VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be heading out there and will try a write up later. Apparently a big contingent of Saints playing. Gardiner, Pattison, Robert Eddy playing first game of the year I think, Stanley, Lynch, Heyne etc. Get my first look at Hutchings along with other rookies Archer, Gaertner and L Fisher. Should be a strong side

Looking forward to this, especially anything on Hutchings and Gaertner.
Much appreciated.

Sandy ended up going down I would say but no scoreboard so hard to tell. Thought from a Saints point of view they would be very happy with Gardiner and Pattison in the ruck who both did well, Robert Eddy looked fantastic but unfortunately got injured again, not sure what it was but I saw him throw his water bottle away in disgust and looked very dejected. Tommy Walsh looked good but a few times just did the wrong thing due to not properly understanding the game, he will get better. Young Hutchings looks the goods and is a hard worker. Heyney, Paul Cahill and Lynchy flashed in and out of the game. Ali Smith looks set for a ripper season. Rhys Stanley would be disappointed with his game and just couldn't get into it. Probably the best for Sandy was Gardiner who will be right for round 1 vs the Swans

Had a look at the game at Princes Park :

Stanley - showed everyone who'd look his groin (put it away Rhys!!!). Seemed in pretty good spirits, so I'd hope it was precautionary. Bit disappointing, as he was one of the main reasons I'd gone for a "squizz" and he did the injury early on.

Johnson - did some amazing kicks in the warm up, with head high kicks over 50m. Just couldn't get into the game though, and they ended up putting him in the ruck in the last quarter.

Pattison - dunno why he cops so much criticism. At his height, he probably is never going to be a strong tap ruckman. But his work as a forward was excellent and took a number of marks and laid a heap of effective tackles.

Gardi - real good. Chased, tackled and presented all day. The Bullants had a couple of sizeable ruckmen, so wasn't as if he was up against kids. Even pulled off a nice left foot pass under pressure.

Lynch - excellent. Notwithstanding he isn't a powerhouse overhead, has very good running capacity and seems to know where the ball's going. Kicked a few goals, including a couple of gems (set shot hard up on the boundary and snap from 40m). Very vocal.

A. Smith - pretty good. Maybe didn't get as much as you'd like (still would have had 20 possessions). Used it reasonably well. Can't remember him having any shots on goal though.

Heyne - played on ball. Seemed to go in a little harder than I've seen previously. Got plenty of sledging from a few opponents (including that nob Hadley). Didn't get too many touches forward of centre.

Archer - still learning, but can get off the ground for a large lad. Played back most of the time and made a number of authoritative spoils. Kicked woefully in the warm-up, but when he had a shot during the game slotted in through the middle.

Cahill - good athlete and kicked a few goals. Still plays from behind a little too much for mine (has a great leap which is better used from the front) and "sort of" chases out of F50. Maybe didn't have a full pre-season after a late season injury in '09, so will wait and see.

Walsh - surprised me in that he can kick a long ball (over 50m not a problem). Still learning the caper and got turned inside out a few times, and was a little slow to react to a long lead from his opponent. Good signs though.

Raph - got a fearful spray from Gardi for his second poor choice early in the game (kicked across ground in defence to a contest). Got dragged. Covered the ground well though, and ran out the game.

Fisher - just OK. The Bullants had a number of quick players, and despite Fisher being very good in close they burned him off a few times.

Think that was all.

# 14 for Sandy was Maddison Andrews from the Dandenong Stingrays...Hutchings didn't play

Stanley took a screamer in the first quarter...one of the few highlights for Sandy on the day

I might head along. Is it free entry for Saints members?

I might head along. Is it free entry for Saints members?

not sure for the practice games (this is their last one) - regular home games were free last year and away games at half price (iirc - I haven't been to any away games last year)

Forgot to mention.

Before Kazak went off injured, he'd taken possession on the wing, looked at his opponent, and thought "I've got you for pace pal" (even though the opponent was not a tall player).

So he takes off and is about to get away. But instead of handballing to himself, he tried to bounce at full pace and completely _ucked it up.

Whilst funny to watch, it shows he is starting to push the boundaries of what he can get away with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any other Sandringham listed players do ok?

Struggling to recognise them with Liddell, Biddlecombe, Summers, Crowe and Sautner no longer there (or not playing).

The Bullants seemed to have a strong line-up - Grigg and #8 (Armfield?) dominated all day.

Gallagher (now Sandy's captain?) was good again.

A number of the Sandy guys flashed in and out of the play - #15 and #4 spring to mind. #14 (Andrews as was pointed out) was another. Probably not enough 4 quarter efforts from any of the others. Maybe Zebraman can help with the Sandy-listed better players.

Might have another look this week. Hopefully guys like Dempster and Gaertner will play (sounds like Jack is still a while away). With the Saints playing later in the day, obviously there will be an emergency who won't play in either game (like Rob Eddy last week).

By the way, I was pleased to see Alex Silvagni get a game with Freo - one of my favourites at Casey.

Okay, getting excited now.

I think I might be able to clear away ALL of Saturday in Melbourne, and see the RESERVES game as well! So I'll see BOTH Zebs games, probably by myself in peace (unless my brothers here want to catch up...!) and then walk up to Docklands to watch the Saints game with family.

Still a few things to work out, so not entirely set in stone, but heaps excited nonetheless! Probably won't get to too many games this year, with Percy Jnr on the way, so yeah.

Okay, getting excited now.

I think I might be able to clear away ALL of Saturday in Melbourne, and see the RESERVES game as well! So I'll see BOTH Zebs games, probably by myself in peace (unless my brothers here want to catch up...!) and then walk up to Docklands to watch the Saints game with family.

Still a few things to work out, so not entirely set in stone, but heaps excited nonetheless! Probably won't get to too many games this year, with Percy Jnr on the way, so yeah.
I'll be up for a meeting up for the Zebs game. Don't know anyone else going at the moment (am meeting friends for the Saints later).

I'm just leaving now. Am going to be wearing a big Saints rainjacket with "SAINTS" in capitals on my back in fleuro-white. Also Jeans.

Sorry, not a very distinctive description, but a red carnation would just look pathetic...

Up by 3 points at half time. King playing well. Cahill another goal. Wool set a big task on bonaddio but going ok. Walsh keeps losing his man (a problem when you're at full back!). Eddy providing plenty of run but struggling with his kicking. Heyney had a great first quarter off half back. Howard finally starting to use his pace - should have done it last year!

Got pantsed in the third quarter, with our boys down back having a tough time of it. Cahill another clever goal. Raph and King still going ok, but not much from the others. Some poor discipline with at least 10 frees going against us in the quarter. Down by 35 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back