Should we have a nickname change?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the gurnsey and colours now..The power..its ok not fussed about it...But the song really bugs me we could have a better song...we used to have a great song..Team songs need to be old school traditional ra ra ra to be inspiring.

I love the gurnsey and colours now..The power..its ok not fussed about it...But the song really bugs me we could have a better song...we used to have a great song..Team songs need to be old school traditional ra ra ra to be inspiring.

I used to not like it. But it doesn't matter if it's not great. Cos of that start.

Weeee've gootttt theeeeee

After that, the song doesn't matter. That's the signature part and it works.

PAFC.jpg

Captain ebert, both good designs

probably the one on the right, and have the 1870 infront of the prison bars

or have it where it is and have est 1870 instead of just 1870

Imagine the up roar if we used the same logo???:eek:

Absolutely no need to change the logo apart from taking the word power out and replacing it with 1870.

Both teams can wear it as it has the prison bars built in.

No nickname, just Port Adelaide.

If we'd been the Port Adelaide 70's, we'd probably have a lot more general support. Lends itself to a whole bunch of imagery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide 70s, I like that!

Seriously though, if we could go back in time and start again, I think the PB jumper just with some silver added would have been the way to go. As for the nickname, I don't mind Power but I would have preferred just Port Adelaide without a nickname.

Actually, we could drop Power, just be Port Adelaide and have fans come to the games dressed in the PB jumper and chanting "Magpies" in the outer. Then we'd be a true club of the people!

By the way, does anyone know where we got the lightning bolt fist logo from? It looks to me like a straight rip off from the Oakland Invaders (circa 1983) of the long defunct USFL.

Without a nickname would have been ideal.

As plenty of people have posted before, if we subbed out the white for charcoal and had a 'black on black' look we would have looked pretty fierce.

Without a nickname would have been ideal.

As plenty of people have posted before, if we subbed out the white for charcoal and had a 'black on black' look we would have looked pretty fierce.

As a 15 year old lad the whole teal/fist pumping unveiling was the furthest thing from attractive or cool they possibly could've done, and I was as die hard as Bruce Willis.

Would love to hear an in-depth and brutally honest retrospective from Bucky'n'Boults about it all, from the branding to the Ethelton fiasco. I can't imagine either would want to risk tarnishing their legacies, but we pretty much bent over and voluntarily invalidated our greatest strengths.

Would love to hear an in-depth and brutally honest retrospective from Bucky'n'Boults about it all, from the branding to the Ethelton fiasco. I can't imagine either would want to risk tarnishing their legacies, but we pretty much bent over and voluntarily invalidated our greatest strengths.

Thanks to Collingwood there wasn't it! It today still remains the most ridiculous thing in our sport that one club believes it has the right to monopolise a set of colours!

The nickname I can understand but jumper was too far and ridiculous!

With your post and re thought maybe our nickname should be the bitches :)

Thanks to Collingwood there wasn't it! It today still remains the most ridiculous thing in our sport that one club believes it has the right to monopolise a set of colours!

The nickname I can understand but jumper was too far and ridiculous!

With your post and re thought maybe our nickname should be the bitches :)

The classic prisonbar and Magpie emblem was always going to be off the table, but our response of 'Port Power' and a teal-based pop-art guernsey was ridiculously avant garde for a 125yo institution that had worn the classiest colours of all since 1902.

The PAMFC/Ethelton fiasco could've been handled better, with extended modeling showing how badly we'd be disadvantaged if our supporter base and branding was forcibly cleaved in two, rather than accepting the gun to the head of spending millions relocating the Magpies. Issues like the original business licence were avoidable.

REH quotes Richard Colless from his time as WCE CEO about a bad deal being preferable to sidelines, but holy shit.

We've been in damage control for 10+ years now.

As a 15 year old lad the whole teal/fist pumping unveiling was the furthest thing from attractive or cool they possibly could've done,.

This just brought back a terrible vision in my head - the mechanical fist was, for me, the worst most embarrassing thing that we have done over the AFL part of our journey.
I cringed large-time when I first saw that trundling around the boundary...

This just brought back a terrible vision in my head - the mechanical fist was, for me, the worst most embarrassing thing that we have done over the AFL part of our journey.
I cringed large-time when I first saw that trundling around the boundary...

Given how uncomfortably veiny it was as it crawled its way past scores of oblivious children, rather than a stylised lightning bolt it should've grasped an empty West End Export stubbie.

It didnt make sense that a club with arguable the greatest history in the game of Aussie Rules would resort to such a "in the moment" and "trendy" colours and moniker.

I would of thought something more traditional would appeal far more to our fan base at that time even if we couldnt be the magpies with black and white.

the world was an entirely different place in 97 compared to 07 and in 2017 i bet half the competition will look different again.. hindsight, what a thing it is. all the mascots were cringe worthy when you look at them now

I still don't have a problem with the teal. Why shouldn't the addition of a 90s team colour have been done? Entering the AFL is an important time in the club's history.

The Power bit still doesn't sit well though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have a nickname change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back