Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided, I need more info

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you a worker?

no

but I don't want to see us go down the path of lower wages (better IR laws and more flexibility is positive for everyone though)

I would also be open to different tax laws to promote the necessary infrastructure (but even then I would be cautious).

no

but I don't want to see us go down the path of lower wages (better IR laws and more flexibility is positive for everyone though)

I would also be open to different tax laws to promote the necessary infrastructure (but even then I would be cautious).
what does "better IR laws" and more flexibility mean? Why do you speak in riddles? Spell it out. I take it you will be one of the ones fighting big business trying to reduce wages??

then why support nuclear

because there is a big difference between 1960s and today's technology
- it is undeniably the safest power generation technology
- it is clean
- it provides reliable base load
- it is cheap
- it is vital for science and the medical industry

and ultimately my opinion doesn't amount to anything. It is more an observation of the facts, the past record and the roll out plans of the technology gloablly. I do understand some people get a kick out of being anti-nuclear as they see it an emotive cause but ultimately they just hurt the most vulnerable, the poor and the disadvantaged.

- it is clean
- it is cheap

and ultimately my opinion doesn't amount to anything. It is more an observation of the facts, the past record and the roll out plans of the technology gloablly. I do understand some people get a kick out of being anti-nuclear as they see it an emotive cause but ultimately they just hurt the most vulnerable, the poor and the disadvantaged.
We just went over the issue with nuclear - the consquences of something going wrong no matter how safe it is claimed to be is unacceptable.

Yes we need small installations for medical purposes not for power generation. better solutions - no dirty waste, cheap, renewable, sustainable and ready to address climate change now. And all this can be in the hands of the public instead of a few private hands. Wouldnt that be great???

what does "better IR laws" and more flexibility mean? Why do you speak in riddles? Spell it out. I take it you will be one of the ones fighting big business trying to reduce wages??
please feel free to discuss this in the appropriate thread

We just went over the issue with nuclear - the consquences of something going wrong no matter how safe it is claimed to be is unacceptable.

Yes we need small installations for medical purposes not for power generation. better solutions - no dirty waste, cheap, renewable, sustainable and ready to address climate change now. And all this can be in the hands of the public instead of a few private hands. Wouldnt that be great???

yes we have discussed it but we have a difference of opinion over the safety record. The numbers, even including 1960s reactors like fukushima and the plutonium producer chenobyl, demonstrate no other power generation (including solar and wind) is safer.

Solar and wind are great but are not a solution to replacing coal or gas.

I do note your public vs private concerns and again, this debate was settled in the beginning of the last century. You may not know it but a company is just a piece of paper representing the collective of peoples resources such as the "public's" superannuation and hard savings. So even the private is in fact the public and may even include the government.

yes we have discussed it but we have a difference of opinion over the safety record. The numbers, even including 1960s reactors like fukushima and the plutonium producer chenobyl, demonstrate no other power generation (including solar and wind) is safer.

Solar and wind are great but are not a solution to replacing coal or gas.

I do note your public vs private concerns and again, this debate was settled in the beginning of the last century. You may not know it but a company is just a piece of paper representing the collective of peoples resources such as the "public's" superannuation and hard savings. So even the private is in fact the public and may even include the government.

"Solar and wind are great but are not a solution to replacing coal or gas"

says who?
"The numbers, even including 1960s reactors like fukushima and the plutonium producer chenobyl, demonstrate no other power generation (including solar and wind) is safer"

you just admitted that uncontrolled contaimiated water into the ocean from fukushima. What is the consequence of this on the ecosystem?

When is the land around Fukishima able to be reinhabited and used for profductive purposes (crops)??

solar and wind lets the generation of power in the control of community and out of hands of corpoartion who have a vested interest in maintaing monopoly and BAU. This is why capitalism cant deal with gloabal warming. The sun and wind cant be privatised. Privataisation means maximising profits at what ever cost socially and environmentally.

you havent even acknowledged the inability of nuclear to deal with claimte change

Even if it gets the go ahead in Parliament, it will get stopped because some vast piece of brown earth in the middle of nowhere (perfect place for a nuclear plant) was the site where the rainbow servant battled the giant Wombat in the Dreamtime. The one living descendant of that tribe will then pop his head out of his government owned community housing that he's trashed with his mates and say that he doesn't want that wrecking 'his' land.

Even if it gets the go ahead in Parliament, it will get stopped because some vast piece of brown earth in the middle of nowhere (perfect place for a nuclear plant) was the site where the rainbow servant battled the giant Wombat in the Dreamtime. The one living descendant of that tribe will then pop his head out of his government owned community housing that he's trashed with his mates and say that he doesn't want that wrecking 'his' land.
Darcy - put it in your backyard. Safe as houses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- it is clean
- it is cheap

Some of those might be good reasons but.....

Clean? only the way you want to look at it. Look at the whole picture.

The forests burning have been left untouched since the nuclear disaster in 1986. Alot of those trees absorbed cessium and strontium. If they burn,they release them in the smoke. We could see a repeat of the cloud that went over the baltics, Finland, parts of britian and all the way to Argentina where cancer rates increased.

Sydney Bloods - I thought you said tax was theft?

have you considered the context of how i used it? i have no issue with tax. In fact tax is necessary for a society to function.
Now are their unnecessary taxes? yes. is tax revenue poorly used? yes. do certain individuals and groups shirk their tax responsibilities? yes.

but none of that equates to what you've accused me of. I'm happy to pay taxes, i pay more taxes then half the campaigners that are against tax and complain about it being theft.

have you considered the context of how i used it? i have no issue with tax. In fact tax is necessary for a society to function.
Now are their unnecessary taxes? yes. is tax revenue poorly used? yes. do certain individuals and groups shirk their tax responsibilities? yes.

but none of that equates to what you've accused me of. I'm happy to pay taxes, i pay more taxes then half the campaigners that are against tax and complain about it being theft.
which ones are unnecessary? do you agree with adam smith that the wealth of nations includes a progressive tax system?

which ones are unnecessary? do you agree with adam smith that the wealth of nations includes a progressive tax system?

sin taxes for one, clumsy misguided attempts to curb social behaviour, whether they work or not becomes moot when you consider states start to rely on them in order to function, thus we then reach a point where the state needs to either keep people conducting the behaviour they first set out curb or find a new tax base.

Payroll taxes are another its a disincentive for business and negatively affects not only employment rates, but it provides an active disincentive for employers to correct mistakes in pay. for workers who live week to week this causes a lot of issues.

then there's issues with tax legislation that see some businesses avoid taxes, there's no reason to keep these on books. by removing them we bring all business into the same taxation policy, based on profits.

as for adam smith, i don't know who who is or much about his tax system. all i know is ours needs reform.

whats the limitations? I remember the sites they were exploring were quite remote in SA...that perhaps?

the hottest rocks are too remote (ie geodynamics) and those closer to cities and the grid are not hot enough.

the other issue is the fracking of the granite down hole is not only difficult but it also silts up meaning the useful life of a hole is not only limited by heat but by water flow.

Wave, dam and hot rock technologies are my preferred renewable generation resources but sadly hot rock still has a long way to go in this nation.

This is an interesting debate, Those who would prefer to wait until a safer viable option than nuclear is available are the same people that are demanding the rushed introduction of an ETS and demanding developed countries do more NOW to stem the flow of man made climate change.

sin taxes for one, clumsy misguided attempts to curb social behaviour, whether they work or not becomes moot when you consider states start to rely on them in order to function, thus we then reach a point where the state needs to either keep people conducting the behaviour they first set out curb or find a new tax base.

Payroll taxes are another its a disincentive for business and negatively affects not only employment rates, but it provides an active disincentive for employers to correct mistakes in pay. for workers who live week to week this causes a lot of issues.

then there's issues with tax legislation that see some businesses avoid taxes, there's no reason to keep these on books. by removing them we bring all business into the same taxation policy, based on profits.

as for adam smith, i don't kn ow who who is much about his tax system. all i know is ours needs reform.
you support a progressive tax system yes or no? rt a progr
This is an interesting debate, Those who would prefer to wait until a safer viable option than nuclear is available are the same people that are demanding the rushed introduction of an ETS and demanding developed countries do more NOW to stem the flow of man made climate change.
we have ready of the shelf solutions in solar and wind. no co2 , safe no waste, renwable and FREE. power to yhe pepple.
bit rich from a climate change denier

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics Should Australia go nuclear?

Back