Should we allow the WC here so we can kill off soccer world wide?

Remove this Banner Ad

ok sure, but I thought we were talking about which is "bigger", wc or olympics. You said olympics, clearly, i pointed out why you're wrong.

which event holds more interest to non soccer fans living in australia isn't really at question.

but the same also holds true in places such as the USA and Canada.
thats not to say that the WC is not big, we all know its huge, but overall I can't see how it could claim to be bigger than the olympics. There is also the history and tradition factor that comes into player here too. The "higher faster stronger..." mythology associated with the olympics is pretty hard to match.

If there's any point discussing the issue of which is "bigger" out of the Olympics or the World Cup, it's in how many visitors each event brings. I'm not sure which does bring more. I suspect the world cup, but I wouldn't have a clue where to look and nor do I care that much. I have no ideolgical axe to grind and no face to lose by being proven wrong.

Fairly sure the original post is satirical. Hope so anyway.

You seriously think anyone cares about the Olympics? We're proud if an Australian wins a gold medal (less so if they win a silver or bronze), but are we distraught if they don't? Disappointed, maybe.

Not even close to the passion that a World Cup inspires.

The links have been posted in another thread.
Olympics= 40 billion viewers (Athens)
WC= 26 billion viewers (Germany)
These are cumulative figures.
So I think people do care about the Olympics.
And when YOU speak of Australians competing, just speak for yourself, because I'm Australian and I don't share your views.

Soccer is only one poor world cup performance away from collapsing back into local leagues. Imagine if South Africa comes out after the games and say it made a 5 billion dollar loss, is the next country going be stepping over itself to "out do" South Africa.

As resources become more expensive any global operation will become more expensive, we are already seeing this now. Once the world cup has a really bad run (I suspect next year might even be the one) it will cease running in its current format. Good riddens.

Olympics= 40 billion viewers (Athens)
WC= 26 billion viewers (Germany)
These are cumulative figures.

Wow you're obviously not using the FIFA numbers there?

I think FIFA works it out like this :-

Olympics = real_figures/4
WorldCup = real_figures*4;

Fifa - "World cup wins! Yeah! World sport, ra ra"

FIFA's numbers included 20.5 million Australians watching every game, now I'm no big city scientist but clearly soccer has no where near 98% support in Australia, even if it did, they wouldn't watch every single game like FIFA purports.

Its not about whether soccer is the world game or not. Its whether the soccer world cup is bigger than the olympics. Clearly it isn't.

Because five people going to the badminton and K1 Kayak while a packed house hoping for a glimpse of upside-down vagina in the choreographed aquatic nose-peg'n'smile event swoons is the definitive proof you need.

It wouldn't kill off Soccer it would just kill Australia's reputation as a sport loving country.

It would kill off any fanatasies that FFA had about thier brand of football becoming the national passion of Australia.

But I doubt that would happen. There is genuine interest in Australia in the top leagues of European football, and many would be keen to watch all the top players in the world in action. I'm sure the World Cup in Australia would be well attended by the locals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer is only one poor world cup performance away from collapsing back into local leagues.

Yeah, what a disaster that'd be for soccer. Then they'd only have the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, J.League, K-League, Russian Premier League, Scottish Premier League, Portuguese Liga, Super League Greece, Turkcell Super League...

and yet the olympics garners more interest then the WC. always has.

Sure they do. Keep telling yourself.

AND THE NFL IS BIGGER THAN THE PREMIER LEAGUE, M I RITE?

Sure they do. Keep telling yourself.

AND THE NFL IS BIGGER THAN THE PREMIER LEAGUE, M I RITE?
well the NFL is bigger then the EPL in the USA.
I mean, what is the problem in admitting that soccer is not the be all and end all for everybody or everywhere.
Does it really matter that the yanks or the canadians or us aussies have little interest in soccer ?
is it such a tragedy that the Olympics is the worlds biggest sporting event ?
for a game you claim is so big, you fans are so so insecure

2 questions

how does 1 poor world cup kill off soccer

what makes you think an australian world cup would be poor. we all know australians love sport, and its been proven that if its a good game of soccer (wc qualifer, beckham game, ect) people will attend in there 10's of thousands

NO, you go do the work, IT has been argued in other posts.

Very well.

1) TV ratings.

The last Olympics drew ~40b cumulative. The last WC drew ~26.29b.

But hang on. The Olympics hosted 302 events, which the WC held only 64 matches. By that measure, if the WC held as many matches as the Olympics did events, the WC would be watched by a cumulative of ~105.16b people. Conversely, with 64 events, the Olympics would draw only 10b viewers.

2) Number of competing nations.

204 NOCs entered the last Olympics, while 32 nations played in the last WC.

Of course, the qualifications process was conveniently left out. Due to the nature of soccer, a long qualifications process is necessary to draw 32 finalists from all the soccer federations that enter the WC. 204 federations, to be exact, for the last qualifications process.

Apart from that, the only other arguments I've seen are "more people are interested" and "it has a bigger spirit and majesty". Which don't hold up well in debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we allow the WC here so we can kill off soccer world wide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back