SNFL Div 4 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading the recent article it seems like the MPFNL clubs would rather protect their status and look after their own interests than help strengthen and grow the league in the long run.
Time for the SFNL to go after Seaford, Chelsea & Edi-Asp then, seeing that MPNFL have too many clubs already. ;)

How many seasons can Rye stay winless? When MPNFL are down to awkward numbers for 2 divisions, lets see them start knocking on doors

Time for the SFNL to go after Seaford, Chelsea & Edi-Asp then, seeming that MPNFL have too many clubs already. ;)

How many seasons can Rye stay winless? When MPNFL are down to awkward numbers for 2 divisions, lets see them start knocking on doors
They came knocking this year with zero planning and the vote was 7-15 against im told

They asked for applications before even speaking to the clubs about expansion hence the 7-15 vote
You'd have to think that would be a waste of everyone's time. You would truly want to go into the process with an agreed vision for how they want it to come out in the end. Divisions of 10, 8, 8 (4 additional clubs) to start before pehaps additionally adding a further two Clubs to second division creating 10, 10, 8 (2 additional clubs), some agreed way of selecting the Clubs to move from 2nd Div to 3rd Div for the establishment year, some clarity around geography of additional Clubs sought- eg current comp goes from Edi Asps across to Langy and Devon Meadows and down to Sorrento. Do they stretch a little north and a little east to take the boundaries to Mordy and Cranbourne. A rich diversity of Clubs in that total area. If these decisions hadn't been discussed and the required number of Clubs in agreement then why run the process?? 7-15 is appalling if that is the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure of which specific clubs, All ive been told is 8 clubs voted for no change at all so 14 were open to 2 teams coming in now/ future change

Well it needs 17 for change I have been told so if the MP League decide to open up again they are going to need to be sure they have the backing of the current clubs. At least 3 will need to change to join the 14 you gave said who are open to it. Maybe presidential change would bring that but from what I read it seems there are some pretty rusted on attitudes to maintaining the status quo. I’m wondering if clubs would bother applying again?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reading the recent article it seems like the MPFNL clubs would rather protect their status and look after their own interests than help strengthen and grow the league in the long run.
They would be growing the league, but would they really be strengthening it?

What would be the point of creating a Division 3, then filling it with clubs that will never get out of it?

Cranbourne would be an asset to the MPFNL, but the other names quoted - South Mornington, Skye, CPL - would not be able to compete with the stronger sides down there for years, if ever.

The only existing MPNFL side that I can see getting much out of it would be Rye (the bottom side in Div 2), who would get a respite.

The whole thing comes across as empire building by league officials. Number of teams is like dick size for league administrators.

Well it needs 17 for change I have been told so if the MP League decide to open up again they are going to need to be sure they have the backing of the current clubs. At least 3 will need to change to join the 14 you gave said who are open to it. Maybe presidential change would bring that but from what I read it seems there are some pretty rusted on attitudes to maintaining the status quo. I’m wondering if clubs would bother applying again?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
CPL & Dolphins have stated "yes".

They would be growing the league, but would they really be strengthening it?

What would be the point of creating a Division 3, then filling it with clubs that will never get out of it?

Cranbourne would be an asset to the MPFNL, but the other names quoted - South Mornington, Skye, CPL - would not be able to compete with the stronger sides down there for years, if ever.

The only existing MPNFL side that I can see getting much out of it would be Rye (the bottom side in Div 2), who would get a respite.

The whole thing comes across as empire building by league officials. Number of teams is like dick size for league administrators.
Sounds like most comps to me, promotion then next year relegated, then win flag again!
Fairly even comp 2nd div from looks of it but, take away the wins over RYE and you have some annual strugglers still struggling to struggle, what a taste of finals footy, in any div can do for a club.

Still Leaves a gaping hole in Div 4 next year with 7 teams any chance of the league going 12,12,14
Could do that but i think the gap would be too big from top 4 and bottom 4 in D3 its too big now in D4 - Would be perfect if they could attract another club or one drops out to make it 10-10-10-8 or 10-10-8-8 - Talk of St Johns or Masala or Hallam coming back? or Do Sth Yarra or Doveton drop back to thirds? Need an even number or your right Div 3 will have to have 9 or Div 4 7 again

Last edited:
For Div 4 to survive, Div 3 would need to get to 14.5 clubs. Otherwise it doesn't warrant having 8 and 6. Let's look at this way, Doveton Eagles and South Yarra are doomed, Masala and St. John's along with Narre Warren enter the SFNL. It's still only plus one.

A 14 club division is tricky, as double up games have a considerable bearing on the outcome of finals, but they can also provide respite for struggling clubs. I just hope the SFNL don't stuff it up and leave clubs in untenable positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

SNFL Div 4 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back