3. James Magner 57
4. Chris Irving 52
5. David Gallagher 51
6. Jack Steven 39
7. Tommy Walsh 38
7. Alistair Smith 38
9. Tom Lynch 37
10. Nick Sautner 31

I have a feeling Simpkin is gunna be a real gem for us... real nuggety reliable type. And Walsh.. his first year of playing the game and gets that result.. that is outstanding. How far off do you think he is and how good will he turn out to be?

Hope a few of those, steven, smith etc can start to make the step up now and cement a spot next year.

Tregear.

Quite unbelievably Sautner finished in the top 10:

1. Shane Tregear 79
2. Tim Simpkin 62
3. James Magner 57
4. Chris Irving 52
5. David Gallagher 51
6. Jack Steven 39
7. Tommy Walsh 38
7. Alistair Smith 38
9. Tom Lynch 37
10. Nick Sautner 31

My view of picking up Tregear has been validated.

Is Tim Simpkin related to Rob Who?

My view of picking up Tregear has been validated.

Is Tim Simpkin related to Rob Who?

I figured you were "angling", Guide. Whilst it would not surprise to see him picked up with the compromised draft (he does have good goal sense, can kick 50m and marks solidly overhead), the game is only getting quicker - my view is that he will struggle to impact versus the slightly lesser pace of the game at VFL level.

If the Saints website has him as Tim, maybe we've found his nickname :D (noticed the Zebs website at least got it right).

I figured you were "angling", Guide. Whilst it would not surprise to see him picked up with the compromised draft (he does have good goal sense, can kick 50m and marks solidly overhead), the game is only getting quicker - my view is that he will struggle to impact versus the slightly lesser pace of the game at VFL level.

If the Saints website has him as Tim, maybe we've found his nickname :D (noticed the Zebs website at least got it right).

The 5 pound line works a treat Squizzle!!!

I think there's pros and cons for Tregear. I don't believe for a second that he is a bona fide AFL player, but given the current situation with the draft I do think he would be worth a look and seeing if a pre-season with the Saints does anything for him. I guess it's a tough one though. Will Johnson probably didn't improve much this year as opposed to last despite him being on the senior list? How long do you give these blokes is the big question?

The 5 pound line works a treat Squizzle!!!

I think there's pros and cons for Tregear. I don't believe for a second that he is a bona fide AFL player, but given the current situation with the draft I do think he would be worth a look and seeing if a pre-season with the Saints does anything for him. I guess it's a tough one though. Will Johnson probably didn't improve much this year as opposed to last despite him being on the senior list? How long do you give these blokes is the big question?

Whats wrong with him? Is it his speed?
How would you rate his speed on a scale of 1( Leigh Fisher) to 10 ( Stanley)

I'll do Will first - had a shocking year for mine, but just seems like the kind of guy where the penny will drop overnight. Has all the fight and desire in the world. Can spoil, is a good athlete, marks overhead well, kicks 60m. Just does some crazy dumb things at times which he could well eradicate from his game with experience.

Tregear doesn't have any straight-line speed - more of a lopey runner - but has very good agility in picking the ball up off the deck and changing direction. It is a nice combination with being "tall" for his size in marking contests.

Whilst we have a big game tomorrow, at the end of the day trade week starts next week and decisions will need to be made!

As an aside, I heard a rumour (don't know how credible it is, and I don't normally post these ones, but we'll find out the answer soon enough) that JWS has changed his mind and wants to go again. It is interesting that there has been no official word on his retirement to date.

Could Tregear play as a medium Forward?

Has a hint of Brad Green about him (if you wanted a comparison) in terms of pace and the way he moves, although Green is obviously very strong overhead (for his size) and fairly deadly in front of the sticks.

Our gameplan revolves around defensive pressure, and I'd also wonder whether we should continue to back Lynchy in the role of the mobile marking forward.

But some clubs could probably see a spot for him on the list.

Has a hint of Brad Green about him (if you wanted a comparison) in terms of pace and the way he moves, although Green is obviously very strong overhead (for his size) and fairly deadly in front of the sticks.

Our gameplan revolves around defensive pressure, and I'd also wonder whether we should continue to back Lynchy in the role of the mobile marking forward.

But some clubs could probably see a spot for him on the list.

Probably right. Walsh may still be an option too.
There are going to be a lot of clubs looking for the next "Barlow" this draft, and I'm guessing most of them will pick up a Shane Birss or a Leigh Fisher. ( Not putting these guys down ).

With the level the Saints are at I can't see a lot of value in trades, unless the other party is really dumb we will be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
We probably should just get the best available young bloke.
( Or should we re-draft Howard - some of Bevo's other hunches have come good in the long run ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or should we re-draft Howard - some of Bevo's other hunches have come good in the long run.

I note from St Kilda's 22 of last week, only 6 players were from picks under #23. Pleasing.

( Or should we re-draft Howard - some of Bevo's other hunches have come good in the long run ).

I haven't been to as many Sandringham games as Squizzy (who even went to that one game with arctic temperatures, torrential rain and gale force winds...), but I thought that Howard was very good in the games I did watch. Actually, I am surprised to not see him in the Top 10 (16th with 13 votes).

The two guys I would also expect to be under serious consideration by a number of AFL clubs are James Magner and Chris Irving.

Howard was very good in the games I did watch. Actually, I am surprised to not see him in the Top 10 (16th with 13 votes).

That's a great point - and a real indictment on their voting process. He shut down a number of dangerous forwards, and provided good rebound on occasions.

Sautner was named in the best only 3 times during the year! (Wool 8)

But I hear Howie is thinking of giving footy away (in terms of playing near the elite level). I hope he changes his mind.

That's a great point - and a real indictment on their voting process. He shut down a number of dangerous forwards, and provided good rebound on occasions.

Sautner was named in the best only 3 times during the year! (Wool 8)

But I hear Howie is thinking of giving footy away (in terms of playing near the elite level). I hope he changes his mind.

Oh well Sautner is at the twilight of a career that isn't quite going to make the bigtime. Let him enjoy what he gets.
Plenty of chances for Wool to get some real glory in the future ( I hope).

Maybe it's because Howard has decided to give it away that he's playing so well. Some people don't enjoy the pressure.

Brett Lovett has been appointed coach (2 year deal).

http://bayside-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/out-lovell-in-lovett/

Was previously coach at Frankston (2003-2008).

He came into the Sandringham’s thinking when it decided to go with a part-time coach (Lovett operates a large nursery on the Mornington Peninsula and could not commit to a full-time role in football).

Lovett said he was taken aback when asked to apply for the position.

Lovett met Saints coach Ross Lyon last Wednesday to talk over how the clubs would go about it.

“It’s another challenge, getting two groups to play as one. Sandringham has been a successful club and likes to win, as we all do. St Kilda is probably looking to develop players. But I’m sure I can work with both clubs. It is an alignment so we need to be able to work together and make sure we’re all on the same page and working towards the same goal, winning games and improving players.”

Lovett said he would adopt his own game style “but I’d be crazy to not link in with St Kilda in some way”.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back