SFL – MSJFL proposed merger. Has the VAFA been stiffed?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon 88.3 Southern FM will be worthwhile listening to on the radio when the two local footy shows-The Southern Football League Show and VAFA Sunday come back in time for the start of the footy season. No doubt it'll be interesting to hear what Darryl Pitman on The Southern Football League Show, Tom Brain & Steve McCarthy on VAFA Sunday say about the Code Report, and the repercussion the Code Report might have on the respective competitions.

As 'superfreak' said, Darryl hasn't appeared on Sundays for awhile. A big loss as he is very sharp. It's a pity the various local footy shows have rolled-up for the year. It would have been interesting to have heard their take on the report. I'm tipping that most would have grasped its significance and implications unlike one character here who consistently misses the point. Evening, Brian!;)

Easy Jase, the facts are that the SFL is next to the worst comp in Victoria, and the VAFA is the best, regardless of what some peanuts on here say.
A team of Amateurs beat a team of highly paid Eastern Leaguers last year remember, oh how that must hurt, and our lower grade rep team flogged the finest from the SFL every time they played that the VAFA looked elsewhere.
I know your bro is at the Hampton Hammers, but really, who the hell are they?

You really don't get the point of this thread & the ramifications that the merger will have on the VAFA, do you?

I hope for the VAFA's sake that not everyone has their head stuck up their arse with opinions like yours :cool:

But congrats on being apart of the strongest league in Victoria though :thumbsu:

If the VAFA had started up their own Umpires Academy to off-set the losses when the likes of Tim Sutcliffe and Sacha Koffman and the more exprienced umpires such as Wayne Hinton and Mark Gibson retire in the years to come, and if the SFL/MSJFL merger gets off the ground and most of the MSJFL umpirs link to the SFL senior umpires panel, the VAFAUA wouldn't have a problem in regards to umpire numbers in the years to come. Especially when the SFL/MSJFL merger gets stronger each year, the VAFA may not have enough umpires left to fill the gaps.

Give it a rest Jase, we have a highly paid umpires adviser who is doing a great job. Sniper, you are a flog, Im sure all leagues are shaking in their boots at a merger between a junior league that has 50% affiliated with the VAFA and the SFL.
Sniper, the SFL stands for the Shit Football league and always will, however you want to dress it up.

Give it a rest Jase, we have a highly paid umpires adviser who is doing a great job. Sniper, you are a flog, Im sure all leagues are shaking in their boots at a merger between a junior league that has 50% affiliated with the VAFA and the SFL.
Sniper, the SFL stands for the Shit Football league and always will, however you want to dress it up.

long_facepalm.gif

Hahaha I'm the flog?? You just don't get it, do you? We know that the SFL is no way near as strong as the VAFA in comparsion, but that not what the thread is about

Its people like yourself as well as the VAFA admin who think their almighty & powerful who can't see the bigger picture. Tell me, where are the VAFA going to get their umpires from in 5 years time? They've just had their junior umpire feeder program stripped of them. The VAFA will be the strongest league umpired by club officals, which will be embarrassing for them.

Not many want to umpire anymore due to the abuse from players/clubs/crowds as it is & we're already seeing C Section having to umpire themselves in the Reserves, which should be a non negotible for such a powerful league. What going to happen in 5 years time, cull D4? Not that that will worry you.

I hope now you're up to speed & on the same page with everyone else, even if you're a little on the slow side. I'd start listening to Ammo Man & Jascave, if I were you

Sniper, thanks for putting me in the same boat as the VAFA admin, people who would play most posters on this board on a break.
Nothing has been adopted, and nothing has been stripped from the VAFA, just because the MSJFL MAY align with the SFL means sweet FA.
Like junior footballers playing in that comp, those umpires too will have a choice where they may want to go in the future, and I can guarantee both you and Ammo Man that like most players, they will gravitate to the higher level to get the best out of themselves, which, by your own admissions, will not be the SFL, so thanks for your dramatisations and an article from a local rag where the SFL is stronger, and move on.

Easy Jase, the facts are that the SFL is next to the worst comp in Victoria, and the VAFA is the best, regardless of what some peanuts on here say.
A team of Amateurs beat a team of highly paid Eastern Leaguers last year remember, oh how that must hurt, and our lower grade rep team flogged the finest from the SFL every time they played that the VAFA looked elsewhere.
I know your bro is at the Hampton Hammers, but really, who the hell are they?

The result you speak of was less than a goal, and the difference was the EFL side was made up from about the top 4 teams with the most cash, Vermont, Noble Park and a couple of others. Players in the VAFA may not be paid for playing, but you're unlikely to get a stockbroking gig by playing for an EFL club either, so that's not an entirely fair assesment you make. I still think best clubs in the EFL would beat the best clubs in the VAFAbut in reality it doesn't really matter. The standard of each competition is irrelevant when it comes to which is better run.

There are 72 clubs in the VAFA funding the O/S and interstate trips made by rep sides and senior management, however these sides are made up from representative of probably only 15-20 clubs at best. Why should clubs in the lower grades be funding these trips?

Every club pays the same affiliation fees, so why should St Francis Xavier or Power House be footing the bill things that by their nature, will never entice someone to play for them than say Bentleigh in the SFL?

About 60% of the clubs are in D grade or below. Shouldn't they expect 60% of the funding and if they're not going to get it, why shouldn't they consider going to another comparable competition, say Div 1 SFL = D1 VAFA, and get an equal split? The size of the VAFA is where much of it's strength comes from, and pivitol for it to remain as the premier suburban competition.

Local amateur football isn't all about standard especially below the Premier grades, for many clubs, it's simply about getting guys out on the park each Saturday and being competitive

Picture this: it's the 2016 Premier C Grand Final between AJAX and Old Camberwell. Instead of two 'neutral' umpires controlling this game, it would instead be done by two club officials-one from AJAX, one from Old Camberwell. The complaints about the standard of umpiring in this game goes on and on, yet the VAFA says 'our hands are tied, there's nothing we can do about it, because we don't have enough umpires.'

This is exactly what would happen if the SFL/MSJFL merger gets off the ground.

Picture this: it's the 2016 Premier C Grand Final between AJAX and Old Camberwell. Instead of two 'neutral' umpires controlling this game, it would instead be done by two club officials-one from AJAX, one from Old Camberwell. The complaints about the standard of umpiring in this game goes on and on, yet the VAFA says 'our hands are tied, there's nothing we can do about it, because we don't have enough umpires.'

With this kind of journalism Jase, you should apply for a job at the Herald Sun or Daily Telegraph, perhaps even hit up A Current Affair for a TV gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've enjoyed reading your input Jase. You certainly have a much better grasp of the implications of the report than Brian, who shows all the indications of not having read it. That said, you're proposed scenario is over the top. What has occurred to date is that umpires are flowing from the MSJFL into the SFL and that's pre-merge. What has also occurred to date is that the SFL has a surfeit of umpires whereas the VAFA is struggling – particularly for goal and boundary umpires. This may not be of concern to Brian but the incoming Prez of the VAFA umps has tagged the recruitment and retention of umps as a major issue.

However, the issue of umpires merely serves as an illustration of the adverse impact the merge could have on our comp. There are many other flow-on benefits to the SFL too. And although the report recognises we are a ”stakeholder”, the VAFA is only to be ”periodically updated on the progress of the merge”. To me that effectively deals us out of a significant change to local football that directly affects the VAFA.

As most have grasped, it's not about which comp has the best players, or whether the VAFA will continue to be a force, it's about which organisation is the most progressive and seen to be the most progressive.

This might just be the wake-up call the VAFA needs right now. Instead of self-congratulating each other (ie re-changing the names of each section) and not worrying about the looming threat over the horizon (SFL/MSJFL merger) and sending rep sides overseas, the VAFA should instead tackle this issue head-on. Maybe have a series of meetings not just at VAFA Board level, but also with the clubs that may have a major knock-on effect at junior level and who have teams in the MSJFL (AJAX, Beaumaris, Hampton Rovers), to get some idea into what would happen if-and I mean the word IF-the merger gathers full steam.

Brian should be back typing away soon - Dr Phil show has finished for today:D:D:D. Myself, I'm just fluffing up the cushions for the afternoon episode of Play School.:p

Not a lot of love for the SFL at a MSJFL meeting on Wednesday, the only one really for it was a guy from East Malvern who also happens to be on the board of the SFL ! They need 75% of the MSJFL clubs to support it otherwise its a no goer. Interesting that Peter Schwab is leaving FV, i wonder whether Wayne Holdsworth will apply for the top job.

Not a lot of love for the SFL at a MSJFL meeting on Wednesday, the only one really for it was a guy from East Malvern who also happens to be on the board of the SFL ! They need 75% of the MSJFL clubs to support it otherwise its a no goer. Interesting that Peter Schwab is leaving FV, i wonder whether Wayne Holdsworth will apply for the top job.

Interesting stuff. Methinks that if AFL Vic want it to happen it will cos the MSJFL is currently a millstone around its neck - both financially and in other ways. It can no longer operate as a stand alone entity. As for W.H, as good as he's been for the SFL, he'd be way down the pecking order I'd reckon.

Every club pays the same affiliation fees, so why should St Francis Xavier or Power House be footing the bill things that by their nature, will never entice someone to play for them than say Bentleigh in the SFL?

1. Not entirely correct, affiliation fees are calculated on a sliding scale depending upon which grade you're in and whether it's senior, U19, U18 or Club XVIII.

Pretty sure Premier clubs pay higher affiliation fees than those in the grades below.

2. Jase - no way known the 2016 C section GF will be between AJAX and Old Camberwell, if I have anything to do about it. As for Hampton Rovers...well....

3. anyone who think it's a calamity that Premier C reserve games are umpired by club umpires clearly know bugger all about the history of our competition. Having played (sadly) a sh!teload of A reserve games from 1994 to 2006, I can safely say we had club appointed umpires for every single one of them that I was involved with.

4. the SFL would run something like 15 or 16 senior fixture and the same number of reserve games every Saturday, a total of 30-32 games. The VAFA run 70-odd senior/reserve, plus another 25 Thirds/Club XVIII, then throw in the U19s and U18s.

Comparing oranges and apples if you ask me.

This might just be the wake-up call the VAFA needs right now. Instead of self-congratulating each other (ie re-changing the names of each section) and not worrying about the looming threat over the horizon (SFL/MSJFL merger) and sending rep sides overseas, the VAFA should instead tackle this issue head-on. Maybe have a series of meetings not just at VAFA Board level, but also with the clubs that may have a major knock-on effect at junior level and who have teams in the MSJFL (AJAX, Beaumaris, Hampton Rovers), to get some idea into what would happen if-and I mean the word IF-the merger gathers full steam.

Jas, without giving to much away, have you heard of sub-contractors??

Watch this space, that's why VAFA are not to worried at the moment.

Just going out into my swimming 'POOL'

1. Not entirely correct, affiliation fees are calculated on a sliding scale depending upon which grade you're in and whether it's senior, U19, U18 or Club XVIII.

Pretty sure Premier clubs pay higher affiliation fees than those in the grades below.

You are correct scribe, the affiliation fees are based on the number of teams enetered. So clubs with Club XVIII, U19 and U18 do pay more, however I am lead to beleive that a senior / reserve affiliation fees are the same for all grades (A&B may have a higher umpire component as they get more umpires), but that is still at the essence of my argument, it's effectively a 'per team' affiliation cost for something most lower sides will never use.

2. Jase - no way known the 2016 C section GF will be between AJAX and Old Camberwell, if I have anything to do about it. As for Hampton Rovers...well....

3. anyone who think it's a calamity that Premier C reserve games are umpired by club umpires clearly know bugger all about the history of our competition. Having played (sadly) a sh!teload of A reserve games from 1994 to 2006, I can safely say we had club appointed umpires for every single one of them that I was involved with.

4. the SFL would run something like 15 or 16 senior fixture and the same number of reserve games every Saturday, a total of 30-32 games. The VAFA run 70-odd senior/reserve, plus another 25 Thirds/Club XVIII, then throw in the U19s and U18s.

Comparing oranges and apples if you ask me.

Good to have you back Scribe The one thing you’re correct on is the affiliation fees are on a sliding scale :

Total affiliation fees for season 2010 were as follows:

A – seniors and reserves - $14,006.35 (plus $1,400.64 GST)
B – seniors and reserves - $13,724.60 (plus $1372.46 GST)
C – seniors and reserves - $11,528.56 (plus $1152.86 GST)
D1 – seniors and reserves - $9,436.49 (plus $943.65 GST)
D2 - seniors and reserves - $9,035.16 (plus $903.52 GST)
D3 – seniors and reserves - $8,873.37 (plus $887.34 GST)
D4 - seniors and reserves - $8,509.74 (plus $850.98 GST)
Third XVIII - $4,331.74 (plus $433.18 GST)
Under 19 - $5,194.17 (plus $519.42 GST)
Under 19 (2nd team) - $3732.79 (plus $373.28 GST)
Under 18 (new 2010 teams) - Nil
Under 18 (2009 teams) - 2500 (plus $250 GST)
Club XVIII - $3,819 (plus $381 GST)

As for point 3, we’re not talking about reserves here. We’re talking about senior games in Premier ‘C’ and below. If you think there’s not a major problem in that area - particularly with boundary and goal umpires - you’re way out of touch. I know the VAFA umpires recognise it.

You’re an intelligent man but surprisingly to me your point 4 shows a lack of understanding of the issues at play, which I’m not going over again as I've done that ad infinitum here.

The MSJFL will be having their AGM next Tuesday night. It'll be interesting to see how that meeting will go, especially when the merger question is put up for discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL – MSJFL proposed merger. Has the VAFA been stiffed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back