SFNL Division 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Caulfield & Chelsea Heights will be the benchmark in 2017.

Expecting Keysborough to improve with Mount Waverley to be around the mark.

Caulfield & Chelsea Heights will be the benchmark in 2017.

Expecting Keysborough to improve with Mount Waverley to be around the mark.

Keysborough after dominating most of 2015, fell away at the business end. Much to the surprise of many they failed to fire a shot in 2016. They need a huge influx of players in 2017.

History suggests that Mount Waverley (the reigning Div 3 Premiers) will end up back in Div 3 either this season or next. I suspect that they will end up in the bottom three and would not be surprised if they went straight back to Div3. Get the feeling they have always preferred being the big fish in the small pond in Div 3. I seem to recall Moorabbin making some big statements a few years ago about how they were going to play finals etc etc. I see they re back in Div 3, along with Doveton. It is a big jump in standard and requires a deeper list of players to cover injuries.

Caulfield and Chelsea Heights will be the pace setters. I expected Chelsea to make the Grand Final, but all credit to Caulfield for an exceptional year. Just hoping that they can take the next step in 2017, because if there was ever a club that deserved it, it is Caulfield.

Murrumbeena after a copping a huge thumping against Port Colts in Round 1 and losing their next two matches, got back on target but ended the season in 6th position after losing the last match to Highett, thereby snuffing out their finals chances. You ignore Murrumbeena at your peril.

East Brighton are the dark horses. They learned a lot from last season, and their kids would have benefited from the experience. Everyone was expecting them to be smashed senselessly week in and week out, but they more than held their own. They are a very resilient club and have the contacts and people that can get them back up fairly quickly, so I would not be expecting them to be down in Div 2 too long.

It is about time that Skye stood up and made themselves known. They have been treading water for the past two years, and they won't get a better chance than 2017 to try and progress into Div 1.

Highett made the finals and threatened at stages in 2016, but fell short at the end. They need to recruit if they want to take the next step. Hampton just missed out on finals but in all reality they don't have the depth.

Springvale and Heatherton have been slowly sliding down the grades and will probably finish with Mt Waverly in the bottom 3.

Keysborough after dominating most of 2015, fell away at the business end. Much to the surprise of many they failed to fire a shot in 2016. They need a huge influx of players in 2017.

History suggests that Mount Waverley (the reigning Div 3 Premiers) will end up back in Div 3 either this season or next. I suspect that they will end up in the bottom three and would not be surprised if they went straight back to Div3. Get the feeling they have always preferred being the big fish in the small pond in Div 3. I seem to recall Moorabbin making some big statements a few years ago about how they were going to play finals etc etc. I see they re back in Div 3, along with Doveton. It is a big jump in standard and requires a deeper list of players to cover injuries.

Caulfield and Chelsea Heights will be the pace setters. I expected Chelsea to make the Grand Final, but all credit to Caulfield for an exceptional year. Just hoping that they can take the next step in 2017, because if there was ever a club that deserved it, it is Caulfield.

Murrumbeena after a copping a huge thumping against Port Colts in Round 1 and losing their next two matches, got back on target but ended the season in 6th position after losing the last match to Highett, thereby snuffing out their finals chances. You ignore Murrumbeena at your peril.

East Brighton are the dark horses. They learned a lot from last season, and their kids would have benefited from the experience. Everyone was expecting them to be smashed senselessly week in and week out, but they more than held their own. They are a very resilient club and have the contacts and people that can get them back up fairly quickly, so I would not be expecting them to be down in Div 2 too long.

It is about time that Skye stood up and made themselves known. They have been treading water for the past two years, and they won't get a better chance than 2017 to try and progress into Div 1.

Highett made the finals and threatened at stages in 2016, but fell short at the end. They need to recruit if they want to take the next step. Hampton just missed out on finals but in all reality they don't have the depth.

Springvale and Heatherton have been slowly sliding down the grades and will probably finish with Mt Waverly in the bottom 3.

Mount waverley team is far better than any team that's gone up in the last couple of years. If they keep the list and get a few players they will be competitive in div2. Having both teams go undefeated shows they have list depth.

Mount waverley team is far better than any team that's gone up in the last couple of years. If they keep the list and get a few players they will be competitive in div2. Having both teams go undefeated shows they have list depth.[/QUOTE

I am not sure how you can make that analysis.Being undefeated in SFL Div 3 (with all due respect) is not something you should be taking to the bank.
True, you can only beat the competition you come up against, but Mt Waverley has a lot of work ahead of them.

By all means, we aren't expecting a similar season as this year (but if we do achieve it.. that would be awesome!).
Our goal at the moment is ensuring all players are re-committing to season 2017 (which about 90% have and expect the rest to do so as well).
Then work on recruiting to improve the list (which there are few we are currently dealing with to make this happen).

I'm not going to comment on where we will finish or where other teams will finish etc, every season is different and I have no idea on who the other clubs have lost/recruited.

But if you are predicting on how we will go next year based on how Black Rock went this year, then by all means you are entitled to do that.
But I can honestly say, if Black Rock faced us this year, they would've lost by 10+ goals in both Seniors and Reserves.
Our sides had seriously improved by that much. We have good depth.

Black Rock lost on average by -44 pts and lost by 10+ goals on 6 occasions. So it wasn't like they were thumped each week.

We won't be aiming to just avoid relegation next year, we will be aiming to play finals. Unsure if we will, but I believe we have the list to do it.
This is based off Players & Officials from Division 2 & Division 1 clubs who saw us play in Finals and remarked on how good our sides play and believe the style & standard we play at is a good enough to push towards finals in Division 2.

We've got quality players and we are well coached.

I don't expect Mount to get relegated. The pathways were put in place over the last couple of years and the year just gone, it clicked for them. They have some classy movers and the big fella up forward who will terrorise some full backs. Stacey back to Mount? Springy are my tip to be relegated next year

By all means, we aren't expecting a similar season as this year (but if we do achieve it.. that would be awesome!).
Our goal at the moment is ensuring all players are re-committing to season 2017 (which about 90% have and expect the rest to do so as well).
Then work on recruiting to improve the list (which there are few we are currently dealing with to make this happen).

I'm not going to comment on where we will finish or where other teams will finish etc, every season is different and I have no idea on who the other clubs have lost/recruited.

But if you are predicting on how we will go next year based on how Black Rock went this year, then by all means you are entitled to do that.
But I can honestly say, if Black Rock faced us this year, they would've lost by 10+ goals in both Seniors and Reserves.

Black Rock lost on average by -44 pts and lost by 10+ goals on 6 occasions. So it wasn't like they were thumped each week.

We won't be aiming to just avoid relegation next year, we will be aiming to play finals. Unsure if we will, but I believe we have the list to do it.
This is based off Players & Officials from Division 2 & Division 1 clubs who saw us play in Finals and remarked on how good our sides play and believe the style & standard we play at is a good enough to push towards finals in Division 2.

Black Rock? Expected them to finish where they did. You are going to have your work cut out for you next year.

I don't expect Mount to get relegated. The pathways were put in place over the last couple of years and the year just gone, it clicked for them. They have some classy movers and the big fella up forward who will terrorise some full backs. Stacey back to Mount? Springy are my tip to be relegated next year

I seem to recall Moorabbin saying the same thing a few years ago.

Doveton went undefeated and finished 5 games clear in 2013, with their reserves winning the flag too and struggled the year after when they went up. There's a serious jump between div 3 finals and div 2 finals.

Moody Blue said:
Black Rock? Expected them to finish where they did. You are going to have your work cut out for you next year.

I'm not expecting it to be easy, I just don't expect us to be push overs.

Polesmoker#2 said:
Doveton went undefeated and finished 5 games clear in 2013, with their reserves winning the flag too and struggled the year after when they went up. There's a serious jump between div 3 finals and div 2 finals.

All reports a fair few key players from their Premiership year left once they went to Div 2 and weren't the same side, which resulted them relegating back down. We don't plan for that to happen to us. But I'm sure Doveton didn't either.

Yes if you keep your list and recruit a couple of players you will definitely push for finals as when we ( Doveton ) went up the first year we lost about 6 senior players from our grand final side and didn't pick up many players so there was around 5 players playing seniors every week that played in our 2s grand final side which only lost 2 games for the year and seniors didn't lose a game all year like mt and we won 6 games first year in div2 and lost around 6 under 3 goals so we weren't far of playing finals if we won a few more of the close games and if we had kept our same side we definitely would of played finals I rate you guys basically the same as us when we went up the key is keeping most of your list and add a couple and we had a few 2s players retired which hurt as well the key is just make sure you have good depth as we found that a big difference most sides in div2 have 4-6 players that can come from the 2s and not be out of the depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heatherton have appointed Chris Keating as Coach. Young guy from Tooradin with a solid network with SEFL players. They should be pretty well cashed up as they haven't spent a lot on players the last couple of years. Could be a smoky for finals.

Black Rock, Doveton, South Yarra, Moorabin all had quality players leave when they went up to Div 2. In some cases the numbers were significant too. In fact it's happened at Moorabin twice I believe, mass exodus when they go up, then all those so called "loyal" players came back when they dropped back down, then left again.

Teams that have gone up and kept or even improved their list, e.g. Skye, Hampton, have proven they can be competitive, and in Skye's case, even challenge for a flag. So to write a team off before they even start just based on history seems short sighted. It seems clear to me the issue with Div 3 winners going up then coming down is not an issue with the "gap qualtiy" but more of an issue with player retention. I think seeing the fall of clubs like Springvale and Ashwood that were not so long ago half decent teams in division one is also proof of that.

Black Rock, Doveton, South Yarra, Moorabin all had quality players leave when they went up to Div 2. In some cases the numbers were significant too. In fact it's happened at Moorabin twice I believe, mass exodus when they go up, then all those so called "loyal" players came back when they dropped back down, then left again.

Teams that have gone up and kept or even improved their list, e.g. Skye, Hampton, have proven they can be competitive, and in Skye's case, even challenge for a flag. So to write a team off before they even start just based on history seems short sighted. It seems clear to me the issue with Div 3 winners going up then coming down is not an issue with the "gap qualtiy" but more of an issue with player retention. I think seeing the fall of clubs like Springvale and Ashwood that were not so long ago half decent teams in division one is also proof of that.
Spot on

I think you identified the problem 'In fact it's happened at Moorabin twice I believe, mass exodus when they go up, then all those so called "loyal" players came back when they dropped back down, then left again'

Much easier to be a big fish in a small pond.

I think you identified the problem 'In fact it's happened at Moorabin twice I believe, mass exodus when they go up, then all those so called "loyal" players came back when they dropped back down, then left again'

That's a player/club culture problem more than anything. If your club culture attracts players that wanna be a big fish, then suffer your own fate when you go up/down like a yo-yo. Sometimes it's players who will play for $0 if they are winning and having fun in the smaller pond, but when they go up and it's not so fun anymore, they want some remuneration for their troubles, and look elsewhere for clubs that can afford it.

As such, sometimes a club might have to bite the bullet and start paying a little bit of $$ when they go up if they want to remain competitive.

It'll be different for every club, but any way you look at it, it all boils down to player retention, regardless of why the players are leaving (money, smaller pond, whatever).

2x edfl div 2 snr players moved to area looking for new home in 2017

inside mid and key position player

both played snrs past 4 years

if anyone knows a good club to look at please let us know

Mount will stay up easily with their current side. On this years teams , they are a much better line up than springy and heatherton and would be very competitive against all but the top div2 sides. If they can add a couple and not lose many they will make a very good case for finals.

They had a better side than Doveton this year and if we had of had this years side when in div 2 the year before, we would be pushing mid table.

Last edited:

There's a few factors influencing relegation though.

Springy and heatherton have hosted finals for the last 3+ years in a row. Thats 30k+ into their budget. That's great for them but Without that ongoing advantage Moorabbin, Doveton or black rock may have hung on and had a chance to stabilise.

With 2 teams being relegated in 2017 you can expect those two clubs to be recruiting heavily this summer.

It's easier to recruit players and sponsors in div 2. Much tougher convincing quality players to come play SFL div 3 footy. Ask Caulfield why they took the opportunity to go up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Division 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back