Shaun Grigg to Richmond for Andrew Collins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Confirmed - Shaun Grigg to Richmond for Andrew Collins

This will be typical richmond next year if this deal goes through.
Eating there own until they realise they actualy have a player that will be a very solid player for them.
Half of richmond supporters on here havent even seen him play and are making comments about how angry they are about the deal.
Grigg WILL be a very good player for you.
Will be a very good inside mid for you.

Yes, not many clubs truly bend over other clubs. Most trades end up being equitable, and it is only in hindsight that one club really wins over another. Collingwood have a bad reputation, but not many (if any) other clubs.

I would ask port adelaide and the west coast about that......tanking tossers

Yes, not many clubs truly bend over other clubs. Most trades end up being equitable, and it is only in hindsight that one club really wins over another. Collingwood have a bad reputation, but not many (if any) other clubs.

Collingwood have an excellent reputation.

Exactly right. And there are other factors too. Don't forget that teams have to use 3 draft picks, which has further implications on the trade period. Giving up a player frees up a spot on the list. If Richmond take Grigg and Houli, as well as 3 draft picks, that means they need at least 5 spare places on their list, which they may not have. Its also better to trade players for players because of the draft implications. If Richmond send a second-round pick to Carlton, they have to use their fourth round pick. Are they better off having Grigg + Collins + fourth-round, or Grigg + Second round + (either an extra player who doesn't have to be delisted or their fourth-round pick)? Arguably the latter, in my view.

Plus, there is no guarantee that Grigg would get to Richmond in the PSD. Carlton would have 4-5 weeks to try and convince him to stay. He might choose to enter the national draft and go elsewhere. Another team might take him in the PSD. Carlton might find a trade for him to another club that he finds acceptable.

All up, plenty of reasons to deal, and if all you have to give up is an undersized forward with limited potential (who is a bit of a crowd favourite), then that seems a good trade from Richmond's perspective.

Simmonds, Cousins, McMahon, Hislop, Polo and any number of spuds we can delist.... Nope, I'd be taking Grigg through the PSD or for a swap of picks.

Seems a very even trade to me, so not sure what the fuss is about. Collins is a 15 touches and 1 goal a game mid-sized forward and Grigg is 20 touches a game midfielder. They're pretty much the same age and at a similar stage in their development. Good deal if both clubs are happy with it.

Except those stats don't reflect him at all.

When he played in the middle he would get 20 touches a game.

When he played forward he would get 10-12 touches and kick 1.5 goals a game.

Eating there own until they realise they actualy have a player that will be a very solid player for them.
Half of richmond supporters on here havent even seen him play and are making comments about how angry they are about the deal.

No he won't because he wont be able to displace Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Jackson or even Tuck.

We have plently of inside mids, but no outside. Strange that we would trade an outside mid for a dud inside mid.

Calm down guys, it isn't even confirmed yet.

For one thing, Grigg is better than Collins. Grigg is stronger and is able to play midfield right now, I don't believe Collins would be able to do that yet. If this trade does eventuate, Richmond will come out on top with the better player.

Collins has talent but Grigg has shown more. Just my opinion.

Ah yes, the classic media-driven cliche (except the media would say 'their' own). And we all tear up our memberships and leave chicken poo at Punt Road. You could get a job at the Herald Sun.

Pelschen isn't someone that clubs like dealing with at Hawks is the other one.

Blues need a forward - Tiggers need mids.

Its pretty fair - A win win trade for both clubs if it goes through

I don't believe it's a "fair" trade, from what I've seen Grigg is and will be the better player.

Though, considering the circumstances and how poorly a position Grigg has put us in, this is as fair as it will get. Would take this trade in a heartbeat.

Grigg will be fantastic for the Tigers. Big body, inside mid, can break lines. Needs to work on his kicking but nowhere near as bad as some posters are making out. Will complement and later replace Tuck.

Player for player, this is actually a pretty fair trade.

As far as contracted vs uncontracted goes, we're killing Richmond.

Always liked Andy, he'll do well in our midfield.

If this trade goes through.

I don't think its strange. AFL teams don't really think in terms of who has 'the power'. They just look for players they think will make their team better, then do what it takes to make the trade happen. Remember, Richmond were 'in the box seat' for Chris Judd a few years back, and missed out on that.

In this case, Grigg has heaps of value, and would complement Richmond's midfield nicely. Midfielders are much more valuable in modern football than medium sized forwards, and this is a good deal for the Tigers. I mean, take out the names, and you have:

Richmond receive player X:
Position: midfielder
Age 22 at the start of next season
Height 190cm Weight 85kg
Previously drafted pick 19, played every season
Experience: 43 games, including 1 final
Career averages: 17.2 disposals, 2.3 tackles
Best year (2010): 8 games, 21.5 disposals, 3.5 tackles
Best performances: 28 disposals, 1 goal vs St Kilda (2009), 29 disposals, 1 goal vs Essendon (2010), 23 disposals, 1 goal, 6 tackles vs Collingwood (2010)

Carlton receive player Y:
Position: small/medium forward
Age 22 at the start of next season
Height: 184cm Weight: 72kg
Previously drafted at pick 73 in the draft, took 3 years to break into the team
Experience: 25 games, no finals
Career averages: 16.6 disposals, 0.9 goals, 3.4 tackles, 3.8 marks
Best year (2010): 14.8 disposals, 1.0 goals,
Best performances: 14 disposals, 3 goals vs Brisbane Lions (2010), 18 disposals, 2 goals vs Fremantle (2010), 24 disposals, 8 tackles vs Fremantle (2009)

Looking at that comparison, Grigg plays a more important position on the field and is more versatile. Grigg is physically more capable at AFL level. Grigg has a higher draft pedigree and more experience. Their career performances have been similar so far. In AFL football terms, Grigg is probably a more valuable asset at this point in time.
Some very good points here. I know Andy pretty well and wouldn't be disappointed if he joined the Blues, but the only area he is better than Grigg is in disposal. Grigg was rated MUCH higher and has done more. He looks to be a better option to put your money on.
I am very surprised at the vehemence of feeling from many here, not just Tiger fans, about Andy. I am happy for him to be playing better, but he just isn't that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to 5 pages ago.

No point getting upset about until there is official word. Dees supporters were going nuts over the prospect of Hale and that never eventuated.

snake-oil-salesman.jpg

Poor old Richmond have just got bent over and been given a dose of donkey donk [if the trade goes through], i believe Collins has FAR more upside than Grigg who is a bit of a plodder.

Let's get a few things straight. People are telling us that Collins is just a medium forward. He's only been playing that role out of necessity, he is a natural goal kicking midfielder (though he'll probably end up playing a high HFF role at Richmond).

Poor old Richmond have just got bent over and been given a dose of donkey donk [if the trade goes through], i believe Collins has FAR more upside than Grigg who is a bit of a plodder.

+1 to this

I can't believe Hardwick would do this - getting rid of a talented young player who appears to be happy and settled at the club...wouldn't be good culturally you'd think.

Let's get a few things straight. People are telling us that Collins is just a medium forward. He's only been playing that role out of necessity, he is a natural goal kicking midfielder (though he'll probably end up playing a high HFF role at Richmond).

he wont need to worry about the midfield at visy park, he can leave that to judd, murphy and gibbs ;)

From Emma Quayle:

"I'm pretty sure Collins for Grigg isn't quite over the line yet. Stay tuned today though. Blues will be trying to sweet talk him into it."

"The Tigers haven't been throwing Collins' name around, though. the Blues specifically requested him."

Also from Emma Quayle:

" Collins to Carlton definitely not completed last night. Some minor details still being sorted out. It'll 99% happen though. Will check later" 30 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back