Shoot holes in this theory

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
Having a discussion last night with my mate and I brought up the theory that I think you need a coach to have have won a preimership to be able to lead a team to a preimeirship.

Obvious examples on my side are Matthews,Malthouse,Sheedy

Against were choco

What are are other peoples veiws on this?

Can people name some other coaches who didnt win a flag as a player but did as a coach?

jerry springer said:
Having a discussion last night with my mate and I brought up the theory that I think you need a coach to have have won a preimership to be able to lead a team to a preimeirship.

Against were choco

Can people name some other coaches who didnt win a flag as a player but did as a coach?

Pagan, Roos

Tom Hafey and Allan Jeans were some of the greatest coaches ever who didn't play in a premiership as players.

Most coaches probably would have won a premiership as a player, so it probably gives you a better chance of getting the job in the first place.

Yet plenty haven't won as coach: Gary Ayres, Peter Schwab, Tim Watson, Tony Shaw.

And there's a lot of current coaches who won as a player but not as coach (yet) - Laidley, Eade, Wallace, Bomber, Worsfold, Daniher. Most of them have been around a while.

It seems most of the good coaches have won as a player, but IMO it is far from a prerequisite.

And think about it this way, just because you won a flag playing, does this mean you will be a good coach able to coach a flag? How about Bartlett for Richmond? Buckanera for Hawthorn. (Although I'm not sure if he played in a winning GF, apologies if wrong.) Ther are plenty of examples of winning player, losing coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jerry springer said:

Against were choco

Now are you talking about VFL/AFL premierships or any senior premiership like WAFL or SANFL?

Seems more likely that you had to be a backman to be a good coach ...

Pagan, Sheedy, Malthouse, Parkin, Hafey, Jeans ...

But against that you have Matthews, Blight, Barassi ...

I guess there's no real logic to this entire question..

Jack Worrall coached Essendon and carlton to flags in the early 1900's. I'm certain he never played in a premiership side, not in the VFL anyway. He played for Fitzroy in the VFA 1884-1893.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoot holes in this theory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back