News Skilled Stadium revamp for World Cup bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Skilled Stadium revamp for Soccer WC bid!!

Cats beware ... make sure the taxpayer carries the debt, that its not paid off by footy fans because thats whats happening at the MCG: run by a cricket club, backed by taxpayer funds, paid off by footy fans.

Dont get suckered here.

if it were to happy it may encourage more cats fans to come down the highway to watch home games knowing they'd get a seat. More walk up general admission and the possibility of finals.

Sorry mods, didnt see this announced on the redevelopment thread. feel free to merge

I agree with above post 100%. Who is paying? Soccer federation - organisers -. I will accept a split between AFL, Soccer and tax payers--- like 50 -30 - 20. After all tax payers will receive benefit.

Interestingly, the only stand that exists on the artists impression is the Hickey Stand. Even the new Premiership Stand is not included in the impression. Surely it would have to stay?

Interestingly, the only stand that exists on the artists impression is the Hickey Stand. Even the new Premiership Stand is not included in the impression. Surely it would have to stay?

i would've thought it would stay as well. Maybe they'll just replace the roof and have the rest of the seating plan match that stand all the way around ??

$300 Million !!
Bring it on.

Maybe Geelong will get a soccer team to go with it

Maybe they'll just replace the roof and have the rest of the seating plan match that stand all the way around ??
But doesnt the roof of the new stand look like that anyway? (beside the extended rain cover bit). To me it just looks like the new stand extended all the way around to meet up with the hickey stand.

828250-skilled-stadium.jpg

yeah you're probably right. they could just remove the extra cover part if they wanted to after the soccer.
It's a pity the Hickey stand side is hard up against the road otherwise they could have that stand with more depth

Cooky just said both new stands and the next stand will all stay as a part of that development.
Gee that guy is a star. Thank God GC didn't get him

Would be great for the GFC long term I am sure this would help membership if the home ground held an extra 10,000. It would probably mean we could play some of the bigger vic sides at home as well.

having to play at Docklands for a year would be worth it long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be great for the GFC long term I am sure this would help membership if the home ground held an extra 10,000. It would probably mean we could play some of the bigger vic sides at home as well.

having to play at Docklands for a year would be worth it long term.

I'm all for it BUT I'd imagine we'd get no home games for at least 2 seasons (minimum 1 to build it and another when the world cup is on).

I feel like am SEN here :)

Cook also said it was just an early estimate, but they thought they would miss for one year.

All games they would expect to be in Melbourne and they would still train in Geelong at a new training venue they are trying to develop.

He also said that membership has already passed 30k.
Fair effort.

I'm all for it BUT I'd imagine we'd get no home games for at least 2 seasons (minimum 1 to build it and another when the world cup is on).

We would lose the ground for one year max.

It would be built in stages like what currently is happening. So stage 3 within in the next 5 years (as is already planned) and stage 4 after that. So no loss of ground use due to redevelopment.

If it goes into the bid james then it is a done deal. You'd think

There's just no friggin' way the World Cup will be played at Skilled. Brumby will be saying anything and everything all year to try and keep votes, especially down Geelong way.

There's no friggin way the World Cup will be played in Australia, let alone Geelong.

But I, for one am all for it, should miracles of all miracles happen and we did get it.

Here's a question would Geelong be able to get home finals down there should the capacity increase with the re-development?? Or MCG/ Dome still win out..

One good thing about it, is that when we get to 44,000 we should well and truly be able to host AFL finals games and the upside of money we would make from ticket sales during the day.

As long as the state and federal government as well as the FFA foot at least 75% of the bill then its all good.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Skilled Stadium revamp for World Cup bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back