Silly Season - Whispers

Remove this Banner Ad

First ive heard of it, but he played all his footy there before coming to seville so it could be the case. Early mail was he was having a "year off" but the boys we hoping he would get keen closer to the start of the season.

Not good news. The were struggling to fill their senior teams in the second half of last year.

If yarra glen are even remotely close to last year they would have to be early favorites. Unless seville or junction do some decent late recruiting. Looks like it will be a pretty even year between the top 4 or 5 sides. No standouts like the blues and emerald last year.

Belgrave will be the team to beat with the only real challenge coming from Yarra Glen.

Wonderful post some of your best right there.:eek:
Ditto! You made a query which omitted reasons. However:
The salary cap was a toothless dog because the money trail was impossible to audit.
That's why........the Points System.
As I understand it, each player changes clubs/leagues, he is classified under the points system according to the rules adopted by that league. So e.g., an EFL player entering the YV gains two points (AFL draws 4 points). For each year he remains with that club, he is deducted a point until the base allocation of 1. This is to encourage club loyalty. When he transfers interclub or interleague, then he attracts the appropriate points (in YVMDFL case, 2 points) back.
When clearances are lodged, the points are allocated depending on the player's source. Hence, all clubs/leagues know the total points for each player and therefore each declared side.
No system is perfect. It can be rorted. False declarations of team lists or identities can be done, but the clubs and individuals pay a heavy price if detected. It's fraud - and difficult to evade detection.
Almost impossible to trace and audit cash as the clubs book keeping is held to be sacrosanct, unreliable or completely fictitious, so under counter payments or deals were easily made. Not so with the centralised Points System.
I had assumed that you knew all this.

Monniehawk on a side issue from the fingers ignorance, I see that Adam Gee has signed a clearance from the ammos to Mulgrave fc! Would imagine that the movers and shakers up at the hawks would have certainly had him in there sights and would be dissapointed with his decision? Or is he not unlike the clevens and has some sort of tie to Mulgrave ?

Adam has been a great player with Monbulk and the YVMDFL from 2003 (about 7 years and 111 games, 2 flags and a B&F, maybe) so we wish him well in the next phase of his football. He maintains strong ties with a significant number of our members.
I think Adam started his football with Mulgrave and it would be fitting that his twilight years should be spent there.
Hopefully someone will correct any of my errors and omissions.
Terrific clubman, and outstanding player.

We all know what happened to Wowara. History about to repeat?
Finger, after reading a lot of your posts, it seems to me that u have a real beef with wandin fc. why r u having a crack at them for trying to better themselves as a club. surely u know that bringing in new blood to a club can only benefit it, hopefully make it successful by bringing in more cars thru the gate coz as i would hope u know, all clubs in the valley could do with extra coin. wandin been down for afew years now, time for a change maybe. u dont seem to get on upweys back too much. take a look at their recruits over the past few years. seem to work for them i'd say.

Hey guys just had a quick look at the fixture for Division 2 and noticed Thornton-Eildon haven't got a side again (nothing on the club website says it though) just wondering the reason why they couldn't get started again because they seemed to be quiet a strong club for Division 2. Is it money problems or lack of interest that has put the club in recess?
Does the club still have juniors? Do they still have a netball side?
Where would most of the senior footballers play now? Alex, Bonnie Doon?

Sorry about the questions just a bit sad to see a pretty proud club still in recess. Any replies would be appreciated.

Whats going on with Div 2 this year? Give me something!

Was expecting to hear plenty from junction.Tyson wheeler off to wandin and selby to monbulk, both can play.
Early talk was Belgrave were looking good are those pickups still on the cards?
Yarra glen have lost a few.
Alex, Kinglake, Yea, Powelly?
2 or 3 seinor players gone from the potato chip, but still have depth. Eckers hasnt been ruled out. Will be thereabouts again. If O'Donnell doesnt play ranges he will be one to look out for this year, he racked up 6 best ons in 7 or 8 senior games last year as a 16-17 year old. Having quaily 18s sides the last few years has helped inject a a lot of handy kids in the senior team, this year will be no different. No good pickups that i am aware of though which is a bit of a concern.

Ive got nothing really i just wanna get some talk happening...

Belgrave have recruited well, with a couple of big key forwards along with a couple of midfielders. I've heard Yarra Glen have grabbed a few from Norwood as well, so I'd expect them to be the pacesetters. As for the rest, haven't heard much else.

Hey guys just had a quick look at the fixture for Division 2 and noticed Thornton-Eildon haven't got a side again (nothing on the club website says it though) just wondering the reason why they couldn't get started again because they seemed to be quiet a strong club for Division 2. Is it money problems or lack of interest that has put the club in recess?

Sorry about the questions just a bit sad to see a pretty proud club still in recess. Any replies would be appreciated.
From an email sent by the league last year
Thornton Eildon have been working hard over 2011 to renter the Competition in 2012, unfortunately they have been unsuccessful in attracting enough players to participate in 2012 and therefore will not be fielding any teams in 2012,

hi im trying to find out where ex afl players go after they are off afl list . so im looking to know if any ex afl listed or rookie players are playing in your competition? hopefully someone can help me
Must be doing some heavy research! Every Vic league board has an identical post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exciting it is to see The Finger go around for another season, I think it's great for footy. I was a little worried there for a little while I thought Monniehawk was going to try and be the ring leader... Dont worry Oldwaterboy it took our old mate The Finger 3 seasons to get over his little hissy fit with Silvan! Lets just hope this year he can remember which alias he's logged in under before he posts his highly researched opinoins on here. Hey Oldtimer is Worowa that club that Woori Yallock formed in the 90's to keep themselves out of 2nd division? If Grayling couldn't sink Wandin I think they'll keep there heads above water. Fevola off to Yarrawonga is a very interesting choice of club? A very well known SP Bookie in Australia is from out that neck of the woods...

How exciting it is to see The Finger go around for another season, I think it's great for footy. I was a little worried there for a little while I thought Monniehawk was going to try and be the ring leader... Dont worry Oldwaterboy it took our old mate The Finger 3 seasons to get over his little hissy fit with Silvan! Lets just hope this year he can remember which alias he's logged in under before he posts his highly researched opinoins on here. Hey Oldtimer is Worowa that club that Woori Yallock formed in the 90's to keep themselves out of 2nd division? If Grayling couldn't sink Wandin I think they'll keep there heads above water. Fevola off to Yarrawonga is a very interesting choice of club? A very well known SP Bookie in Australia is from out that neck of the woods...

I have noticed Warby Hwy that you joined in Dec 2011 yet you seem to know a lot about the Finger. Perhaps you have been here before under an alias?

Very kind of you to do a little homework on me Broken Bones, I appreciate that. I rest assure you I'm not quite intelligent enough to remember that much information just to post on here... I think if you read any of my posts you'll see I'm pretty honest and straight down the line. But if you wanna think that I'm happy for you to try and work it out. You did only join last midyear yourself so don't try and intimidate me with your veteran like approach. Hey by the way how do you think we'll fair this year, big chance of finals I reckon!

Very kind of you to do a little homework on me Broken Bones, I appreciate that. I rest assure you I'm not quite intelligent enough to remember that much information just to post on here... I think if you read any of my posts you'll see I'm pretty honest and straight down the line. But if you wanna think that I'm happy for you to try and work it out. You did only join last midyear yourself so don't try and intimidate me with your veteran like approach. Hey by the way how do you think we'll fair this year, big chance of finals I reckon!

Intimidation? Hardly Warby Hwy said very much with tongue in cheek (maybe they need a simble for that). Just making an observation that is all. You are right i have not been on this forum long nor have i gone back and read posts from people 3 seasons ago. Learning as i go you might say. As for making finals this year i think we have a great chance. Pav is looking real fit, Nat Fyffe is a gun, Barlow will be over his injury and lets not forget about Morabito he will be a gun. My only concern is Ross Lyon. Not sure what he will bring to the table. Hopefully though we will have plenty to cheer about:thumbsu:

I think it was more lack of interest than anything Punt Road Feral, the club was financially viable but with players leaving and retiring it was never going to get up in 2011 which was sad to see as the senior side made the finals in 2010. A group of players and comittee tried again to get a side for this season but with many players going elsewhere and also alot not playing at all the numbers just didn't stack up.

Player wise Alexandra and Wandin have been the winners with 10 or so playing at Alex last year and I think about 6 or 7 at Wandin although that will increase this year with former senior players Luke Sharp and Brandon Kapakoulakis ( won Thorntons last 2 b & f's as well as div 2 under 18) also being cleared there for this season but of the 44 players who played seniors and ressies in the last game only half of those would still be playing at all which is where the major problem was. Hope that helps

Was having a couple of quiet beers in a pub just out of town and happened to hear a few comments that grabbed my attention and what better place to share them to see the extent of the truth. The club involved being Wandin and it does appear there are a few on here that are affiliated up there. Judging by the conversation where I quote sick of putting my hand in my pocket to support a side of over paid players that I have never heard of only to miss finals! They went on to talk about the clubs major draw for the year which was won by the president and the club then receiving a fine for the raffle. We can only hope things stay in check off field up there this year.

Bit harsh gun
From the outside it was a bold choice to pick a young coach
It had to be a massive improve on what they had!
Yep lots of efl transfers, Some worked some don't, jmac and the ruck man will be losses
I thought they ran the top sides and topped the ones they should have won
I think they will be the big movers in 2012

The old bar room talk... Sick of this and sick of that... Good to see some passion about the kennel.

If you talk facts here they are
The club has not played in finals for a long time
The old club stalwarts did the job ten years ago & did the job 2 years ago for different reasons
Last year club went from 3 wins - 2 against worst side seen in a long time - to 8.5 wins last year.
Coach has a budget - not extravagant - and has worked it to improve the club playing list
Raffle - seriously? Must have been runner up this person

The old I'm sick of no success story and don't know the blokes story is easily fixed. Get to training, introduce yourself to the 45 regulars training and tell them, I expect success. May find out that the club is trying for the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Silly Season - Whispers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back