Official Match Thread SEASON 33 GRAND FINAL: ROYS FFC V EAST SIDE PHOENIX at SFA PARK

Who will win the S33 SFA Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats_R_Cool_4_Ever has entered the chat!! Welcome to the party. Pull up a chair... American sports, non-composers named Wolfgang, North Melbourne vs Gold Coast laugh-worthiness, and whether or not MannumPower is actually a South African arsenic mining baron are all topics of conversation this evening

Go Roy's.

I haven't even heard of the other team.
Neither have we. We are hoping they don’t surprise us on the weekend by actually existing

Cats_R_Cool_4_Ever has entered the chat!! Welcome to the party. Pull up a chair... American sports, non-composers named Wolfgang, North Melbourne vs Gold Coast laugh-worthiness, and whether or not MannumPower is actually a South African arsenic mining baron are all topics of conversation this evening
And I’m playing a game and half asleep lol

Haha you won’t find that eyebrow from me, or most other Aussie fans. Seems like good reasoning to me, are you from Oakland originally?

My sister-in-law is from Wisconsin, so that explains itself and I had a good mate playing at LSU so I chose that as my college team, haha.

Los Angeles, actually. I only casually cared about the Rams.

As far as I'm concerned, they should just send the Chargers back to San Diego.

My college team is my alma mater, so there's that.

Is this sort of thing common in the US Braklet? I feel like they don’t always understand the concept of remaining loyal to a team through thick and thin…

Fair-weather fans are endemic to every professional sport.

Hell, I'm still a Lakers fanatic, been a while since we've been relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's true. My tipping point was when footy moved to Adelaide Oval. My mum and I used to go to every Crows home game at AAMI Stadium, but after the last games in 2013 we never renewed our memberships at the Oval (much pricier, and we felt like we had less time). As time went on my interest kept dwindling. I used to do Supercoach, I used to tip, and then slowly stopped doing that. Don't even do it at work anymore!
I will occasionally watch the games on TV. Yep, I don't even always watch my Crow boys anymore. I don't know half the team! Kinda embarrassing really, but that's how much life has moved on from it.
The game has changed so much in the last decade - mostly for the worse. The incessant, constant rule changes do my head in: why can't they leave the bloody game alone? I watched some highlights of the 1980's the other night, and was reminded of what a great game we USED TO have, but it's been sanitised so much, that it's unrecognisable compared to what it was back then.

Love Calamity Jane - Doris Day!!!

Oof... Doris Day about whom Goldwyn (iirc) once said 'I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.'

Prefer the version of Calamity Jane in Deadwood - great series and and film.

The game has changed so much in the last decade - mostly for the worse. The incessant, constant rule changes do my head in: why can't they leave the bloody game alone? I watched some highlights of the 1980's the other night, and was reminded of what a great game we USED TO have, but it's been sanitised so much, that it's unrecognisable compared to what it was back then.

spot on... "umpirage" is the central feature of the modern game

Crikey Mobbs you have a massive game to play and should be getting some shut eye. Only ancients like me un-lullable by the rain should trundle through the night.

The Grand Final thread should take the directions chosen by the members of the participating teams. That is a given. By tradition the thread also involves players from the other 10 Clubs who are participant observers in the fun and hi jinx but are steps removed from the central fray.

The French, bless their socks have a concept and word that describes what we neutrals do. That is we are flaneurs, strolling through and silently observing city life, especially fancy retail and chic boulevards with their restaurants and Clubs.

Friday, as has been proved conclusively, is the worst day of the week. I think we visitors to the thread should do something nice and flip Friday to a positive by writing a couple of polite observations about one or both teams. Let Flaneur Friday begin.

I am gunna let that register.

Sorry... Do you enjoy sitting down to watch North games though?

Be honest
Absolutely. The one game we play up here got scheduled to Darwin.

Absolutely. The one game we play up here got scheduled to Darwin.
Fair enough, was tongue firmly in cheek. I would have been disappointed if you said no. Pity it was your local game that got moved and not a different one

Agreed. I reckon it peaked sometime in the 90s, when professionalism and all-round skills were starting to get right up there but coaches hadn’t yet worked out how to ruin the game with certain tactics, and full forwards could still regularly kick 100 in a season. I might be wrong but I feel like Rodney Eade perfecting flooding when he was at the Swans is what kind of started the rot. Suddenly we were beating far more skillful teams just by choking the hell out of them. The rule changes have constantly been trying to push back against congestion ever since, trying to re-engineer the game rather than realising that it probably would have naturally evolved again by itself without outside interference

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread SEASON 33 GRAND FINAL: ROYS FFC V EAST SIDE PHOENIX at SFA PARK

Back