VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the replay of the game v Nth Ballarat.

Was very impressed with the hardness at the ball, but unfortunately some skills were very ordinary and probably cost the Zebs the game in the end.

Loved what I saw of Tommy Walsh in the 1st half. His kicking action is unorthodox, but it's solid contact and usually seems to spin correctly. There was a patch of play just prior to half time where Pattison won the centre tap to Ali Smith who kicked it forward and Walsh came out on a strong lead and marked and converted. This shows he has an understanding of the play and knows when to time leads. He also had some nice link up with handball.

I thought Geary was our best player as he was everywhere, back, middle and forward (should have finished off a few more chances in front of goal, however).

I was extremely impressed with Shane Tregear. The way he winds up that left foot reminds me of Marty Mattner from Sydney. Has only played 29 VFL games I believe, but I was very impressed and when he got it, good things happened. Perhaps B2010 or Squizzle could tell me more?

Just finished watching the replay of the game v Nth Ballarat.

I was extremely impressed with Shane Tregear. The way he winds up that left foot reminds me of Marty Mattner from Sydney. Has only played 29 VFL games I believe, but I was very impressed and when he got it, good things happened. Perhaps B2010 or Squizzle could tell me more?

Great to see people being impressed by Trigger. I am a big fan and hope he gets picked up later in the year. The guy is all class, his nickname suits him as obviously it comes from his surname but his left foot is like a gun being loaded and fired off, deadly.

Mentioned this to Squizz a couple of weeks ago and he said he would look out for him but hadn't noticed it as yet.

We will see how the year pans out.

Howdy partners (this time from Mexico City ... oops ... I mean LA).

Looking forward to my VCR working whilst I was away to catch the Sandy match (when I get back after a 16 hour flight tonight).

From the games I saw prior to leaving, I still can't see the AFL in Trigger - but having said that he certainly does some clever things.

With Eddy, Armo and Gears having dominated VFL games but finding the going alot harder in the AFL, I'd have my doubts on Trigger being listed by the Saints (particularly with Heyney on the list who is very similar in type).

But a fair way to go in the season, and opportunity to push for a spot. No doubt there will be left-field draft selections in the coming years and more mature aged players.

I thought Howard was doing a lot of right things, though obviously struggling with injury on the weekend.

Has been very good in the games I've seen - a vastly improved player from when he was on our list. May have had too many chances at the Saints, although hasn't hurt being at Sandy rather than (say) an interstate club.

Has been very good in the games I've seen - a vastly improved player from when he was on our list. May have had too many chances at the Saints, although hasn't hurt being at Sandy rather than (say) an interstate club.

It says a bit about the character of the bloke to stick with Sandy as well. He played as a small defender against Nth Ballarat and really used his pace well to rebound and break tackles. His disposal is questionable though.

Saturday 5th June at Victoria Park reserves 11 am seniors 2 pm

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10447-0-0&sID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12284705&sectionID=56266
Seniors: Vs Collingwood

B Smith Johnson Simpkin
HB Lynch Gaertner Dempster
C Gallagher Magner Tregear
HF Hutchings Lourey Heyne
F Steven Walsh Cahill
R Pattison Armitage Smith
Int Ferraro Fisher Sautner Bruno Hardiman Andrews
Howard Irving

In - Irving, Hardiman, Ferraro, Cahill, Heyne

Out - Geary, Nash

Reserves: Vs Coburg

B Smith-Cameron Gower O'Sullivan
HB Winmar Nash Hunter
C Geary Paterakis Johnston
HF Hardiman Archer McConnell
F Barnes Boland Ferraro
R McGrath Johnston Fisher
Int Allan Waller Fleming Jones

What concerns me when I watch the Zebras is that all our AFL and Rookie players over 6.2 foot, are playing in the backline.
Is this cause our AFL team is a little thin? or they don't believe that the backline is that good? It is a worry.:cool:

What concerns me when I watch the Zebras is that all our AFL and Rookie players over 6.2 foot, are playing in the backline.
Is this cause our AFL team is a little thin? or they don't believe that the backline is that good? It is a worry.:cool:

Tom Walsh is over 6'2. I'm guessing if Lynch plays back it is to make room in the forward line for Walsh ( at Saints orders ).
With Sautner, its hard to have too many other talls, and you can't really ask them to bench the club captain so that our Irish rookie can have a go.

Cahill is also > 6'2.
Pattison will play in the ruck.

Been watching a bit of the replay. Had to stop for a break after some excruciating decisions against the boys, which the commentators picked up on a number of times.

Pattison as the lone ruckman is interesting. Thought he was excellent in the ruck and in getting the ball around the ground, but let himself down pretty badly with disposal decisions.

With Lourey in the team and Sautner off the bench, it probably isn't the worst decision to have either PC or Lynchy down back. Walsh was always recruited as a forward, and despite showing some good form down back it does seem time to give him an extended run at the forward role. Isn't a natural kick for goal like Sautner, but his rate of improvement is encouraging.

Thought Brad Howard was good again in the first half, but copped a real heavy knock from a teammate (the Nth Ballarat player won a free for high contact despite no contact at all from the Sandy player who took out Howard!).

Jack struggled to get into the play, but looks great when he gets his hands on it and his defensive efforts are handy.

Happy to see Tommy S back into it. A good prospect, although I do see what another poster raised a while back (sometimes overdoes the possession given his role).

The Alias role was interesting (run-with midefielder), which he did to reasonable effect.

A bit surprised to see Gears named in the AFL. Despite his terrific workrate, his disposal was pretty sloppy and his attempts on his left foot were not what you'd like. Still, a good game from him.

Armo was typically hardworking, and must be close to a recall.

Think we have a number of good young players on the list which will repay us over time (if we hang onto them).

Will probably look to drop into skank-town tomorrow for a squiz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reserves lost by 2 goals. Archer, Miles, Leigh Fish, McGrath, and Winmar all played - although Cuz ended the game in ice and Miles was also on the bench.

Disregarding this weekend (the two you mention and possibly Clarke with a hamstring problem), our injury list should be down to Riewoldt and Dawson ?

Despite some terrible wet weather footy and lack of help from the coaches box, we only trailed 0.3 to 1.7 at qtr time.

Armo playing well.

PC, Heyney and Drago also going OK (couple of real strong efforts from Heyney).

Up by 4 at half time - 4.6 to 2.14.

Tommy S playing well down back on Pumpkinhead.

Tommy L getting a few touches in defence.

Drago doing a job up forward and is contesting well.

Armo still racking up possessions.

Patto doing an excellent job in the ruck, although still having some trouble getting good contact with his kicks.

Coupe of real courageous efforts from JWS who has cut off at least 3 dangerous passages of play.

Hutchings going OK.

For the Zeb players, Tregear very good with 2 goals and Irving obviously liking the slippery conditions.

If the coaches can pull their finger out and give some better instruction we may have a chance. Got a feeling it will otherwise be a tough third term with the Filth having the breeze.

Armo racking up touches, but is he effective with them? Plus providing a forward option or defending or whatever he's not in the team because he's not doing?

Hutchings in the seniors already? Good to hear.

Good to see Simpkin doing well on Anthony?

And is this the first time Lynch has played in defence?

And 2.14 is ridiculously lollable.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back