Should Rudd be backed for the UN Sec General Job?

Should the Aust Govt back Rudd

• Yes, it would be good for the country

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This may backfire on Turnbull. People can spot petty behaviour from way off and Labor has the added extra of being able to paint him as kowtowing to a loud minority within his party.

Correct. This decision has me flabbergasted - are we seriously holding partisan grudges from half a decade ago? Do politicians take themselves so seriously that they cannot see past the political theatre of yesteryear? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Liberal voter (besides last election, don't like Turnbull or negative gearing), but this just seems petty to me. Regardless of his previous involvement in politics, Rudd is a highly qualified person for this position.

Partisan grudges?

The Labor Party hated him more than the Liberals did.

It's not a partisan grudge, Rudd is only being supported be the Labor Party because of his history - most of them considered him completely unfit to be PM; why would we want him to be the UN SG?

Partisan grudges?

It's not a partisan grudge, Rudd is only being supported be the Labor Party because of his history - most of them considered him completely unfit to be PM; why would we want him to be the UN SG?

He was accused of micromanaging and being a difficult boss by his party after they dumped him. Which just happened to coincide with his drop in the polls a year out from an election year. Then he schemed to get his old job back.

Maybe I'm cynical, but none of this sounds all that bad compared to what happens on a day-to-day level in most offices and government departments across the country. It just took place in the public sphere. I don't think it disqualifies him from pursuing future positions, whether it be with the United Nations or otherwise. He is clearly otherwise very qualified for the role.

I would hate to reach a point in politics where you would have, for example, Tony Abbott nominating himself for an international position and then the left vetoes this due to "his racist policies on Manus island" or some other variation of that theme (NB: I know Labor also support offshore processing, but for the sake of argument...).

Last edited:
Partisan grudges?

Yep. If anybody is politicising this it's the Labor party. Rudd is an unlikeable dickhead in anybodies language

Yep. If anybody is politicising this it's the Labor party. Rudd is an unlikeable dickhead in anybodies language

I didnt like Rudd's arrogance, & think he had more of touch of the sociopath in him. But he is a very intelligent man. He would be very capable of fulfilling that role better than just about anyone in either party. But seeing his smug mug would be hard to take.
I'd vote for Helen Clark ex NZ PM.:D

Best of luck when there's next a Labor government and a Coalition MP wants an overseas post.

I don't understand why Labor give a shit. He essentially undermined the party for years, leaking shit to the papers and making Gillards job extremely difficult.

He's a horrible megalomaniac. Turnball made the right call. Labor shouldn't raise an eyebrow.

I don't understand why Labor give a shit. He essentially undermined the party for years, leaking shit to the papers and making Gillards job extremely difficult.

He's a horrible megalomaniac. Turnball made the right call. Labor shouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Yeah but he's running for an international position of diplomacy. It has nothing to do with domestic politics, or it shouldn't do anyway.

He had precisely zero chance of winning unless the US got behind him on a 'US/China relations' ticket and even then it would have been 50/50.

They should have just let him do his thing, FFS the Labor Party helped out Howard on his post-politics pet project, the International Cricket Council Presidency.

Partisan grudges?

They are only supporting him to get him out of the country :D

I am in the NO camp. It would be 24/7 ego Kevin

They poured massive buckets of scorn and shit on him, repeatedly, and they all loathed him.

Now, all of a sudden, Turnbull is the bad guy by viewing Rudd the same way they all do?

Correct. This decision has me flabbergasted - are we seriously holding partisan grudges from half a decade ago? Do politicians take themselves so seriously that they cannot see past the political theatre of yesteryear? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Liberal voter (besides last election, don't like Turnbull or negative gearing), but this just seems petty to me. Regardless of his previous involvement in politics, Rudd is a highly qualified person for this position.
Exactly it makes Turnbull look rather petty, particularly given there is some talk that he initially supported Rudd for this position. On top of that this decision massively undermines our current foreign minister Bishop given her public support of Rudd.

Regardless of what you think about Rudd's personality I think we can all agree that based on his past experience and skills that he certainly could've fulfilled this role, so why not approve his nomination and let him compete on his merits?

I just struggle to see how Turnbull wins here, it just highlights once again his cabinet is divided and this decision makes him look petty ie that he can't rise above the two party shit flinging contest. Whereas a quick yes and no one bats an eyelid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whereas a quick yes and no one bats an eyelid.
Unfortunately politics says this is incorrect.

He says no and gets it in the neck from Labor

Say yes and he gets it in the neck from the Liberals . At least he can keep Labor at arms length

If you think he's loathed by Labor then the feelings towards him from Australia's diplomatic community is only matched by the hellfire of Satan.

Unfortunately politics says this is incorrect.

He says no and gets it in the neck from Labor

Say yes and he gets it in the neck from the Liberals . At least he can keep Labor at arms length
If something so trivial as this (I know I shouldn't say that but Rudd was only going to be making up the numbers in this) could see him get the axe from the libs he really is in a world of hurt.

If you think he's loathed by Labor then the feelings towards him from Australia's diplomatic community is only matched by the hellfire of Satan.

Hah! That's a bit strong but isolating DFAT and making foreign policy in the PMO will do that I guess. From accounts he was also pretty middling in his time at DFAT but diplomacy is so shrouded by the bureaucracy and the Australian public have such little interest in it that most assumed he was an embassy heavy.

Either way though, if a past PM or even a minister wants to run for something, you let them. Barry Humphries dined out for years on the stereotypical clownish ex-polly who got a gig as Australia's representative to somewhere with good grog and women. At least Rudd has something meaningful to contribute in the Sino-US relationship and the SCS. Helen Clark, wonderful PM, however the UN aid, development, and sustainability programs are an absolute mess and in no way should "experience" in those roles be seen as necessarily positive.

There will be a lot of people in DFAT happy about this.

yeah, and there boss is Julie Bishop...she backed him.

anyway, he's undoubtedly qualified for the role...not sure his personality would be suitable.

also note that Turdbull was for Rudd before he decided to go the other way, pathetic.

https://www.scribd.com/document/319615862/Kevin-Rudd-s-blistering-letter-to-Malcolm-Turnbull

Rudd has released a transcript of conversations with Malcolm in which he expressed support multiple times.

Turnbull might be finished sooner than I thought...you could say he's already finished.

Last edited:
And this is why KR should be nowhere near a post like the UN. He doesn't get a job so he ''leaks'' . Now where have we seen this before??

Kevin Rudd
26th Prime Minister of Australia

snarkle

you don't think he has a right to make it known that Turdbull had been backing his run before he cut him at the knees? I'd be yelling it from the Empire State building too, seriously, Turd backs him for nearly a year and tells him to sound out governments and then refuses to support him, wtf? Turd having a bet each way? or the turd scared because he has a wafer thin majority?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-...-turnbull-on-un-secretary-general-bid/7674038

Turd getting up there and saying he is not qualified when he'd said the opposite when he was riding high as PM tells you everything about the member for Goldman Sachs.

****, Rudd has postings at Harvard, University of Illinois, WEF etc and Turd says he's not qualified, he's more qualified than Hockey who's the ambassador.

Last edited:
If it wasn't Kevin Rudds motive, that at every opportunity he was stymied, to ''release'' correspondence he might get more of a pass mark from me. The fact that this behavior follows a pattern well established over the years justifies in my mind why he should not have the keys to the UN

you don't think he has a right to make it known that Turdbull had been backing his run before he cut him at the knees? I'd be yelling it from the Empire State building too, seriously, Turd backs him for nearly a year and tells him to sound out governments and then refuses to support him, wtf? Turd having a bet each way? or the turd scared because he has a wafer thin majority?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-...-turnbull-on-un-secretary-general-bid/7674038

Turd getting up there and saying he is not qualified when he'd said the opposite when he was riding high as PM tells you everything about the member for Goldman Sachs.

****, Rudd has postings at Harvard, University of Illinois, WEF etc and Turd says he's not qualified, he's more qualified than Hockey who's the ambassador.
I would have thought it was up to the UN to decide whether Rudd was qualified or not.

Eh, I have a feeling that the people criticising Turnbull over this one would be criticising him either way. It was a bit of a no-win situation - either back a bloke who is roundly hated as a wrecker (and renege on a promise to back Helen Clark), or deny support to a former PM who is many respects incredibly qualified for the role.

Personally I would have preferred we go the latter route, because at the end of the day he's an Australian ex-PM, but I don't think the failure to back him is as big a deal as people are making out. The chances of him getting the job were miniscule anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Rudd be backed for the UN Sec General Job?

Back