did some nice things - I think he was actually tagging at points a strong aboriginal Port Melb midfielder, Lynch. I could be wrong on that, but seemed to be at the very least going head to head with him. The PM Lynch had a good day, but I got the impression some of the Port supporters thought he was down for the day.

- Lynch really needs to learn how to play when the pressure isn't on. He runs and runs - great work ethic. He is great in tight, high pressure play. But put him sitting by himself with nobody around, 45m out, ball straight to his chest, and nup, can't take the grab. Or run him down the wing with nobody around him and a guy sitting at the 20m mark with an easy lead on his opponent, and nup. Hopefully that's just a maturity thing.

- Tommy Walsh did look pretty lost out there at points - and Squizz is right, he loses his man far too much. He chronically over-commits on the spoil, so if it doesn't come off, his player just runs off - its the kinda problem you never see somebody who's played the game all their life making. Having said all that, I thought he improved over the game, and he took some excellent marks.

- The stats will say that Wool got beaten by his opponent, but I reckon his dad can be proud. It was a good learning day for him. Archer was much the same - steep learning.

- Alias went off with a VERY nasty gash on his face, but came back on in the 2nd. Looked okay at points, but not with that flash I was expecting.

Kosi was waltzing around the joint, talking to fans, high-fiving here and there (nobody was injured...). By the way, his wife/girlfriend is TINY! She's like 5ft nothing. When I first saw him and her, he was talking to a group of kids, and I thought she was one of them! My wife (who's pregnant remember) remarked "oh, I don't want to be her having his kids! OUCH!"

Overall, a good showing, despite the score. Great learning experience for the boys.

Bendigo Pioneers club champion Kallen Geary has signed with VFL club Sandringham.

A shock non-selection in last year’s AFL national draft and AFL rookie draft, Geary was chased heavily by several VFL clubs, including the Bendigo Bombers.

“Obviously, the prospect of maybe playing with Jarryn was a part of the decision,” Kallen said.

Doesn't look too bad (I thought #3 had played pretty well for Sandy, and only found out after the game it was Geary). Maybe with Allen and Fisher coming off the rookie list we will have more space for prospects like him.

Also saw Blake McGrath at the ground - has put on weight over the pre-season (about 250 grams if I'm not mistaken).

- Alias went off with a VERY nasty gash on his face, but came back on in the 2nd. Looked okay at points, but not with that flash I was expecting.

Think that was Rob Eddy (late change from the team sheet). Assume Alias was backup for the North game, with Eddy getting some match practice.

Thanks for the reports guys, I was stuck at the G. I was genuinely shattered when the filth got up.

I have two questions about Paul Cahill so that I can get some idea about what kind of player he is. The brief cameo against Freo in the NAB Cup is all I can go on really.

1) Are all of his marks coming from chest marks on the lead or is he taking them overhead? I just want an idea if he's capable of taking a contested mark or if he's overpowered by the more bigger bodied defenders.

2) Does he win much of the ball at ground level or does he not really get involved once the ball hits the deck?

Thanks. :)

Normally goes for his marks, so was surprising to see him trying to take them on the chest in the NAB Cup. Probably trying to play it safe, but some will remember one bouncing straight off his chest.

Not ready to deal with a close checking AFL defender yet (or one that will try to run off him). Good signs though, as he does command the ball. Has a good leap and is skilled. Nimble enough at ground level, and a couple of his goals were scrounged snaps.

If he's prepared to do the work required to build the necessary fitness base and get enough upper body strength to be able to hold his ground without using his hands, we could have a genuine find. I'd note he has been successfully gobbed whilst kicking for goal, so he'll need to learn how to block that out.

Sautner played in the game as well, and they flew for the same ball at one stage. Will be interesting to see how they function together this year.

Thanks Squizzy.

I enjoy following the progress of our younger players and young key position prospects don't exactly grow on trees.

I look forward to reading the reports of our games in this thread.

Thanks for reports guys

I was glad to finally get some names and numbers to follow with the publication of the Lists today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankston Dolphins look to new recruits
Staff Writers From: Leader April 04, 2010 5:53PM

UP TO a dozen first-gamers could be in Frankston's team to tackle Sandringham in Sunday's VFL season opener at Kars St.
The Dolphins' list has never been so young and inexperienced.

Only two players on the list captain Paul Kennedy and Clinton Proctor have played more than 50 VFL games.

Just four have played 20 games or more.

Frankston's average age is 19.

* ADDING spice to this Sunday's clash with Sandringham, the Zebras line-up could boast four ex-Dolphins.

Magner, Kelvin Barnes, Nick Benbow and Michael Lourey could be up against their old mates.

Also, former Seaford star and MPNFL league medallist Chris Irving will make his VFL debut with Sandy.

Frankston v Sandringham (11/04/2010 - Frankston Oval)

1.) Seniors - 2:00 PM

Lourey Gaertner L. Fisher
Clarke Walsh Heyne
Gallagher R. Eddy A. Smith
Geary Stanley Tregear
Cahill Sautner Hunter
McEvoy Irving Steven
Nash Magner Howard Archer Bruno Johnson Hutchings Pattison

2.) Reserves - 11:00 AM

Andrews Shakallis B. Eddy
O'Sullivan Gower Stapleton
Williams Ferraro Smith-Cameron
Allan Cathcart T. Johnston
Hardiman Boland Barnes
D. Jones C. Johnston L. Fisher
Archer Cleeve Hutchings Fleming Worner Meehan Johnson McConnell

NOTES

- good to see Steven back
- "Geary" is Jarryn's brother Kallen
- Walsh selected for the Seniors (in the backline again)
- two former Saints selected (Howard for Sandy and Haretuku for Frankston)

Wait, who is Kallen Geary signed with in the AFL? We didn't draft him, did we?

He was overlooked in all drafts last year and then signed for Sandringham.

Wait, who is Kallen Geary signed with in the AFL? We didn't draft him, did we?
He didn't get picked up in the draft, but Sandy picked him up soon afterwards.

Hmm, keep an eye on him then - we should look into him if he's any good - would love to have another Geary at the club.

Gee will be interesting to see who actually gets a game and who misses out as 15 Sainters named but can only play 12 against Frankston. Noticed Tom Lynch not named and Tom Simpkin musn't have come up but will be due back soon. Pretty strong looking team and should have Frankston's measure but looking forward to Sunday

Way off topic, but a bit of Scorpions news.
James Walls is acting captain of the Scorpions at the moment, since their regular captain was hospitalised after an altercation when the boys went to the pub to watch Silvagni's debut.
Berwick Star Newspaper if anyone's interested.

Are you talking about Kyle Matthews, SS?
He went to the Geebung and (according to comments on the EFL Forum) allegedy got king hit by the brother of his ex-girlfriends new man. Apparently, he is faring better this week.

Are you talking about Kyle Matthews, SS?
He went to the Geebung and (according to comments on the EFL Forum) allegedy got king hit by the brother of his ex-girlfriends new man. Apparently, he is faring better this week.

It was Kyle Matthews at Geebung, but the rest of it certainly wasn't in the paper ( forums are good like that ).
Defenitely not playing this week, but he may be out of intensive care.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back