Should clubs target Malceski's knee?

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be very difficult to target a knee as ACL knee injuries are often self inflicted by twisting,turning and sudden changes of direction

Many serious knee injuries occur from players sliding in or falling across another player's knee.
Shane Kerrison on Joel Smith was a classic example from 1997.
It is a dangerous practice.

Unfathomably, it is encouraged by the AFL and umpires with their over-eagerness to award players free kicks for high contact.
Players who go to ground and dive in at the contest are given ridiculous free kicks, a misguided attempt to give them protection from the better players who stay on their feet.

As for the OP's question of testing out Malceski's knee, I've never heard of such an obscene suggestion.
I think it was said with tongue in cheek. A reference to the lack of protection being afforded to Buddy Franklin.

I remember once, when Lloydy had a publicised sore finger and a Bulldogs defender (Kretiuk?) decided to give it a whack. The incident created a storm of bad publicity. People said Kretiuk should be reported. Yet when Buddy Franklin cops a hard bump 100m away from the action (a shoulder test) the umpires turn a blind eye. Channel & even replayed one such a incident and (unbelievably) accused Buddy of staging. :confused: Where was same moral outrage they afforded the Lloydy v Kretiuk incident?

It would be very difficult to target a knee as ACL knee injuries are often self inflicted by twisting,turning and sudden changes of direction

Put a shifty little forward on him. Make him move laterally. His knee is probably fine, but the mental side of things may make Malceski second guess his own movements. The majority of players who recover from knee surgery seem to take a year or two of playing before the confidence returns.

Hope his surgery is a complete success. Fair effort to return as he has.

Pretty low comment.

If he snaps that repair, he would be looking at 12-18 months out. A bit different to just testing out a sore player in traditional sense.

The offending player would be marked as a dog for life.

Exactly. Any player who goes out to essentially ruin another players career doesnt deserve the oxygen they breath and if it does happen i would be happy to see Barry Hall and afew of our other players smash the offending opposition player.

That's what i'm talking about. Both players have or had some form of injury, and yet it is ok to bump / elbow / dump one bloke, but perish the thought of targeting the other.

How would you target it? He's a half back / on baller. Slide in under his legs (at the ball), dive on top of him when hes on the ball etc etc. Its not rocket science. You can legally rough up someones legs. Clearly you dont want people out there kicking him in the knee... But there are ways to go out of your way, within the rules, to target a dodgey knee. Exactly the same as targeting a dodgey shoulder, or the freo bloke punching gherigs hands etc.

Why did i create the thread? To see if i would get a reaction like this. Everyone seems disgusted with the thought, yet in the other thread people were of the view that anyone on the field is fair game. What's the difference, other than the fact that it isn't a hawthorn player people love to hate

That's what i'm talking about. Both players have or had some form of injury, and yet it is ok to bump / elbow / dump one bloke, but perish the thought of targeting the other.

How would you target it? He's a half back / on baller. Slide in under his legs (at the ball), dive on top of him when hes on the ball etc etc. Its not rocket science. You can legally rough up someones legs. Clearly you dont want people out there kicking him in the knee... But there are ways to go out of your way, within the rules, to target a dodgey knee. Exactly the same as targeting a dodgey shoulder, or the freo bloke punching gherigs hands etc.

Why did i create the thread? To see if i would get a reaction like this. Everyone seems disgusted with the thought, yet in the other thread people were of the view that anyone on the field is fair game. What's the difference, other than the fact that it isn't a hawthorn player people love to hate

The difference is targeting Franklin's injury would result in him missing afew weeks tops while targeting Malceski's injury could very possibly end his career. Im not saying that targeting Franklin's injury is right but i am saying that targeting Malceski's injury is a million times worse.

Is this the kind of stuff Clarko will be instructing your mob to do?

The difference is targeting Franklin's injury would result in him missing afew weeks tops while targeting Malceski's injury could very possibly end his career. Im not saying that targeting Franklin's injury is right but i am saying that targeting Malceski's injury is a million times worse.

If the intention is the same, to injure your opponent, then surely it is no different. Whether it makes him miss 3 weeks or 20 weeks, it's still unsportsmanlike.

If the intention is the same, to injure your opponent, then surely it is no different. Whether it makes him miss 3 weeks or 20 weeks, it's still unsportsmanlike.

Its all unsportsman-like, regardless of what is being targeted and whether the tactics are legal or not.

Would the guy really be marked as a dog for life?

I don't recall Mal Michael having that moniker, yet he continually 'tested' Riewoldt's shoulder when he believed it was injured.

Tony Parker kept punching Gehrig's hand to see if he could cause any pain.

I don't think that either of these guys has any stigma attached to them.

(Maybe because they didn't do any further damage. It might be that if they did inflict further damage that their reputations would be tarnished).

Is that the only response you could come up with? Maybe Paul Roos will instruct w***er hall to punch someone in the face when they arent looking :thumbsu:

Cos your response is so much better :rolleyes:. I was just wondering, because you seem to have given it a great deal of thought.

yep,just another buddy franklin thread in disguise,well done hawks supporters
it took a couple of posts,but true to your nature,it was revealed:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep,just another buddy franklin thread in disguise,well done hawks supporters
it took a couple of posts,but true to your nature,it was revealed:thumbsu:

It's actually about double standards. It's not pumping up buddy, its about the fact that its ok to target one player, or one injury... but not another. There are several threads that highlight hawthorn as being 'rough' or 'unsportsmanlike'. See the hodge / mitchell thread, the countless topics re: lewis and brown. People whinge and moan about it being cheating, and yet when it was people targeting a hawthorn player (whomever it was) people seemed happy to go along with it.

Yet in this thread, it's NOT ok to target an injured player with the intention of hurting him.

Weird

We heard all about clubs targetting buddy when Doc Larkins came out and said his shoulder was dodgey. Should the same go for Malceski? If hes out there he's declared fit, so should players slide in underneath him, give him a knock here and there... test it out?

The general concensus with the shoulder was if he's out there, hes fit, and so long as its roughousing in general play, its fair game.

pretty hard to 'test' out someones knee, without breaking rules, big difference mate!

Have you actually watched football. Players are allowed to bump into each other and what is the first thing a defender does when he goes and stands next to the forward bump him. I reckon even Hawk players do that.

Maybe you need to send a petition to the league to request that nobody be allowed to bump Buddy in the shoulder.

Unlike the other wimps in this thread, I think it is a very good question.

Clubs have definitely targeted injured players in the past and I think it still happens today.

If you were going to do it to Malceski you would just try and swing/spin in him in a hard tackle (See Anthony Rocca on Robert Murphy 2006).

On the Franklin incident I think there was nothing wrong with that, and if a Melbourne player was under a similar injury cloud I'd expect the opposition to do the same.

Clubs have definitely targeted injured players in the past and I think it still happens today.

If you were going to do it to Malceski you would just try and swing/spin in him in a hard tackle (See Anthony Rocca on Robert Murphy 2006).

On the Franklin incident I think there was nothing wrong with that, and if a Melbourne player was under a similar injury cloud I'd expect the opposition to do the same.

So you think its ok for a player to deliberately try and end the career of another player.

Hypothetical - If Malceski played for another team, would Sydney deliberately go after him using there "Tunneling" tactics that were much talked about earlier in the year? Would be a perfect chance to take out a knee "legally".

I'm not saying that Swans would, because I don't believe any coach could ask a player to do that. But Grand Final, Malceski running wild. Who knows?

You should tackle like that everytime, regardless, you guys at demon land should try it one day!

Have you actually watched football. Players are allowed to bump into each other and what is the first thing a defender does when he goes and stands next to the forward bump him. I reckon even Hawk players do that.

Maybe you need to send a petition to the league to request that nobody be allowed to bump Buddy in the shoulder.

I have no issues with people bumping / elbowing / dumping. Its footy. I wasn't saying i have a problem with the treatment of buddy, i just wanted to see the double standards emerge.

:thumbsu:

I have no issues with people bumping / elbowing / dumping. Its footy. I wasn't saying i have a problem with the treatment of buddy, i just wanted to see the double standards emerge.

:thumbsu:

Its hardly double standards. If a player targeted Franklin's shoulder at most he would miss afew weeks. Compare that to someone targeting Malceski's knee as that could end his career.

We heard all about clubs targetting buddy when Doc Larkins came out and said his shoulder was dodgey. Should the same go for Malceski? If hes out there he's declared fit, so should players slide in underneath him, give him a knock here and there... test it out?

The general concensus with the shoulder was if he's out there, hes fit, and so long as its roughousing in general play, its fair game.
What are u going to do? Kick it? punch it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should clubs target Malceski's knee?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back