Should West Australian teams get salary cap concessions?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've argued for a long time that the WA teams should get a COTA (Cost of Travel Allowance) as compensation for the fact that historically speaking, players careers are shorter out West because of the travel.

Players earn less out West than they do in Melbourne because of the shorter career span.

Yeah but in Perth there is only two teams and every player is worshipped like a god in a large city with no other celebrities. I have spent a lot of time in Perth and even the most average player for The Eagles or Dockers doesn't have to pay for anything. They can buy a house then have it completely renovated for free, have it furnished with the best furniture for free, eat and drink everywhere for free. They basically don't need a wallet, if you are an AFL player in WA just walk outside your door and whatever you want is handed to you.

An average list clogger in Perth is treated like Buddy Franklin would have been in Melbourne in his prime at the Hawks

:sweatsmile: Absolutely not.
All clubs have to treated the same or the competition becomes a joke. I for one would refuse ro respect any flags won by WA clubs with salary cap concessions.
Like all the concessions your club gets give me a spell the AFL's team has been set up like no other and can't possibly fail with all the rubbish concessions you guys get turn it up about having no respect for winning a premiership under that premise.

For what its worth i don't think the eagles or dockers should get any concessions nor should the rest of the comp

A rookie contract is what? 110k a year?
And a lot of guys live together early on.

Most work related items, if not all, travel and training is provided for.
I don't know diet and supplements work

If anything, it should be an allowance to pay players recruited from interstate a little more (say 10%) without it counting in the cap to help set them up and retain them for the first 6-7 years.

After that, free agency kicks in and they can sort themselves out

Like all the concessions your club gets give me a spell the AFL's team has been set up like no other and can't possibly fail with all the rubbish concessions you guys get turn it up about having no respect for winning a premiership under that premise.

For what its worth i don't think the eagles or dockers should get any concessions nor should the rest of the comp
Read on soldier

Should we have some kind of allowance (maybe a larger salary cap) in order to entice players, such as free agents, to play over here ?

It's not the most enticing place to play because you could be a big hero in Melbourne and not have to fly across the country every second week. So it's difficult to attract even WA blokes back over here.

The amount of oppotunities you get to earn after your career and sponcerships is so much more over in W.A. ive know a freo player get offered an extra 100k and a year to go to victorin club. he would of lost out on his part time job and his oppotunities in w.a. it wasnt worth it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Victorian clubs that aren't very good should also get salary cap relief given players generally move to "destination clubs" that offer benefits like fancy post-AFL careers; I mean that shitty Cloke guy even got on the Footy Show and he can't even form a sentence. It's a national disgrace.

Every club should get a salary cap concession of an extra $20,000 for a player who is on under $300,000 a year but who is from another state.
Nah I rather just give Draftees and rookies 2-3 year deals at $150,000 a year. That amount of money they can live off more than bread amd water

I wouldn't expect Victorians to understand this issue. We are the minority here. So no offence to all you Vics, but it really isn't your issue to discuss.

Check your vic-privilege?

That'd be Vic-splaining heh?

Make this thread an interstate safe-place?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should West Australian teams get salary cap concessions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back