Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 5 - West Coast Wonders v Coney Island Warriors @ The Colosseum

Remove this Banner Ad

i can think of two things
Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

View attachment 2085781
Agent93 Barrybran brian_muz Dinsdale FootyGuy13 Frankston Rover Freofalcon Lord_Flashheart Mesc Mofra Ocha905 pantskyle Paracleet Piggy Smalls Purple7x08_24 raffrox Raveneyes Reginald Perrin SBYM Smoooothy Snuffaluphagus spudmaster Stokey The Filth Wizard TheInjuryFactory toxic TubbsFarquhar Volbeat zackah

View attachment 2085785

My fellow Wazzas, it's time to turn the pages of the Quinness World Records book and find some more feats in this week's edition of Know Your Opponents. This week we have the West Coast Wonders, where I could go down the old angle as they are a foundation club. I could do something about the successes they have accumulated over 38 seasons, or I could do something about the local fish & chip wrapper's obsession with their gun recr- oh wait, that's the other West Coast.

But I digress. Circumstances that played out over the past week have been the deciding influence on what chapter of the Quinness World Records book I read from this week. So please enjoy some of the Most Expensive Typos in the World.

I'll start with NASA's Mariner 1 mission in 1962, a mission that was meant to send a probe to Venus in the first interplanetary mission in US history. Except it didn't make it. A missing hyphen in the guidance code meant that NASA lost contact and the probe veered dangerously off course, and it blew up 293 seconds after launch. The cost of the mission was $18.5 million (nearly $150 million today), which led to Arthur C. Clarke dubbing the error "the most expensive hyphen in history".

Want a more expensive one? How about the housing development in Wasatch County, Utah. The 2019 tax assessment for this development was logged in at just under a billion dollars, which was a lazy $543 million more than what it was actually worth. As a result local taxpayers copped it in the ear for the next five years. How could this happen? According to Wasatch County Assessor Maureen “Buff” Griffiths, a staff member may have dropped a phone on a computer keyboard, creating the typo that caused the countywide overvaluation. Whoops!

Like your typos a bit more risque? Well in the 1988 Yellow Pages (a phone book that existed before the Internet), an ad purchased by the Banner Travel agency was meant to espouse the company’s “exotic travel” options—instead, thanks to a typo by Pacific Bell, it advertised “erotic” travel destinations. Banner’s owner said the error cost her 80 percent of her business (primarily elderly customers) and was not assuaged when Bell waived the ad’s $230 monthly fee; she later sued for $10 million.

How does a thriving, 124-year-old family business with 250 employees go out of business in two short months? Blame the letter “s.” In 2015 the British government’s registrar of companies reported that Taylor & Sons, a family engineering business established in 1875, was being liquidated. The problem: it wasn’t. In fact, a completely different company named Taylor and Son (no ’s’ at the end) had gone belly-up, and the registrar didn’t catch the difference in spelling. Though the typo was corrected within three days, the damage to Taylor & Sons’ credibility was irreparable. Two months later they were, indeed, out of business—and a court found the government liable for the equivalent of a roughly 8.8 million pound legal bill.

Here's one involving beer. An eBay user learned the hard way that fortune (and spelling) can be fickle when he decided to auction a rare bottle of Allsopp’s Arctic Ale, brewed in 1852 and perfectly preserved. The beer should have fetched a small fortune from enthusiasts—if only the seller had spelled the name correctly. Accidentally labeled as “Allsop’s” (missing the second ’p’) in the auction title, the item did not appear when buyers searched for the beer by its proper name, resulting in a mere two bids and a lackluster sale at $304 ($5 more than the original $299 asking price). Eight weeks later, the lucky buyer listed the same bottle on eBay, though spelled correctly this time. After receiving 157 bids, the bottle sold for $503,300.

In 2006, Alitalia Airlines mistakenly listed a deal on flights from Toronto to Cyprus for only $39. They meant to say “$3,900,” but by the time the error could be corrected some 2,000 passengers had already booked flights at the epic low rate. Fearing the fallout of canceling those tickets, Alitalia decided to let their customers get away with the bargain —costing the company more than $7 million in losses.

None of these events were resimmed, but the perpetrators of the typos all learned very valuable lessons.

Enjoy the week fellas!​
You disappoint me. How could you skip this typo?

View attachment 2085781
Agent93 Barrybran brian_muz Dinsdale FootyGuy13 Frankston Rover Freofalcon Lord_Flashheart Mesc Mofra Ocha905 pantskyle Paracleet Piggy Smalls Purple7x08_24 raffrox Raveneyes Reginald Perrin SBYM Smoooothy Snuffaluphagus spudmaster Stokey The Filth Wizard TheInjuryFactory toxic TubbsFarquhar Volbeat zackah

View attachment 2085785

My fellow Wazzas, it's time to turn the pages of the Quinness World Records book and find some more feats in this week's edition of Know Your Opponents. This week we have the West Coast Wonders, where I could go down the old angle as they are a foundation club. I could do something about the successes they have accumulated over 38 seasons, or I could do something about the local fish & chip wrapper's obsession with their gun recr- oh wait, that's the other West Coast.

But I digress. Circumstances that played out over the past week have been the deciding influence on what chapter of the Quinness World Records book I read from this week. So please enjoy some of the Most Expensive Typos in the World.

I'll start with NASA's Mariner 1 mission in 1962, a mission that was meant to send a probe to Venus in the first interplanetary mission in US history. Except it didn't make it. A missing hyphen in the guidance code meant that NASA lost contact and the probe veered dangerously off course, and it blew up 293 seconds after launch. The cost of the mission was $18.5 million (nearly $150 million today), which led to Arthur C. Clarke dubbing the error "the most expensive hyphen in history".

Want a more expensive one? How about the housing development in Wasatch County, Utah. The 2019 tax assessment for this development was logged in at just under a billion dollars, which was a lazy $543 million more than what it was actually worth. As a result local taxpayers copped it in the ear for the next five years. How could this happen? According to Wasatch County Assessor Maureen “Buff” Griffiths, a staff member may have dropped a phone on a computer keyboard, creating the typo that caused the countywide overvaluation. Whoops!

Like your typos a bit more risque? Well in the 1988 Yellow Pages (a phone book that existed before the Internet), an ad purchased by the Banner Travel agency was meant to espouse the company’s “exotic travel” options—instead, thanks to a typo by Pacific Bell, it advertised “erotic” travel destinations. Banner’s owner said the error cost her 80 percent of her business (primarily elderly customers) and was not assuaged when Bell waived the ad’s $230 monthly fee; she later sued for $10 million.

How does a thriving, 124-year-old family business with 250 employees go out of business in two short months? Blame the letter “s.” In 2015 the British government’s registrar of companies reported that Taylor & Sons, a family engineering business established in 1875, was being liquidated. The problem: it wasn’t. In fact, a completely different company named Taylor and Son (no ’s’ at the end) had gone belly-up, and the registrar didn’t catch the difference in spelling. Though the typo was corrected within three days, the damage to Taylor & Sons’ credibility was irreparable. Two months later they were, indeed, out of business—and a court found the government liable for the equivalent of a roughly 8.8 million pound legal bill.

Here's one involving beer. An eBay user learned the hard way that fortune (and spelling) can be fickle when he decided to auction a rare bottle of Allsopp’s Arctic Ale, brewed in 1852 and perfectly preserved. The beer should have fetched a small fortune from enthusiasts—if only the seller had spelled the name correctly. Accidentally labeled as “Allsop’s” (missing the second ’p’) in the auction title, the item did not appear when buyers searched for the beer by its proper name, resulting in a mere two bids and a lackluster sale at $304 ($5 more than the original $299 asking price). Eight weeks later, the lucky buyer listed the same bottle on eBay, though spelled correctly this time. After receiving 157 bids, the bottle sold for $503,300.

In 2006, Alitalia Airlines mistakenly listed a deal on flights from Toronto to Cyprus for only $39. They meant to say “$3,900,” but by the time the error could be corrected some 2,000 passengers had already booked flights at the epic low rate. Fearing the fallout of canceling those tickets, Alitalia decided to let their customers get away with the bargain —costing the company more than $7 million in losses.

None of these events were resimmed, but the perpetrators of the typos all learned very valuable lessons.

Enjoy the week fellas!​

Sorry but not going to bother this week when in all likelihood it'll be re-simmed.

Oh wait it's the Wonders so not likely to get a re-sim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2085781

View attachment 2085785

Enjoy the week fellas!​
Ooh thanks for the tag - haven't gotten into the groove yet this season and keep forgetting which day of the week which Friday the thread pops up. [yeah yeah, same as every other season, SHUTUP!]

Good evening Wonders and fellow victorious Wazzas 👋

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 5 - West Coast Wonders v Coney Island Warriors @ The Colosseum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back