Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it not be advantageous to have salary component looked after IF you are a genuine chance with The Chad next season?? It would free the shoulders up a bit?
You'd think so but none of us know? Caps are so fluid, maybe we only took up like 1/2 the cap raise on our contracts, maybe we successfully paid a lot of contracts up front, maybe they plan on pushing out Cox or Darcy next year instead?

Interestingly, sounds like we are pushing his deal out an extra year according afl.com.au so you'd think that involves bringing his salary down and while Twomey keeps linking the Barrass trade with potential cap being thrown in, no one's really done it for this potential trade yet.

Not bizarre at all. We don’t know what happened behind the scenes with Baker. Did he say no or did Freo change their mind to chase more favourable players? Were we even seriously chasing Martin ?He would only end up at Peel . We have the best hand of the draft , i find it a“ Bizarre take “ that you reckon they are under pressure
His interactions with Freo players during the last game at OPTUS did not have me convinced he was ever likely to come to us. The super influential leader of men has chosen West Coast. C'est la vie.

Someone finally mentioned tigers will be chasing 9 and 10

(Twomey inside trading)
I don't think that there's any doubt we'll be chasing 9 & 10 and I think it's quite likely that we'll be chasing more.

How that pans out will be seen in due course, my view is that there'll be a substantial subsidy coming Freo's way, enabling a crack at Warner next year. From what I understand, Freo has the most players in the top 100 of salaries paid, that indicates that the TPP's are a tad tight.

The question then, is how do Freo inject the 2 players into the list that they recognise as the catalysts to take them to the promised land?

The simple answer is, cough up for Bolton and the salary cap relief, giving a red hot crack at Warner a real chance.

If Richmond don't give us Salary Cap Relief, what do they do with it? I don't see any other trades which they can sweeten with cap, west coast won't give up much for it.

Is the likely answer they'll front end load salaries for their current squad? In the end with the 95% minimum this just means overpaying players ala North Melbourne?

If Richmond don't give us Salary Cap Relief, what do they do with it? I don't see any other trades which they can sweeten with cap, west coast won't give up much for it.

Is the likely answer they'll front end load salaries for their current squad? In the end with the 95% minimum this just means overpaying players ala North Melbourne?
Don't fret, there'll be a substantial subsidy coming Freo's way, of course it won't come cheap though.

Front load Hopper most of his contract and hope he asks for a trade 😁

His interactions with Freo players during the last game at OPTUS did not have me convinced he was ever likely to come to us. The super influential leader of men has chosen West Coast. C'est la vie.

I noticed that as well in Round 17 when he kicked those 4 goals against Freo it was almost like he wanted the Tigers to win

I noticed that as well in Round 17 when he kicked those 4 goals against Freo it was almost like he wanted the Tigers to win
Wasn't talking bout Bolton . Thought he looked the goods. Talking about Baker with his 12 disposals and one behind and the angry little ant attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OKC Thunder has made the empty cap space to stockpile picks and top load contracts for wanted players.

Richmond should look at the other teams for unwanted contracts and stockpile the talent.

Was a fair game by him.
Felt like the sort of game you could find with a couple of youngsters at 9 and 16.
Felt a bit short of sort of game you’d find in a couple of youngsters at 9 and 10.
😂 :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Fair play, well done

Was a fair game by him.
Felt like the sort of game you could find with a couple of youngsters at 9 and 16.
Felt a bit short of sort of game you’d find in a couple of youngsters at 9 and 10.
2017 Draft
10​
Lochie O'Brien
11​
Aiden Bonar
12​
Darcy Fogarty
13​
Jarrod Brander
14​
Matthew Ling
15​
Zac Bailey
16​
Ed Richards
17​
Jack Higgins
18​
Brandon Starcevich

I know where I would like my team to be picking.

We can pay off Taranto and Hoppers 100 year contracts early.

What could they do?

Rather than give Freo 4*500K, they could front load 10 players by 50K each.

Then next year, with that 500K they've freed up, and the 500K they would have spent in the coming year, get a star player to enter the draft with a contract demand that's front loaded to be $1M higher than 'normal' in year one, and 500K higher in years 2&3 so nobody can match it.

So if, Warner (for example) is offered 5*800K ($4M total) by other clubs, Richmond could offer him 4.5M over 5 years structured as 1.8M,1.3M,500K,500K,400K and still be much better off.

Not saying they would do this (if nothing else, they'd probably be targeting a KPF), but I mention it to make clear that they DO have options.

Richmond isn't North. They're a big club, that's had success not that long ago, so even when they're at the bottom of the ladder, they're still a club quality players would consider joining, and that opens up options.

What could they do?

Rather than give Freo 4*500K, they could front load 10 players by 50K each.

Then next year, with that 500K they've freed up, and the 500K they would have spent in the coming year, get a star player to enter the draft with a contract demand that's front loaded to be $1M higher than 'normal' in year one, and 500K higher in years 2&3 so nobody can match it.

So if, Warner (for example) is offered 5*800K ($4M total) by other clubs, Richmond could offer him 4.5M over 5 years structured as 1.8M,1.3M,500K,500K,400K and still be much better off.

Not saying they would do this (if nothing else, they'd probably be targeting a KPF), but I mention it to make clear that they DO have options.

Richmond isn't North. They're a big club, that's had success not that long ago, so even when they're at the bottom of the ladder, they're still a club quality players would consider joining, and that opens up options.
Essentially what you're saying is correct, but there's a few more spokes to this wheel.

I think it's a given that salary cap trading will be implemented, if not next year then certainly the year after. This will add another dimension as to how clubs can build their lists and will be a vital cog in the machinations. Those clubs who can take advantage will have a leg up on the others particularly with Tassie entering the draft landscape in 3 years time.

There's currently a mild form salary cap trading which we've seen with the Treloar, Grundy and Bowes trades, I have no doubt that the Tigers will be juicing up the salaries in the Bolton and Rioli deals too.

The Tigers have cleared a monumental amount of salary off their books, firstly through the retirements of Dusty, Grimes, Pickett and Naismith, secondly by releasing Bolton, Bakar, Rioli and Graham. I would hazard a guess that it would be around $5m. There's a substantial rise coming next year in TPP's but I would think that most of that would already be factored into contracts, possibly through front loading.

There's also been a change in banking TPP's where 95% was the threshold and clubs could bank that 5% for two years. It's now 90% and that 10% can be banked for 3 years. If the Tigers took full advantage then they could build a warchest of around $5m.

I don't think that Richmond will target many FA players over the next 2 years, maybe some young fringe players if they see value. I do expect that they'll hit the draft hard and could easily end up with 10 first round picks over the next 3 years and likely more than that with salary cap trading. Mark my words though, we're in a great position to hit the FA market hard before Tassie comes in and I mean real hard.

There is no reason to trade Bolton, we have the whip hand, we already getting pick 6 for Rioli at a minimum, we have the number 1 pick in the draft.

There is a reason Bolton has not nominated a club, he knows their is a possibility he stays at Richmond if their not given what they want.

Last edited:
There is no reason to trade Bolton, we have the whip hand, we already getting pick 6 for Rioli at a minimum, we have the number 1 pick in the draft.

There is a reason Bolton has not nominated a club, he knows their is a possibility he stays given Richmond if their not given what they want.
Agree. 4 years on his contract right? Tigers have every right to demand overs

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back