SFL – MSJFL proposed merger. Has the VAFA been stiffed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to have you back Scribe The one thing you’re correct on is the affiliation fees are on a sliding scale :

Total affiliation fees for season 2010 were as follows:

As for point 3, we’re not talking about reserves here. We’re talking about senior games in Premier ‘C’ and below. If you think there’s not a major problem in that area - particularly with boundary and goal umpires - you’re way out of touch. I know the VAFA umpires recognise it.

You’re an intelligent man but surprisingly to me your point 4 shows a lack of understanding of the issues at play, which I’m not going over again as I've done that ad infinitum here.

I stand corrected

The MSJFL will be having their AGM next Tuesday night. It'll be interesting to see how that meeting will go, especially when the merger question is put up for discussion.

what was the msjfl meeting last wednesday where bedford mentioned there wasn't much love for the sfl, jase?

if the merge happens it will significantly expand the size of the sfl, especially if the mjsfl is re-branded sjfl as is the chatter. you do have to hand it to them they have done a lazarus.

what was the msjfl meeting last wednesday where bedford mentioned there wasn't much love for the sfl, jase?

if the merge happens it will significantly expand the size of the sfl, especially if the mjsfl is re-branded sjfl as is the chatter. you do have to hand it to them they have done a lazarus.

I agree. The way the Southern Football League have turned their fortunes around in a few years is nothing short of amazing. To think that AFL Victoria was all but ready to close down the SFL only 4-5 years ago. If someone said to you that the SFL would one day merge with the MSJFL 5 years ago, the person who said it would be laughed at.

And now it seems the Southern Football League could complete its 'back-from-the-dead' journey by merging with probably the strongest junior comp in Victoria outside the TAC Cup. Yet the MSJFL is in a dilemma-should it merge with the SFL and therefore upset the VAFA, because of the effect of umpire numbers; or should the MSJFL defy AFL Victoria, reject the merger outright, and have to face the wrath of AFL Victoria who would shut down the MSJFL in retaliation for rejecting the merger-and also face an uncertain financial future as well?

[/b]

I agree. The way the Southern Football League have turned their fortunes around in a few years is nothing short of amazing. To think that AFL Victoria was all but ready to close down the SFL only 4-5 years ago. If someone said to you that the SFL would one day merge with the MSJFL 5 years ago, the person who said it would be laughed at.

And now it seems the Southern Football League could complete its 'back-from-the-dead' journey by merging with probably the strongest junior comp in Victoria outside the TAC Cup. Yet the MSJFL is in a dilemma-should it merge with the SFL and therefore upset the VAFA, because of the effect of umpire numbers; or should the MSJFL defy AFL Victoria, reject the merger outright, and have to face the wrath of AFL Victoria who would shut down the MSJFL in retaliation for rejecting the merger-and also face an uncertain financial future as well?

Jase. You are over dramatising here and some of your comments are way over the top. AFL Vic was never going to shut down the SFL. There have been some improvements in management but they are essentially the same size as they were then. They have raised the bar in some areas but are hardly the benchmark and still have a long way to go. The merger makes sense purely from an admin and geography basis but there will be no repercussions. Ultimately the member clubs will decide. And do you seriously think AFL Vic would ‘shut down the MSJFL’ in retaliation? And I reckon those from the YJFL and the EFL Juniors might question your comment that the MSJFL is the strongest junior league outside the TAC.

Rooster, ease off Jase, he is a good lad. Nothing is going to happen to anyone, the comps may merge but it wont make a little bit of difference to anyone or any club or any umpire or anything else!!!!!

Rooster, ease off Jase, he is a good lad. Nothing is going to happen to anyone, the comps may merge but it wont make a little bit of difference to anyone or any club or any umpire or anything else!!!!!

No offence intended to Jase and I fully respect his opinions and knowledge of all things VAFA. A bit surprised that nearly all MSJFL clubs appear to be against the move.

i am led to believe that the VAFA will open up their offices to the MSJFL if the clubs vote against the merger, which is highly likely as they need 75% of clubs votes to merge.

Trust the Ormond guys to be the ones who are switched on.;)

There has been some disquiet amongst the movers and shakers at the VAFA for some time at the affinity the MSJFL leadership now has with the SFL and how it’s affecting the VAFA. And my understanding is that the VAFA is more than a little miffed that they have been sidelined in the process and that the Code Report has been worded in way that suggests the MSJFL/SFL merger is a fait accompli. One thing all parties appear to agree on is that the MJSFL is no longer viable as a stand alone entity.

Interesting times! Listen and learn Bri-Ron. Or is it Ron-Bri.:D

There has been some disquiet amongst the movers and shakers at the VAFA for some time at the affinity the MSJFL leadership now has with the SFL and how it’s affecting the VAFA. And my understanding is that the VAFA is more than a little miffed that they have been sidelined in the process and that the Code Report has been worded in way that suggests the MSJFL/SFL merger is a fait accompli. One thing all parties appear to agree on is that the MJSFL is no longer viable as a stand alone entity.

And Ammo i can tell you OJFC is 100% against the merger and so are a couple of junior clubs who have links to SFL clubs.

You could say that the MSJFL has been forced into a shotgun marriage with the Southern Football League by AFL Victoria, very much against the wishes of the MSJFL. If this continues well into next year,don't be surprised to see MSJFL officials and volunteers hand out a petition calling for all MSJFL supporters to defy AFL Victoria's demands that the MSJFL merge with the SFL at MSJFL games. Also expect to see VAFA officials go totally against the idea of the merger at AFL Victoria meetings, warning of the impact it would have on umpire numbers and the credibilty of the VAFA comp in general.

I back the VAFA on this issue. Let's see if this merger gets off the ground. If the SFL/MSJFL 'marriage' fails within a few years, not only will VAFA officials breathe a sigh of relief, but will also say to AFL Victoria, 'we told you so.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do mergers between leagues in country Victoria ever get off the ground at all?

Yes they do, other times, one league will fold and all the clubs will join the other league.

Perhaps a better merger would be the MSJFL & DDJFL, creating a big, viable, south eastern suburbs league concentrating solely on junior football

Do mergers between leagues in country Victoria ever get off the ground at all?
Club/League, Country/Metro mergers have been going on for decades as our game shrinks. Who knows where we will be in say 5 years time. Doveton sharing a beer with St Johns... Black Rock & Hampton beach buddies, St Kilda City & Ajax doing the Carlisle Street Rd shuffle, Bentleigh convincing Murrumbeena that their jumper is no bargaining tool, St Marys - St Leo's somehow shortening their club name. Ormond - Caulfield opening the bear cave on a Sunday night. Not sure the Ammo's care

Who cares if they merge? How many clubs does it actually affect. There are 72 senior teams in the ammos and I'm sure it only affects a handful.

If the ammos are so worried about getting umps from the juniors then why don't they target the biggest junior comp in Australia in order to get umps - Yarra District Junior Football League. This covers sides from Greensborough to Richmond to Cantebury and Im sure that the majority of the players playing in the ammos at the moment have come from this junior competition.

In regards to Bentleigh and travel, etc it was interesting that one of the heads of the ammos said that it is only southern suburban clubs that ever whinge about travel!!

The southern league is not in the same league as the ammos and will never be a rival of the ammos. Bentleigh were a sfl club and have returned so what!!

The SFL have done a great job in resurrecting the comp, however, they would still rank in standard as either the worst or equal worst standard in metropolitan melb.

The ammos is a great comp and will continue to be whether this merger goes ahead or not is irrelevant!!

When MSJFL officials go to watch a SFL game between St Kilda City and Chelsea Heights, and see all the drinking and the bad language between rival supporters of both clubs (which occasionally could lead to violence), they'll be asking themselves, 'why did we ever merge with this comp?'

Jascave, if you're worried about the SFL being a bad influence on the juniors then needn't worry. I've seen plenty of MSJFL games already involving melée's, brawls & biff. Clubs that are aligned to both VAFA & SFL senior clubs. Kids that threaten adults, use fowl language & light up cigarettes before the game

If the ammos are so worried about getting umps from the juniors then why don't they target the biggest junior comp in Australia in order to get umps - Yarra District Junior Football League. This covers sides from Greensborough to Richmond to Cantebury and Im sure that the majority of the players playing in the ammos at the moment have come from this junior competition.
It's already been targeted. Thats not to say the VAFA couldn't do the same thing.
Eastern FL, are after umpires from Dandenong Juniors, Yarra juniors & when you include their own junior comp, thats a few umpires.

http://hosting2.sportingpulse.com/www.efl.org.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2203&tx_ttnews[backPid]=15&cHash=aed6715602

When MSJFL officials go to watch a SFL game between St Kilda City and Chelsea Heights, and see all the drinking and the bad language between rival supporters of both clubs (which occasionally could lead to violence), they'll be asking themselves, 'why did we ever merge with this comp?'

I have read this thread with interest as an SFL follower. There seems to be this perception that SFL footy is just one big punch on with the occasional goal being kicked, it really is a pretty dated view. I have never seen any of this stuff go on (admittedly haven't been to Doveton much!).

Having been to a couple of the StKC v CH games this year the atmosphere and rivalry at these games was great. I have only been to a handful of Ammo A games so I don't have a lot to go on, but as a local footy experience, enjoying a physical but pretty good standard contest while having a couple of beers and engaging in some banter has a lot more appeal and to me, provides for a more enjoyable environment, than what I felt was a pretty sanitised and passionless atmosphere at the Ammos.

It depends what you are after I suppose, but some people on this board have their head in the sand IMO to think there is not at least some competition being thrown up by the SFL as an alternative offering to the VAFA, and that some people will actually prefer the SFL environment.

Which ever league can pay the umpires the most will get them. Money will always attract the best of any profession.

Spot on no31, but at who's expense? Will the VAFA/SFL kindly incur the increase in umpire's payments themselves or will they just bump up the club affliation fees every year?

I think I already know the answer to this one ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL – MSJFL proposed merger. Has the VAFA been stiffed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back