Autopsy Season 2024 - end of season gradings

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
I thought it might be cathartic to grade the players - some kind of closure. To an extent it was - right until I got to Brodie :mad::mad::mad:

Have at it...

PlayerGamesGradeComment
Serong23A+Barring a few missed shots on the run (sadly including a couple yesterday), his season has been exceptional. Not getting 20 disposals yesterday made me almost as sad as missing out on the eight.
Clark23A-Really good season, love his mongrel, moved down from an A because he just sometimes has a brain fade (like the 50m penalty yesterday)
Brayshaw23B+Tale of two halves, since the bye he's been exceptional, but like 2023 he started the season really slowly.
Jackson23C+Great first two months to the season playing solo in the ruck, but has rarely won a ruck duel since and just needs to impact more in the forward half.
Ryan23B-Some very solid games, but not playing to the level he did when he got his AA jacket - and he is one of the biggest culprits of slowing us down. Love him, but he's had much better seasons.
Sharp23B-An upgrade on Acres, can't believe the Suns let him go, but he's clearly run out of steam in the last six weeks - which means his decision making has been suspect. Great pick up and will hold down that wing role for years to come.
Young23A+The game changer. Hard to believe he's only now had 25 games in the midfield. Has the potential to win a Brownlow for mine.
O'Meara22C+Will get lumped in with Fyfe and Walters in the 'retire now' narrative, but if JOM is around the 17th-20th best player on the list for the next couple of years then that's OK with me. Better in the back half of the year and deserves to go around again.
Fyfe22EThis one hurts, because you can see the mind is still there but the body just isn't. I think he's done. Docked half a grade for the momentum killer yesterday when he casueed the reversed free kick.
Amiss22C+Maybe a harsh mark, but we know he is better than he's performed this year. Had more shots on goal than last year, but his set shot kicking has gone from dead eye to a liability. His miss just before 3/4 time against the Giants sucked the life out of our momentum - and that's not the only time that's happened this year. Must do better.
Banfield22FYes, he has some games and some moments that make you rethink if he should be in the team. But as sure as night follows day he will eventually revert to his normal self and will cost 2-3 games. His brain fade against the Giants should see him banished to Peel for the rest of his contract (but we know that won't happen).
Frederick21C-When he touches the ball good things happen. Just doesn't touch the ball enough. Plus, for someone of his speed I can't understand why he has so few tackles.
Aish20CHas clearly done something to see him on the outer. Not sure what that is because he's been generally servicable and I thought had some good games in the back six. Never going to be a world beater - but then he's played out a career of being the 16th/17th best player on the list, and I still think that's where he sits.
Treacy20A+Just pips Serong for player of the year for me. Not much more to say then chef's kiss. Love him to bits and so glad he's ours.
Draper20B+Breakout player of the year. Didn't see that coming, but despite the disappointment of the year, he is one young man who can walk tall. Well done fella.
Switkowski20C+A difficult one for me because he's been my favourite Docker for the last 5-6 years. Rumours he is off back to Vic make me sad, but objectively he is not the creative small forward we need to take us to a flag. Hope he stays and we bring in Bolton to take that load of Switta and let him do what he does best.
Walker19B-Seems to kop a huge amount of hate on here, but he is always on the oppo's best small forward and I think he generally does OK. Will always have some pasages of play where he looks second rate because he is on the most talented opponent. Adding more going forward too. I like him and think he's had a decent year.
Johnson19EI really want to see what Jlo sees in him, I really do - but I just don't as yet. Clearly not an outside player despite us playing him on the outside constantly. Maybe he will come good when moved into the middle to replace Fyfe - but I can't see why he gets 19 games and Ras just gets a couple. Has a lot to prove.
Walters17E+Same comment as Fyfe. The body can't cash the cheques his brain are cashing. Legend of the club but he's lost the fight with father time. Needs to bow out now and not sully his reputation any further.
Chapman16CDoes lots of good stuff and was a breath of fresh air when he came in for Hughes…but, has also had games where he's a complete liability. I'm backing him to come good, but he needs to cut out the crap stuff to avoid becoming the next scape goat.
Pearce15A+Along with Sebba, Young and Treacy our skipper has been exceptional - just a damn shame we decided to rush him back from injury. Will never get the plaudits he deserves and needs to run out a whole season - but I would bet my house we would have made top four if he'd stayed fit.
Sturt13B-It's quite a simple take. We need to sign him up for another 3-4 years and the coach needs to back him in. Will score 30 goals a season if he plays 20+ games.
Emmett13D+I had a high hopes for him after his cameos at the end of last season - but his poor skills and generally footy nous were really exposed at times. I still think he can come good and I like him - but he needs to clean up his game, keep it simple and play to his strengths.
Darcy12DI genuinely thought the new ruck rules would see him win an AA jacket this year. But then he got injured again and when he came back I don't think I saw him jump off the ground once. Needs to lose 10kg, get himself fit and re-learn how to jump. We've gone all in on him and right now that looks like a huge mistake. It's up to him.
Wagner12C+I quite liked what he brought to the team and I'm happy he's in our best 22. Will never be more than serviceable, but I think he's proven he belongs in the AFL and that makes me happy.
Cox9D-Hasn't looked fit at all. Needs a decent off season because he could be one of the best intercept markers in the game. His game against the Giants was the most abject performance of the year by any Docker. Now in his prime, but I suspect most of this is in his head.
Voss7CNeeds to spend 3 hours a day, 7 days a week for the next 6 months locking in a set shot routine because he has all the other attributes to be a good AFL player. Will probably always play second fiddle to Treacy - but we can't have a tall forward who's set shot kicking is so poor.
Hughes6FEthan Hughes played six games being Ethan Hughes…and then someone put him out of his misery.
Tabermer5FI honestly can't remember Tabs playing five games - to the point I'm questioning the accuracy of the data table I used. Surely he's played his last game for us. Farewell Tabs - it's been a journey.
Worner4ELooks like what he is - a good WAFL player.
Erasmus4EIn the context of Johnson getting 19 games then Ras has been treated harshly - but then when he came in he didn't really impact much. I hate to say it, but a trade to West Coast and then years of us regretting that trade appears the most likely turn of events.
Davies2DCame in, showed some glimpses of good footy, showed some glimpses of terrible footy. Clearly fallen behind Draper, but he's a second year KPD so I'm not going to rush to any judgements.
Simpson2DLike a lot of people I thought he was going to get 10 games and be a beacon of hope. Did some nice things when he played and we all know he has a bright future.
O'Driscoll2C-Right Noddy - time to get serious. Do you want to be an AFL footballer? Because we all know there's a damn fine player in there - so knuckle down, complete a good pre-season and show us what you can do. The last two weeks should have saved you from being de-listed but we all know there's a best 18 player in there - the balls in your court.
Reidy2CDid enough in two weeks (plus some stellar WAFL form) to show he will be on the ruck merry go round for the next 8-10 years. Just as likely to crop up in 7-8 years and have a good run of games at his fourth club as he is to play 20 games for the Dockers.
McDonald1DHard to grade someone who had such a bad injury part way through their first game. Hope the recovery goes well but the emergence of Draper has dropped him down the pecking order.
Brodie0WTFNot going to cover every player who didn't pull on the purple this year - but have to just ask what the hell is going on here. How can the player who had such a big hand in our return to finals in 2022 and who was setting record numbers in the WAFL end up with 0 (zero!!) games. The fans deserve some explanation because Brodie for Fyfe in the last month would have surely have seen us get over the line in one game.
LongmuirN/AC-We've objectively improved over last season - but dropping from 3rd to 10th in the last four weeks is just rotten - and the buck always has to stop somewhere. I'm on the fence about his future. If he goes around then I'm not going to go full Port/Hinkley on him and the club, but equally if the club decided to exit him during the off season then I wouldn't lose any tears. My expectation for this year was to make finals - we just missed out, but we showed enough for my expectation for next year to be top four. I just don't know if he has enough in his locker to coach a top four side.

Banfield had probably his best season for us ever so doesn't deserves an F and also Fyfe is better than an E. Also Johnson has a long way to go but is not the same category as Worner.
I guess this is all about opinions and there is no doubt the grades take into account expectations.

I don't expect much of Worner, I expect a lot more from Johnson - so sure it's relative, but Johnson hasn't had a single game that's demonstrated he's ready to lock down a best 22 spot. I'd even go as far to say he's been gifted games this season.

And sorry, he's a champion of the club, but other than one good game (was it Bulldogs??) Fyfe has been anonymous.

Banfield deserves an F - I'm happy to die on that hill - and also acknowledge that all of this is subjective and coloured by my general feelings about a player.

Last edited:
A lot of effort there to pop Banfield, his game against GWS was an F, his last 6-8 games were a D but his first half of the season was C+\B- levels.
His game against GWS defied grading - and whilst he had some OK-ish games in the first half of the season he never got close to a B-

I thought Raz did impact when he came in to the main team for that game. The mistake was having him replace Fyfe. They have a big body in there with Serong and Brayshaw for a reason.

Pretty fair grades I thought. Banners…I admire his effort, but watching games live I was nervous when he got the ball. Didn’t take the first or best options, highly likely to mess up if a decision other than “snap at goal” needs to be made. Has the tools but just lacks that decision-making

Haha this report 😂🤣 ..even Laidleys weekly is more accurate...Seems you just want to express your own biases rather than just about being subjective based on trying to rate real performance

Brodie should get an F as he wasn't good enough to make it into the team 😉 lol

Last edited:
Banners as an F is crazy. His first half of the season was really good. No point in doing ratings with a heavy recency bias. His second half probably brings him down to a C/C-.

I thought it might be cathartic to grade the players - some kind of closure. To an extent it was - right until I got to Brodie :mad::mad::mad:

Have at it...

PlayerGamesGradeComment
Serong23A+Barring a few missed shots on the run (sadly including a couple yesterday), his season has been exceptional. Not getting 20 disposals yesterday made me almost as sad as missing out on the eight.
Clark23A-Really good season, love his mongrel, moved down from an A because he just sometimes has a brain fade (like the 50m penalty yesterday)
Brayshaw23B+Tale of two halves, since the bye he's been exceptional, but like 2023 he started the season really slowly.
Jackson23C+Great first two months to the season playing solo in the ruck, but has rarely won a ruck duel since and just needs to impact more in the forward half.
Ryan23B-Some very solid games, but not playing to the level he did when he got his AA jacket - and he is one of the biggest culprits of slowing us down. Love him, but he's had much better seasons.
Sharp23B-An upgrade on Acres, can't believe the Suns let him go, but he's clearly run out of steam in the last six weeks - which means his decision making has been suspect. Great pick up and will hold down that wing role for years to come.
Young23A+The game changer. Hard to believe he's only now had 25 games in the midfield. Has the potential to win a Brownlow for mine.
O'Meara22C+Will get lumped in with Fyfe and Walters in the 'retire now' narrative, but if JOM is around the 17th-20th best player on the list for the next couple of years then that's OK with me. Better in the back half of the year and deserves to go around again.
Fyfe22EThis one hurts, because you can see the mind is still there but the body just isn't. I think he's done. Docked half a grade for the momentum killer yesterday when he casueed the reversed free kick.
Amiss22C+Maybe a harsh mark, but we know he is better than he's performed this year. Had more shots on goal than last year, but his set shot kicking has gone from dead eye to a liability. His miss just before 3/4 time against the Giants sucked the life out of our momentum - and that's not the only time that's happened this year. Must do better.
Banfield22FYes, he has some games and some moments that make you rethink if he should be in the team. But as sure as night follows day he will eventually revert to his normal self and will cost 2-3 games. His brain fade against the Giants should see him banished to Peel for the rest of his contract (but we know that won't happen).
Frederick21C-When he touches the ball good things happen. Just doesn't touch the ball enough. Plus, for someone of his speed I can't understand why he has so few tackles.
Aish20CHas clearly done something to see him on the outer. Not sure what that is because he's been generally servicable and I thought had some good games in the back six. Never going to be a world beater - but then he's played out a career of being the 16th/17th best player on the list, and I still think that's where he sits.
Treacy20A+Just pips Serong for player of the year for me. Not much more to say then chef's kiss. Love him to bits and so glad he's ours.
Draper20B+Breakout player of the year. Didn't see that coming, but despite the disappointment of the year, he is one young man who can walk tall. Well done fella.
Switkowski20C+A difficult one for me because he's been my favourite Docker for the last 5-6 years. Rumours he is off back to Vic make me sad, but objectively he is not the creative small forward we need to take us to a flag. Hope he stays and we bring in Bolton to take that load of Switta and let him do what he does best.
Walker19B-Seems to kop a huge amount of hate on here, but he is always on the oppo's best small forward and I think he generally does OK. Will always have some pasages of play where he looks second rate because he is on the most talented opponent. Adding more going forward too. I like him and think he's had a decent year.
Johnson19EI really want to see what Jlo sees in him, I really do - but I just don't as yet. Clearly not an outside player despite us playing him on the outside constantly. Maybe he will come good when moved into the middle to replace Fyfe - but I can't see why he gets 19 games and Ras just gets a couple. Has a lot to prove.
Walters17E+Same comment as Fyfe. The body can't cash the cheques his brain are cashing. Legend of the club but he's lost the fight with father time. Needs to bow out now and not sully his reputation any further.
Chapman16CDoes lots of good stuff and was a breath of fresh air when he came in for Hughes…but, has also had games where he's a complete liability. I'm backing him to come good, but he needs to cut out the crap stuff to avoid becoming the next scape goat.
Pearce15A+Along with Sebba, Young and Treacy our skipper has been exceptional - just a damn shame we decided to rush him back from injury. Will never get the plaudits he deserves and needs to run out a whole season - but I would bet my house we would have made top four if he'd stayed fit.
Sturt13B-It's quite a simple take. We need to sign him up for another 3-4 years and the coach needs to back him in. Will score 30 goals a season if he plays 20+ games.
Emmett13D+I had a high hopes for him after his cameos at the end of last season - but his poor skills and generally footy nous were really exposed at times. I still think he can come good and I like him - but he needs to clean up his game, keep it simple and play to his strengths.
Darcy12DI genuinely thought the new ruck rules would see him win an AA jacket this year. But then he got injured again and when he came back I don't think I saw him jump off the ground once. Needs to lose 10kg, get himself fit and re-learn how to jump. We've gone all in on him and right now that looks like a huge mistake. It's up to him.
Wagner12C+I quite liked what he brought to the team and I'm happy he's in our best 22. Will never be more than serviceable, but I think he's proven he belongs in the AFL and that makes me happy.
Cox9D-Hasn't looked fit at all. Needs a decent off season because he could be one of the best intercept markers in the game. His game against the Giants was the most abject performance of the year by any Docker. Now in his prime, but I suspect most of this is in his head.
Voss7CNeeds to spend 3 hours a day, 7 days a week for the next 6 months locking in a set shot routine because he has all the other attributes to be a good AFL player. Will probably always play second fiddle to Treacy - but we can't have a tall forward who's set shot kicking is so poor.
Hughes6FEthan Hughes played six games being Ethan Hughes…and then someone put him out of his misery.
Tabermer5FI honestly can't remember Tabs playing five games - to the point I'm questioning the accuracy of the data table I used. Surely he's played his last game for us. Farewell Tabs - it's been a journey.
Worner4ELooks like what he is - a good WAFL player.
Erasmus4EIn the context of Johnson getting 19 games then Ras has been treated harshly - but then when he came in he didn't really impact much. I hate to say it, but a trade to West Coast and then years of us regretting that trade appears the most likely turn of events.
Davies2DCame in, showed some glimpses of good footy, showed some glimpses of terrible footy. Clearly fallen behind Draper, but he's a second year KPD so I'm not going to rush to any judgements.
Simpson2DLike a lot of people I thought he was going to get 10 games and be a beacon of hope. Did some nice things when he played and we all know he has a bright future.
O'Driscoll2C-Right Noddy - time to get serious. Do you want to be an AFL footballer? Because we all know there's a damn fine player in there - so knuckle down, complete a good pre-season and show us what you can do. The last two weeks should have saved you from being de-listed but we all know there's a best 18 player in there - the balls in your court.
Reidy2CDid enough in two weeks (plus some stellar WAFL form) to show he will be on the ruck merry go round for the next 8-10 years. Just as likely to crop up in 7-8 years and have a good run of games at his fourth club as he is to play 20 games for the Dockers.
McDonald1DHard to grade someone who had such a bad injury part way through their first game. Hope the recovery goes well but the emergence of Draper has dropped him down the pecking order.
Brodie0WTFNot going to cover every player who didn't pull on the purple this year - but have to just ask what the hell is going on here. How can the player who had such a big hand in our return to finals in 2022 and who was setting record numbers in the WAFL end up with 0 (zero!!) games. The fans deserve some explanation because Brodie for Fyfe in the last month would have surely have seen us get over the line in one game.
LongmuirN/AC-We've objectively improved over last season - but dropping from 3rd to 10th in the last four weeks is just rotten - and the buck always has to stop somewhere. I'm on the fence about his future. If he goes around then I'm not going to go full Port/Hinkley on him and the club, but equally if the club decided to exit him during the off season then I wouldn't lose any tears. My expectation for this year was to make finals - we just missed out, but we showed enough for my expectation for next year to be top four. I just don't know if he has enough in his locker to coach a top four side.
Thanks for all your work and getting the discussion going. In the main I agree with you.

My biggest disappointment for the year is Jackson from the POV of reasonable expectations vs delivery. He wasn't significantly injured. Let's hope he improves a lot - he was supposed to tear the competition apart - heaps of people said that pre-season.

I'd give Fyfe a C. He will only get worse next year. Sad.

Cox and Darcy had major long term injuries and we need to cut them some slack.

It's a shame but Freddy looks unlikely to deliver on his potential - this was the year he should have got consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banners has morphed back into a hack.
Fyfe is too old.
This years sandover medalist Will Brodie should have played this year and we would be playing next week.
Fair gradings.

I dispensed with the plus minus and just grouped under letter grades.
PlayerGamesGrade
Serong23A
Clark23A
Brayshaw23A
Jackson23C
Ryan23A
Sharp23B
Young23A
O'Meara22C
Fyfe22C/D
Amiss22B
Banfield22C
Frederick21C
Aish20C
Treacy20A
Draper20B
Switkowski20C
Walker19B
Johnson19C
Walters17D
Chapman16C/B
Pearce15A
Sturt13B
Emmett13D
Darcy12C
Wagner12B
Cox9D
Voss7D
Hughes6F
Taberner5F
Worner4F
Erasmus4D
Davies2D
Simpson2D
O'Driscoll2C
Reidy2D
McDonald1D
Brodie0Unranked
LongmuirN/AC

I guess this is all about opinions and there is no doubt the grades take into account expectations.

I don't expect much of Worner, I expect a lot more from Johnson - so sure it's relative, but Johnson hasn't had a single game that's demonstrated he's ready to lock down a best 22 spot. I'd even go as far to say he's been gifted games this season.

And sorry, he's a champion of the club, but other than one good game (was it Bulldogs??) Fyfe has been anonymous.

Banfield deserves an F - I'm happy to die on that hill - and also acknowledge that all of this is subjective and coloured by my general feelings about a player.
I get that it's subjective. Can't agree with Fyfe and Banfield at all. Both C's for me. Fyfe had more than one good game. Off the top of my head there was the WB game, Carlton loss and first derby loss where he would've been in our best players. I'm sure there were others but I cbf looking it up. So to rank his season the same as Erasmus and Worner and worse than Simpson, Davies, McDonald, Walters etc doesn't make sense to me.

I think to do grading of players you need t odefine what we grading them against

Eg.
1. How much they entertained the FANS?
2. How many possessions they had?
3. How many effective possessions they had?
4. How many tackles they had?
5. How many free kicks they gave away?
6. How many meters gained?
7. How many goals they kicked?
8. How many Goal assists?
9. How many Brownlow votes they got from UMPIRES?
10. How many Coaches Association voted they got?
11. How many Players association votes they got?
12. All Australian Selection?
13. Club best and fairest vote?
14. and this one is partly related to #13, How well did they do the COACHES ROLE for them

For sheer entertainment i grade as follows. For all the other categories i leave it to others.

PlayerGamesGradeComment
Serong23BImproving every year but needs to kick more goals to entertain me
Clark23BLove his runs from the back line and kicked a few too, he needs to keep his comments that wre within umpires ear range a positve
Brayshaw23BAlways around the ball and that is exciting to see
Jackson23DNot enough marks and not enough goal
Ryan23AExcellent guidance of the younger players
Sharp23AGreat wing player, always looking to run the ball
Young23AGreat move forward and onball
O'Meara22BGreat on field leadership
Fyfe22BUsage of his body strength and on field leadership
Amiss22DNot a good year now that he is targeted
Banfield22BMR Versatile. always going where the coach asks
Frederick21BSo much running and creating options.
Aish20CA middle of the road player
Treacy20AA most entertaining player .
Draper20Cjsut a young fellow
Switkowski20AA star. always running and trying
Walker19BAnother player improving over the year. creates options
Johnson19AGreat efforts his skill will improve.
Walters17CSadly he is getting old but he had some good moments too.
Chapman16CDidnt sdee a lot to get excited about
Pearce15AWhen he plays Freo looks better.
Sturt13CHas his good games and bad ones . he will improve.
Emmett13DI dont recall anything about him.
Darcy12AWhen fit he is excitng . i wont lower his ratings due to games not played or PEars would also need to be lowered .
Wagner12CAverage performance
Cox9CAverage player
Voss7DDropped too many marks
Hughes6DDont recall any games
Tabermer5FYes sadly Tabs must go
Worner4DDont recall any games
Erasmus4DDont recall any games
Davies2DDont recall any games
Simpson2DDont recall any games
O'Driscoll2BWhen he plays he plsys well
Reidy2BOne good game. one not so good. but i prefer him in ruck than JAckson
McDonald1DDont recall any games
Brodie0FEasy to dominate at WAFL. Look at Reidy.
LongmuirN/ABDoing ok with such a young team. some end of season mistakes

A lot have been asking about Brody all year, why is he now playing etc.
From what I have seen of him and it is mostly from his first years 2022. he to me has a glaring problem.He has become a stoppage player where his hands will work for hi. Very quick to get it outside. But he seldom has any influence in general play. He is a stoppage player.A ball chaser in general play.
Only my opinion.

No Idea how you guys rate Walker higher than Jackson, And not counting Walkers Goal assists for the opposition,Jackson was rated higher in all but 4 games for the year on the AFL site compared to Walker .I seen Walker play a few good games but i really think he's over rated on here.Jackson wasn't that bad this year without dominating but had different roles when Darcy never came up to scratch.

No Idea how you guys rate Walker higher than Jackson, And not counting Walkers Goal assists for the opposition,Jackson was rated higher in all but 4 games for the year on the AFL site compared to Walker .I seen Walker play a few good games but i really think he's over rated on here.Jackson wasn't that bad this year without dominating but had different roles when Darcy never came up to scratch.
Walker played like one bad game all season. He’s been severely underrated by so many people. He had a great year for us and had a much better impact than Jackson who turned to shit when we needed Him to stand up most

A lot have been asking about Brody all year, why is he now playing etc.
From what I have seen of him and it is mostly from his first years 2022. he to me has a glaring problem.He has become a stoppage player where his hands will work for hi. Very quick to get it outside. But he seldom has any influence in general play. He is a stoppage player.A ball chaser in general play.
Only my opinion.
This may well be true. However, that's exactly what we need. If we have a rolled-gold extractor (and tackler around the stoppage) who gets it out to Young/Serong/Brayshaw cleanly, that's half the battle. He's also really good at gumming up stoppage for the opposition, which would be handy when we're trying to kill games.

I'm not saying he should play (may be better to get games into MJ and perhaps Ras) but he offers something that, although situational, could be incredibly useful. I'd argue if we switch to a 5-man bench, he wouldn't be a bad option, especially against a slower midfield like Carlton.

Got to trust the Coach & selectors I guess, but I'm surprised he's made no appearances this year.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Season 2024 - end of season gradings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back