Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles is a marvelous player, but if you start to talk about him as maybe the club’s best ever (like On the Couch last night) then I think that says more about the club’s scarcity of legends than anything else. That Tony Shaw was the second name they were coming up with speaks volumes. That’s no slight, it speaks well of the Pies perennial culture, but I doubt Pendles would be in the running for best ever at a couple rival clubs.

He’s very good at both but not great. My belief anyway is that to be great you have to be the best in the comp at some point. Having a lot of consistent seasons doesn’t override that, but that’s just me and it’s not just me saying this, it’s a common view.
In all honesty, the best part of Pendles, is that he is consistently very, very good.
He stands up when his team needs him, he leads and makes the team better.
And has done so for many, many years.

Then there is your bloke you rave about.
You know the one, that downhill skier of the highest order, the one that stars only when his team is smacking teams.

I agree with you though, that Pendles and Dusty are different.
One makes his team better when he plays and the other needs his team to be good to make him better.

Even now when Richmond are poor and you have a side full of talentless chumps, good old Dusty cant even get into the top few players.

So I do agree with you that Pendles and Dusty should not be mentioned in the same conversation but not for the reasons you make think.
One has been brilliant for nearly two decades, the other was blessed enough to be in a good team for a couple of years.

Pendles is a marvelous player, but if you start to talk about him as maybe the club’s best ever (like On the Couch last night) then I think that says more about the club’s scarcity of legends than anything else. That Tony Shaw was the second name they were coming up with speaks volumes. That’s no slight, it speaks well of the Pies perennial culture, but I doubt Pendles would be in the running for best ever at a couple rival clubs.
Tony Shaw was mentioned because he has the second most number of games...

I think if you look over our history, you may see that as a club we have gone ok, as in the most successful club in history.

But hey, WC supporters think Jack Darling is a superstar, so I take your opinion with a grain of salt.

Lenny Hayes is the equal of Pendelbury in my mind greats of their clubs but one in a more successful side in and for a longer time.

In all honesty, the best part of Pendles, is that he is consistently very, very good.
He stands up when his team needs him, he leads and makes the team better.
And has done so for many, many years.

Then there is your bloke you rave about.
You know the one, that downhill skier of the highest order, the one that stars only when his team is smacking teams.

I agree with you though, that Pendles and Dusty are different.
One makes his team better when he plays and the other needs his team to be good to make him better.

Even now when Richmond are poor and you have a side full of talentless chumps, good old Dusty cant even get into the top few players.

So I do agree with you that Pendles and Dusty should not be mentioned in the same conversation but not for the reasons you make think.
One has been brilliant for nearly two decades, the other was blessed enough to be in a good team for a couple of years.

Except Dusty got an AA team, AA squad and B&F over 2 seasons Richmond finished 13th. But this thread isn’t about Dusty, leave him out of it.

Let’s concentrate on the guy who looked like he moved in slow motion. Mostly cause he was just in fact slow.

Except Dusty got an AA team, AA squad and B&F over 2 seasons Richmond finished 13th. But this thread isn’t about Dusty, leave him out of it.

Let’s concentrate on the guy who looked like he moved in slow motion. Mostly cause he was just in fact slow.
Or can he in fact bend time.
I think Matrix.

Isn't it weird that someone who apparently is so slow can just weave through situations and not get tackled.

He reminds me of that scene in Over the hedge.

I must say mate, this is even a poor attempt at bringing the great man down, even by your extremely low standards.
I never expect much from you but I always hope for better.

Sam Mitchell, one of the best ball users ever, a midfield genius like Diesel Williams.

5 best and fairests (10 x Top 3) in a talent-stacked team which lived in the top 4 for close to a decade.
4 premierships (captain '08)
Brownlow Medal (3rd most Brownlow votes ever behind Ablett and Danger)
Unlucky not to win 2 Norm Smiths (r/up in 2014, 2015)

Mitchell and Hodge were the driving forces behind the Hawks domination during Clarkson era
Thery were a pair of onfield coaches, leading the way and directing teammates.

All the other players you listed 'looked' better than Mitchell - quicker, better athletes, etc... Sammy was slow as treacle, but he had eyes in the back of his head and was rarely tackled, pivoting with ease off either foot and surgically spearing lace-out passes inside fifty off the left or right foot onto the chest of Buddy, Roughie, Gunston, Breust, Cyril, Poppy, etc.

It mystifies me why Sam Mitchell ALWAYS gets overlooked when people discuss the modern-day greats.
Kinda funny given my avatar but I'd take Mitchell anyday over Hodge if I had to build a team. Is that a bad thing to say? Because I wouldn't think twice, he is way too good, Hodge is the guy you need to turn a great team into a legendary team, but you need the engine and Sammy felt like a perfect player once he learned to deal with a tag.

Odd how the Simon Blacks of the world don't get as much credit given the midfielder obsession. I'd take him over Voss too.

Or can he in fact bend time.
I think Matrix.

Isn't it weird that someone who apparently is so slow can just weave through situations and not get tackled.

He reminds me of that scene in Over the hedge.

I must say mate, this is even a poor attempt at bringing the great man down, even by your extremely low standards.
I never expect much from you but I always hope for better.
No he doesn't have leg speed and he can't bend time.

What he has done and continues to do is read the play before anyone else. He literally predicts where the ball / opponent/ team mates will be before anyone else.

That's what makes him so damaging and gives the illusion of time bending.

Also gives him time for effective disposal.

He's not lightning quick, but has tank.

Certainly he is one of the sharpest minds to ever grace a football field.

He ain't a burst Bont or Danger, he ain't a GAJ, he ain't a Franklin or Carey, he ain't a Hird or Voss / Buckley.

He's different to any other player because of his unique attributes, he's Pendles and there probably won't be another like him.

You’ll find most supporters “beliefs” happen to coincide with their clubs strengths and weaknesses. It’s pretty normal and subconsciously deliberate.

Collingwood/Geelong supporters value consistency, they often lose a lot of big finals but always around the mark. Love AA awards because their best players have been consistent. Some of their best players never won flags so premierships don’t really matter to them when comparing players.

Hawks/Richmond, strike when the iron is hot and drop really low when not contending. We don’t rate AA awards much as we won dynasties with role players nobody rates and relied to team systems rather than sheer talent. Both our clubs value finals highly because we have some of the best finals players to play the game. We are usually in the minority because of this and we both believe flags matter when comparing players.
Haha Richmond are nothing like Hawthorn. One has arguably been the dominant force of the AFL era (certainly of the past 40 odd years). Richmond have bobbed up and been relevant for a singular 4 year period, then a laughing stock for the rest.

Bringing it back to Pendlebury, of course his consistency is a big selling point. He didn't just bob up for a few years, he was a champion player over 10+ years. That IS what the best do. Carey, the Ablett's, Matthews, Lockett, Williams, Franklin etc.

What he has done and continues to do is read the play before anyone else. He literally predicts where the ball / opponent/ team mates will be before anyone else.

He ain't a burst Bont or Danger, he ain't a GAJ, he ain't a Franklin or Carey, he ain't a Hird or Voss / Buckley.

He's different to any other player because of his unique attributes, he's Pendles and there probably won't be another like him.
hird shared many of these attributes.
both excellent at reading the play, high football IQ, great disposal, adaptability, on-field leadership, high-performing longevity etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha Richmond are nothing like Hawthorn. One has arguably been the dominant force of the AFL era (certainly of the past 40 odd years). Richmond have bobbed up and been relevant for a singular 4 year period, then a laughing stock for the rest.

Bringing it back to Pendlebury, of course his consistency is a big selling point. He didn't just bob up for a few years, he was a champion player over 10+ years. That IS what the best do. Carey, the Ablett's, Matthews, Lockett, Williams, Franklin etc.

13 flags each, both have afl dynasties, both have great finals players like Dusty, Hodge and Lethal, both came up with revolutionary systems. Seems similar to me.

He was consistent, but at what level. Aren’t essentially all his AA selections on the bench? That’s what I heard anyway. Pretty much all 50/50 selections went his way, like Geelong players.

13 flags each, both have afl dynasties, both have great finals players like Dusty, Hodge and Lethal, both came up with revolutionary systems. Seems similar to me.

He was consistent, but at what level. Aren’t essentially all his AA selections on the bench? That’s what I heard anyway. Pretty much all 50/50 selections went his way, like Geelong players.

Consistent at what level? Well for midfielders I'd say coaches votes (much better than Brownlow for reasons I've stated before) and B&F placements are very relevant.

Pendles has 5 BnFs and many other top 3 placements in mostly strong sides throughout his career.

Coaches votes wise he is on 900. An insanely high number. 9 seasons of 60+ votes. A few others in the 40s.

He finished 12th, 7th, 9th, 1st, 5th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 14th, 13th on the coaches votes leaderboard over an 11 year period (2010-2020). Out of nearly 400 regular players each season. So that's putting him on average in the top few % of players in the comp for over a decade. Not just in the top 10%. Closer to the top 2%. If you think that defines him as only a good player who was never really great, good for you.

Last edited:
Consistent at what level? Well for midfielders I'd say coaches votes (much better than Brownlow for reasons I've stated before) and B&F placements are very relevant.

Pendles has 5 BnFs and many other top 3 placements in mostly strong sides throughout his career.

Coaches votes wise he is on 900. An insanely high number. 9 seasons of 60+ votes. A few others in the 40s.

He finished 12th, 7th, 9th, 1st, 5th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 14th, 13th on the coaches votes leaderboard over an 11 year period (2010-2020). Out of nearly 400 regular players each season. So that's putting him on average in the top few % of players in the comp for over a decade. Not just in the top 10%. Closer to the top 2%. If you think that defines him as only a good player who was never really great, good for you.

Rank his consistency this century

Rank his peak this century (single best season)

Against other players since 2000. I think you’ll find the variance is massive.

If you were playing a GF would you want the peak player or consistent player? This is why I don’t rate Pendles as much as some others on here. I can’t think of a reason why I’d want him in my 22 over somebody else who is better at their best. That’s how I judge how great players are.

Last edited:
I don’t generally comment on others ratings of players, but this one is off the mark. I think if you asked Lenny he’d be blushing being mentioned with Pendles.
7 times top 3 best and fairest in a great era of his club smart not overly quick very nice hands and a general on the field.

If you were playing a GF would you want the peak player or consistent player? This is why I don’t rate Pendles as much as some others on here. I can’t think of a reason why I’d want him in my 22 over somebody else who is better at their best. That’s how I judge how great players are.
I already just did some analysis, reasoning and conclusions which is a level above whatever....this is that you have done here.

In my view, the last player to read the play as well as Pendles was Diesel.

Regards

S. Pete

If I had to pick between Dusty and Pendles and the objective was to pick someone most likely to get the team to finish top 4 - I’d go Pendles.

If I had to pick a player most likely to see the team win on grand final day - I’d go Dusty.

Regards

S. Pete

It is a bit hard to rate Pendles single best season.

2011 through 2014 was his real peak.
When he avg 30 disposals, 5+ tackles and 5+ clearances per game per season. Would get 20+ brownlow votes and high 70+ coaches votes during that time.

For the stats nerds, Pendles was 120+ for super coach for 4 consecutive years and dropped a peak player rating year of 19.9....for comparison 2017 was the only season where Dusty had a super coach avg of 120 and player rating above 17, the Bont has also only had one season above 120 and yet to get a player rating higher than 18.

But for Pendles best single season, was it 2011 when he was runner up in AFL MVP? Or 2013 when he was AFL coaches award champion? Or 2014 when he had his 19.9 player rating year?

Or was it 2010, where he was 4th in the brownlow and also jagged norm smith medal?

Pendles was acknowledged as best handful of players in the game for a 5 year period, and his individual best games stack up with anybody

33 disposals, 10 tackles, 11 score involvements, 11 inside 50s, 9 clearances, 760 mtr gained, 20 pressure acts, supercoach 182 and player rating of 33.5 for a single game in 2014

Some fools cant remember peak Pendlebury from 10-15 years ago, so instead use his recent seasons when in his 30s when he is probably producing 70% of what he did at his peak, still a great player.

14 top 3 finishes in Pies best and fairest, 10 All Australian squads, will end up with 3rd most brownlow votes ever, the most disposals ever.

His peak was just as good as the likes of Bont, Fyfe, Mitchell etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back