Analysis Scott Thompson farewell match

Should Scotty get a last game in front of his adoring fans, the coaches box

• F me no

Votes: 45 93.8%
  • One last chance to see him jogging after an opponent, yes please

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were assured of top spot heading into the Sydney game then I'd think about it, or if we were out of the running for finals at that stage then I'd do it.

But the first is only slightly possible and the latter isn't really at all.

So no. Should have been last season but we were too weak to make the call. It's unfortunate it ended the way it did but both parties need to wear some blame for that.

Firstly, I'll address why I have chosen " analysis" given I am potentially the least deepest thinker on this forum. It had "anal" in it and I thought "LOL" so I went with that.

Anyways, given we are three losses away from dropping out of the top 2 from this point of the season, the chance is there for our team to give Scott Thompson one more farewell match. I am pretty sure that Kiss have had less farewell tours than Scotty T has had potential farewell matches but being as that is, we could be in a position to afford it.

Personally, I am against farewell matches but you know, it isn't like I'll stand with my back to the screen in protest if he does get a match. If we win the next three matches, we'd be in a position to say to Scotty, " mate you've gone on at least a season and a half too long but no matter, how about pulling on the guernsey, lacing up the boots and proving the game has gone by you one last time".

I guess in the grand scheme of things it matters little if we come first or second, the benefits are the same so it wouldn't fuss me if it cost us top spot but I'd like to think we had second sewn up before we went out on our last home and away game at Adelaide oval this year with a bit of romance.

I guess the point is, are you for or against it?

Love the guy but no, he had the chance to go out last season or even put his hand up at end of his match this season and get a chair off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry.. the answer is NO. we cant afford to. we are in the best position in 12 years to challenge for a flag. time to be ruthless

Pretty much what everyone else has been saying.

Had his chance last year to make an unselfish call and get his "farewell game". Blind Freddy could see he wasn't going to be best 22 this year. Absolutely does not deserve another game. Give him a lap of the oval in Round 22 or our home final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i love thommo, if he wanted to we would

but if he gets another game in the seniors, i will go balistic. he should have retired last year or the year before

I said it when he played his one game this year. That should have been his farewell game. He should have been chaired off and done the crowd wave then.

It must have been clear to everyone including him, that his performance was so far off, he simply cant play at the level any more.

Absolutely should be given a send off at our last home game though. He's been an absolute champion of our club and deserves everyone's respect for his career and service to the club.

It's time to prove that we are ruthless and focused 100% on delivering the ultimate success for the first time in 20 years. With a tough draw that means no time for sentiment for one player. After all isn't it team first and not about the individual? If we were out of the finals race I'd be all for it as that gives supporters something to come enjoy in otherwise meaningless matches but fact is we are contending and you never know what the future brings so seize the moment. There's plenty of ways the club can honour a guy like Thommo who busted his ass for the team for years.

I find a token game disrespectful to a great career.

However if Matt Crouch needs a rest for round 22 against the Swans he is playing his role.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why the **** would you rest Matt Crouch against Sydney of all teams!?

I read that as a get matt crouch ready for Sydney. It's our most important match of the 5 seeing we can stamp our credentials against a contender (the rest aren't).

Mind you, I'd only do that if he picks up a knock.

If we have top spot stitched up.
Even then why would he be rested with a bye into Finals.

We have two home games left. The Showdown is very much a live game.

Reality is Thommo should not play AFL again unless MCrouch is injured. Even then I am unsure he is up to it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He missed his only opportunity for a farewell game against Geelong at home. We could have played him with the sole purpose of nailing one or both of Dangerfield or Selwood with a huge hit, copped a suspension and then retired a club legend.

I'm not against it on principle plus it could benefit a player who needs a breather. But that game should be invested into a younger player in my opinion. They missed the opportunity when they rested Greenwood but I doubt the obvious poor performance was obvious to the people that matter. His career doesn't deserve to finish as a SANFL player after a 10 touch abysmal showing. But he wanted to go around again and is finishing up in a manner that looked a foregone conclusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Scott Thompson farewell match

Back