Review Season 2024 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean JL said it in his presser. Last year our problem was inconsistency and the gap between our best and our worst was too large.

We went to work to fix it and we absolutely did. One of the most consistent seasons in a while. After the dogs game there wasn’t a single game where we weren’t in it right until the end. First derby and dogs games were the only two games we played like complete shit.

We fixed our glaring issue last year, so I have confidence we’ll fix this issue next year.

Fitness of key players is a key metrics of success, see Carlton dropping out of the top 4 as well.

Add Pearce, Darcy and Treacy back in for those last 4 games and would suggest we would finish 4th or 5th.

How to improve?

Unfortunately I saw Fyfe as a liability for most of the year, time to move on.

Find a small forward, love Walters service to the club but also time to move on.

Need a midfield bull who can negate a Cripps type in the centre.

This is shooting from the hip, but I think the injuries (league wide) are making way more difference this year than most others.

The top ~12 or so were so close, and basically everyone outside of the bottom 3 can beat anyone. The margins are thin as it is so losing 6-8 players (Carlton) or 3/5 of your spine (us) is actually a massive deal. It takes you from a marginal top 4 team to an also ran.

Normally if you're top 3 in round 20, your ~4 games clear of 9th and probably a fair bit better than them. You can buffer the loss of a handful of key players, at least in the short term. No such gap this year in wins or ability and neither team could cope with those losses.

Admittedly I think our biggest problem is the lack of intensity and composure in close games, but the odds are with even 2/3 playing we pinch one of those games.

Treacy, Brayshaw, and Serong will never die wondering. They all want it. The question is if they have the teammates who will come along for the ride and put it on the field with them.

I thought I liked the clarity that comes with each player knowing their role and the predictability that brings. The players clearly have the KPIs for each role that we don’t know about they must be meeting to keep getting selected even if on the surface they appear to be underperforming.

What worries me moving forward is the rigidity of the roles and expectations for each one also removes the onus for players to go above and beyond when the chips are down and something extra ordinary is required. Do they have license to take the game on or step out of the box when the going gets tough? What happens when they run out of options on the algorithm and need to be creative? The value of experience is that it allows you to problem solve using past actions that resulted in a good outcome. I don’t think the group can take the next step if they can’t adapt to in game conditions and go above and beyond what required of their roles.

What a total and utter failure ultimately.

I agree with people saying that one hurts more than any except maybe 2001 or 2016. Like we were clearly shit at other times. Now we are clearly not shit we just couldn't actually do it.

Good:
-Treacy
-Serong, Young, Clark, Brayshaw all elite
-Sharp what a pickup for free

Bad:
-Coaching, selection, our total inability to adapt or change anything at all in game or maybe try a different structure.
-JOM and playing the like over guys at Peel we could have pumped games into
-Luke Ryan kicking it long to a pack 60m out

Ugly
-Fyfe and Walters
-Getting run over at the end week in week out
-Not making finals from where we were

This is shooting from the hip, but I think the injuries (league wide) are making way more difference this year than most others.

The top ~12 or so were so close, and basically everyone outside of the bottom 3 can beat anyone. The margins are thin as it is so losing 6-8 players (Carlton) or 3/5 of your spine (us) is actually a massive deal. It takes you from a marginal top 4 team to an also ran.

Normally if you're top 3 in round 20, your ~4 games clear of 9th and probably a fair bit better than them. You can buffer the loss of a handful of key players, at least in the short term. No such gap this year in wins or ability and neither team could cope with those losses.

Admittedly I think our biggest problem is the lack of intensity and composure in close games, but the odds are with even 2/3 playing we pinch one of those games.
100%, we definitely would have won at least 1, probably 2 of the last 4 games if Treacy and Pearce played. Some injuries are more impactful than others.

What a total and utter failure ultimately.

I agree with people saying that one hurts more than any except maybe 2001 or 2016. Like we were clearly shit at other times. Now we are clearly not shit we just couldn't actually do it.

Good:
-Treacy
-Serong, Young, Clark, Brayshaw all elite
-Sharp what a pickup for free

Bad:
-Coaching, selection, our total inability to adapt or change anything at all in game or maybe try a different structure.
-JOM and playing the like over guys at Peel we could have pumped games into
-Luke Ryan kicking it long to a pack 60m out

Ugly
-Fyfe and Walters
-Getting run over at the end week in week out
-Not making finals from where we were
2016?
That was over by round 8. Was numb from that point on. Didn’t know it would last until 2022.

2001?
Nah, Fremantle was a joke. Lucky to even survive.

This year hurts the most. The opportunity was right there. Win 2 or 3 of the last 4, get top 2/4.
Sydney losing by 100 points then come first.

Port are second? Spare me

Top it off, Geelong are third.

Fremantle are so much better. But just find a new way to choke.

Just so much wrong. Worst loss was Bulldogs by 56. The rest of the losses were either less than a goal to 30 max. Consistent all season.

As supporters we're becoming too binary. Are you a positive supporter after this season? Or are you a negative doomsayer? I'm seeing a lot of filth posted by so-called supporters, and I'm also seeing blind faith support posts pledging their undying allegiance without question.

Guess what - neither of these approaches are correct. There were stages across this season, and I'm thinking the Sydney and Melbourne away games where we truly looked like the real deal. Our forward aggression, clearance work and defensive pressure was elite. There were times when we looked like hot garbage too, losing the first derby against a second rate Eagles, losing against a trash team like Essendon after being 25 points up with 10 minutes to go. We have shown we know the way, and we've shown ourselves to be utterly clueless at stages too.

Instead of reactive posturing and emotional cliches, maybe it's time to reflect and ask the club questions? Acknowledge we've got some good talent and that's largely the result of good drafting, acknowledge that at times our play looks fast and exciting, acknowledge there's been improvements.

But ask questions too, like why do we have such low pressure across the league? Why does there never seem to be a backup plan when the opposition applies relentless pressure? Why do some players receive consistent backing (ie. Banfield, O'Meara) and others don't get a look in? (Brodie, Erasmus). While you're pondering that, ponder this - Sturt has had a consistent stop start career with us, and when the team loses he's dropped. He got a game against Melbourne and did nothing but we won by 92 points so they gave him another go, the next week he kicked 3 against a losing Bulldogs, and then slowly but surely he built some form by applying tackles and pressures and kicked goals every game and eventually he solidified himself in the squad. If we lost against Melbourne, he would've dropped and never to be seen again for the rest of the season, in fact that might've been his career. Don't believe me? Go look at his last games - and that's everything wrong with JL. At times, I believe he coaches based on circumstance rather than an ability to forecast into the future. JL talks about defecits in Brodie and Erasmus games at Peel, imagine if they had a run at AFL level like Sturt, it may have been different.

There's a sense of favourites and conservatism at selection too - was JOM a trade recruit who could take us to next level? Or was he someone able to contribute in the absence of Mundy, he's not a bad player but he offers little help to make the club ascend to higher levels. Fyfe and Walters are lovable and loyal long-term players, but they've unfortunately regressed to second gear and that's just the way of it, I don't care what the CEO says this isn't charity it's an 18-man hunt to the finish line and we haven't picked the winning breed yet.

And on JL, he's a smart tactician - he's made the skills of the club better since the days of Ross, but consider that the man is very, very introverted and it's not good for the team. We have a great young squad but guess what? They also belong to the COVID generation - Buckley himself said Freo were so quiet, players and coach. That can be quiet confidence and it can also be.. deep introversion. The team can be tactful for most of the game, but when the heat is on on there's a lack of tough, on-field leadership. Do you know who used to bring that heat back in the day? Ballantyne, McPhee, Crowley, Suban - they went hard all the time every time, we had that in Logue and Acres but we didn't want to pay them so we lost them and haven't replaced the grit and tenacity.

There's too many smiles between players and the opposition, Hayden Ballantyne literally just said on SEN radio the other day how much it upsets him to see Freo players being so meek and friendly with the opposition. It's nice everyone's mates on Instagram, but where's the biffo and aggression from yesteryear when Freo players really didn't like the Eagles and opposition teams, you could actually feel the aggression at Subi in those days.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we've got a healthy squad and there's every chance the club will trade/draft well in the off-season, but we have just been dealt our harshest and biggest lesson ever in our short history - and that is that it doesn't matter if you do things right 95% of the time, the extra 4-5% is measured beyond skill and relies on steely grit, gut-strong belief and determination and an X-factor we don't have at the coaching and playing level.

We have an excellent chance to get this right over the off-season, and we as supporters should be acting as a guide to ensure the club is being held to the right standards and expectations. Let's hope the club has the same drive as us! Go hard Freo or die trying.

Where's Jackson at? 🧐

He injured or something? Genuinely can't remember the last time he adequately imposed himself on a game. Would have been back in autumn at best. Nothing comes to mind.

Got bested by a 6 game part timer in the ruck tonight. Embarrassing gear.
Maybe I expected too much from him, but he just looked too comfortable with the way he played all season. Hardly took a mark.
He will need to have a massive off season pre season, the improve on that with an even tougher pre season.
I hope he can be used full time as a forward and use his big body to become the body guard for Amiss.

Forget the game that Carlton stole off us earlier in the year, forget going into the first derby thinking the game was already won, forget Sharp’s last minute miss against Collingwood…and numerous other missed opportunities. But if we had just managed to make sure that Essendon with 14 seconds on the clock didn’t burst out of the front of that centre bounce and we drew that game, we would be in the 8.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a big hole on our list is the lack of talent between 26 and 30. Ryan, Cox, and Pearce are our only 3 that are clear best 22.

O'Meara, Walters, Fyfe and Aish are the others that could provide experience but are not in the top 15 players at the club, and at least 3 of them I don't think will be best 23 next year.

I remember before Port won their first flag, they brought Hardwick over and he provided the experience and toughness to help them succeed come finals. If we can add 2 or 3 players in the 24 to 27 range, it would make a big difference over the next 2 or 3 years.

Brandon Starcevich would be great at the end of 2025.

2022 we looked the goods.
Then we kicked Acres out & left Peel with Will Brodie.

On top of that squeezing Fyfe in at any opportunity. In or out of form Fyfe got game time.

Last year pissed me off.
This year I couldn't even watch the game, I just knew we were not in it and actually felt a relief that I wouldn't be wasting more weekends getting pissed off with the lack of pressure and amature team work/tactics.

They had everything to play for yesterday and they shit the bed.
Too young? Injurys? Stfu and man up Freo. Yesterday was pathetic and unfortunately the buck stops with Justin Longmuir not getting the best out of the team.
He has had 5 years with a now great list.
It's time to move on.

2022 we looked the goods.
Then we kicked Acres out & left Peel with Will Brodie.

On top of that squeezing Fyfe in at any opportunity. In or out of form Fyfe got game time.

Last year pissed me off.
This year I couldn't even watch the game, I just knew we were not in it and actually felt a relief that I wouldn't be wasting more weekends getting pissed off with the lack of pressure and amature team work/tactics.

They had everything to play for yesterday and they shit the bed.
Too young? Injurys? Stfu and man up Freo. Yesterday was pathetic and unfortunately the buck stops with Justin Longmuir not getting the best out of the team.
He has had 5 years with a now great list.
It's time to move on.
We aren’t getting rid of Jlo unfortunately! He will be coaching in 2025. Hopefully the talent outweighs his game day decision making and selections.

I agree with having an assistant coach with a bit more agro about them. I think different leadership personalities should complement, if everyone's the same, someone's probably being wasted. I disagree that this team is one that could get belted by 100 pts in a GF, I think that's behind us.

As supporters we're becoming too binary. Are you a positive supporter after this season? Or are you a negative doomsayer? I'm seeing a lot of filth posted by so-called supporters, and I'm also seeing blind faith support posts pledging their undying allegiance without question.

Guess what - neither of these approaches are correct. There were stages across this season, and I'm thinking the Sydney and Melbourne away games where we truly looked like the real deal. Our forward aggression, clearance work and defensive pressure was elite. There were times when we looked like hot garbage too, losing the first derby against a second rate Eagles, losing against a trash team like Essendon after being 25 points up with 10 minutes to go. We have shown we know the way, and we've shown ourselves to be utterly clueless at stages too.

Instead of reactive posturing and emotional cliches, maybe it's time to reflect and ask the club questions? Acknowledge we've got some good talent and that's largely the result of good drafting, acknowledge that at times our play looks fast and exciting, acknowledge there's been improvements.

But ask questions too, like why do we have such low pressure across the league? Why does there never seem to be a backup plan when the opposition applies relentless pressure? Why do some players receive consistent backing (ie. Banfield, O'Meara) and others don't get a look in? (Brodie, Erasmus). While you're pondering that, ponder this - Sturt has had a consistent stop start career with us, and when the team loses he's dropped. He got a game against Melbourne and did nothing but we won by 92 points so they gave him another go, the next week he kicked 3 against a losing Bulldogs, and then slowly but surely he built some form by applying tackles and pressures and kicked goals every game and eventually he solidified himself in the squad. If we lost against Melbourne, he would've dropped and never to be seen again for the rest of the season, in fact that might've been his career. Don't believe me? Go look at his last games - and that's everything wrong with JL. At times, I believe he coaches based on circumstance rather than an ability to forecast into the future. JL talks about defecits in Brodie and Erasmus games at Peel, imagine if they had a run at AFL level like Sturt, it may have been different.

There's a sense of favourites and conservatism at selection too - was JOM a trade recruit who could take us to next level? Or was he someone able to contribute in the absence of Mundy, he's not a bad player but he offers little help to make the club ascend to higher levels. Fyfe and Walters are lovable and loyal long-term players, but they've unfortunately regressed to second gear and that's just the way of it, I don't care what the CEO says this isn't charity it's an 18-man hunt to the finish line and we haven't picked the winning breed yet.

And on JL, he's a smart tactician - he's made the skills of the club better since the days of Ross, but consider that the man is very, very introverted and it's not good for the team. We have a great young squad but guess what? They also belong to the COVID generation - Buckley himself said Freo were so quiet, players and coach. That can be quiet confidence and it can also be.. deep introversion. The team can be tactful for most of the game, but when the heat is on on there's a lack of tough, on-field leadership. Do you know who used to bring that heat back in the day? Ballantyne, McPhee, Crowley, Suban - they went hard all the time every time, we had that in Logue and Acres but we didn't want to pay them so we lost them and haven't replaced the grit and tenacity.

There's too many smiles between players and the opposition, Hayden Ballantyne literally just said on SEN radio the other day how much it upsets him to see Freo players being so meek and friendly with the opposition. It's nice everyone's mates on Instagram, but where's the biffo and aggression from yesteryear when Freo players really didn't like the Eagles and opposition teams, you could actually feel the aggression at Subi in those days.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we've got a healthy squad and there's every chance the club will trade/draft well in the off-season, but we have just been dealt our harshest and biggest lesson ever in our short history - and that is that it doesn't matter if you do things right 95% of the time, the extra 4-5% is measured beyond skill and relies on steely grit, gut-strong belief and determination and an X-factor we don't have at the coaching and playing level.

We have an excellent chance to get this right over the off-season, and we as supporters should be acting as a guide to ensure the club is being held to the right standards and expectations. Let's hope the club has the same drive as us! Go hard Freo or die trying.
A lot of interesting points here.

I think the players being meek and non-aggressive is definitely a point of improvement. Everyone hated the “unsociable” Hawks, but damn didn’t it work for them?

The last time one of our players had true mongrel was Serong giving away a 150m penalty vs the Dogs and it fired the whole team up for a win.

Selections really weren’t based on merit this year. Brodie isn’t being picked because he doesn’t two way run enough, yet Fyfe does? Nonsense. Is Simpson coming out and only getting a handful of disposals somehow worse than Walters doing the same? One of them will gain valuable game day experience for it, the other is just running out their contract.

Forget the game that Carlton stole off us earlier in the year, forget going into the first derby thinking the game was already won, forget Sharp’s last minute miss against Collingwood…and numerous other missed opportunities. But if we had just managed to make sure that Essendon with 14 seconds on the clock didn’t burst out of the front of that centre bounce and we drew that game, we would be in the 8.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If if if.

We were in winning positions late in most of our games that we lost. That is a sign of a good squad.
We lost most of those games because of lack of experience in killing games. You try and get a bunch of 20-23 year olds to keep their cool, make the right decision when they've only played ~15 games or less and that's what is going to happen.

It's easy to bring up our old mantra "there's always next year", however in this case it's about next year, the year after that, the year after that and probably the year after that when that bunch of 20-23 year olds with 10-30 games or less are 24-27 with 100 games under their belts and will know a lot better how to kill a game and hold on to a lead.

We played a very young and very inexperienced side most of the year and it started to fall apart for them a bit when we lost our most experienced ruck, our most experienced forward and our most experienced defender - and captain.

I don't want to open up the can of worms that is the coaching panel and JL specifically. Experience, cool heads, knowing when to take a breath before kicking inside 50 from a mark on the wing and taking rushed, pressure kicks at goal are generally not things easily simulated or gained during training drills.

This squad has some great up side. The end to 2024 sucked, however, the positive signs are there. We missed out on top 2 if not for a few close games we couldn't kill and that my friends, will come with experience. Through games, trades in for guys with that experience and getting our full squad on the park.

If we had a fit Treacy, Pearch and Darcy for the last 3 games we would have halved that come away with at least a win - maybe more. Glass half full and all that. There is always an element of luck to everything as well.

The pessimist in me says JL is a shit coach, we will never have that killer edge in front of goal and experience means squat if you can't execute. The optimist says the killer edge will come, experience and execution go hand in hand and will get better as this list matures - like a fine wine. The realist in me says even if we do improve, other teams will be improving constantly and we can't gauge any of this based on a snapshot of any other teams progress or journey.

this might sound weird given how talented we are throughout the ground but i think we lack talent or talent depth around the ball compared to other teams.

so when it comes time to win a game we can't go with teams. our A graders are darcy (missed a lot of footy), brayshaw, serong and young. but at anyone period of time one of those players is in the forward line or on the bench.

thus today and the last 4 weeks. we had 2/3 of our A graders vs JHF, butters, wines, boak, rozee, drew or dangerfield, stewart or tom green, cognilio (GWS have a million) or merrett, stringer, parish. before we get to our next best midfielder.

mono amono we aren't able to be better than the opposition midfield. its a draw or marginally better. our midfield excels because its high workrate, diligent and able to get lots of clearances.

not the same as go and win us a game. collingwood last year and melbourne 2021 won a flag off this.

i think we get a flag when, jackson, odriscoll, sharp, johnson, erasmus, fyfe, omera, switta become a better group.

Totally agree. Our midfield lacks depth and I think also lacks pace and size. This is our biggest weakness and the midfield we have is nowhere near premiership quality.

JOM and Fyfe need to be replaced ASAP and various question marks over Sharp, NOD, Aish, Johnson and Raz. Could need as many as 3-4 more players in there.

It’s unfortunate all our 1st rounders are going to Rich for Bolton so we don’t have to pay part of his wages but such is Dockers life.

Totally agree. Our midfield lacks depth and I think also lacks pace and size. This is our biggest weakness and the midfield we have is nowhere near premiership quality.

JOM and Fyfe need to be replaced ASAP and various question marks over Sharp, NOD, Aish, Johnson and Raz. Could need as many as 3-4 more players in there.

It’s unfortunate all our 1st rounders are going to Rich for Bolton so we don’t have to pay part of his wages but such is Dockers life.
Develop players in that position then.
NOD can go inside. Johnson is going to be a beast. Chapman is too good down back.
My biggest wildcard ? Jackson.
Feel like the coaches need to let him roam, let him go around the ground. Play him like he’s 6 foot. Likes he’s Fyfe.

Then Play Darcy with Voss, Treacy and Amiss up forward.

Surely it’s getting senile and boring just rolling out the ol ruck and resting ruck bs. It’s limiting Jackson’s potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Season 2024 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back