Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistic to be fair....
If we have 4-5 top 20 picks we wont need the later picks.
We wont be taking 8 players in the draft.
I'd expect a pick to be closer to 50 if we got anything back with 9 and 16. Basically just a token pick Richmond wouldnt be using but we need for list spots

So you agree his 2024 wasn't as good as previous seasons. And we would have to hope that he improves in a better team. He can be a great player but is inconsistent and that is a risk we will have to take.

I do hope we get him. There is some risk. I do think he will be better than in 24 but that doesn't mean he is risk free. It also doesn't mean that 9 and 16 won't sting.

Now show me the gulf between our opinions. I am not the one who said he had a middling year.
No, you said he was better in a better team, so you dont need to hope, but even based on 2024, playing mostly forward in the worst team, if he brought that form to Freo, you are instantly better and you would have played finals.

Now this is an interesting line of thought.

Firstly you acknowledging we would 'definitely get something back' is an acknowledgment it is overs.

Secondly, There are only a handful on that list I would take over Shai.

Something to consider.

Only acknowledging it as with the picks that we currently have, we would rather offer later picks and get something much better in the 1st round.

I suspect acceptable deals could be something like:

9, 16 and Simpson - with maybe pick 47 going back
Or
9, and 10 - with 2 3rds (1 in each year) going back, lets say 39 and F3rd (which could help provide value for Warner next year).

Bearing in mind we would also likely offer $500k per year for the length of his current contract, then thats the overs right there. There would be unlikely that extent of salary cap contribution if we didn't get 9 and 10 included.

IMO, the Shai trade will indicate how confident Freo are of getting Warner. Trade a bit more this year to get salary covered, trade your 16 for Brisbanes F1st and Warner is on IMO.

You could be going into next year with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Brisbane's 1st, Richmonds 3rd and anything else you might trade in.

It's just easy to pick apart a flawed post

There were clearly players in that range that were good.

If you don't rate your list manager to find them then that's another problem but it does change the fact that players will be there

But you can use that on any year, the likelihood of always picking the best players with picks is very low. It just doesn't happen. I'm sure even Freo have had plenty of misses. Its just part and parcel of the game of drafting.

But you can use that on any year, the likelihood of always picking the best players with picks is very low. It just doesn't happen. I'm sure even Freo have had plenty of misses. Its just part and parcel of the game of drafting.
That's not our problem once the picks are traded

I could say pick 1 isn't worth anything as I could end up with a Boyd, Mccartin, Watts, Fraser

At the end of the day you've gotta pick the right player, that's not on Fremantle

Only acknowledging it as with the picks that we currently have, we would rather offer later picks and get something much better in the 1st round.

I suspect acceptable deals could be something like:

9, 16 and Simpson - with maybe pick 47 going back
Or
9, and 10 - with 2 3rds (1 in each year) going back, lets say 39 and F3rd (which could help provide value for Warner next year).

Bearing in mind we would also likely offer $500k per year for the length of his current contract, then thats the overs right there. There would be unlikely that extent of salary cap contribution if we didn't get 9 and 10 included.

IMO, the Shai trade will indicate how confident Freo are of getting Warner. Trade a bit more this year to get salary covered, trade your 16 for Brisbanes F1st and Warner is on IMO.

You could be going into next year with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Brisbane's 1st, Richmonds 3rd and anything else you might trade in.

Simpson would make the deal incredibly one sided. More than 9 & 10. And that is a bridge too far on its own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With you paying all his salary or with the Tiges covering a decent proportion of it?

I think that'll be the difference between 9/10 & 9(or 10)/16 (with possible later picks for both of course).

and of course, that salary isn't mentioned officially, if he goes for 9/10 there will be screams that Freo paid overs (etc), while the reality will be that they paid for a few hundred thousand in cap space with a pick upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back