Shane Birss to St Kilda for pick 59 confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sort of get the feeling it is a nothing trade.

birss probably wants to continue his career which isn't looking bright at the dogs, bullies probably made it easy for him as he given them loyal service.

I think it is win win all round.

Saints get a depth player
Bullies show good faith to their players
Birss gets to continue his career

TheFridge said:
What, are they offering up Cooney or Griffin?:) (Yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek!)

What makes you think they will get pick 23 from us?

I thought that was the talk the other day. Although I have limited net access this week and haven't been able to keep up as I'd like.

Reading between the lines when Eade spoke on Monday, they're looking to net an earlier second round pick, which would then go to Brisbane. Essentially the handshake deal is that the Dogs' best second-rounder in the minutes before 2pm Friday goes to Brisbane?

I don't know why, but I have a feeling Birss could be another Jason Gram for the saints. For some reason I get the feeling he will be a revelation.:thumbsu: Well done saints.

DeledioToTambling said:
I don't know why, but I have a feeling Birss could be another Jason Gram for the saints. For some reason I get the feeling he will be a revelation.:thumbsu: Well done saints.

Jason Gram was first trade in 2003 as well.

Hope you are right.

We will even give Birss the No.15 considering Gram has been given trevor barkers number ;)

For pick 59 maybe worth a shot but I wouldnt have thought Birss would be what the saints need.
Hes just another injury magnet that they can add to the likes of the clarkes, kosi, harvey, hamil and co.
Just the sort of move that cost them this year.

He will be good for the Saints. Im disappointed that he went for such a low pick but Clayton has asked for 5 picks in this draft so we'll be looking to give it to him.

Smith, K-Mac, Wells and 1 more who escapes me have already gone. Now Birss too. Probably see 1 more trade by the Doggies.

I can't believe there was another trade!

I didn't know it was 1:30 on Friday yet...

Birss=Frankie Peckett. Good average player who may well go on to play many games, but when the crunch comes (like in the final against Melburne) isn't really up to it. Brisbane may well get this pick. Brisbame will have a lot of picks and they would rather have them at 59 than 85,86,87 etc. when they replace half their list thats gone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great trade for St Kilda. pick 59 is neither here nor there - just pure speculation by that point of the draft, and if there's someone you like at 59, chances are you can get them at 75.

Birss is a pretty good young player, still got plenty of footy left in him and definitely worth a punt. I can't believe no-one offered a better pick than that for him - I would gladly give up Carlton's pick 51 to take him...

Weaver said:
Hard at it certainly, one of the toughest around. Also reasonably quick. Dead set deplorable kicking though.
Yes, no and yes.

I don't know where all these comments about his pace are coming from. He's slow. Maybe that's a function of always being injured and rarely match fit but he is not quick.

He is hard at it but I'm not sure he's particularly strong. His big asset is he's one of those players that can find the ball and get involved. He does rack up possessions when on the ground. His disposal by hand is poor and for someone who can kick well, he simply misses far too many targets once the heat's on.

I wish him luck and I agree that this is a bit of a nothing trade. It's hardly worth trading for pick 59 but at least we've facilitated a deal for a guy that gave his all, has ability and deserved to be treated properly.

K9-54 said:
Yes, no and yes.

I don't know where all these comments about his pace are coming from. He's slow. Maybe that's a function of always being injured and rarely match fit but he is not quick.

He is hard at it but I'm not sure he's particularly strong. His big asset is he's one of those players that can find the ball and get involved. He does rack up possessions when on the ground. His disposal by hand is poor and for someone who can kick well, he simply misses far too many targets once the heat's on.

I wish him luck and I agree that this is a bit of a nothing trade. It's hardly worth trading for pick 59 but at least we've facilitated a deal for a guy that gave his all, has ability and deserved to be treated properly.

Agree, Im not sure if they are talking about the same birss. Regardless I defninitely rated him higher than a 4th rounder but its so subjective and we may have a plan with that pick (doubt will use it in draft and will move it on).

I have always been a fan of him, but starved of opportunities, and now that addison and higgins will be pushing for spots it makes it near impossible for him. Although this may shoot us in the foot if we trade both he AND faulkner, we didnt have 3 or 4 midfielders injured this year at once and were fairly lucky (except for gia and eags etc), if we did Birss would probably been playing.

No doubt will be a solid player for the saints, and no doubt us taking only #59 was just as much to do with swiftly granting Birss' wish to play at a club with more opportunities, wish him all the best.

Birssy was - sorry is - a good bloke. Really well liked by the guys around the club - by all accounts. I reckon he nominated the Saints and the Doggies made it happen.

He will be missed - but for depth only. There are probably 5 ot 6 in front of him and then whoever else we draft this year.

He just never got any luck with us. Whenever he broke into the team he would cop some obscure injury.

Anyway hope he goes to the saints and hurts us - no hard feelings from me - good luck Birssy.

If Birss puts his head down, does the hard yards over summer, he'll be a premiership player in 2007. Well done Sainters, the juggernaut continues to roll.

Its a real 'meh' trade but this is sure to get the ball rolling.

Expect the McDougall and Aker trades to go through tomorrow

Birss is better than many are giving him credit for.

Disappointed with 59, that's way under his real value.

Hard at it which probably has caused a fair bit of his injury problems, like almost losing an eye when he dived on Ben Graham's foot trying to smother.

sharpie said:
sort of get the feeling it is a nothing trade.

birss probably wants to continue his career which isn't looking bright at the dogs, bullies probably made it easy for him as he given them loyal service.

I think it is win win all round.

Saints get a depth player
Bullies show good faith to their players
Birss gets to continue his career

Well said Sharpie

I would also add that the Bullies probably get enough out of the trade to facilitate another deal.

Birss will be a good player for the Saints I reckon. They lost Powell and Frankie Peckett in quick sucession and Harvey is another year older. Birss will be able to add something straight away.

He was merely starved of chances with the Dogs killer midfield, injuries and the fact that guys like Griff and Higgins need game time.

On the other hand, the Dogs get a pick they can use in a trade for McDougall or similar or keep it.

I dont think the eagles would want that for Mcdougall although its better than the original offer of swapping second round draft picks thats just a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back