Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Bears sign AceAndy

He finally gets a call up from the 2s
Drunk Mayim Bialik GIF by CallMeKatFOX

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every week makes a difference in an already short season. I believe there was a fixture drawn up that had 14 games each but certain other clubs complained and wanted even more games so this was the result. It's those clubs who should take the blame for the resulting mini offseason and pre-Christmas finals and awards season. 14 games would've at least been an acceptable medium /balance between the fair/equal 13 round season (eg S34) and current arrangement.

14 games over 16 weeks wouldn't be too bad but is still a little on the short side. That's 28 playing weeks minimum over the season which is still fairly short and leaves too much downtime for clubs not playing finals.

I maintain that a season of around 16 games (no byes) is optimum and this is fairly consistent with what the majority of participants in the competition prefer.

In the offseason just gone, no double up preferences were sought and in the past, certain preferences have been ignored. I'm firmly in the camp that double-ups are a bad thing, especially as finals may mean playing a team 2-3 times a short succession as a result.

Unfortunately you're in the minority. Shorter seasons have not been well received previously due to their short, truncated nature and have left people feeling the season is too short. It also means that clubs have less opportunity to win games and the dangling carrot of finals is distinguished earlier for clubs with the shorter season. In a competition that is based on activity and banter, that's a poor outcome and means interest drops off as a result, which is not optimal for participation.

Having a short offseason takes away from the chance to do tours and other drives as well. This could be more of a feature next offseason but I still believe that the primary driving reason for reduced recruitment relates to reduced joining of bigfooty members. That doesn't mean I'm on board when it comes to recruiting completely unknown people from external sites but I do think we could all be drawing on our non-bigfooty connections a little more.'

I agree and there's a balance that needs to be reached here. I feel there needs to be some strategy implemented over the off-season in December 2024/January 2025 on season length and fitting this into the 2025 calendar year. I'm sure expansion will be raised, but personally, I don't think this is warranted with current activity levels.

Board tours are very important as are banners for this competition. The committee needs to drive recruitment and ensure there is a stream of rookies coming into the competition each season to ensure there is replacement of players that leave the competition after the completion of each season.

In the scheme of things, the rushed SoO wasn't anywhere near as bad as the rushed SFA-proper match threads last season.

Last season's fixture was rubbish and could have easily been worked a lot better. There needs to be better planning and strategy for the fixture going forward.

Bears sign AceAndy

He finally gets a call up from the 2s
Hang on there stretch.

He needs to prove himself in the early game first for the Isotopes alongside M92.

Alright Bears, it's time to kick off the season with a bang! We're heading to Dragon Island to face those fire breathers. It's Cap's 150th game for the club, so let's make it one to remember. And we've got SSSSSS making his debut, let's give him a proper Bears welcome on the field.

Here's the game plan:
Forwards
: Imagine the ball is a donut. Go after it like you’re Homer Simpson on a sugar high.
Defense: Channel your inner bear. Relentless, fearless, and maybe a little crazy.
Midfield: Think of yourselves as ninjas. Silent, swift, and striking fear into the hearts of Dragons.
Interchange: Treat it like musical chairs. Keep the tempo high, and if you miss your cue, you’re sitting in the dragon’s lair.

Dragons out of playoffs.png

JoseMourinho is our driver today, and you know he's got the patience of a caffeinated chipmunk. If you're late, you're dragon food. So, get your gear, put your game face on, and let's roll out.

Remember, we're not just playing a game, we’re making a statement. Let's show those Dragons that when you mess with the Bears, you get the claws. Now, let's get out there and bring home the win!
Go Bears!

Rd 1 Dragons.png
Art Vandelay_ Cap Chipmunk CountryLad Electronic_Renaissance Fizzler Grin I Dont Care Jezmiester40 JoseMourinho JoshWoodenSpoon kane249 Matera92 Millky95 Muddiemoose MWPP RonnieRaven RookiePick Senor M Shadow Man SSSSSS Tandy Test Tickle Tommycash

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back