Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it’s a really silly stat.

Here are the top 10 in score involvements since 2012 (when it started being recorded)

2012 - Buddy, S Mitchell, Jobe, Scott Thompson, Jordan Lewis, T Walker, Pavlich, Roughead, Swan, N Riewoldt

2013 - T Cloke, Jobe, GAJ, Swan, S Johnson, Boomer, Pavlich, Buddy, Roughead, N Riewoldt

2014 - Buddy, Gray, Roughead, GAJ, Boomer, Tex, JPK, Selwood, Hawkins, Mitchell

2015 - Kennedy, Roughead, Mitchell, Deledio, Gunston, Tex, LeCras, Shiel, Franklin, Lynch

2016 - Lynch (Adelaide), Buddy, Danger, Greene, Tex, Gray, Pendlebury, Lynch, S Johnson, Kennedy

2017 - Buddy, Dusty, Tex, GAJ, Kennedy, Danger, Zorko, Lynch, Pendlebury, J Cameron

2018 - Dusty, Buddy, Hawkins, Danger, Fyfe, Riewoldt, GAJ, J Cameron, Hogan, Coniglio

2019 - J Cameron, Lynch, Bont, Dusty, Kelly, Danger, Hawkins, Dunkley, Buddy, De Goey

2020 - Hawkins, Petracca, Danger, Dusty, Neale, Lyons, L Ryan, M Duncan, Gunston, Gray

2021 - Petracca, Greene, Tex, Zorko, Parish, Fyfe, Bont, Hawkins, Oliver, Wingard

2022 - Hawkins, Petracca, J Cameron, Tex, Bont, S Bolton, Curnow, Laird, Warner, Merrett

2023 - Petracca, Greene, Tex, J Cameron, Dusty, Bont, Curnow, Coniglio, Miers, Green

Yup, just random blokes tapping the ball forward on the wing. It’s the stat that probably more correlated to AA selection than any other

Please provide me with a break down of whether the player was involved in goals or points and what the statistic was that led to the score. According to you a player involved in 5 points is more valuable than someone who has 12 contested possessions, 10 clearances, 30 possessions at 85% efficiency and 3 goal assists.

Never really torched teams.
A really good player but…
With the exception of a Norm Smith Medal in the 2010 Grand Final Replay, and an 11 possession last quarter in a Grand Final with a 4 point difference.

Would you like me to start referencing the other immense games he's had thus far in his 380 odd game career?

With the exception of a Norm Smith Medal in the 2010 Grand Final Replay, and an 11 possession last quarter in a Grand Final with a 4 point difference.

Would you like me to start referencing the other immense games he's had thus far in his 380 odd game career?
He bounced a ball on a pigeon. That’s pretty bad ass

We have seen the cherry picked statistics of Pendlebury vs Martin. Lets have a look at the statistics where Pendles leads Martin. . Martins stats will also continue to decline as he ages. This is by averages obviously.

Disposals
Pendlebury 25.81
Martin 24.55

Tackles
Pendlebury 4.75
Martin 2.83
Wow didn't realise Martins tackle count was so poor

Rebound from 50
Pendlebury 1.60
Martin 1.19

Clearances
Pendlebury 4.40
Martin 3.91

Contested Possession
Pendlebury 10.44
Martin 9.98

Clangers
Martin 3.91
Pendlebury 2.38
Insane considering Pendlebury has more contested possession, clearances and more disposals.

1 percenters
Pendlebury 1.76
Martin 1.15

Goal assists
Pendlebury 0.75
Martin 0.74
Shock, shock, shock Pendles averages more goal assists.

Handballs
Pendlebury 12.92
Martin 9.20

Hitouts
Pendlebury 0.17
Martin 0.06

Uncontested Possession
Pendlebury 15.27
Martin 14.46

Martin looking like he is not fit to walk in Pendles shadow.

Average coaches votes : Martin 2.78 v Pendles 2.44 (Martin by 14%).

Average Brownlow votes: Martin 0.78 v Pendles 0.63 (Martin by 24%)

Given both of these awards are so heavily weighted towards midfielders where Pendles has played his entire career, it’s surprising Martin would have him covered so comfortably given he spends more time forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hang on.

So Tom Lynch, the Adelaide version, was #1 for score involvements in a given year, and you're trying to use this stat to win an interwebz debate?

Oh my.
It doesn’t support your argument to find one outlier out of the 120 players who have been top 10 for SIs over the last 12 years.

There’s a hell of a lot of Brownlows, MVPs, Coaches awards and AAs in that list

Trying to compare a bloke who has had 4 good seasons to a champion with 15 plus years of excellence is what is laughable.

Yet Martin somehow manages 14% more coaches votes per game and 24% more Brownlow votes per game…. how can that possibly be from 4 good seasons versus 15? Just what games have these umpires and coaches been watching for over a decade?

Yet Martin somehow manages 14% more coaches votes per game and 24% more Brownlow votes per game…. how can that possibly be from 4 good seasons versus 15? Just what games have these umpires and coaches been watching for over a decade?

Are you illiterate? Per game stats have nothing to do with longevity

Are you illiterate? Per game stats have nothing to do with longevity

And Allan Border’s a better batsman than Bradman and Jimmy Anderson is way better than Malcom Marshall … you know, total runs and wickets and longevity and all….

And Sav Rocca is better than John Coleman … by a lot !

And why is Michael Jordan v LeBron James even a debate (that Jordan is winning) …. but but but James has more ‘totals’ of everything….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, that’s ok.

And Allan Border’s a better batsman than Bradman and Jimmy Anderson is way better than Malcom Marshall … you know, total runs and wickets and longevity and all….

And Sav Rocca is better than John Coleman … by a lot !

And why is Michael Jordan v LeBron James even a debate (that Jordan is winning) …. but but but James has more ‘totals’ of everything….

Is being obtuse your schtick?

Average coaches votes : Martin 2.78 v Pendles 2.44 (Martin by 14%).

Average Brownlow votes: Martin 0.78 v Pendles 0.63 (Martin by 24%)

Given both of these awards are so heavily weighted towards midfielders where Pendles has played his entire career, it’s surprising Martin would have him covered so comfortably given he spends more time forward.
Martin 3 years younger.

Let's see how it looks when their careers are over.

Then factor in leadership.

And if Martin finishes his career today, he'll have '14% more coaches votes and 24% more Brownlow votes per game', despite playing 100 less games...

What about top 3 in club best and fairests? Surely given he's Richmond's best ever by that metric, he's ahead of Pendlebury?

Then let's consider leadership.

BTW, why was Martin 'managed' for Richmond's most important game of 2023?

Last edited:
Score involvements rofl

‘Number of scoring chains where a player was involved with either a disposal, hitout-to-advantage, kick-in or knock-on. If a player has two disposals in the same scoring chain, he is credited with one score involvement.’

So it could be a knock onto a player on the wing that 5 disposals later results in a point. Oh my what a stat.
That's what got Tom Hawkins the FF spot in the 2022 AA team, do you think it should've?

Disposals
Pendlebury 25.81 (midfielder)
Martin 24.55 (midfielder/forward)

Disposals this season
Pendlebury (midfielder) 571 (9 goals) in 25 games
Martin (midfielder/forward) 472 (25 goals) in 20 games

So if Dustin Martin (midfielder/forward) played 5 more games this season his averages suggest he'd have more disposals than Pendlebury (midfielder), and more goals because he's a midfielder/forward.

So, imagine you were comparing Pendlebury with other midfielders? You'd find the reason why he's never been the centrepiece of an AA team, always on the interchange, or shunted out to a wing.

Pendlebury is a good player, but it's his longevity, and his consistency, that hold him in good stead. The guy is no difference maker, and if you're honest, you know that.

Man Richmond fans online are truely bottom of the barrel. Not a difference maker? LOL that is the biggest bunch of drivel I’ve ever heard that makes whatever paragraph you type invalid and clearly biased.

Fact is on total career it’s been better objectively than even Bucks and Swan, by a distance now and anything after that is the cherry on top.

Man Richmond fans online are truely bottom of the barrel. Not a difference maker? LOL that is the biggest bunch of drivel I’ve ever heard that makes whatever paragraph you type invalid and clearly biased.

Fact is on total career it’s been better objectively than even Bucks and Swan, by a distance now and anything after that is the cherry on top.
'Pendlebury is not a difference maker, and you know that....'

Despite Pendlebury collecting 11 possessions and using them magnificently in the last quarter of the most recent game he played.

A Grand Final.

Where his team won 4 points.

As a 35 year old.

Just when you thought you'd seen it all on BigFooty, Falcon v13 further lowers the bar.

Not to mention the fact we have to 'imagine' what Martin would have done if he was to play 5 more games this season. Do we need to 'imagine' Martin playing in the do or die round 22 match against St Kilda, for which he was 'managed', and winning the game off his own boot to propel Richmond into finals and an unprecedented run to the 2023 premiership?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back