Preview Semi Final - Geelong vs GWS, Fri 3 Sept @ 1950 (AEST), Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lots of talk around the likes of Kolodjashnij, Dahlhaus, Bews, Henderson, Simpson etc. They are all rightfully a talking point but we will need much better games from the likes of Guthrie, Selwood, Dangerfield, Menegola, Hawkins and Cameron to beat GWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. Need everyone playing well, but your better players will typically swing the result in your favour if they're playing well.

Watched the goals from first half last week.

Horrendous kick from Guthrie and poor attempt to recover from Henderson.

Lovely goal from Robbie Gray, not much we could do.

Horrible dump kick from Kolo to Alir leading to turnover and goal

Horrible Blicavs kick to Simpson and poor kick from Simpson to Alir.

Shocking Danger cross field kick and dropped chest mark from Henderson.

Another poor flailing mark attempt from Henderson.

Two defenders flew under it and let ball out the back to Marshall.

Kolo fell over and let his man take a simple mark.

My initial view of game was we got smashed around the ball but the errors in back half were quite unbelievable in retrospect.

Tommy Stewart was a big loss….
Not to mention there other scoring shots. It was turnovers in the GF and turnovers in the last final. Many of which had little to do with pressure. Decisions and execution were horrendous.

Overwhelmed by Pressure sounds much better though. They played well Port and we were utterly disgraceful. Their pressure was good but on the “pressure metre” it was only average.

Not to mention there other scoring shots. It was turnovers in the GF and turnovers in the last final. Many of which had little to do with pressure. Decisions and execution were horrendous.

Overwhelmed by Pressure sounds much better though. They played well Port and we were utterly disgraceful. Their pressure was good but on the “pressure metre” it was only average.

Yet it was enough to overwhelm us.

Yet it was enough to overwhelm us.
That’s my point. Did it overwhelm us or did we just shoot ourselves in the face.

I’d have an easier time with the occasion overwhelming us than Port. And I don’t want to downplay Port who played very well and their pressure was good but it was hardly a tsunami as some suggest. The stats don’t back that up and neither did the eye.

That’s my point. Did it overwhelm us or did we just shoot ourselves in the face.

I’d have an easier time with the occasion overwhelming us than Port. And I don’t want to downplay Port who played very well and their pressure was good but it was hardly a tsunami as some suggest. The stats don’t back that up and neither did the eye.

I tend to agree with your take here. I would only add that they ended up looking emboldened by how easily we were crumbling under their middling pressure to then ratchet up their pressure game even further. Which of course resulted in even more panic and indecision in our ranks.

These two aspects working 'together' made for seriously ugly viewing as a Cats fan as the game went on. Which was all summed up for me in the text I got back from my Port-supporting mate after sending him a congratulatory message on the final siren...

'Thanks, mate. Good game to watch.'

:sick::sick::sick:

The two go hand in hand.

We try to execute a gameplan that requires elite skill and composure.

But we're fragile under the weight of expectation, and any semblance of sustained pressure.

With that, the demons rear their heads, we lose composure, and then our skills suffer.

Game over.

who apparently do we have as a superstar in the VFL that is going to make a difference in a final??
We see things similarly.
The whole team was off on Friday- and that is on them, but we have little in the way of replacements jumping out and demanding to be selected.
We deserved a second chance, and now all our games are elimination finals, be that 1, 2 or 3.
We must expect that our players actually play to their true standards this week, and if Danger is significantly hampered by his hand, we have beaten decent teams without him this year- let him watch. But Selwood said Danger would definitely be right to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the toughest game to predict this one.
I can see Geelong winning by 30+ but at the same time, something is saying it will be very close.

I'm worried if Phil Davis plays. Even if he's not match fit, it just gives them one man loose to play as the interceptor. That being Taylor or Haynes. You can see why we want to bring in Ratugolea. Hopefully he plays in place of Rohan.

It's the toughest game to predict this one.
I can see Geelong winning by 30+ but at the same time, something is saying it will be very close.

I'm worried if Phil Davis plays. Even if he's not match fit, it just gives them one man loose to play as the interceptor. That being Taylor or Haynes. You can see why we want to bring in Ratugolea. Hopefully he plays in place of Rohan.
Ratugolea doesnt solve any problems because no opposition actually pays him any respect, we saw that when Hawk got double teamed constantly while Jezza was out.

Ratugolea doesnt solve any problems because no opposition actually pays him any respect, we saw that when Hawk got double teamed constantly while Jezza was out.

Haynes and Taylor are going to be good enough to keep Cameron and Hawkins contained. They are terrific defenders so it's really upto that third forward like Rohan who needs to kick a couple of goals and create major headaches. Can you trust him to do it?

and don't forget about Steve Johnson, he's a big reason why GWS have got a hold of us recently. His insight has allowed them to find the right match up's. I'm sure he knows all of Cameron's strengths & weaknesses so it's a little crucial element that bolsters GWS' preparedness.

and don't forget about Steve Johnson, he's a big reason why GWS have got a hold of us recently. His insight has allowed them to find the right match up's. I'm sure he knows all of Cameron's strengths & weaknesses so it's a little crucial element that bolsters GWS' preparedness.

Regarding your first sentence with the idea of Stevie J playing a role in how GWS has gone against us recently - are you referring to only this year because this is his first year of being an assistant coach at GWS after 3 years at Sydney

GWS have won the last 3 matches against us and those go back to before he was a coach with them

And as for knowledge of Cameron, I'd say the other coaches at GWS have a better idea of how he plays compared with Johnson's knowledge

Lol, that's optimistic. We've been hot garbage for all but around 4 of the last 12 quarters of football

*it has been 12 quarters since Stewart played

You're playing a team that's probably 12th best in the league if you take into account the long list of players they don't have. This game will be over at quarter time.

Haynes and Taylor are going to be good enough to keep Cameron and Hawkins contained. They are terrific defenders so it's really upto that third forward like Rohan who needs to kick a couple of goals and create major headaches. Can you trust him to do it?

Not from the backline, no.

Regarding your first sentence with the idea of Stevie J playing a role in how GWS has gone against us recently - are you referring to only this year because this is his first year of being an assistant coach at GWS after 3 years at Sydney

GWS have won the last 3 matches against us and those go back to before he was a coach with them

And as for knowledge of Cameron, I'd say the other coaches at GWS have a better idea of how he plays compared with Johnson's knowledge

My mistake.
I thought he was back with them last year.

Johnson was with the Giants for a number of years with J.Cameron was he not?
And you are going to tell me a hall of fame forward in his own right won't divulge in a past players strength and weaknesses, yeh right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back