May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
Also posted in the Regional board...

NORTH ADELAIDE
Damien Cunningham, Shane Edwards, Todd Pfieffer, Zac Millar, Greg Gallman, Jonathon Cheetham, Michael Wundke, Matthew Wright, Josh Starke

GLENELG
James Sellar, Bryce Gibbs, Angus Lally, Tom Holmes, Mark Austin, Richard O'Grady, Aaron Day, Lachlan Button

WEST ADELAIDE
Alex Hutchins, Caolan Buckley, Chris Schmidt, James Van Der Haak, Daniel Caire

NORWOOD
Luke McLean, Josh Donohue, Toby Schultz

SOUTH ADELAIDE
Chris Jurek, Jacob Crate, James Boyd, James Turner

CENTRAL DISTRICT
Chad Obst

PORT ADELAIDE
Lindsay Thomas, Adam Pepe

STURT
Tom Hurley, Tom Anderson

WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS
Sam Jacobs

Good work raboyle, that squad is a corker IMO. A serious chance to take the Under 18 title tho I think WA should still be the favourites.

The guys to look out for are well obvious, Sellar and Gibbs cleary the best two players in that side and both will get C or V/c duties.

The ones to watch other than these two are:

Tom Hurley - Having a terrific season in the SANFL atm, is now the main rover at Sturt and his prev two games have yieled 32 touches in EACH game, the most recent with 2 goals as well. Dominated SA Under 16's, always named the best or very close to to and will again be high in the best for the Under 18's. Leather poisoning player, will find the footy all day and night and uses it fairly well. Not the biggest body but if he is holding his own in the SANFL, he can definitely handle Under 18's. Poss AA prospect.

Tom Holmes - Another excellent midfield prospect whose use of the footy is first rate. His ability to hit targets is excellent and makes the right decisions. Been playing SANFL reserves level for nearly two years and been in the best many times. I liken to lad to Shane Crawford the way he moves and uses the ball. This bloke oozes class and AFL potential and althought hasn't reached the levels of Gibbs and to a lesser degree Hurley, is a future star and is my favourite player in the whole squad.

Lindsay Thomas - Very small but exciting aboriginal prospect, craved up SANFL Under 17's last year regularly being the best player for Port. This season has been stringing some top games together in SANFL reserves and earnt promotion to the Port league side - The best side in the SANFL atm which is a great effort. Has a plenty of pace, uses footy fairly well, tho can scuff it a few times, nonethless is going to be noticed at the carnival. Query on his size but Pearce made is, this bloke can too. Liken him to a smaller Andrew Lovett type.

Todd Pfieffer - Made his SANFL debut last round and certainly grabbed attention with a strong performance through the midfield, 2 goals both under pressure. He does lack pace but has a terrific football brain and a good decision maker, even under pressure. Finds and uses the footy well and can kick a goal or two. Composed and has plenty of time, but needs to put on some muscle and improve his first 10-15m pace. Dominated Under 17's last year.

Zac Millar - Another aboriginal player, bigger body than Thomas but not as quick. Still has pace and can do the uncanny brilliant and also the terrible. Very up and down player, self confidence a big issue on how he goes on gameday but has the basic tools. Disposal generally solid but can let him down here and there. Knows how to kick a goal and would be in SA'S best for most of the games one would think. Bit like Xavier Clarke without the marking power.

Michael Wundke - Big strong Full forward who absolutely dominated Under 17's and Under 19's before breaking his leg. Kicked many bags of 9+ goals with a few bags of 10 and above IIRC. Too big and strong for smaller defenders in those underage ranks and hence easily outmarked and outlead opponents and kicked plenty with his accurate kick. Not so dominant at reserves level but he is still finding his form after his broken leg. Will be the main man in SA attack espec is Sellar rucks. Fairly one-dimensional but relatively reliable. Perhaps a bit too old-fasioned Full forward like to be considered for the modern day AFL game. Wait and see.

Jonatham Cheetham - Another big strong lad from North, more a CHF who can backup in the ruck. Has a terrific handball in close and also a strong mark. Rarely however, seems to take a game by the scruff of the neck and exert his dominace. Can go missing and for LOOOONG periods of time at that. But when firing is a terrific player. Played mainly reserves and some Under 19 games this year, getting in best a fair few times for Under 19's.

Ok that'll do for now but others to watch are Cunningham, Scmidt, Starke, Edwards, Donohue and Lally. James Boyd is TINY but has no fear at all. Jeremy Clayton like.

The following have played senior SANFL:

Bryce Gibbs (regularly in best)
James Sellar
Angus Lally
Tom Hurley (often in best)
Tom Anderson
Todd Pfieffer
Daniel Caire
Lindsay Thomas

bit of a shock to millar still in the mix, the lad is lazy and just doesn't take his footy seriously.. relies to much on his talent, no work ethic...

thanks for your work thunder!

u said millar's marking ability isnt strong, however, i tend to disagree, i believe for his size his marking is one of his strong points...he is about 181cm so i think a forward or back flank will suit him nicely at the carnvial and will prove hard to match up on. dont think he has the running capacity to play on ball...

agree with your analysis of hurley, i believe he will dominate the carnival, should spend most of the time in the middle where he will accumulate possessions with ease...perhaps before this year his foot skills were questionable, but seeing him play this year it appears he has worked very hard and improved immensly in this compartment...him and pheiffer are the same type of players(not overly pacy midfielders but get a lot of it and are very smart), however, i think hurley is a step above and will show this at the carnival...not saying pheiffer isnt good, i think he is but hurley is just better...

also an interesting but great selection is caire from west adelaide... dominated 19's this year and rewarded with a reserves then league game where he held his own...saw him play 2 or 3 years ago and was only a average player, last year he had improved a lot and this year he has turned into a very good midfielder. not sure how tall he is, probably bout 176-178...but he is quick, smart and uses the ball very well. should definatly make the team and if he does he will be one to watch out for...

also on wundke...before this year i thought he was a very one dimensional player, but it looks like has put in a good pre-season and got himself fit, which has allowed him to play up the ground a bit more... also how tall is he, because i dont know if clubs would draft him as a key position player...

also i thought cubillo from north could've made the squad, been playing well in the reserves for north...but he will be seen in action at the carnival for n.t, who he played for last year...

colin custard said:
thanks for your work thunder!

u said millar's marking ability isnt strong, however, i tend to disagree, i believe for his size his marking is one of his strong points...he is about 181cm so i think a forward or back flank will suit him nicely at the carnvial and will prove hard to match up on. dont think he has the running capacity to play on ball...

agree with your analysis of hurley, i believe he will dominate the carnival, should spend most of the time in the middle where he will accumulate possessions with ease...perhaps before this year his foot skills were questionable, but seeing him play this year it appears he has worked very hard and improved immensly in this compartment...him and pheiffer are the same type of players(not overly pacy midfielders but get a lot of it and are very smart), however, i think hurley is a step above and will show this at the carnival...not saying pheiffer isnt good, i think he is but hurley is just better...

also an interesting but great selection is caire from west adelaide... dominated 19's this year and rewarded with a reserves then league game where he held his own...saw him play 2 or 3 years ago and was only a average player, last year he had improved a lot and this year he has turned into a very good midfielder. not sure how tall he is, probably bout 176-178...but he is quick, smart and uses the ball very well. should definatly make the team and if he does he will be one to watch out for...

Yer spose Millar isn't a bad mark, I was more making a complete comparison with Xavier Clarke whose marking power is excellent for his size/style/type.

I *think* Wundke is around 187cm or so but weighs a tonne. Gotta stop throwing out the damn gameday team lists with heights and weights listed!

Caire goes alright, not wrong about blitzing the Under 19's, glad to see the Weed give him some SANFL league time in a side that is struggling. Not one of the higher profile types but will go about his business and hopefully have a solid carnival.

Wundke was burning last year. I think he kicked collectively 99 goals in the various North underage sides before breaking his leg in about Round 14 or so. Every week he was kicking a bag.

Saw him play Reserves last weekend. Seems like a Scott Welsh type. Undersized but could play as a small Full Forward.

Macca19 said:
Wundke was burning last year. I think he kicked collectively 99 goals in the various North underage sides before breaking his leg in about Round 14 or so. Every week he was kicking a bag.

Saw him play Reserves last weekend. Seems like a Scott Welsh type. Undersized but could play as a small Full Forward.

Don't think he is as dynamic as welsh but a fair comparison. Wundke as i think thunder said is a more traditional full forward. Llyod lockett like. Will work hard on the ground and on the second effort unlike many full forwards

Just like to add that I played school footy last year and we happened to come up against Wundke’s school. I played in the defence, didn't exactly fare too well. He kicked about 8 goals in three quarters. ;) Pretty proud of my effort. :p

LOL Drummond.

Yest observed Port V Glenelg, Sellar got thrashed in ruck by Maric and to a lesser extent Mieklejohn. Maric 28 hitouts Mieklejohn 19, Sellar 5. But Maric is a monster and gives similar threatment to other ruckman in SANFL bar 2 or 3 others. Sellar was ok around the ground, very smart with what he does. 6 kicks 5 handballs 5 marks.

Gibbs was the better of the two, 20 touches 6 tackles and used footy well. Solid game in a losing side. Fluffed it a couple of times but that aside was solid, his vision is brilliant.

having played a lot of footy with caire, so this maybe biased :D , but his progression since his year 11 2nd 18 football days to playing his 2nd league match after only one reserves game and 4 U/19 games has made a lot of people take notice. Height is a worry to some (>180cm) but has a massive leap and his 0-10m speed is as quick as any. Great marking ability and due to junior rugby commitments, has a great goose step and great tackler. Has a lot to offer any club and is only just starting to develop into a super midifelder. Just 18 so watch out for him in the draft if he keeps playing well

Is Gavin Hughes too told to make the under 18's? and another one that must be too old is Vanderloo for Westies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*PAFC*13 said:
Is Gavin Hughes too told to make the under 18's? and another one that must be too old is Vanderloo for Westies?

Yer too old I think but Hughes is worthy of AFL IMO. Great kid, might get in state side, he is in the squad (the SANFL side).

Vanderloo, while very small and slight, should have been playing from round one. Consistently best for west almost every week in ressies. Got a go in league last year and didn't disappoint. But far too small for AFL.

its funny that i hears Tommy Holmes was compared to Shane Crawford because it is his favourite player well was when he went to school down here in the mount. He used to always make jokes in class exactly like crawf would on the footy show. So i reckon he tries to go about and play like Crawford and i reckon he could be a better player than Crawf used to dominate down here for the festas but a good bloke will be a superstar.

SnIcKeRs #3 said:
its funny that i hears Tommy Holmes was compared to Shane Crawford because it is his favourite player well was when he went to school down here in the mount. He used to always make jokes in class exactly like crawf would on the footy show. So i reckon he tries to go about and play like Crawford and i reckon he could be a better player than Crawf used to dominate down here for the festas but a good bloke will be a superstar.

LOL well there you go then. He just stands out. I remember the first time I saw him play for Glenelg u15 dev squad v west in a GF at Footy park 2004, b4 the crows freo game. Think he was #9 and he was 10,000 classes above every other kid on the ground. Then struck me how much he played like Crawford.

hasnt played a single state game and its only the start of the season. to say he will be better than crawford is one of, prob the, stupidest remark about a 17/18 y o. crawford has played over 200games and won many b&f's including a brownlow. remember not long ago brendan goddard and a bit further back clive waterhouse were no 1 draft picks with massive wraps.

Agree that better than Crawford is really reaching... but he has played state footy, Under 16's last year and did well.

Clive did a pretty damn good job at AFL level in his time, injury did not help.

Ha good on the bloke.

Is Fairclough stiff? league footy would have guaranteed state spots I would have thought. There's not much mroe he could do. Even if he is younger.

turbo182 said:
Ha good on the bloke.

Is Fairclough stiff? league footy would have guaranteed state spots I would have thought. There's not much mroe he could do. Even if he is younger.
Fairy is stiff alright, he has come from nowhere really though, i reckon theres better players playing 19s and ressies than him at eagles, but hes only 16 so hes a deadset gun for that age.
Pepe and Vander Haak should note be in it both duds, damien williamson and steve summerton should be in there

Drummond said:
Just like to add that I played school footy last year and we happened to come up against Wundke’s school. I played in the defence, didn't exactly fare too well. He kicked about 8 goals in three quarters. ;) Pretty proud of my effort. :p

Ah brings me back...I played against Nick Holland's school side many years ago. he kicked a lazy 12 in 3 quaters and was then taken of so he could go play with North Adelaide reserves!!! Also remember Ben Hart taken an absolute hanger over one of our players. I swear he stood on his shoulders upright when he took the mark!!!

Thunderstruck said:
LOL well there you go then. He just stands out. I remember the first time I saw him play for Glenelg u15 dev squad v west in a GF at Footy park 2004, b4 the crows freo game. Think he was #9 and he was 10,000 classes above every other kid on the ground. Then struck me how much he played like Crawford.

Yeah i remember that trip he was awesome. i havnt seen him play in a while but i remember when my team had the bye i would always go and watch west play just to see tommy play.

RE To Flying joe:I said he COULDbe a better plyer then crawf i never said he was going to be.

SnIcKeRs #3 said:
Yeah i remember that trip he was awesome. i havnt seen him play in a while but i remember when my team had the bye i would always go and watch west play just to see tommy play.

RE To Flying joe:I said he COULDbe a better plyer then crawf i never said he was going to be.

alot of people COULD be as good as crawford. thats wat separates him and others from the guys running round in sanfl ranks. he can, holmes could. big big difference

turbo182 said:
Ha good on the bloke.

I think he has to play State U16s this year, similar to Bryce Gibbs last year and why he didnt play.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL U-18's Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back