Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year?

Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Langers is Life

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
GWS
with 31 players lost and no transfer requests to East Brighton surely they'd have to forfeit a lot of games and probably won't even make a reserves

As I said on the other page, It is amazing that a side could play in 4 GF's in 4 years and then a Prelim last season and get spoken about dropping a Division.....Just like StKilda City, who for 4 seasons flogged everyone, now finish bottom 4 last few years.....East Burwood in the EFL another example.....clubs that run on Money and Mercenaries and no lasting culture or club loyalty are popping up everywhere.....I read an article the other day where the President of Deer Park F.C, who have won the last 3 Div 1 WRFL Flags, the last by 130 points and just signed 3 ex-AFL players includ Fev, was justifying paying JUNIOR PLAYERS by saying "If we don't do this, we will be back down in Div 3 in a few years".......says a lot about how he thinks local football works (if you can't pay for players, you have NO CHANCE in success) , not to mention how great his thinks his clubs culture is.....

Back to East Brighton, wouldn't think the league would let them drop at this point of the season, and which team would come up???

I feel for EBFC's new coach, Larsen was a great player and will one day make a great coach, unfortunely his predecessers where 100% interested in winning and 0% interested in Development, of either young players, Reserve players or any kind of club culture or team/club spirit.....

Sorry for re-hashing much of what I posted previously on the Div 1 thread but it is unfair to label EB as a team of mercenaries. There are plenty of blokes who have been there through good times and bad. However they have unique challenges as their catchment is almost entirely private school kids. They play APS footy on a Saturday and most them end up in the VAFA. Even when they were winning flags their 2s were weak and despite trying very hard they have not been able to get a Colts up and running or mend the relationship with the EB juniors.

Unless his parents want to drive him to Cheltenham, Mordialloc, Noble Park etc a kid from Dingley has 1 club to choose form. A kid who lives around East Brighton has plenty of clubs and a choice between the SFL and VAFA.

History means nothing these days and it will be a long road back for the Vampires. With no viable junior feeder and huge competition for players from the VAFA and other SFL clubs in the area the only way they can attract players is to open the purse strings. As we know this does not really garner long term loyalty. Whichever way you slice it this is pretty bloody sad,

Last edited:
Sorry for re-hashing much of what I posted previously on the Div 1 thread but it is unfair to label EB as a team of mercenaries. There are plenty of blokes who have been there through good times and bad. However they have unique challenges as their catchment is almost entirely private school kids. They play APS footy on a Saturday and most then end up in the VAFA. Even when they were winning flags their 2s were weak and despite trying very hard they have not been able to get a Colts up and running or mend the relationship with the EB juniors.

Unless his parents want to drive him to Cheltenham, Mordialloc, Noble Park etc a kid from Dingley has 1 club to choose form. A kid who lives around East Brighton has plenty of clubs and a choice between the SFL and VAFA.

History means nothing these days and it will be a long road back for the Vampires. With no viable junior feeder and huge competition for players from the VAFA and other SFL clubs in the area the only way they can attract players is to open the purse strings. As we know this does not really garner long term loyalty. Whichever way you slice it this is pretty bloody sad,
There are also other junior clubs nearby with no clear pathway into a seniors club e.g Brighton Beach, who will have an U17's in a few years. I think a move down for them is for the best while they attempt to raid VAFA teams like Elsternwick and build a connection with Brighton Beach and more into their juniors.

There are also other junior clubs nearby with no clear pathway into a seniors club e.g Brighton Beach, who will have an U17's in a few years. I think a move down for them is for the best while they attempt to raid VAFA teams like Elsternwick and build a connection with Brighton Beach and more into their juniors.

Same issues with the Brighton Beach JFC kids Langers – they mostly go to private schools so realistically they wont get much joy there. And I wouldn’t worry about raiding Elsternwick. No disrespect to the Wicks but they are entrenched in the bottom rungs of the VAFA.

The challenges are Old Xavs, Collegians, De La, Old Brighton – clubs where the junior’s kids go to school. Add Hampton, Rovers, Beaumaris, and Ormond who are good VAFA clubs on their doorstep with big junior affilates. Plus SFL clubs like Bentleigh (a club on the rise) Hampton, Cheltenham, Moorabbin, Black Rock etc etc. There are only so many players to go around.

Same issues with the Brighton Beach JFC kids Langers – they mostly go to private schools so realistically they wont get much joy there. And I wouldn’t worry about raiding Elsternwick. No disrespect to the Wicks but they are entrenched in the bottom rungs of the VAFA.

The challenges are Old Xavs, Collegians, De La, Old Brighton – clubs where the junior’s kids go to school. Add Hampton, Rovers, Beaumaris, and Ormond who are good VAFA clubs on their doorstep with big junior affilates. Plus SFL clubs like Bentleigh (a club on the rise) Hampton, Cheltenham, Moorabbin, Black Rock etc etc. There are only so many players to go around.
Would a relocation help them then. Its a tough sell and seems like they're only committed players are on some big bucks

Let them suffer the same pain in Divvy One that they heaped onto other teams. If they finish bottom then they go back.
The main issue is more the competition rather than them being smashed, it looks really bad if they're 10 goals behind the second last team in div 1 or even if they have to forfeit because they can't field two teams a week,the SFNL has been building a good reputation and the top tier having teams being noncompetitive and not showing up would look really bad

NO. The president and committee who chased success with coin now have to work there way out of it. No easy out for clubs like this, and sends very clear message

The main issue is more the competition rather than them being smashed, it looks really bad if they're 10 goals behind the second last team in div 1 or even if they have to forfeit because they can't field two teams a week,the SFNL has been building a good reputation and the top tier having teams being noncompetitive and not showing up would look really bad

Won't look as bad as protecting a side from getting flogged because they emptied the piggy bank. And the president/committee who emptied the piggy bank, for a couple of premierships at the detriment to the long term survival of the club probably think they are awesome

If they are in such a mess, they will cop the same sort of treatment in Div. 2 next year. Perhaps drop them to Div. 3 and promote a strong, financial club from Div. 3 up to Div. 2 and a Keysborough or Port Colts up to Div. 1. It is never too late to protect the image of the competition.
East Brighton would then have a couple of years to regroup and start the climb. They will have their new facility open by then and would be an attractive option for young players to join.
Some of the comments that were coming out of there 2 years ago along the lines of The 1sts are all we care about are now so obviously wrong. My club were in a similar position 10 years ago so obviously it can be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm from South Yarra and 4 yrs ago or so we lost 20 out 22 senior players...that year we won 1 game and should have been relegated to div 3 except Black Rock didn't want to pay their league bills so we stayed up. The next year we didn't come withing 8 goals of anyone and I'm sure it set us back a bit development wise. We're only now about to push for a finals spot in div 3 so it's a long way back when this shit happens.

You can say "they can have their whack" but as stated above a div 1 team that's barely a div 2 team on the field is not a great option and why not reward a team from div 2 who has their shit in order?

How can you decide which div 2 club to bring up?
I've heard keysie for example will field a vastly different line up to last year. I'm sure they would have recruited differently had they been offered div one before Xmas. Sending a div 2 club up this late in the year could hurt them just as much as a tough year for EB will

I've heard keysie for example will field a vastly different line up to last year. I'm sure they would have recruited differently had they been offered div one before Xmas. Sending a div 2 club up this late in the year could hurt them just as much as a tough year for EB will
SFNL has done well to balance all div's so there isn't a massive jump from top 4 sides in div 2 to bottom 4 sides in div 1. Caulfield, Murrumbeena, Keysborough and Port Melbourne could all match the bottom 4 div 1 teams

Very good point

SFNL has done well to balance all div's so there isn't a massive jump from top 4 sides in div 2 to bottom 4 sides in div 1. Caulfield, Murrumbeena, Keysborough and Port Melbourne could all match the bottom 4 div 1 teams
You seriously think putting east Brighton down a division will help? You say that they won't have enough numbers to fill 2 sides? What makes it fair to drop them down a division and have the same thing happen? Or are you saying if they drop down a division then they may magically end up having enough numbers to fill 2 senior sides because they have dropped a div? East Brighton are an extraordinary club with a rich history, they've been in this position before and survived, they deserve the chance to fight for survival again, my bet is they will be alright.

Having played all those sides last year I can tell you there was a huge gap between keysie and oakleigh to the rest.

Pretty sure Port Melbourne didn't play in this comp last year boys! I reckon they will be the best bet to cope in Div 1. Played WRFL Div 1 last year (stronger comp) and have since picked up a few recruits back this year.
They were uncompetitive in that comp though, and keysie were not allowed to go straight into div 1. They should have to earn it.

I'd offer it to murrumbeena first. Played in last years div 2 GF and have a list of young players with upside ( assuming they are still there)

Sorry for re-hashing much of what I posted previously on the Div 1 thread but it is unfair to label EB as a team of mercenaries. There are plenty of blokes who have been there through good times and bad. However they have unique challenges as their catchment is almost entirely private school kids. They play APS footy on a Saturday and most them end up in the VAFA. Even when they were winning flags their 2s were weak and despite trying very hard they have not been able to get a Colts up and running or mend the relationship with the EB juniors.

And there is their issue and solution. Whilst so many SFNL sides do not have a junior club, East Brighton has one of the biggest going around. Drive past it on any footy Sunday and there are cars everywhere

Not sure what relationships need to be mended but it's just crazy for it to still be occurring when the senior club is on its knees. With fantastic facilities being built, again the envy of so many clubs, then the people in charge there should get professional and restructure the program to align juniors and seniors before it's too late. So instead of crying poor to go down a division, realise what the club has and fix it.

And there is their issue and solution. Whilst so many SFNL sides do not have a junior club, East Brighton has one of the biggest going around. Drive past it on any footy Sunday and there are cars everywhere

Not sure what relationships need to be mended but it's just crazy for it to still be occurring when the senior club is on its knees. With fantastic facilities being built, again the envy of so many clubs, then the people in charge there should get professional and restructure the program to align juniors and seniors before it's too late. So instead of crying poor to go down a division, realise what the club has and fix it.

Several of the Div 1 clubs do have aligned juniors or at least have a feeder club close by but you are correct. While they have plenty of teams, the EB juniors generally finish up at U15 due to the number that attend private schools and play APS sports on the weekend. Even if the clubs were affiliated there is no direct feeder into an U18 or U19 side. So while it would be a positive step it won't solve all the problems.

As you rightly point out the EB juniors are a big organisation and as I understand it the issues stem from conflict over ground and pavilion access. The conflict grew to the point they completely disengaged from each other (mind you plenty of clubs have this problem and manage to get by). I believe it has been repaired somewhat but the gap between the juniors ending and seniors starting is the heart of the problem. The preference of the EB juniors is the VAFA system and as a club they need to find a way of enticing them back to EB after they finish school.

Pretty sure Port Melbourne didn't play in this comp last year boys! I reckon they will be the best bet to cope in Div 1. Played WRFL Div 1 last year (stronger comp) and have since picked up a few recruits back this year.
Remember they didn't win a game last year in that comp pdogg...

Remove this Banner Ad

Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year?

Back