Official Match Thread Season 33 - Round 11: Dragons FFC vs Fighting Furies at Ljp86's Lair - grand final rematch

Remove this Banner Ad

JAMES COLORADO'S TARANTINO MOVIE COUNTDOWN!!

(I'm only posting the trailers).

9. The Hateful Eight.

Lacking in the vision of his other films, though still worth a watch. I love Walton Goggins, but his affected accent was off putting in this. The overt misogyny in the Kurt Russell character was also cheap characterisation.

8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Fun, and well plotted, though lacking in the heft of the earlier films. Leads are brilliant, though the Bruce Lee scene was ridiculous; the Charles Manson scenario was not as fully explored as it should have been. One of my fellow General Metal Thread posters did point out that the film was more about the changing of the guard in Hollywood, and I was overplaying the Manson Family angle, which upon reflection I do agree with. I haven't changed my ranking though, as even as brilliant as this move is (The Joker was the better picture of its year, though) Tarantino's oeuvre is so strong it is ranked quite low.

10. Death Proof.

serviceable for its purpose, yet entirely lacking in ambition.

9. The Hateful Eight.

Lacking in the vision of his other films, though still worth a watch. I love Walton Goggins, but his affected accent was off putting in this. The overt misogyny in the Kurt Russell character was also cheap characterisation.

Both behind Jackie Brown? Rough!!

7. Django Unchained.

I rate this lower than most due to it being uncomfortable. The stuff that was done to the slaves in the movie was all done in real life; That scene where they set the dogs onto the captured runaways is (intentionally) revolting. Because I'm such a softy it makes it a hard watch. DiCaprio was outstanding though, and Nichole Galicia is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Fun, and well plotted, though lacking in the heft of the earlier films. Leads are brilliant, though the Bruce Lee scene was ridiculous; the Charles Manson scenario was not as fully explored as it should have been. One of my fellow General Metal Thread posters did point out that the film was more about the changing of the guard in Hollywood, and I was overplaying the Manson Family angle, which upon reflection I do agree with. I haven't changed my ranking though, as even as brilliant as this move is (The Joker was the better picture of its year, though) Tarantino's oeuvre is so strong it is ranked quite low.

will-smith-oscars.gif

6. Reservoir Dogs.

A magnificent independent film, and really works within the limitations of budget and young film maker's script. As a sidenote, actually did a presentation on Petronius' Satyricon in uni, in the style of the opening Cafe scene. Everyone else wore bed sheet togas, we wore suits (except for the D-Bag who boasted about his $1000 suit beforehand, then came in normal clothes, dick). They did affected language, we did modern language but talking about Ancient Roman concerns. Professor loved it, we all scored A++.

5. Kill Bill Vol 2.

Lacks the punch of its predecessor (not just due to the Crazy 88 sequence being in Vol 1, but the characters who were mysterious in it are now no longer a mystery), but is a very good conclusion to the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6. Reservoir Dogs.

A magnificent independent film, and really works within the limitations of budget and young film maker's script. As a sidenote, actually did a presentation on Petronius' Satyricon in uni, in the style of the opening Cafe scene. Everyone else wore bed sheet togas, we wore suits (except for the D-Bag who boasted about his $1000 suit beforehand, then came in normal clothes, dick). They did affected language, we did modern language but talking about Ancient Roman concerns. Professor loved it, we all scored A++.

How have you not listed Jackie Brown yet??????

50 posts. For some of you this is a minor blip on the radar, however this is only the third time I have reached this milestone I believe in over 200 games. Other occasions being the season 28 Grand final and a random Bombers match thread.

To celebrate, my favourite gif
View attachment 1375179
The random Bomber matchthread won’t cost you anything mate.

Love you long time.

7683A4D1-A3D3-4FC2-BC24-5ECBE6FD47E0.gif

4. Kill Bill Vol 1.

Visually stunning, and a very good tribute to its obvious influences.

4. Kill Bill Vol 1.

Visually stunning, and a very good tribute to its obvious influences.

Have you forgotten about Jackie Brown? Surely that must be it. PF and IB clearly your top two.

3. Jackie Brown.

Another one I rate higher than most, it has a gripping plot and the actors really work well with their characters. Like most Tarantino films, originality isn't necessarily the strong point, rather the melding together of influences to create a synergy or gestalt. I wouldn't say either were achieved here, gestalt the closer, though this is a brilliant homage to an older film style, updating it for the (then) present.

2. Inglourious Basterds.

I rate it higher than most, but I loved the story, Diane Kruger, the themes, Diane Kruger, and Christoph Waltz' performance. It also has Diane Kruger.

1. Pulp Fiction.

The movie he was born to make. Utterly brilliant.

JAMES COLORADO'S TARANTINO MOVIE COUNTDOWN!! BONUS - WRITTEN BUT NOT DIRECTED!!

3. True Romance.

I don't mean to imply anything from the low ranking, it's a decent movie, but the dialogue is very overwrought and unnatural. He wrote this while working in a video store, and you can see the difference in maturity when you compare Reservoir Dogs to this. The non-linear narrative was changed for the movie (Dir. Tony Scott).

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 33 - Round 11: Dragons FFC vs Fighting Furies at Ljp86's Lair - grand final rematch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back