SFL Division 2 - 2013

Who will win SFL Div 2 Final in 2013

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nigel and Matthew Lappin were recruited straight from Ovens & King! ;) A lot weaker than Ovens & Murray though.

I see the point you're tryng to make. I wasn't trying to be provactive just didn't know what the standard of O&K was compared to SFL Divsion 2 since ODFC stated that he has played in higher leagues.

The guy could be an excellent coach

That was from the Casey-Cardinia division. I meant from the Peninsula Division.

Fitcher at a stretch?

Fitcher was never a gun in peninsula division, just a good player. Would debate too that MPNFL football has dropped over the last few years. YCW would have to be one of the best local footy teams in the state.

Fitcher was never a gun in peninsula division, just a good player. Would debate too that MPNFL football has dropped over the last few years. YCW would have to be one of the best local footy teams in the state.
YCW are a very good side, as are Karingal (and Mounties this year and Seaford in the past few years) but the evenness of the comp has dropped away significantly. The bottom half of teams over the past few years have been total junk. This wasn't the case say 10 years ago.

Call me crazy Superfreak & forgive me for being direct, but what's stopping a merger between Cheltenham seniors & Cheltenham juniors & becoming one club, coming from one who doesnt know the previos history between the two. Maybe both committees joining forces then opening up options getting pro Cheltenham people as coaches, maybe playing some games at Jack Barker Oval & maybe Cheltenham juniors wearing the Rosellas jumper instead of the black one with the green sash. It would make for a better transition from juniors to seniors.

Obviously this is good on theory & I'm not saying that he senior club haven't tried all this before. Have Cheltenham juniors made it clear they'll always be a stand alone junior club? Just seems unfair to lose all that youth to other neighbouring clubs who seem to put certain "personnel" at the right age group to steer the young men away from Wetherall Rd.

The relationship between the seniors and juniors has never been as strong as many would think, as as strong as we would like it to be.

There are a few issues at the junior end with people in high places holding positions at rival senior clubs and in doing, try to limit any relationship we attempt to form with CJFC.

We have had numerous attempts at strengthening the relationship between us and CJFC but keep hitting a roadblock. One of the big issues relates to where the kids go to school. It is generally split between Chelt Sec, St Bedes and Mentone Grammar.

If the majority if kids attended CSC, we would be in a much stringer position to maintain a strong alignment with CJFC, but the fact that a lot of kids attended the other two schools, both whom have junior and senior clubs themselves, creates the issue.

In regards to this years bunch of Colts, we invited last years CJFC Under 17s (lost GF) down to train at our ground during the finals, put on a BBQ for them and had players/coaches attend the majority of games. In the end though, they will all head to Beauy for reasons which have been previously raised. Its disappointing but we all move on.

We have learnt though, one of our players is going to coach the Under 17s at CJFC this year which is good.

Don’t disagree Super. Beauy sniffed the wind about 5 years ago and inserted a Panthers bloke to run their 19s and it proved to be an inspired choice. They do run a pretty good 19s program but you would hate to think it is at the expense of another club, which it appears it might be. There is however a long history of Panthers kids who end up at St Bedes, as that is where a lot of them go to school. Beaumaris have also bitten a few ammo clubs. I know a lot of Haileybury and Mentone Grammar kids have ended up playing 19s at the sharks. As a consequence the 19s of both these clubs have struggled a bit over recent times.

Just on that point both St Bedes and Beauy now have seniors and 19s in the top grades, largely on the back of developing from within and lots of hard work. A fantastic achievement in a comp dominated by strong APS old boys clubs with their extensive networks and contacts. My club is in the same boat, a smaller ACC school. We have to work unbelievably hard on our 19s to stay competitive but would be disappointed if we started pillaging every other club around us.

Fully agree with everything you have said.

Its a great achievement from both clubs to reach the highest grade in the Ammos but as you allude to, they have done so by by acting in a way that is to the detriment of junior footy/participation and fellow local clubs.

Fair point roots, no issue there. More just trying to illustrate that fish is an angry little man with a chip on his shoulder about odfc

I dont know fish personally, but mate its no "chip on his shoulder".
Every club in div2 thinks exactly the same about ODFC. Your club needs to pull their head in on and off the field.
Oakleigh is an embarrassment!

That was from the Casey-Cardinia division. I meant from the Peninsula Division.

Fitcher at a stretch?

Mate, Fitcher was a very good player at Edi As and an excellent player at Bonbeach. I saw him play many times at both clubs and he often turned games due to his own play. People on here that are knocking him wouldnt know. Everyone gets to the point where they are probably past their best but his best was EFL Div 1 standard, not SFL Div 1.

I must say that I'm not a fan of the Colts age change. Definitely a disadvantage for the likes of Skye & the new Carrum as their junior feeders come in after U16's. Maybe a too big a gap to play against a 20 Y.O's? This will also cause more on field dramas, the older colts at 20yo will have an advantage to intimidate both physically & mentally the kids coming straight out of the junior comps. Don't forget that these guys have had 2 years of "life experience" in open age social environments eg pubs, driving, working, etc so they are treated as adults in every other system in the counrty. I believe that it would be an advantage for the clubs & comp if the 19/20yo's to move into the reserves comp as it will strengthen the ressies, expose these young men to "grown up" football that has seen improvement in standard and lowering of average age due to the 3rds comp over the last few years and provide more youthful depth for the senior sides to call on. Also with the 19 & 20yo's playing ressies they will be less likely to be thinking intimidation will provide them with a win over playing a good game of footy! In reality some 20yo's have already committed murder, made a million dollars, got married, had kids of their own........they shouldn't be playing age restricted footy!!
FWIW.

Totally agree,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So getting away from the standard of comps, odfc and the chelt footy club.
Does anyone want to let out of the hat on what players they have recruited thus far?

Former Coach of Black Rock has been doing some typical shifties trying to get his former players to Hampton, and the SFL is onto him.

He ain't going nowhere.......

Elaborate please
I'm guessing it's to do with Beshara trying to get certain players across to Hampton and the one in question I would assume is Mitch Carter. He had attended some pre Christmas training sessions down at the Hammers, but it has now been announced on the Black Rock site that he has signed for season 2013.

Hey Fish,

Just wondering Fish are you the bloke that was mouthing off then got smashed by the Oakleigh bloke in a final at Clayton a couple of years ago? If you were you looked pretty ordinary, you couldn’t take a punch you got dropped like a sack of potatoes.

That was hilarious to see a bloke with such a mouth get dropped.

Then you wonder why the SFL is trying to raise the age level to retain and encourage junior players to play on. It is people like and clubs like ODFC that will eventually result in the death of suburban footy. Hope you and your club are proud of yourselves.

I'm guessing it's to do with Beshara trying to get certain players across to Hampton and the one in question I would assume is Mitch Carter. He had attended some pre Christmas training sessions down at the Hammers, but it has now been announced on the Black Rock site that he has signed for season 2013.
Why would the SFL be involved with this? Surely Hampton can recruit any player they like?

Why would the SFL be involved with this? Surely Hampton can recruit any player they like?

Totally agree with you Melways13 Hampton should be aloud to chase anyone they want. Have to ask OPPORTUNIST why the SFL are supposedly involved. I don't see much wrong with it if he is chasing players he originally brought to Black Rock. It is very common to see players move across with former coaches.

He allegedly put the feelers out Skye way, but they weren't forthcoming. Also been linked to Cheltenham but only rumours. He's apparently not playing the first 2 games due to suspension, may just stay at Oakleigh now that they have a new coach is my assumption

He allegedly put the feelers out Skye way, but they weren't forthcoming. Also been linked to Cheltenham but only rumours. He's apparently not playing the first 2 games due to suspension, may just stay at Oakleigh now that they have a new coach is my assumption
I'm sure they would be hoping he does stay......

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL Division 2 - 2013

Back