Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe so, but does this look like 1982?

Although now I say that out loud, we are the Old Boys after all 😂

Maybe I need to knock off all the "old computer guy" stories...

1724947114274.jpeg

IBM 38xx printers and System/390 mainframes used 8" floppies right up until they were end-of-life in the mid-00s.

Ah yes, I had the joy of working on S/370 stuff at that same employer. Long Live greenbar paper!

Never did any 8080 stuff, Z80 was my entry point. I thought CP/M* was the bees knees.

That TV box I mentioned was Z80-based, I got pretty good at Z80 assembler.

Our development used a Z80 EPROM DIP* package, I can still smell the ozone generated by the UV eraser.

* For the non-nerds, Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory gets erased through exposure to ultraviolet rays via a little window on top, here's a picture of someone else's Dual Inline Package Z80 chip:

1724948374927.png

I still have my Police greatest hits cassette tape mate. It's gathered a fair bit of dust now i'd say but it's still somewhere around my house anyway.:laughv1:

Sheeit, talk about my bad timing.

I was still pretty heavily into tape trees in the 90s, and bought a super zoot Sony 4 motor cassette deck with Dolby S and all that for dubbing and listening.

This was about a year before CD-R drive and media prices dropped to non-stratospheric levels, making fully digital ripping & trading possible, changing the bootleg trees forever.

Now this song always gets me into a good mood. God help the neighbours whenever the Blues win that flag.

I'll have it turned up to full blast volume i'd say!:laughv1: 2009 is actually fifteen years ago now, the years really do fly by.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually have a load of these AI camels on standby, but i'll just release them for public viewing on a gradual basis.

Anyway here is some Blues fans talking about our season to date, and our chances against the Lions next week.:laughv1:

457361675_1671486566726693_1842124843411929778_n.jpg

Sheeit, talk about my bad timing.

I was still pretty heavily into tape trees in the 90s, and bought a super zoot Sony 4 motor cassette deck with Dolby S and all that for dubbing and listening.

This was about a year before CD-R drive and media prices dropped to non-stratospheric levels, making fully digital ripping & trading possible, changing the bootleg trees forever.
I actually had one of these things as made famous from the Home Alone movies. I used it to record music from the radio.

I have home recordings from Irish radio going as far back as 1996 at the very least.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Even better. Be a tight arse and use your mum's.

:$

To be fair, my journo friend lets me use theirs so I am kind of in that boat, but we can all agree Kayon has gone to shit

Just the 11 on ballers named in the AA team.
At least they named a winger this year.

A minor improvement. Some huge omissions though (to get the VIC bias in ofc), to both the final and extended squad.

Unpopular opinion. Merrett is overrated.
Would have him at my club, absolutely, I'd comfortably leave him out of that team.
He had an ordinary 2nd half of the season, right after i put him in my supercoach team.

He had an ordinary 2nd half of the season, right after i put him in my supercoach team.

Having the C on him throughout the middle of the year cost me a top 2 spot in my dynasty home league. Thankfully I have Neale and Bont as cover :p

Having the C on him throughout the middle of the year cost me a top 2 spot in my dynasty home league. Thankfully I have Neale and Bont as cover :p
Both times i made him captain he scored under 90 pts, he goes onto my never again list.

Our development used a Z80 EPROM DIP* package, I can still smell the ozone generated by the UV eraser.

* For the non-nerds, Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory gets erased through exposure to ultraviolet rays via a little window on top, here's a picture of someone else's Dual Inline Package Z80 chip:
Lol! Back when Amstrad computers were a thing, they had a promotion where you could trade in anything electrical for a $50 discount off a new CPC464 or CPC6128.

toaster.jpg

Someone brought one of these old toasters into the shop as a tradein. Just for shits and giggles I printed out AMSTRAD EEPROM BURNER labels and stuck them on. The sales rep who collected the tradeins thought it was a hoot and I won an Amstrad sports bag - which I still use for my training gear.

* For the non-nerds, EEPROMs are Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back