Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year?

Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

After years of trying to they did Colts up last year but it was a real struggle and they battled for numbers all season. Very long odds to get Colts up for 2016.
I don't know if they struggled for numbers all season. They had 33 players! 20 of them played 12 games or more and another 6 played between 5 and 10 games. A couple more played 4 games. That seems pretty healthy for the first year in the Under 19 comp. Most of those boys came from the Under 17s and will be playing again this year in the Under 19s (and the year after that if they want).

I don't know if they struggled for numbers all season. They had 33 players! 20 of them played 12 games or more and another 6 played between 5 and 10 games. A couple more played 4 games. That seems pretty healthy for the first year in the Under 19 comp. Most of those boys came from the Under 17s and will be playing again this year in the Under 19s (and the year after that if they want).

Another great opportunity for the club. This whole thread is turning into an embarrassment for EB.

What other club would like juniors on the doorstep, healthy colts program and brand new facilities being built.??

EB just need to suck it up and rework their opportunities rather than crying about being uncompetitive for a year or two..,give us a break. Glad league is not interested and going by the poll 80% of others say no other than the 3 EB posters pumping up this thread

They had a core however I know that some weeks it was battle. Of the 33 a good number where week to week propositions while others came in from other clubs at various points of the year. Quite a few doubled up with Reserves or juniors on Sunday which is not ideal but I take your point and other clubs probably had a bigger battle sustaining Colts than EB.

Good on them for having Colts and hope they get up this year. Plenty of other SFL clubs don't make the same effort.

Another great opportunity for the club. This whole thread is turning into an embarrassment for EB.

What other club would like juniors on the doorstep, healthy colts program and brand new facilities being built.??

EB just need to suck it up and rework their opportunities rather than crying about being uncompetitive for a year or two..,give us a break. Glad league is not interested and going by the poll 80% of others say no other than the 3 EB posters pumping up this thread

BB – If you are referring to me I am not from EB. I'm just someone who takes an interest in local footy and tries to give balanced opinion based on fact rather than emotion. I played in the old SESL for a club now in the SFL. I also played in the VAFA and follow both competitions and my two previous clubs with great interest.

I also know a lot of people at the Vampires and have always taken an interest in their fortunes. To a degree you reap what you sow and I also believe they should play in Div 1 this year. The entire basis of my posts on this matter is to convey that the issues are complex and not as simplistic as some people make out.

Whichever way you slice it for a competition power to find itself in this position is a very poor look for the club and the competition.

BB – If you are referring to me I am not from EB. I'm just someone who takes an interest in local footy and tries to give balanced opinion based on fact rather than emotion. I played in the old SESL for a club now in the SFL. I also played in the VAFA and follow both competitions and my two previous clubs with great interest.

I also know a lot of people at the Vampires and have always taken an interest in their fortunes. To a degree you reap what you sow and I also believe they should play in Div 1 this year. The entire basis of my posts on this matter is to convey that the issues are complex and not as simplistic as some people make out.

Whichever way you slice it for a competition power to find itself in this position is a very poor look for the club and the competition.

Your last sentence says it perfectly and is the exact reason why they should be replaced with a club that has it all together and will relish the opportunity of playing Div. 1.

EB, unfortunately, are in no state to be playing on the top division, and this is not a simplistic viewpoint! They have lost basically every frontline player and their reserves were dreadful. On this point alone they should be moved to a more appropriate level of competition

Your last sentence says it perfectly and is the exact reason why they should be replaced with a club that has it all together and will relish the opportunity of playing Div. 1.

EB, unfortunately, are in no state to be playing on the top division, and this is not a simplistic viewpoint! They have lost basically every frontline player and their reserves were dreadful. On this point alone they should be moved to a more appropriate level of competition

You make a very good point. But while I don’t have particularly strong views either way I believe that EB’s predicament (while complex and not due to anyone particular reason) is ultimately of there own doing and they might have to wear the consequences for a year. I understand that their preference is to remain in the top division so unless someone is banging down the door to take their place then I cant see any other option.

I also have a view that clubs should earn promotion and believe most clubs would be reluctant to step up without the silverware to go with it.

Either way it is an ordinary outcome for the league and affiliate clubs.

Appears the whole saga is done and dusted. subtle request 2 weeks ago knocked on the head so poor old EB will just have to be the Div 1 chopping block in 2016. If you need any counselling or someone to tell you to suck it up then please call Heatherton Football Club.

Appears the whole saga is done and dusted. subtle request 2 weeks ago knocked on the head so poor old EB will just have to be the Div 1 chopping block in 2016. If you need any counselling or someone to tell you to suck it up then please call Heatherton Football Club.
Or Chelsea, they were in the same boat a few years back correct?

Football is football, every team has there down fall and calling for a teams head before the season starts is pretty piss poor, every team goes through this, St. Kilda city in 2004 had the same thing happen, Springvale, heatherton, highett have all had it happen, Chelsea Heights have suffered the same fate, wait and see how the year pans out first.

Football is football, every team has there down fall and calling for a teams head before the season starts is pretty piss poor, every team goes through this, St. Kilda city in 2004 had the same thing happen, Springvale, heatherton, highett have all had it happen, Chelsea Heights have suffered the same fate, wait and see how the year pans out first.
Wise words

so you think that a team win finals in div 3 should stay in div3 and let EB who won I think 1 game stay in div 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you think that a team win finals in div 3 should stay in div3 and let EB who won I think 1 game stay in div 1

Not sure what your talking about there PD. I thought I made my views pretty clear in a later post about clubs being reluctant get promoted without getting the silverware.

My view is that the normal promotion – relegation process we have in the SFL should apply. If you win the flag you get promoted. If you finish last you get relegated. Pretty simple really. EB finished third last year and occupied 1 or 2 most of the season so not sure about your reference to winning 1 game comes from.

No question it will be a bloody tough year for them and while I don’t have particularly strong views either way the fortunes of footy clubs tends to ebb and flow. They need to ride out the bad just like the good.

Not sure what your talking about there PD. I thought I made my views pretty clear in a later post about clubs being reluctant get promoted without getting the silverware.

My view is that the normal promotion – relegation process we have in the SFL should apply. If you win the flag you get promoted. If you finish last you get relegated. Pretty simple really. EB finished third last year and occupied 1 or 2 most of the season so not sure about your reference to winning 1 game comes from.

No question it will be a bloody tough year for them and while I don’t have particularly strong views either way the fortunes of footy clubs tends to ebb and flow. They need to ride out the bad just like the good.
player

other club in lower div strugal to field 2 teams and nothing is said so why is EB DIFFRENT

Seriously? Well for one the thread is titled “Should East Brighton play in Div 2 this year”. That might give you a hints as to why East Brighton is the focus of this discussion. Secondly they finished 3rd last year, won the flag the year before and played in 4 Div 1 GFs in a row between 2011 – 2014. That we are now having a discussion about that same club playing in Div 2 a year later is somewhat unusual don’t you think.

I would suggest plenty has been said about the trials and tribulations (or ups and downs for your benefit) of many clubs across all grades on these forums for years.

So if you don’t want to discuss East Brighton perhaps start a threat titled “clubs in lower div strugal (sic) to field 2 teams and nothing is said” and go right ahead.

Seriously? Well for one the thread is titled “Should East Brighton play in Div 2 this year”. That might give you a hints as to why East Brighton is the focus of this discussion. Secondly they finished 3rd last year, won the flag the year before and played in 4 Div 1 GFs in a row between 2011 – 2014. That we are now having a discussion about that same club playing in Div 2 a year later is somewhat unusual don’t you think.

I would suggest plenty has been said about the trials and tribulations (or ups and downs for your benefit) of many clubs across all grades on these forums for years.

So if you don’t want to discuss East Brighton perhaps start a threat titled “clubs in lower div strugal (sic) to field 2 teams and nothing is said” and go right ahead.

WOW! If you or EB don't like posters stating what they think then I think you guys need to settle down a bit. Poster just stating his opinion and for what it's worth he is correct. If EB cannot get a 2nds side in Div 1 then how will they get one in Div 2???

If a moderator is on I think this thread has run its race. some EB posters trying to run their agenda on here which has not worked and as per Billy's post are obviously getting very emotional about it. Cause is lost do suck it up Billy.

WOW! If you or EB don't like posters stating what they think then I think you guys need to settle down a bit. Poster just stating his opinion and for what it's worth he is correct. If EB cannot get a 2nds side in Div 1 then how will they get one in Div 2???

If a moderator is on I think this thread has run its race. some EB posters trying to run their agenda on here which has not worked and as per Billy's post are obviously getting very emotional about it. Cause is lost do suck it up Billy.

Thanks Peter. And I'm sure the moderators appreciate the advice. Would be a shame for it to wind down without one single meaningful contribution from you however.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. And I'm sure the moderators appreciate the advice. Would be a shame for it to wind down without one single meaningful contribution from you however.

Thanks for the opening Silly Billy. I'll give you 6 meaningful reasons.

1) EB has on its doorsteps an envious junior program they can feed from ( if egos are deflated and they accept the worth of the juniors)
2) EB has a heathy colts program with great potential for the future
3) EB has a brand spanking new facilities being built that will attract players and sponsors in the future
4) SFNL like VAFA have a great up/down system to level out the divisions (a sniffling club like EB should appreciate this set up)
5) every league in Victoria have struggling teams that are the chopping block. Apparently EB committee egos cannot handle this hence this thread
6) when you throw coins at flags then it deflates very quickly when no money around. Committees need to become business smart are look at long term gains rather an short term

There you go billy.

Can we close this thread before Billy embarrasses his club any further.....if they could also send him a couple of tissues to wipe away the tears.

1) EB has on its doorsteps an envious junior program they can feed from ( if egos are deflated and they accept the worth of the juniors)
3) EB has a brand spanking new facilities being built that will attract players and sponsors in the future
4) SFNL like VAFA have a great up/down system to level out the divisions (a sniffling club like EB should appreciate this set up)
5) every league in Victoria have struggling teams that are the chopping block. Apparently EB committee egos cannot handle this hence this thread
6) when you throw coins at flags then it deflates very quickly when no money around. Committees need to become business smart are look at long term gains rather an short term

There you go billy.

Can we close this thread before Billy embarrasses his club any further.....if they could also send him a couple of tissues to wipe away the tears.
Their colts merged with Bemtleigh, barely call that healthy

There you go billy.

Well it only took 3 pages but well played. While a bit of what you said is not actually correct (particularly the part about the healthy Colts) at least you are offering something up.

Now while you are on a roll go back over my posts and you will see that; 1. I am not for EB and 2. We generally agree on most things, particularly about EB playing in Div 1 this year and that their predicament is of their own doing.

However your obession with being combative and adversarial has meant all of that has gone right over your head.

We agree on one more point – this subject has been done to death.

Not true, wont be fielding an U16 or U17 team this year. 1x U15 team this year (which will probably mean 0x U16 next year).
Dont disagree with the rest of your points.
As long as they can field a team in the 1's, let them play and suffer the consequences.

This sort of think is happening across all leagues and is not a good thing for football in the long term. In the last two years there has been Parkside in the WRFL who won the div2 flag in 2014 then folded due to lack of players who wanted to play in div1 only to do a deal with the league and come back in 2015 in Div 3. Then last year in the NFL Reservoir won the div 3 flag and got promoted and have gone into recess for 2016 due to a mass exit of players they will struggle to come back in any form as they have no juniors. This is a major problem for all leagues as the lack of 15 to 17 year olds right across the board is a major problem I fear we will see more and more teams folding because the can not field senior or reserve teams little lone and under 18 or 19 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Should East Brighton play in div 2 this year?

Back