Season defining five round block

Where will the Crows sit after these five games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Expect Max King to return and kick 7.0 against us then 13.23 for the rest of the season.

In the optimistic scenario, I can see us winning all of them except Geelong at Geelong - we are comically bad over there, much harder to win there than even Tasmania. Every year when we're doing well we think this is finally the year we win at Kardinia Park and it doesn't happen.

But in the pessimistic scenario, I can't see us losing all of them - I think we will jag at least one even if the Hawthorn game was the beginning of out fall back to Earth. In my view, the most likely scenario is that we win two, maybe St Kilda and Brisbane.

Cats in Geelong is always a tough one, they've been a bit hit and miss with a slow start to the season but have come right back in to form now. I'd say that's a 30-70 game in their favour.
Welcome!

But I think it's more like 95-5 in their favour. I don't gamble but it's very tempting to put money on the Cats, such is the regularity of beating us over there.

Hey guys, long time lurker but first time posting here... We are looking very good at the moment but no doubt there are some tough games ahead of us. I have us beating St. Kilda, the Dogs and Brisbane. Think we've got too much power up forward and except the Dogs in Ballarat, at home we should have the edge. Cats in Geelong is always a tough one, they've been a bit hit and miss with a slow start to the season but have come right back in to form now. I'd say that's a 30-70 game in their favour. Collingwood look hard to beat and I feel are playing with a similar style of play to us at the moment and riding high on confidence. But I like our chances at home! 60-40 our way that one I reckon Rankine will kick a bag. They've struggled a bit against smalls this year with Charlie Cameron getting off the leash a bit in Brisbane and I reckon we can take advantage of it!

I'll be satisfied with 3-2 but optimistic we can go 4-1

30-70? Wow, just wow, reckon 10-90 is more appropriate.

Even when we were dominant in the comp we rarely won down there.

Geez, that is a hard run! We would go in underdogs in all of them at this point, but plenty of reason for optimism with the way the team is playing.

If we can win 2 that would put is in a decent position with Suns in Darwin and Eagles at home going into the bye. 8-5 would be an excellent position to be in.

Now I've gone and looked ahead and done the ladder predictor. We finish 7th on 14-9 and play the Swans in the Elimination Final. We then defeat Melbourne and Collingwood on our way to play Geelong on Grand Final day. Too early to predict who'll win that.

Rnd 7 vs Collingwood at Adelaide Oval
Rnd 8 vs Geelong at GMHBA
Rnd 9 vs St Kilda at Adelaide Oval
Rnd 10 vs Bulldogs at Ballarat
Rnd 11 vs Brisbane at Adelaide Oval

I think we'll push Collingwood. Not sure we can beat them but I think we'll come out looking good.
Geelong at Goomba is just a flat no. Always nice to have a guaranteed L in your calendar every year.
St Kilda I don't think are as good as they look. I'd back us in more here than Collingwood.
Bulldogs I reckon we can win, should win.
Brisbane look crash hot when they show up. Will depend if they do down here because they don't always travel that well.

If you jag 1 of those 3 at home you'd be pretty happy I think. Terrible tipper but I'll pencil in St Kilda for the win. Then throw in the WB game and we go 2-3 which takes us to 6-5, with a game against GC in Darwin, and WC at home to take us to the bye.

Even if we go 1-4 but then come back and beat the Coasts, we head into the bye 7-6.

Unfortunately it doesn't get that much easier after the bye. Some massive away games that could get ugly. Bris, Melb, Ess and Coll all away.

I don't gamble but it's very tempting to put money on the Cats, such is the regularity of beating us over there.
That's generally what they call "unbackable". As in the odds on Geelong are so low the potential benefit is not worth the amount you'd have to outlay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really that season defining?

Lets say we win 0 out of 5.

Lets say we win the rest of the games for the year against bottom 5 teams (which there are 5). That's 9 wins for the season.

If we can jag 1 out of the other 7 we finish the season with 10 wins for the year and show nice natural progression onwards from last years 8 wins.

Anything more is a bonus.
It’s season defining in the sense it defines if we are looking at a team capable of more than just a good natural upward progression

This 5 rounds is certainly season defining of if we have come along so much that we are a genuine finals contender.

But your right, when measuring against pre season expectation it has little bearing on season defining

Not dire consequences but if they can win 2 of 5 then reckon that will set them up to get into 8th spot by the end of the home & away season, if they go 1-4 or 0-5 reckon they’re then looking at finishing 10th-12th instead.

Even with this year’s improvements I still don’t have much faith in the team’s away form & given the 28% win record in away matches since 2021 big improvements are still needed when playing away so winning at least 2 of the 3 home games a must.

Last edited:
Is it really that season defining?

Lets say we win 0 out of 5.

Lets say we win the rest of the games for the year against bottom 5 teams (which there are 5). That's 9 wins for the season.

If we can jag 1 out of the other 7 we finish the season with 10 wins for the year and show nice natural progression onwards from last years 8 wins.

Anything more is a bonus.
Season defining in terms of playing finals, our core playing group is still young and we've seen what happened to Fremantle who probably played finals too early.

Most of us I imagine are pleasantly surprised to find us sitting 4-2 after six rounds. Sure, all fans are hopeful going into each season but even perennial optimists like Jenny, Mego Red and myself didn't foresee the strong, exciting brand of football we are playing. We dispatched Port Powers, Fremantle and Carlton in style.

Most would have been anticipating a mid-table finish in 2023 but here we are, perched near the top four and with only a few teams really standing out so far.

However the next five games are testing encounters:
Rnd 7 vs Collingwood at Adelaide Oval
Rnd 8 vs Geelong at GMHBA
Rnd 9 vs St Kilda at Adelaide Oval
Rnd 10 vs Bulldogs at Ballarat
Rnd 11 vs Brisbane at Adelaide Oval

We've had the 'easy' bit of our season - before our youngsters hit the wall, before our oldies run out of steam, before the opposition have a proper look at us, the four home game stretch, practically no injuries. Even no-hopers like the Suns and Carlton have had good starts to seasons recently but couldn't go the distance. Can we?

Where do you see us sitting after these five rounds? Will our style of football stand up against some of the better teams? Will our older guys be able to keep having a positive impact? Will our kids last 23 rounds? Will we be able to bounce back if we cop a loss or two?
2 wins would be a good result, anything more would be truly huge for our belief and finals chances.

Realistically we are playing 4 of the top 5 flag faves, only Dees not in there.

Pies are in amazing form and a better more complete side than us. Our best hope is the short turn around after a huge emotional victory yesterday. We are paying 2.32 for the win but I think it’s closer than that and close to a 50/50 game.

Cats not worth discussing - loss.

We need to beat either Lions or Saints at home. My bet is Saints as rate Lions as one of the “ Big 3” come end of year with Cars and Dees.

Bullies we fluked one last year but certainly won’t go in as faves at that crap hole.

Realistically we may not go in as favourites for any of these 5 and it could get ugly with zero or only one win unfortunately But the ever optimist hopes for 2 or more wins

For 32 years Collingwood have owned us.. cant see that changing this sunday. we havent beaten them since 2016.
Geelong.. forget it
Saints, 50/50.. we can win that one
Dogs, will be tough over there but we are a sneaky chance
Lions, 50/50.. they dont travel well.

I think we can win 1 or 2 out of the next 5.

Season defining in terms of playing finals, our core playing group is still young and we've seen what happened to Fremantle who probably played finals too early.

No such thing as "played finals too early". Freos issue was their side got gutted with players leaving.

The only guaranteed loss is Geelong, it's a Saturday afternoon game so take your spouse, friend, kids or dog to the pub and face away from the screen.

If it does get close, expect 4 umpires to go legally blind and use their gut feel ie. "Guthrie is in the D50, took 6 steps, got caught, the ball missed his boot, it trickled away, everyone stood there waiting for the whistle.... buuuuuuuut it just didnt feel like right y'know? I'll say play on and pay a dissent free kick for arms out instead, that fits better"

2/2 for the remainder is fine

I think we'll push Collingwood. Not sure we can beat them but I think we'll come out looking good.
Geelong at Goomba is just a flat no. Always nice to have a guaranteed L in your calendar every year.
St Kilda I don't think are as good as they look. I'd back us in more here than Collingwood.
Bulldogs I reckon we can win, should win.
Brisbane look crash hot when they show up. Will depend if they do down here because they don't always travel that well.

If you jag 1 of those 3 at home you'd be pretty happy I think. Terrible tipper but I'll pencil in St Kilda for the win. Then throw in the WB game and we go 2-3 which takes us to 6-5, with a game against GC in Darwin, and WC at home to take us to the bye.

Even if we go 1-4 but then come back and beat the Coasts, we head into the bye 7-6.

Unfortunately it doesn't get that much easier after the bye. Some massive away games that could get ugly. Bris, Melb, Ess and Coll all away.
We almost beat the Pies at home last year and they had a better team then than they do now, and we had a worse team then than we do now. Reckon if our attitude is right we'll knock them off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season defining five round block

Back